THE BROWNS BOARD

Rivalries

The Gipper

I start a new thread on this subject because I think it warrants it. Here is my comment in reaction to a statement by Ghoolie:

Still, let me get your honest opinion on this: Ghoolie claims that "it is the Ravens-Steelers rivalry that is the biggest in the AFC North and there can be no denying it".

Do you agree with him? I do not.

I claim that the Ravens-Steeler rivalry is simply a rivalry based on two currently consistently good teams going up against one another for division supremacy, and that it has nothing to do with the innate rivalry between the two teams and two cities.

It is like the Colts-Patriots rivalry. That is only a rivalry because those two teams happen to be good right now with each team having a superior QB. But it is not an inherent natural rivalry. It is also like the Steelers/Raiders rivalry of the 70s. That was only a rivalry because both teams played "rockem-sockem" football and each was vying for supremacy in the AFC.

To my view, Baltimore's true natural rivalries should be with the teams in the east like Washington and Philadelphia, or even NYC. Certainly not Pittsburgh. Actually, they would have a more natural rivalry with the Browns because of the circumstances of their creation.

I say that the best natural rivalry in the AFC North...and in all the NFL is still Pittsburgh/Cleveland. It is just the lack of the Browns competitiveness lately in that rivalry that has dampened it a bit. What do you all think?

I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude. The Browns may have a "natural rivalry" with the Bengals because of the instate thing, but that rivalry has never been what the Browns-Steeler rivalry has been.

Yea, sure, Steeler fans hate the Ravens right now because they are your current stiffest competition....but what happens when the Browns right their ship?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Browns Steeler rivalry may be nasty on field, but it is not nasty off the field.

The nasty off-field rivalry has to be the Jets and Pats because of the following:

A. Remember, when Bill Parcells resigned as the HC of the Jets back in 1999, the Jets had a contract with Bill Belichick to succeed Parcells as Jets HC, but BB served one day by giving the Jets his resignation on a loose leaf sheet of paper where he simply said "I resign as the HC of the NYJ". He then was hired the next day by the Pats. The Jets issued a grievance saying that NE tampered with BB. Tagliabue agreed and awarded the Jets the Pats First round draft choice in 2000.

B. Then there was "Spygate". It was the Jets and Eric Mangini who snitched on NE and BB over their use of videotaping of the Jets sideline signals. Mangini knew the Pats were cheating, because he was probably part of it when he was DC of the Pats under BB, and when he became Jets HC he ratted his old team out. Again, the Commish came down on the Pats and they lost their 2008 First round pick as a result (but unlike the previous pick, this one was just forfeited. It did not go to the Jets).

Of course, despite these, it is the Pats who had 4 SB appearances and 3 wins to -0- in each category for the Jets.

Agree, it's Browns-Steelers for sure.Since Pitt has totally dominated us since our return in '99, outsiders don't perceive it as a big rivalry, but the truth is its the AFC's oldest rivalry.

The Ratbirds shouldn't even be in our division in the first place. I've mentioned that here thousands of times. The NFL failed when they set that up years ago.

This may be the best thing I've ever read here:

I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude.

Gipper is right the Steelers - Rat rivalry is only because they are both good tight now. When the Rats fade the Browns - Steeler rivalry will be what it once was. Sadly though because of the absence and 10 sub-par years many young Browns fans don't realize the significance of the Clev-Pitt rivalry and front running steeler fans think the rats are their main foe because their lack of an understanding of the rats creation in '96. Rat fans also believe this because well, they're rat fans.

On a personal note I despise the rats more than any professional franchise in existence. I like that nazi soccer team in "Victory" more than I like the rats. I really can't stand any of their fans either. When I see a rats jersey or a sticker on a car it makes me angry.

I shouldn't say this but I kept a kid off of a youth sports team I was running because the dad had rat stickers all over his truck and names and numbers of his favs on the back window. Those rat fans cried that there team was stolen from them and they were right they got the shaft as far as the colt go but then they did the same thing to the browns and didn't think twice about it. 2 wrongs don't make a right, what goes around comes around, NAMASTE!

