THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Trent Richardson The Pick?

CTownVol

"The Cleveland Browns remain uncertain exactly how to handle running back Peyton Hillis. Some in the organization want to try and keep him, while others want to part ways and draft Alabama's Trent Richardson. I think the draft option will win out, but no one knows for certain just yet."

CBS Sports Report

Will Trent be the pick? I would love it. He is the best back to enter the draft since Adrian Peterson and will have a similar impact in the NFL. He is the real deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Out My Mock Draft

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Cleveland Browns remain uncertain exactly how to handle running back Peyton Hillis. Some in the organization want to try and keep him, while others want to part ways and draft Alabama's Trent Richardson. I think the draft option will win out, but no one knows for certain just yet."

CBS Sports Report

Will Trent be the pick? I would love it. He is the best back to enter the draft since Adrian Peterson and will have a similar impact in the NFL. He is the real deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Out My Mock Draft

He's no Adrian Peterson.

Zombo

Hes also not worth a top 5 pick, not enough value in the RB position to take one that high you can do your damage in round 2 and on......I just did something about how the top 5 backs in the NFL none were a first round pick...I believe it was Arain Foster,Micheal Turner,Ray Rice,MJD and someone else im forgeting

Hes also not worth a top 5 pick, not enough value in the RB position to take one that high you can do your damage in round 2 and on......I just did something about how the top 5 backs in the NFL none were a first round pick...I believe it was Arain Foster,Micheal Turner,Ray Rice,MJD and someone else im forgeting

Lesean McCoy or Fred Jackson

Shady, Ray Rice, and MoJo were all 2nd rounders I believe.

Not to mention we have even had some RBs put up yards like Peyton Hillis, Rueben Droughns, Jerome Harrison. Trent definitely has the potential to be great, but I would rather grab someone with our 22 pick at RB if we are taking a RB high.

and will have a similar impact in the NFL.

which is essentially...nothing?

bottom line is really all that matters. AP has the same amount of rings as shaun alexander, as barry sanders, as arian foster. none....

regardless of what hillis does, neither situation necessitates taking a fucking rb at 4. in case no one noticed, we're about a 60-70% passing team under shurmur thus far, and a nice new rb is a toy we just dont need. i'll take obi, jackson and smith....

the days of the feature backs are long gone.

I agree, I just have serious problems taking a RB high in the draft. But let me say, I love Trent's game and think he will successful, so no offense but:

1. I believe a successful RB is a combination of the RB himself, the blocking (6-8 other people), and a successful passing game so the D cant load up the box.. But with a good passing game and blocking, I think average RBs do just fine, and other positions are of more importance.

2. RBs have a relatively short shelf life. Running backs arent in the league long enough to invest a top 5 pick in them, especially because I think we are at least 2 more years away from serious contention. The wear and tear on every down takes its toll and either the RB becomes ineffective after a couple of years orrrr

3. the RB will get a serious injury and not be the same again, more than at other positions because of the heightened risk, the need for the position to maintain speed/agility..

More than other skill positions, I think RBs are interchangeable and dont impact the game as much as some think.

Look at the 12 playoff teams this year: ATL, DET, GB, NY G, NO, SF, DEN, BAL, CIN, PIT, NE, HOU. out of those 12, I'd say only Rice, Gore, and Foster are "elite" (25%). SF has an amazing defense to carry the team and Gore has had more than his share of injury trouble. Houston, also very good D, and Foster was injured a fair amount this year and Ben Tate stepped in and tore it up (btw when McFadden was injured, Bush stepped in just fine). And Baltimore has a great D, I love Ray Rice though.

Hopefully you can follow my ramblings im spitballing at work, but bottom line: I dont think the RB position is that key to have a successful team and there is a high risk for injury and a short shelf life. Maybe I'd feel ok if we trade with Miami and pick Trent at the 8/9 slot while picking up additional picks.

Trent Richardson would be the safest pick.

RG3 may light it up or he may fail... like just about any QB that has come to Cleveland.

Blackmon may be a legit #1 or he may be a little better version of Greg Little. Now that Greg has been though a season as opposed to missing the previous one, I wonder how much of a jump we'll see from him. However, Greg and Blackmon are similar.

