THE BROWNS BOARD

The Anatomy Of A Play

Earl34

First off, let me say that I know some of you really liked this feature last year. I really appreciate that. I'm sorry I haven't gotten one out sooner but I've just been swamped with work. These do take some time to put together.

For those who don't know what this "Anatomy of A Play" series is about, let me explain. This all began with the simple idea that I wanted to learn more about the nuances of the game. Sure, we can all watch the highlight shows and see that Peyton Hillis had a great TD run but the real football nut wants to dig deeper into the "how" and "why". I will start by saying that I am not an expert X's and O's guy but I (like you) have an interest in understanding the X's and O's better. So, what I do is choose a play (or in today's post...a couple of similar plays) and try to dissect what's going on. It's a fun exercise. If I can teach you something along the way, I will. If I don't know, I'll admit it. The discussions are generally pretty good.

By now, we've heard tons about the switch to a true West Coast system and the switch back to a 4-3 defense. This week I am choosing to talk about neither but to share with you something I've been working on since I last wrote one of these.

I've always wanted to know more about line calls on offense and HOW the X's and O's of blocking work. What is that center barking out while there's organized chaos before the snap? In run blocking you can have "zone" blocking schemes as made famous by Alex Gibbs in Denver or "man" schemes. What I want to show you today are some basic ideas about pass blocking. I'm choosing to talk about it today because I really feel that the two lines (offense and defense) are what won us the game on Sunday. Any of the regulars here can tell you that I am the worst critic of our offensive line so to see them play this well and to give them that credit is a big deal for me!

First, some background. Pass blocking at its basic level comes in the same two flavors as run blocking: "man" and "area/zone".

An area scheme is where a group of blockers set up in a given area and block whatever comes into their zone. This is good to prevent confusion when there are stunts by the defense (where one player loops behind another into a different gap). There are two fundamental problems with this. First, you may end up with a RB trying to block a defensive end or a LB (think Lawrence Taylor) and that's not good. Second, a TE or RB trying to pass protect an area may have trouble releasing into the pass pattern as a receiver.

How about Man schemes? The offensive front identifies their counterparts on defense and blocks them where they go. This is allows for the offense to dictate a little more of who's blocking whom. Running backs, because they are set back further away from the line, can go where their counterpart goes easier than a lineman. This seems to work a little better but is also predicated on knowing who's going to rush. If you end up in a man-to-man situation and there are rushers dropping into pass coverage and blitzers coming...there could be a group of linemen standing around blocking air while the attack on the QB is from a different direction. This is what Mangini/Ryan did with that "Amoeba" defense last year. The linemen couldn't pick up who to block pre-snap and there was confusion.

The truth of the matter is though that man and zone schemes tend to be run at lower levels of football. In the NFL, most teams use some form of combination protection and I am going to illustrate several examples below (forgive the collage photos...you can't link to too many photos on the message board...so I had to consolidate).

2011 Season, Week 3

Play #1-- Colt's Interception

You always hear that pressure leads to bad decisions and this play was no different. Let's start with a less than perfect play.

ColtPick.jpg

If you look at Photo A: We are in "11" personnel which means 1 RB and 1 TE. The strength of the formation is to the right. The Dolphins are in dime coverage (6 DBs). They have five rushers lined up and just before the snap a sixth rusher declares himself for the A-gap to Mack's right. That's six rushers. We have five linemen to block them. If Hardesty stays in to block, that's six blockers but Colt doesn't reassign the protection and Hardesty has pass receiving responsibilities. It's worth noting here that the WCO is predicated on having all five eligible receivers in the pass pattern. Yes, they'll leave a RB or TE in to block once in a while but that RB's value is really to catch passes out of the backfield.

Photo B shows:

1) the TE going out for a pass and the two A-gap rushers dropping out into zones.

2) Hardesty is going out to the flat. No pass protection for him. That's going to leave five protectors against four rushers. That is more favorable than 5 blocking six.

Teaching point: With no back or TE to protect, a very common way to protect is for the tackles to block a man straight up and the interior linemen to block an area. This is demonstrated by #3 (Thomas), #4 (Pinkston, Mack and Lauvao). #5 is Hicks and he's going to block the DE....BUT WAIT! Notice he is cutting across Hicks' face? That's because the Dolphins are employing a T-E stunt (tackle over end) and the DT is looping to the outside.

Photo C and D: #70 loops around and gets into Colt's face flushing Colt from the pocket. I omitted the next photo showing Hicks blocking #70 in the back.

