THE BROWNS BOARD

The "Modern Era" of football: 1978?

The Gipper

I don't remember any r/w/b footballs...

I've seen old film of white footballs used for night games.

white-football-960.jpg

white-football-960.jpg

Nice, I see that and picture Joe Willie Namath. (besides what kid wouldn't want to chuck one of those around in the backyard, come to think about it Joe Willie was a big kid)

And 1970 was when the bidding wars ended. True there were no major rules changes that year but that was the beginning of the unified TV deals and so forth, that led to the NFL being the billion dollar industry it is today. And that has changed the game as much as any rules change.

It just changed the money.....and how it was divided into divisions.....it didn't change the way the game per se was changed.

Ok, so this discussion is based on the premise that changes in the way the game is what defines "the modern era".

I was debating what the "modern era" actually means.

I don't think that "modern era" actually means anything....or conversely...it can mean anything anyone wants it to mean.

In terms of sea changes in they way the game is played on the field, the 1978 rules changes were as significant as any....but of course they were not the only important changes. I think that the game has gradually evolved in that regard...its just that the 1978 rule changes may have been on the order of the meteor that killed the dinosaurs. While significant, it is not the only event leading to the evolution of the game.

This writer is of the opinion that the modern era started in 1960 which of course would include the browns.

https://fansided.com/2015/02/21/nfl-top-30-teams-modern-era/

Wiki alludes to 1970, then talks about changes in the game later in the decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_National_Football_League

And while 1970 is also a significant moment in terms of league structure....it is by no means the only one. The creation of the NFL in 1920 defines a major change in the way professional football was presented in this country. In 1933 the league first began a playoff system. WWII created changes in structure. The creation of the AAFC and the subsequent merger was important. It was the AAFC that allowed African Americans to play where the NFL didn't. The NFL did follow up...but that certainly was another sea change event. The creation of the AFL in 1960.....the change to a new playoff structure in the NFL later in the 60s. (remember the Capitol and the Century etc. divisions..this brought the change from just 2 teams making the playoffs to more teams making it), The 1970 amalgamation changed the divisions again and added another layer of playoffs. The 1978 changes not only included the rules changes to open up the offenses, but also saw the expansion to a 16 game schedule, plus the addition of more wild cards to the playoffs.

Later in the 1990s and early 2000s with the addition of 4 expansion teams (Jags, Panthers, Ravens, Texans), they made a major structural change again in creating 8 divisions/8 division winners, plus another team to the playoffs.)

As far as some other aspects of things that seemingly "changed" the game, you have things like the 1958 Colts/Giants game that brought the game into the foreground of American sports. Certainly the Jets defeat of the Colts was a significant event....in terms of legitimizing the AFL as a competitive league.

October 22, 1939 might in fact be the most important date in NFL history: It was the date that an NFL game was first broadcast on TV. 500 people in the NYC area could watch a football game.

How about the creation of Monday NIght Football?

In 1961...the NFL is granted an Antitrust Exemption by Congress regarding the broadcast of the game on TV and revenue sharing. (nothing may be more important than that in terms of the way money is earned). Shortly after that NFL Properties was formed....again calling for revenue sharing over sale of paraphenalia.

Go back to the creation of the NFL draft in 1936...clearly a stellar moment in how the league acquires talent.

The institution of instant replay....another vital moment.

Good for ESPN. I'm sure that they will tell you that the US Constitution is an old era document and should be scrapped in favor of a new era. BULLSHIT I SAY!!! The NFL is still the NFL. There have been many changes to everything, yet the record remains the same. Otto Graham is and always will be the best. Same for Jim Brown. ESPN basically sucks.

white-football-960.jpg

This must be what I remembered, but it is not red white and blue, just white panels with brown leather. Must have combined it with memories of an ABA basketball. Of course I also remember Jiffy peanut butter, which did not exist, but is my brain combining Jif and Skippy......

post-485-0-46285300-1501020007_thumb.png

lol... a peanut butter mind meld...

I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

lol... a peanut butter mind meld...

I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.

Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.

Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.

I remember Paul Lowe and Keith Lincoln and Big Cat Ernie Ladd..and a few others from that early Chargers team. And Jack Kemp and Cookie Gilchrist from the Bills. And thinking they were all the shit.

That is why I still have somewhat of a soft spot for those two teams.

That, and the fact that neither has won a title since those AFL days.

lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.

My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.

lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.

Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.

My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.

And Namath didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter. They knew how to beat the Colts who embarrassed the BROWNS in the previous game.

The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nume

The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8nume

Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?

Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.

Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.

Ah yes, turn blue, the short life of Ghoulardi

....I just watched it again, priceless small market 1960s TV.

Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?

Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.

Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.

Yup 25 it was.. and I believe there was a 55 for a brief period.

....I just watched it again, priceless small market 1960s TV.

There's also a book which I was gifted when it was new... good, light read.

A number of the effects the show used were developed by the local, technical crew.

61snEimPAFL._SX491_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Ghoulardi-Inside-Cleveland-Wildest-Ride/dp/1886228183

Also Big Chuck: My Favorite Stories from 47 Years on Cleveland TV Hardcover October 17, 2008

by Chuck Schodowski (Author), Tom Feran (Editor) used from $1.99 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Chuck-Favorite-Stories-Cleveland/dp/1598510525/ref=pd_sim_14_5/136-9867171-7486652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1598510525&pd_rd_r=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE&pd_rd_w=ebHja&pd_rd_wg=LJcIE&psc=1&refRID=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE

The Buzzard: Inside the Glory Days of WMMS and Cleveland Rock Radio--A Memoir Paperback August 27, 2008...used from $7.94

by John Gorman (Author), Tom Feran (Contributor)....I saw that one on PBS.

https://www.amazon.com/Buzzard-Inside-Cleveland-Radio-Memoir/dp/1598510517/ref=pd_sim_14_3/136-9867171-7486652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1598510517&pd_rd_r=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE&pd_rd_w=ebHja&pd_rd_wg=LJcIE&psc=1&refRID=E0EE1JK7VK5YJ54W5SCE

And Ghoulardi used from $5.21 Amazon Prime TM very good condition

& FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00. Details....or free with Prime

Archived