Claiborn would be a nice addition but how good will he be in the pros? Is it possible he'll be as good as Bodden or Eric Wright was or will he be a MacDonald?

Quinton Coples I have mixed feelings about taking this kid at 4 overall, definitely a gamble.

I think that an Offensive Lineman would also be pretty safe if his name was Kalil. Maybe even another OL if he impresses during the combine. But that's not much of an impact player at 4.

Trent Richardson has the ability and skill set to step right in if Peyton Hillis leaves and we wont miss a beat. We loved the angle Hillis brought us last year. I tough blue collar worker that takes a hit as well as giving them. Trent is 20 pounds lighter than Hillis but all indications are that he is just as strong! Plus, being lighter he's got a much more explosive first step. Ideally I'd like to sign Hillis to a contract extension and also draft Richardson- maybe Jim Browns will even announce the pick... now that would be special. Last year we had crap for Runningbacks and if Hillis leaves... than good riddance to him- because I'm sure that with a reduced roll and Richardson to help carry the weight, his contract offer will be more than fair. If Hillis walks out on us than he never was a Brown... just another guy looking for a paycheck or another Eric Wright that don't have the stones to stick around and prove that he can hang with the big boys.

I want Richardson, Kendall Wright(which I believe will be our version of Desean Jackson), Chase Minnifield and Vontaze Burfict and possibly RG3... That's not asking much right? Hell, I'd give up all the picks in the next draft to land all these guys plus a stud at OT and DE.

I cant believe anyone in this regime would even consider taking richardson with pick 4 considering all the parts we currently lack, let alone that they are divided about it...

So much for the 3 heads one mind thingy..

Its more like one no show boss calling the shots, one pissed off GM with no control and an over conservative newbie idiot coach that doesnt know what he needs and has no say anyways..

Sounds kinda familiar to me..hehehehe ;)

More than other skill positions, I think RBs are interchangeable and dont impact the game as much as some think.

Look at the 12 playoff teams this year: ATL, DET, GB, NY G, NO, SF, DEN, BAL, CIN, PIT, NE, HOU. out of those 12, I'd say only Rice, Gore, and Foster are "elite" (25%). SF has an amazing defense to carry the team and Gore has had more than his share of injury trouble. Houston, also very good D, and Foster was injured a fair amount this year and Ben Tate stepped in and tore it up (btw when McFadden was injured, Bush stepped in just fine). And Baltimore has a great D, I love Ray Rice though.

Yes the correlation between having an elite running back and an elite team is poor, and If you look at the top running backs of 2012, I have to believe NONE of them were top 5 picks. Arian Foster wasn't even drafted!

The NFL for better or worse has morphed into a passing league, and if you look at the teams that made the playoffs, 10 out of the 12 teams had darn good (or great) qbs. You could probably make the argument 11 out of 12, considering Schaub was instrumental getting Houston in before he got hurt.

Trent WILL be better than Ray Rice and that is reason alone to pick him up. Okay, say that the Bengals end up picking Richardson and we have to face them both(Rice and Richardson) twice a year! Given our history as the easiest team to gain yards on the ground against, c'mon man we can't let them get this guy, we'll never get to the playoffs, in essence it's addition by subtraction(from Cincy)! ;)

Arian Foster was an undrafted Free Agent. So much for scouting.

I agree, I just have serious problems taking a RB high in the draft. But let me say, I love Trent's game and think he will successful, so no offense but:

1. I believe a successful RB is a combination of the RB himself, the blocking (6-8 other people), and a successful passing game so the D cant load up the box.. But with a good passing game and blocking, I think average RBs do just fine, and other positions are of more importance.

2. RBs have a relatively short shelf life. Running backs arent in the league long enough to invest a top 5 pick in them, especially because I think we are at least 2 more years away from serious contention. The wear and tear on every down takes its toll and either the RB becomes ineffective after a couple of years orrrr

3. the RB will get a serious injury and not be the same again, more than at other positions because of the heightened risk, the need for the position to maintain speed/agility..

Hopefully you can follow my ramblings im spitballing at work, but bottom line: I dont think the RB position is that key to have a successful team and there is a high risk for injury and a short shelf life. Maybe I'd feel ok if we trade with Miami and pick Trent at the 8/9 slot while picking up additional picks.