So, this shows us a pass protection call that simply didn't pick up the rush. In that situation Hicks is supposed to pass his man off to Lauvao and pick up the DT. I am not saying this is easy but that's how a pro tackle is supposed to block that.

Play #2: Perfect Combo Blocking.

OK, here's a play you probably have forgotten. Here is a pass to Alex Smith mid third quarter for a first down.

HardestyRocks.jpg

Photo A: We have essentially the same formation as before except Hardesty is now to the weak side of the formation. Notice a highlighted area in front of Pinkston. That's called a "bubble". There's just air there...no man to block.

Teaching Point #2: Blocking with a running back in a Combo Scheme is USUALLY done as follows...Starting with the playside tackle he will block the man in front of him. The offensive linemen block man-to-man UNTIL THEY REACH THE BUBBLE. EVERYONE FROM THE BUBBLE ON GOING PLAYSIDE TO BACKSIDE WILL BLOCK ZONE BY BLOCKING DOWN A GAP AWAY FROM THE PLAYSIDE! As you can see through photos B and C, Thomas takes the DE, Pinkston has the bubble in front of him so he blocks down as do Mack, Lauvao and Hicks. They do a pretty good job.

Now for Hardesty. The back will block to the playside. His responsibility is to block anyone that the line doesn't block. If there are more than one he is to block "Mike to Sam" or "Inside to Out". If, as in this case, none of those guys rush...he is to release into a pass pattern. It's a beautiful thing to see Hardesty look like he knows exactly what he's doing but it's the inability to do this sort of thing that keeps other young RBs on the bench!

Play #3--Hardesty ROCKS!

Now, let's take what we've learned and watch the Browns make it work even better. Here is a play in the red zone that you've probably forgotten because Ben Watson dropped a perfect pass from McCoy but it's a thing of beauty otherwise because of the blocking. You know how to do this now....

Combo1.jpg

Starting at the top. There are 5 rushers showing with five linemen to block. We don't know what the play call is so Hardesty may or may not be staying in to block. My feeling is if he's on the side of the blitzing rusher he'll have some kind of responsibility to that. Let's see. Starting playside again.

Joe Thomas has a LB in front of him and a DE in a wide position ("9 technique" if you're keeping score). He has to block one or the other. Pinkston also has a man in front of him and now that bubble is in front of Mack, not Pinkston. So, using what we've learned, we would adjust the previous pass protection to have Thomas block the LB, Pinkston block his man and Mack and everyone to the right side will slide down a gap and block an area. This happens successfully as we see in the ensuing photos but what is beautiful is that Thomas crushes his guy inside and Hardesty chooses the right place to block and not only blocks his man but gets him on the ground. That's an "A" for everyone not named "Steinbach" and an A+ for Hardesty.

Play #4--Winning!

I was going to stop at three but no victory talk can be complete without looking at the play that actually put the Browns ahead.

Winning.jpg

If you look at the presnap read above, the Phins are rushing three (4 at most but he's almost certainly bluffing). That's leaving not one but two bubbles. The Browns choose the easiest option here. They choose to area block across the line (all 5 OLmen are area blocking) and Hardesty checks for a rusher and releases into the left flat. The Dolphins chose to sit back and play zone. Colt was protected...made the throw...MoMass made the catch. I include photo C to give Artis Hicks his due. He dominates Cameron Wake on this play. Well done Hicks! BROWNS WIN!

Credits: That's it guys and gals. There are many ways to choose to block these sorts of plays. I imagine that they all revolve around these ideas. The WCO loves to send out the TE so I don't imagine you'll see a lot of TE protections. RB if anything. I wish I could tell you that the OL is fixed but it's not. The Dolphins have some good defensive linemen but the real test will come against premier defensive fronts and guys like Hicks, Lauvao and Pinkston are going to have to really step it up.

In all fairness, I didn't come up with this on my own. The couple of places I've read it all seem to have copied one another. I am going to guess that the original came from my favorite football blog:

http://smartfootball.com/pass-protection/what-are-the-basic-principles-of-dropback-pass-protection#more-1831

I hope you enjoyed this and if I got something wrong or someone wants to add to it...please do post below!

That is some pretty decent pass blocking there. It looked to me like Colt was a little late on his reads and pulling the trigger. He had a bit of the deer-in-the-headlights look going on these past few weeks. It's probably the learning curve of the new offense, but from these plays illustrated, it sure doesn't look like it's the line fault.