I have more but I'll save it for rats week. Browns - Steelers thats the rivalry!

I wish is was the rivalry it once was, like when I was a baby, but it's not the one I know.

You talk about the current Cleveland generation that doesn't remember the glory days of the rivalry but you also have a whole generation in Pittsburgh that grew up with the Ravens as the main rival.

For all those born in the mid to late 80's the biggest AFC North rivalry to them is Steelers-Ravens.

Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

Yeah.. the thing is and I've always said it. I don't even understand steelers fans on thiis board. Not saying it is right or wrong. But we have been poop since our return.

Its hard to hate a team u beat up on. I hope we can get back to a rivalry soon. I hate the steelers almost more then the redsox.

Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

Not hard for me because I hate Cleveland fans more than I hate the Cleveland Browns. Neither of which being the reason for my presence on this board. I personally view the Ravens and the Browns on equal ground. I hate both fan bases, there is a bunch of history with the Browns and the knock down drag out games are currently with the Ravens. They're both "rivalries" in their own right. However for me it's still the Browns to a point, mostly because of all my college friendships that I'll have for a lifetime. Lots and lots of sh.it talking lol.

That's funny because for some reason you've posted on a Browns forum with Browns fans one thousand six hundred seventy seven times.

Damn, to each his own, but when I talk "hate," it begins with 1) the dead Osama Bin Laden 2) Governor Kasich 3) Steelers

AHH. The proof in the pudding. If the Browns-Steelers rivalry is supposed to be so limp as some think, Then why are we infested with trash talking Steeler trolls? Because they know the worth of this rivalry.

Why are we not infested with trash talking Raven or Bengal trolls.

I am not a troll, so I don't know what goes on on Ravens boards or Steeler boards, but I will wager a chicken dinner that it is nothing to what goes on here between Browns and Steeler fans.

I would wager that they don't go onto the Ravens board and get enfiladed like they do here. Whether or not the Browns team is up to taking the rivalry back to prominence, Browns fans certainly are.

Right Homotron. I mean, you can't go nowhere and get bitch slapped the way you can come here and get bitch slapped. Fair to say? (all in good fun, of course)

I remember on the AOL board where many of the regulars here were then and right after "the move" and then after their SB win we had a ton of Ravens fans (or as I called them "Crow-Mags" because they were actually a subspecies of human) come onto the Browns board with their little cockle-doodle-doos about "their" team after they won that Super Bowl. But, lo and behold that petered out pretty quickly because those fans of the Ratbirds were too pussified to take the shit we handed out to them...EVEN THOUGH is was they who had won a Super Bowl and had the winning records and had the upper hand as far as their team's on field play. They scattered away from here like ratbirds in a cornfield at the sight of a scarecrow or the sound of a shotgun.

The Steelers are our main rival, every year, regardless of who is up and who is down.

In typical bandwagon fashion, the Steelers have adopted the Ravens as their main rival because they don't understand tradition.

If the Steelers were down and we fought the Bengals and Ravens for the division title every year ... the Steelers would still be our biggest rival and the game we marked our calanders for every year. That's the difference between the two franchises ... We "get it", we understand the history and tradition of the league ... they just wanna wave their gay yellow towels, it doesn't matter who their "rival" is and it doesn't even matter if their quarterback is raping his way across America. They are just black and yellow sheep riding in the back of a big gay bandwagon.

Zombo

The Steelers are our main rival, every year, regardless of who is up and who is down.

In typical bandwagon fashion, the Steelers have adopted the Ravens as their main rival because they don't understand tradition.

If the Steelers were down and we fought the Bengals and Ravens for the division title every year ... the Steelers would still be our biggest rival and the game we marked our calanders for every year. That's the difference between the two franchises ... We "get it", we understand the history and tradition of the league ... they just wanna wave their gay yellow towels, it doesn't matter who their "rival" is and it doesn't even matter if their quarterback is raping his way across America. They are just black and yellow sheep riding in the back of a big gay bandwagon.