You don't think that Danny Woodhead is an elite back?

Trent Richardson would be the safest pick.

RG3 may light it up or he may fail... like just about any QB that has come to Cleveland.

Blackmon may be a legit #1 or he may be a little better version of Greg Little. Now that Greg has been though a season as opposed to missing the previous one, I wonder how much of a jump we'll see from him. However, Greg and Blackmon are similar.

Claiborn would be a nice addition but how good will he be in the pros? Is it possible he'll be as good as Bodden or Eric Wright was or will he be a MacDonald?

Quinton Coples I have mixed feelings about taking this kid at 4 overall, definitely a gamble.

I think that an Offensive Lineman would also be pretty safe if his name was Kalil. Maybe even another OL if he impresses during the combine. But that's not much of an impact player at 4.

Trent Richardson has the ability and skill set to step right in if Peyton Hillis leaves and we wont miss a beat. We loved the angle Hillis brought us last year. I tough blue collar worker that takes a hit as well as giving them. Trent is 20 pounds lighter than Hillis but all indications are that he is just as strong! Plus, being lighter he's got a much more explosive first step. Ideally I'd like to sign Hillis to a contract extension and also draft Richardson- maybe Jim Browns will even announce the pick... now that would be special. Last year we had crap for Runningbacks and if Hillis leaves... than good riddance to him- because I'm sure that with a reduced roll and Richardson to help carry the weight, his contract offer will be more than fair. If Hillis walks out on us than he never was a Brown... just another guy looking for a paycheck or another Eric Wright that don't have the stones to stick around and prove that he can hang with the big boys.

I want Richardson, Kendall Wright(which I believe will be our version of Desean Jackson), Chase Minnifield and Vontaze Burfict and possibly RG3... That's not asking much right? Hell, I'd give up all the picks in the next draft to land all these guys plus a stud at OT and DE.

and trent may be good and he might not be no one is a sure thing esp a rb in the top 5

CBS Sports Report

Check Out My Mock Draft

Can we stop with this bullshit that he's the best back since AP? He doesnt burst off the line like AP, he can't make cuts and shifts like AP, nor does he have that breakaway speed that AP has. He's very good at running behind blockers and running people over, but #4 overall? That's just stupid.

Hell, if Adrian Peterson himself were in this draft, I still wouldn't want the Browns to draft him with the pick.

Runningback is a LUXURY position. It's a position where you can find a gem in the 3rd or 4th round easy, why waste the #4 overall on it? We have far too many holes on this team to draft a position where he'll only be elite for 4-5 years and above average for another 3 (at best). It's a position with a 8-9 year lifespan. We use the #4 pick on a runningback, the teamis set back another 2-3 years.

You can have the fastest most powerful engine a car could contain, aerodynamic design and the best braking system available but if you have three flat tires you're going nowhere fast... that is essentially what the Browns have in Hardesty, Jackson and Obi... three flat tires...

You can have the fastest most powerful engine a car could contain, aerodynamic design and the best braking system available but if you have three flat tires you're going nowhere fast... that is essentially what the Browns have in Hardesty, Jackson and Obi... three flat tires...

Actually I think Hillis had the flat tire last year (hamstring) ba da da

Okay. Whatever, that's just details yo. Actually it was Jackson, Hardesty and Hillis that had the flat tires.

Trent WILL be better than Ray Rice and that is reason alone to pick him up. Okay, say that the Bengals end up picking Richardson and we have to face them both(Rice and Richardson) twice a year! Given our history as the easiest team to gain yards on the ground against, c'mon man we can't let them get this guy, we'll never get to the playoffs, in essence it's addition by subtraction(from Cincy)! ;)

Richardson's going to be better than Rice? Really? As good as Adrian Peterson who helped the Vikings to all of two wins before he got hurt?

Is this your player of the week you've fallen in love with? Last week it was Kalil- I hope you've come to your senses over that mistake. RGIII is a massive upgrade over McCoy, Blackmon is instantly our #1 WR, or Claiborne is a huge upgrade over Sheldon Brown. If RGIII is off the board, Richardson does become a viable option- but that's only if Hillis goes elsewhere.