IS Hardesty a generally good pass blocker? I know that was Harrisons knock, and wonder how Hardesty has looked to you in breaking down the game film?

Thansk, great stuff.

Thanks earl always enjoyed it!

Makes me sound like i know what im talkin about while watching the game to say oh shit TE! TE! FUUUU**! sounds better than oh shit tackle round end! tackle round end! FUUUUU**! Hehehehehe..

Keep it coming if you get the chance i love lookin over this stuff!

Hardesty impressed me he looks capable out there and hicks does better than cousins imho but we better keep em both because tony "baby soft" pashos while better than hicks and cousins put together wont last long before the bench is calling his name..

IS Hardesty a generally good pass blocker? I know that was Harrisons knock, and wonder how Hardesty has looked to you in breaking down the game film?

Thansk, great stuff.

I **think** Harrison was a poor pass blocker but more importantly, he was an "unwilling" pass blocker. NFL scouts use that term and perhaps it's obvious but there is the inability to block and the unwillingness to to do so. Harrison was at LEAST the latter of the two and probably both. I think that the more I watch Jerome fail to find any significance on an NFL field, it makes me believe that Mangini was right about him. He's a guy who won't do the essentials and that's not even counting his conveniently coming up lame against hard-hitting opponents.

Pass blocking technique can be taught and I think that Hardesty did fine last Sunday. Early in his career, Ricky Williams was quite a good pass blocker and besides his running ability I really believe that it's his pass blocking and receiving skills that have kept him in the league in his early 30's. If you're going to play RB in the NFL, you have to be able to read a front and pick up a blitz. Otherwise you're going to be one-dimensional and defenses are going to know why you're in the game which means you won't be in the game.

I **think** Harrison was a poor pass blocker but more importantly, he was an "unwilling" pass blocker. NFL scouts use that term and perhaps it's obvious but there is the inability to block and the unwillingness to to do so. Harrison was at LEAST the latter of the two and probably both. I think that the more I watch Jerome fail to find any significance on an NFL field, it makes me believe that Mangini was right about him. He's a guy who won't do the essentials and that's not even counting his conveniently coming up lame against hard-hitting opponents.

Pass blocking technique can be taught and I think that Hardesty did fine last Sunday. Early in his career, Ricky Williams was quite a good pass blocker and besides his running ability I really believe that it's his pass blocking and receiving skills that have kept him in the league in his early 30's. If you're going to play RB in the NFL, you have to be able to read a front and pick up a blitz. Otherwise you're going to be one-dimensional and defenses are going to know why you're in the game which means you won't be in the game.

Completely agree.

Being successful as a pass blocker is very important to being successful as an RB, in my opinion. Knowing the defensive fronts, the blitzes, seeing how the protection unfolds from your linemen, understanding defensive line stunts- all are things that can be attributed to pass blocking as well as running. They go hand in hand.

A good RB is an RB who can thinks pre-snap like a lineman. More often than not, the success of an OL is determined pre-snap. If an OL gets to the line and can't figure out who's going where on the defense before the snap of the ball, they're beat. It's rarely a case of matching up physically. As an OL, you've constantly got to be one step ahead of your man.

It's the same for a RB, too. A RB who gets to the line and can understand what the defense is doing before the snap of the ball can see the holes opening up before they actually do open up. And a good way to develop that vision is by paying attention when pass-blocking on earlier downs.

Now, all of this is thrown out on obvious passing situations, of course. Defenses completely change in those situations.

Now, all of this is thrown out on obvious passing situations, of course. Defenses completely change in those situations.

Not necessarily. On Monday night, the Cowboys were faced with 3rd and 21 on their final drive. That's as obvious a passing situation as you can have. Haslett dialed up a 0-blitz. That's no deep safety, man coverage and everyone else blitzes. Our most recent coach was on ESPN explaining how the Cowboys dealt with that and it basically boiled down to changing the alignment of the blockers presnap and forcing the Redskins to switch into a basic front. Once that happened, everyone on offense had a clearer picture of whom to block.

The Raiders did the same thing to the Jets all day long. They took all of Rex Ryan's beloved overload schemes (loading up one side of the formation) and kept forcing them to switch to a base-front alignment. That made the Jets D look very pedestrian.

Where the hell were you the first couple of weeks?

Working....insanely busy and three nights a week I am essentially a single parent when my wife works late.

I'm your biggest fan!! Great post. Would love to see narrative next to picture so that I'm not always scrolling up and down. But hey, we "anatomy" lovers can't be choosers. Thank you, again.

Archived