Zombo

We don't "get it"?

When we go to games at Heinz Field our main focus is loving OUR team, the satisfaction of beating whatever rival comes second.

I have a feeling it's the other way around in Cleveland.

Zombo

I don't know Zombo. I think that a lot of the Steeler fans do "get it" and know that the Browns are their biggest traditional rival.

I understand the necessity of them having to focus somewhat recently on the Ravens But that is simply because it has been them and the Ravens who have been the good teams. Here are the AFC North records in the last 10 years since 2001 when the 4 team set up began:

Steelers 13-3

Ravens 10-6

Browns 7-9

Bengals 6-10

Steelers 10-5-1

Browns 9-7

Ravens 7-9

Bengals 2-14

Ravens 10-6

Bengals 8-8

Steelers 6-10

Browns 5-11

Steelers 15-1

Ravens 9-7

Bengals 8-8

Browns 4-12

Bengals 11-5* won division

Steelers 11-5

Ravens 6-10

Browns 6-10

Ravens 13-3

Steelers 8-8

Bengals 8-8

Browns 4-12

Steelers 10-6 *

Browns 10-6#

Bengals 7-9

Ravens 5-11

*won division

#failed to make playoffs

Steelers 12-4

Ravens 11-5

Bengals 4-11-1

Browns 4-12

Bengals 10-6

Ravens 9-7

Steelers 9-7

Browns 5-11

Steelers 12-4

Ravens 12-4

Browns 5-11

Bengals 4-12

In this stretch the Steelers have won 6 Division titles and made the playoff one other time as a wildcard.

The Ravens have won 2 division titles and had 3 wildcard slots.

Oddly, the Bengals have won as many division titles as the Ravens...2..but have made no wildcard appearances. And the Browns have had just the one WC appearance in 2002, though the best year they have had since '99 (10-6 in 2007) failed to net them a playoff appearance.

Five times in the 10 years the combination of the Steelers and Ravens have finished 1-2 in the division.

Three times the combination of the Ravens and Bengals finished 1-2 in the division.

Twice the combination of the Steelers and Browns have finished 1-2 in the division.

Only once has the combination of the Steelers and Bengals finished 1-2 in the division.

There has never been a Ravens/Browns 1-2 finish.

While the Bengals have made all of 2 playoff appearances during these 10 years, and the Browns only one; the Steelers/Ravens combination has made 12 total playoff appearances including even meeting each other 3 times in this period including both of the last 2 years.

My point being that the Steelers/Ravens rivalry is at this point a matter of two teams going head to head.

If any of the other combinations of AFC meeting had this many tete a tetes, those too would be considered the preeminent rivalry.

I start a new thread on this subject because I think it warrants it. Here is my comment in reaction to a statement by Ghoolie:

Still, let me get your honest opinion on this: Ghoolie claims that "it is the Ravens-Steelers rivalry that is the biggest in the AFC North and there can be no denying it".

Do you agree with him? I do not.

I claim that the Ravens-Steeler rivalry is simply a rivalry based on two currently consistently good teams going up against one another for division supremacy, and that it has nothing to do with the innate rivalry between the two teams and two cities.

It is like the Colts-Patriots rivalry. That is only a rivalry because those two teams happen to be good right now with each team having a superior QB. But it is not an inherent natural rivalry. It is also like the Steelers/Raiders rivalry of the 70s. That was only a rivalry because both teams played "rockem-sockem" football and each was vying for supremacy in the AFC.

To my view, Baltimore's true natural rivalries should be with the teams in the east like Washington and Philadelphia, or even NYC. Certainly not Pittsburgh. Actually, they would have a more natural rivalry with the Browns because of the circumstances of their creation.

I say that the best natural rivalry in the AFC North...and in all the NFL is still Pittsburgh/Cleveland. It is just the lack of the Browns competitiveness lately in that rivalry that has dampened it a bit. What do you all think?

