#2 hoorta

hoorta

Member since Dec 1, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts
  • Interests:Football, cycling, montaineering

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/788294-nfl-free-agency-why-free-agency-is-an-important-part-of-nfl-team-building

Have at it, folks.

Yeah he brings up the Lions- their FAs were who? Tony Ugoh? The Lions turned it around because in successive years drafted Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and Ndamukong Suh. Getting rid of Matt Millen- who had to be the biggest Front Office bozo in the history of the NFL didn't hurt either.

#3 The Gipper

The Gipper

Number Hangs in the Rafters

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

Yeah he brings up the Lions- their FAs were who? Tony Ugoh? The Lions turned it around because in successive years drafted Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and Ndamukong Suh. Getting rid of Matt Millen- who had to be the biggest Front Office bozo in the history of the NFL didn't hurt either.

Lets not get too premature with this Lions "turnaround". They were only 6-10 last year and haven't had a winning season since 2000.
Yes, it looks like they have amassed some talent with all the high draft picks they have had, but face it, they have been the Bengals of the NFC. All talent, no winning chemistry. It looks good for them, but I would say it is premature to talk about any "turnaround".

#4 Vegasdogg

Vegasdogg

Member since June 26, 2006

• registered
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

I seem to remember our GM signing or trading for players last season. What makes you think he forgot how this season? Did anyone remember when the Packers lost their starting RB? Who took over for him? Where did they find their RB when ALL of Wisconsin was screaming for a trade? And those two studs in the defensive backfield? Where did they find those two guys?

Pittsburgh
Baltimore
New England

3 more teams that NEVER go after the huge free agent.

I think this article is premature - we have more FA to go. In a year where FA, trades, signing UDFA's, cuts, signing draft picks, and all the other GM stuff started LESS THAN A WEEK AGO, I think it is safe to say this FA period isn't over. Cuts will be coming. Trades will still happen.

But okay, I guess the sky is falling..............

#5 Crozone

Crozone

High School All Star

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Yes, I agree free agency is important in building a team but I think that the draft is more important. Prime example: last years starting lineup for the Superbowl champions, the Packers.

QB - Aaron Rodgers
RB - James Starks
WR - Greg Jennings
WR - Donald Driver
WR - James Jones
WR - Jordy Nelson
LT - Chad Clifton
LG - Daryn Colledge
C - Scott Wells
RG - Josh Sitton
RT - Bryan Bulaga

NT -B. J. Raji
DE - C.J. Wilson
LOLB - Clay Matthews
LILB - A. J. Hawk
RILB - Desmond Bishop
ROLB - Frank Zombo
LCB - Charles Woodson
RCB - Tramon Williams
FS - Nick Collins
RDE - Howard Green
LDE - Ryan Pickett

Every bolded player was signed through free agency or claimed off of waivers.
Only 3 players in the entire starting line-up were NOT drafted by the Packers.
How amazing is that?

#6 Mike H

Mike H

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • Interests:Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Now we're getting somewhere, thanks Cro!

#7 miktoxic

miktoxic

Legends Club

• REGISTERED
  • 7,895 posts
  • Interests:not being interesting.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

Pittsburgh
Baltimore
New England

3 more teams that NEVER go after the huge free agent.

I think this article is premature - we have more FA to go.

can you name one player right now that we should sign from who's left in FA? tick tock.........

the three teams you listed in your post have arguably the best FO's in the league with a history of good drafting and promoting players from within and yes NOT being too active in FA, only when necessary or when they see ultimate bargains (haynesworth and ocho to name a few).

so you're saying that we have the same type of FO and foundation that those teams have with no need to add any players? i say bullshit. we might be on the way of having such but NOTHING has been proven yet. and even if i agree with you what is the year to date plan you are talking about? is it a five year plan that started two years ago when holmgren took over? is it a five year plan that starts this year under shurmer? is it a three year plan? or is it a plan that blows up because the 'building by the draft' draft picks didn't pan out and the fans want everyone out and we start all over again? which one is it? please tell me! pleeeez!!!
:( :( :(

#8 WRREBEL

WRREBEL

All Pro

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Malcom floyd

#9 hoorta

hoorta

Member since Dec 1, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • 8,134 posts
  • Interests:Football, cycling, montaineering