You can't worry about what other teams are going to do- you have to do what's best for YOUR team. FWIW, Richardson won't fall to the Bengals, and Cincinnati NEVER trades up.

Okay. Whatever, that's just details yo. Actually it was Jackson, Hardesty and Hillis that had the flat tires.

yeah...ya know....just details. who should concern themselves with details when you can just run at the mouth and say whatever you want? it certainly adds credibility....i know it convinces me when you cant even get their names right....

The way the league is right now, RB's are not as important as they used to be. Look at the top teams in this years playoffs. Not that many highly drafted RB's. I think Richardson would be a good 2nd rounder for us but he will not go that deep. If we can keep hillis we do not need to draft a RB. I think the tandem of Hillis and Ogbannaya (Can't remember how to spell his name) bring back potential memories of Mack and Byner. Chris avg almost 5 yards a carry I believe.

I'm 100% on board with not taking this guy with the top pick, but don't underestimate how good this guy is. I feel like he's a slightly faster AP type with better hands out of the backfield. He's going to be a monster in the NFL, but everyone is right. the position isn't near as important as it used to be and it seems like there are always good guys in later rounds.

You know what, you guys can say whatever you want- But Richardson is going to be awesome. I love Hillis but Richardson is going to be better than Hillis will ever be. He's faster and better built for the position. He runs lower to the ground and is elusive and fast. He has the speed to get to the outside and can power it down the middle. Upgrading the runningback position with Richardson makes WAY more sense than upgrading the QB position with RG3. If Hillis walks than that means he doesn't want to be here. Colt is going to be good, he has heart and leadership AND he wants to be here and he's going to play his heart out for us. RG3 is a "potential" future star but nothing is certain- He may not even be better than Colt. However, it is a NO BRAINER(as much as I despise the term) that Trent Richardson WILL be a probowler maybe as early as next season. RG3 is a "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!" type and I'd rather he show off his socks somewhere else.

The #4 pick is about taking an IMPACT player, it will take RG3 years to be grown into an NFL QB. He has never faced the types of Defenses that he will face AND certainly not the likes of the STEELERS AND RAVENS DEFENSES!!! What are you guys saying? He will be schooled and I'm tired of all of you dissing Colt for some SCRUB that's never taken a down in the NFL. Colt will be a beast and IF RG3 had been in Colts place the last year and a half- he'd be pouting and crying so much his micky mouse socks would be soaking wet... or he'd be injured and his phony facade would be ruined forever.

I'm done, screw RG3 and his hype. Give Colt some weapons and a runningback that wants to be here. I will take that Kendall Wright though... HE MADE RG3!

The #4 pick is about taking an IMPACT player, it will take RG3 years to be grown into an NFL QB. He has never faced the types of Defenses that he will face AND certainly not the likes of the STEELERS AND RAVENS DEFENSES!!! What are you guys saying? He will be schooled and I'm tired of all of you dissing Colt for some SCRUB that's never taken a down in the NFL. Colt will be a beast and IF RG3 had been in Colts place the last year and a half- he'd be pouting and crying so much his micky mouse socks would be soaking wet... or he'd be injured and his phony facade would be ruined forever.

I'm done, screw RG3 and his hype. Give Colt some weapons and a runningback that wants to be here. I will take that Kendall Wright though... HE MADE RG3!

Wow, you sure know a lot about what will happen.... are you psychic?

Wow, you sure know a lot about what will happen.... are you psychic?

A little bit, yeah.

IF RGIII is an upgrade over Colt (im not sure that he is), then you would absolutely take an upgrade at QB over RB, are you kidding me?? If we still dont have a passing game next year, then defenses will continue to stack the box and I dont care how good the RB is, they wont do much.. Richardson (except for that one TD run) was stuffed the entire Championship game against LSU, a great RB cant just man handle an entire defense, you need a solid, well rounded offense for the RB to become a consistent huge threat..

I think Richardson will run a 4.49 or a 4.5, he dosent have breakaway speed....I think he is a great prospect but if we are really serious about taking Richardson the best decision we could make would be to trade back and grab him a little later while picking up more picks...

Archived