I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns. The Bengals were only created out of Paul Browns feud with Art Modell, and the Ravens were only created out of Art Modell's feud with his own financial ineptitude. The Browns may have a "natural rivalry" with the Bengals because of the instate thing, but that rivalry has never been what the Browns-Steeler rivalry has been.

Yea, sure, Steeler fans hate the Ravens right now because they are your current stiffest competition....but what happens when the Browns right their ship?

Good observations... My MAIN Rival is Cleveland (as a fan) Sorry .. If we lose to Baltimore I get over it. Lose to Cleveland it Stings. Then again I am a LIFELONG (pushing 5 decades) Steeler fan. and Gipper ~I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns.~ thats a Great Line dude !

We don't "get it"?

When we go to games at Heinz Field our main focus is loving OUR team, the satisfaction of beating whatever rival comes second.

I have a feeling it's the other way around in Cleveland.

Of course it is foolish of you to think that. What we do is to support our team, but any victory over our closest rivals makes those wins all the sweeter. Perhaps that is what you and YOUR ilk have lost site of because you take too much for granted.

For instance, back in the 2009 season the sorry Browns defeated the Steelers. It was a good win, but it was made sweeter by the fact that that victory caused the Steelers to lose out on a playoff birth. Had they beaten the pathetic Browns who were only 1-11 to that date they would have made a wild card birth and possibly a division title. As it was, that loss kept them out of the playoffs... but, apparently the lesson of that got lost on you all.

Good observations... My MAIN Rival is Cleveland (as a fan) Sorry .. If we lose to Baltimore I get over it. Lose to Cleveland it Stings. Then again I am a LIFELONG (pushing 5 decades) Steeler fan. and Gipper ~I mean, after all, the Steelers are the only team in the division that isn't a bastard stepchild of the Browns.~ thats a Great Line dude !

I am glad to hear that you get it.

I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.

I think, that in order for there to be a rivaly, teams have to have some kind of bragging rights. There are bragging rights in PA and there may be bragging rights in MA. But there is NO bragging rights in OH. Untill the browns can compete on a regular basis, no one in there right mind is gonna put any stock a browns/ steeler rivaly.

Well then clearly you have no idea about the concept of "rivalry".

I mean, do you think the Ohio State-Wisconsin rivalry is bigger than the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry? By your standards apparently it would have to be. For about the last decade Wisconsin has been a bigger threat to OSU in winning the Big Ten title than Michigan has been. If your only concept of rivalry is "who competes for the title" then the truth of it is there would be absolutely NO rivalries in sports at all.....just division races.

I can say I want the Steelers to beat the Browns, always. I'm still a bit upset we haven't avenged our 51-0 loss to open the 1989 season. Sure we blanked you like 3 times since then, but the margain of victory was never quite the same, it needs to be 61-0. However, in terms of rivalry/hatred, Cleveland just isn't up on the list for me. I still feel sorry that you lost your historical franchise to Baltimore, and for some reason I hate that that club in Baltimore more than I could possibly imagine hating your Cleveland team. There's something missing with Baltimore though, I really don't think they have that many fans or maybe it's that their fans just don't seem as passionate about their team as the media would have you believe. If I'm watching a garbage NFL game to pass the time which includes the Browns, I'm more likely to root for Cleveland than against.

Philadelphia is the city I hate the most, and in particular I hate the Eagles/Flyers. There are times where its more satisfying to me knowing that Philly lost, than that Pittsburgh won.

Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.

Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.

I can say I want the Steelers to beat the Browns, always. I'm still a bit upset we haven't avenged our 51-0 loss to open the 1989 season. Sure we blanked you like 3 times since then, but the margain of victory was never quite the same, it needs to be 61-0. However, in terms of rivalry/hatred, Cleveland just isn't up on the list for me. I still feel sorry that you lost your historical franchise to Baltimore, and for some reason I hate that that club in Baltimore more than I could possibly imagine hating your Cleveland team. There's something missing with Baltimore though, I really don't think they have that many fans or maybe it's that their fans just don't seem as passionate about their team as the media would have you believe. If I'm watching a garbage NFL game to pass the time which includes the Browns, I'm more likely to root for Cleveland than against.