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

can you name one player right now that we should sign from who's left in FA? tick tock.........

the three teams you listed in your post have arguably the best FO's in the league with a history of good drafting and promoting players from within and yes NOT being too active in FA, only when necessary or when they see ultimate bargains (haynesworth and ocho to name a few).

so you're saying that we have the same type of FO and foundation that those teams have with no need to add any players? i say bullshit. we might be on the way of having such but NOTHING has been proven yet. and even if i agree with you what is the year to date plan you are talking about? is it a five year plan that started two years ago when holmgren took over? is it a five year plan that starts this year under shurmer? is it a three year plan? or is it a plan that blows up because the 'building by the draft' draft picks didn't pan out and the fans want everyone out and we start all over again? which one is it? please tell me! pleeeez!!!
:( :( :(

I'll answer your last question first- there's only ONE fan capable of firing Holmgren, and he's sticking with this front office for the long haul. Regarding Shurmur, any Browns fan that thinks we're going to the Super Bowl this year with a first year head coach and new staff had better put down the crack pipe.

I'd like to win now too- but bringing in FAs just for the sake of bringing in FAs isn't in H&Hs playbook- at least this year. The Browns are well under the cap- and they DON'T have to blow it until the 2013 season- about the time if all goes well, we can overpay to bring in the final piece of the puzzle to make a Super Bowl push.

#10 Vagitron

Vagitron

All Pro

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

Yes, I agree free agency is important in building a team but I think that the draft is more important. Prime example: last years starting lineup for the Superbowl champions, the Packers.

QB - Aaron Rodgers
RB - James Starks
WR - Greg Jennings
WR - Donald Driver
WR - James Jones
WR - Jordy Nelson
LT - Chad Clifton
LG - Daryn Colledge
C - Scott Wells
RG - Josh Sitton
RT - Bryan Bulaga

NT -B. J. Raji
DE - C.J. Wilson
LOLB - Clay Matthews
LILB - A. J. Hawk
RILB - Desmond Bishop
ROLB - Frank Zombo
LCB - Charles Woodson
RCB - Tramon Williams
FS - Nick Collins
RDE - Howard Green
LDE - Ryan Pickett

Every bolded player was signed through free agency or claimed off of waivers.
Only 3 players in the entire starting line-up were NOT drafted by the Packers.
How amazing is that?

It's not any different for the Steelers. Good teams build through the draft. Paying the "right" free agents is one thing but going after all the high profile ones is a mistake. You get guys in free agency to fill holes, to add depth. You don't go there for full fledged starters, at least not in my opinion. You can and it's certainly worked for certain teams but to go nuts in FA is a nightmare in waiting. Pittsburgh right now is dancing with the salary cap but the dancing isn't to get under the cap and snag up someone on the open market. It's to get under the cap to offer contracts to current players, players they drafted. I planned to post a bunch of FA moves that didn't work in Mikey's other thread but decided I didn't want to waste my time, mostly because the proof is in the pudding. Look at the rosters for both the Steelers and the Packers. Most were drafted.

EDIT: Farrior was a free agent. Flozell was a free agent but he's no longer on the team and Ryan Clark I believe other than those three the rest of the Steeler roster was drafted. Now this year I believe it's just Farrior and Clark.

2nd Edit: and as he himself points out in the article it takes a strong coach, a strong organization and a strong team to absorb the Super Stars and make them work. The teams at the bottom of the barrel don't have that luxury because the "Super stars" become the team in their own right and the problems begin. As I said previously in this thread or another. I can't WAIT for the Eagles and the Jets to fall on their damn faces. Can't WAIT.

#11 PackFanPerson

PackFanPerson

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

and as he himself points out in the article it takes a strong coach, a strong organization and a strong team to absorb the Super Stars and make them work.

I don't know whether or not Woodson is a superstar in your eyes (he is in mine).

Sir Charles wanted to go anywhere more than he wanted to go to GB. He was insulted and pissed off when he had to come 'here'.

As he drove through town, trying to find his house (lol), a car pulled up beside him and someone said, "Hey there! You're a fantastic player and we are happy you're here, Woodson!"

He couldn't believe that people actually knew him, and addressed him (politely). I don't know why, but he speaks of this time and time again. :)

He has been stellar for YEARS, and is the total leadership package.

As I said previously in this thread or another. I can't WAIT for the Eagles and the Jets to fall on their damn faces. Can't WAIT.

ME TOO!

I dislike the Eagles much less than the JETS, regardless of this spending spree they're on. OMG, I can't stand Sexy Rexy. UGH.

#12 The Gipper

The Gipper

• REGISTERED
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

It's not any different for the Steelers. Good teams build through the draft. Paying the "right" free agents is one thing but going after all the high profile ones is a mistake.
In football, I agree. In baseball, signing high priced FAs has been the meat and potatoes of the Yankees success

You get guys in free agency to fill holes, to add depth. You don't go there for full fledged starters, at least not in my opinion. You can and it's certainly worked for certain teams but to go nuts in FA is a nightmare in waiting. Pittsburgh right now is dancing with the salary cap but the dancing isn't to get under the cap and snag up someone on the open market. It's to get under the cap to offer contracts to current players, players they drafted. I planned to post a bunch of FA moves that didn't work in Mikey's other thread but decided I didn't want to waste my time, mostly because the proof is in the pudding. Look at the rosters for both the Steelers and the Packers. Most were drafted.

EDIT: Farrior was a free agent. Flozell was a free agent but he's no longer on the team and Ryan Clark I believe other than those three the rest of the Steeler roster was drafted. Now this year I believe it's just Farrior and Clark.

2nd Edit: and as he himself points out in the article it takes a strong coach, a strong organization and a strong team to absorb the Super Stars and make them work. The teams at the bottom of the barrel don't have that luxury because the "Super stars" become the team in their own right and the problems begin. As I said previously in this thread or another. I can't WAIT for the Eagles and the Jets to fall on their damn faces. Can't WAIT.

OK, but, as I see it, the Jets and Eagles are actually doing exactly what you reccomend. For the most part those teams have been built through the draft or through trades. They have acquired a few high profile FAs, but I don't think those acquisitions are really much more than a big splash. The only real substantive player the Eagles picked up was Awsomewah. The others were big names, but were really just for depth. I think the Jets and Eagles have got to be among the 5 betting favorites to win the SB.

#13 The Gipper

The Gipper

• REGISTERED
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

[quote name='PackFanPerson' timestamp='1312359508' post='240972']
I don't know whether or not Woodson is a superstar in your eyes (he is in mine).

Sir Charles wanted to go anywhere more than he wanted to go to GB. He was insulted and pissed off when he had to come 'here'.

As he drove through town, trying to find his house (lol), a car pulled up beside him and someone said, "Hey there! You're a fantastic player and we are happy you're here, Woodson!"

He couldn't believe that people actually knew him, and addressed him (politely). I don't know why, but he speaks of this time and time again. :)

He has been stellar for YEARS, and is the total leadership package.

Well, that is good, because before that he was always a big F***ing asshole. Maybe with maturity and playing in Green Bay caused him to lose a lot of his assholeness (is that a word?)

#14 Crozone

Crozone

High School All Star

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

It's not any different for the Steelers. Good teams build through the draft. Paying the "right" free agents is one thing but going after all the high profile ones is a mistake. You get guys in free agency to fill holes, to add depth. You don't go there for full fledged starters, at least not in my opinion. You can and it's certainly worked for certain teams but to go nuts in FA is a nightmare in waiting. Pittsburgh right now is dancing with the salary cap but the dancing isn't to get under the cap and snag up someone on the open market. It's to get under the cap to offer contracts to current players, players they drafted. I planned to post a bunch of FA moves that didn't work in Mikey's other thread but decided I didn't want to waste my time, mostly because the proof is in the pudding. Look at the rosters for both the Steelers and the Packers. Most were drafted.

I was actually going to do the Steelers but I figured that the actual champs would be a better example. Also, Jonathon Scott is another player that they picked up in free agency.