Philadelphia is the city I hate the most, and in particular I hate the Eagles/Flyers. There are times where its more satisfying to me knowing that Philly lost, than that Pittsburgh won.

What is missing is the "Rivalry". It is NOT a rivalry. It is just a competition of two currently good teams vying for the same thing. Like I said, it is like the Colts and the Pats. There is no real compassion or emotion, just competition.

In theory I guess perhaps Pittsburgh and Philadelphia would have a rivalry because they are from the same state, and actually, at one time were the same team when they were Phil-Pitt back during WWII, but in reality Pittsbugh and Cleveland is the real rivalry. Philly/Pitt is like Cleveland-Cincinnati, just a boundary rivalry....though it had something extra when it was Modell and Paul Brown each there as owners. But now it is just one end of the state vs. the other.

Since 1970 the Steelers are 53-24 against the Browns. That isn't even close to being a rivalry. They met in the playoffs only twice ever and the Steelers won both.

Honestly most Steelers fans would rank the Ravens and Patriots much bigger rivals right now. Hell, even the Bengals and Titans are bigger rivals.

Obviously, YOU don't fricking get it. Patriots are rivals? Why? Just because they are pretty good and because you have to go through them to try to win a title. The same is true with the Ravens. They are just another good team you have to try to go through to get what you want. That is the same bullshit thinking of people back in the 70s who may have claimed that the Raiders were the Steelers biggest rival. Are the Raiders still the biggest rival under that thinking?

And what was the record between the Browns and Steelers before 1970? It was bad enough that it took you 40 years to catch up. Did the fact that it took you 40 years to catch up mean that the Browns/Steelers were not a rivalry when the Browns were so xxxxing far ahead? Did the fact that the Browns were predominant through most of the 80s mean that the Steelers were not the Browns biggest rival? (Oh, gee, wow, the Browns biggest rival is the Denver Broncos? Why? simply because we played them for the AFC title so often. Bull)

Do you think that when Michigan was 13-2-1 against the John Cooper Buckeyes that Ohio State/Michigan was not a rivalry? Do you think that now Jim Tressel went like 10-1 against them that Ohio State/Michigan is not a rivalry. The actual winning and losing is not what makes a rivalry.

Oh, sure, a rivalry is better when the two traditional rival teams are vying for supremacy, like now with the Yankees and Red Sox, both teams on top of things bidding for the championship. But did you think the Yankees/Red Sox was not a rivalry from 1918 to 2004 where the Yankees were winning 26 titles and the Red Sox -0-? No, it was still a big rivalry.

Yes, it is great to have Duke and North Carolina ranked in the Top 5 nationally, but they would still be hellacious rivals if they were sucking hind tit in the ACC.

If the Browns and Steelers were to go 5 years in a row with each team suffering double digit losses it would still be a great rivalry. The convenience of winning wouldn't be an issue.

Gipper just give up these people obviously cant read or something,every point you've made is what truly makes a rivalry but i guess people cant see that...Just because a team is good dosent make it a rivialry, i can honestly say id only feel happier if the Browns won the SB than when i felt when the Steelers lost it.And it could have been agasnt Hitler and abunch of Nazis

DING DING DING DING............. we have a winner!

Well said, and it is truthful.

Except of course, the guy that made those statements doesn't believe them. He only says them to stir up shit....and to see how big gulper of his BS you are Ghoolie.

How often do you think he climbs aboard the Titans/Bengals/Pats/Ravens trains. Never probably, but he certainly is here.

Once again Steeler fans think that football started in 1970.

The Browns-Steelers rivalry is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL. With 117 meetings and counting, it is the oldest rivalry and the most storied in the American Football Conference (AFC), surpassing any other rivalry in the conference by at least 5 contests.

Archived