Browns

QB - Colt McCoy
RB - Peyton Hillis
FB - Owen Marecic
WR - Mohammad Massaquoi
WR - Greg Little
WR - Brian Robiskie
TE - Ben Watson
OL - Joe Thomas
OL - Eric Steinbach
OL - Alex Mack
OL - Shawn Lavauo
OL - Tony Pashos

DE - Jayme Mitchell
DT - Phil Taylor
DT - Ahytba Rubin
DE - Jabaal Sheard
LB - Scott Fujita
LB - D'Qwell Jackson
LB - Chris Gocong
CB - Joe Haden
CB - Sheldon Brown
FS - Usama Young
SS - TJ Ward

Bold - F/A Signing
Bold + Italics - Trade

Assuming this is our starting line-up we will have 9 starting free agent signings/players we traded for. WE'RE DOOMED! We need that magic number, 3. (Steelers/Packers count) Haha

#15 Thomaspro

Thomaspro

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

Crozone. Hillis, Mitchell, Gocong, and Sheldon Brown were not FA. We received them in trades. We just recently re-signed Mitchell who was our own FA. So I do not think you can really count that.

#16 Crozone

Crozone

High School All Star

• REGISTERED
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Crozone. Hillis, Mitchell, Gocong, and Sheldon Brown were not FA. We received them in trades. We just recently re-signed Mitchell who was our own FA. So I do not think you can really count that.

True, my fault. I edited it.

#17 PackFanPerson

PackFanPerson

College All American

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:55 AM

Well, that is good, because before that he was always a big F***ing asshole. Maybe with maturity and playing in Green Bay caused him to lose a lot of his assholeness (is that a word?)

:lol:

He was! NONE of us could believe that Ted would spend money on this loudmouthed, constantly defensive (ha) JERK. Assholeness, indeed!

But, BUT......something changed him from 'that guy' to this one:

Maybe it was maturity, maybe the place, maybe the coaching, maybe the other guys??? I don't know, but I respect the man very much, and so do his fellow players.

On the subject of FA, Reggie White worked out quite well, also. :wub:

We get so few FAs from the outside that it's really just wishful thinking when the big names are available. I don't even bother to seriously think about it anymore. It would drive me crazy!!

I've come to respect TT and MM's approach. The drafts have been pretty good, and I really like having so many former players coaching up the guys. I mean, seriously, Kevin Greene coaching CM3??? How much fun is that??

The wave is always fun until it crashes into the beach. :D

#18 miktoxic

miktoxic

Legends Club

• REGISTERED
  • 7,895 posts
  • Interests:not being interesting.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

tell me made an offer on ellis who just signed a one year deal with the pats. tell me we did!

ok, tell me i'm bitching but why not try to sign either on of these DEs ellis or carter? the patriots did both in one day.

THIS SHIT IS RIDICULOUS!!

yep, another evaluation year. to all the walrus fans: this is year number three. tick tock. tick tock.

#19 Gips

Gips

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:04 AM

tell me made an offer on ellis who just signed a one year deal with the pats. tell me we did!

ok, tell me i'm bitching but why not try to sign either on of these DEs ellis or carter? the patriots did both in one day.

THIS SHIT IS RIDICULOUS!!

yep, another evaluation year. to all the walrus fans: this is year number three. tick tock. tick tock.

I think we need to wait and see how things shape up for us and the pats before making any rash judgements and every year should be an evaluation year especially for a club that has been as mishandled as the browns for so long, before H&h came to town the cleveland browns looked more like an old folks home where experience and age were more valued than youth and there was no cap left to retain or obtain players that didnt want to come or stay..

For now i am going to give H&H the benefit over any doubt simply because imho if heckert is as good a GM as he appears to be then the way they are building the browns is the time proven and right way to reset things and keeping certain key players paid is going to be a must, there is no immediate need to waste cap money on adding guys that may not fit or even be as good as those untried youth we already have..

We will know in time but unlike the savage era of building from flashy FA failures and several big name draft busts while running the cap dry while still managing to lose the H&H model is fiscally sound and time proven and is exactly what this club needs to do in order to rebound from years of mismanagement, yea it is going to likely be painful and yeah the browns currently are not currently the razzle dazzle center of trade or FA media attention nationwide but as long as shurmur can coach and heckert can scout/evaluate well and get guys that match jaurons defense and shurmys offense we will see improvement and eventually contention for the afcn...

To me the hope of a franchise plan to finally develop a team built to last and genuinely compete is a far better option than the hopelessness of knowing your team will never truly get consistently competitive because it has no plan other than to exist...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users