THE BROWNS BOARD

This is not a thread: I just want to know why The Browns let Terrelle Pryor Go?

Opal312

You know, reflecting on this one thing I've thought about is how great franchises like the steelers, patriots, etc operate. One thing they are known for amongst others is NOT overpaying for a free agent on the team. To keep TP on the Browns meant paying him a shit ton of money he wasn't worth, plain and simple. I don't care how much cap space we had, it would have been a bad financial decision to keep the guy at what he wanted. History has shown this is a strong strategy to have as a front office as it sets a precedent for other guys.

Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

He didn't rat on his players....yes, that got him in trouble. Anything else is just wishful thinking on your part....and miniscule compared to the corruption associated with FMU.

Also, Tressel had a 5 year show-cause penalty levied against him by the NCAA, so no school was going to touch him during that time.

Of those 5 years, Tressel spent a year with the Colts, and I think he did not care about the NFL game....so for three years he worked as the head of development at Akron U, and I think during that time he decided to go to bigger and better things in his life than coaching football. He WAS considered for the Presidency of the University of Akron, but because he did not have a doctorate he was not accepted as a candidate. However, Youngstown State was willing to over look that. He has now been the President of YSU for about 3 1/2 years. His 5 year penalty has been long over, and he could get back into coaching if he wanted....and numerous big time programs would accept him if he were interested. But he is no longer interested in that.

I was talking about right after he was fired. No one would have touched him then because of the penalty.

Baylor coaches didn't "rat on their players". PSU officials didn't "rat on Sandusky". Right? Or, ya know, we could call it lying to the NCAA.

Not wishful thinking. All just documented and alleged actions. Starting back at YSU. All things considered, OSU got off very well. Almost to the level of an SEC school. Almost

Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

Sounds like Woody might have a OSU/OCD thing goingon here....Woody let it go, let it die, we BUCKEYE fans sure have. ;)

GO URBAN! Best HC since....Woody?

Thanks Guys! I didn't know any of this! I Thought he had matured since "Tattoo Gate"

After all the Browns did resurrect his career and he seemed grateful and a real "team" player.

My hope is Deshone Kizer surprises everyone and becomes "that" guy!

As for Pryor; what a fool!

Thanks everyone

Go Browns!

I was talking about right after he was fired. No one would have touched him then because of the penalty.

Baylor coaches didn't "rat on their players". PSU officials didn't "rat on Sandusky". Right? Or, ya know, we could call it lying to the NCAA.

Not wishful thinking. All just documented and alleged actions. Starting back at YSU. All things considered, OSU got off very well. Almost to the level of an SEC school. Almost

Everything alleged...nothing documented. In fact, I have never even heard of anything alleged except this tattoo/gold pants thing.

And do you really want to argue a with a lawyer/magistrate about legal semantics? Yes, "failure to report" is a violation, but it is something different from "perjury".

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.22v1

Failure to report can be from a minor misdemeanor to a second degree misdemeanor.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.11

Perjury is a felony of the third degree.

There is a big difference in the law. (and I reference Ohio law because these events occurred in Ohio).

Now, I understand that NCAA rules are not the law.

The NCAA probably views failure to report more harshly than the law....because the NCAA has not the force of law behind it, and has no enforcement power. Thus it relies more heavily on voluntary compliance with its reporting rules. Ergo, it treats a failure to report more harshly relatively than the law would treat it....as they have no other kind of capablility to "punish" offenders.

Nevertheless, legally, the failure to report is not the same as lying under oath.

So...when whomever above said he was given felony punishment for misdemeanor actions...that was essentially correct...at least in the real world.

It really doesn't make sense, especially in the NFL where career ending injuries can happen at any time. Pryor essentially turned down the deal Britt gladly received ($8 mill a year or so). His agent thought he could get much more, and he's an idiot. Pryor is in his mid to late 20's, and he's not going to get another big payday like this one, so he's basically betting on himself. Honestly, it doesn't make sense. I can't remember the last time I saw something like this.

The Kirk Cousins contract situation shed some interesting light on this yesterday.

Basically facing the same security vs. payday decision in WSH Kirk said that all NFL contracts are basically 2-year deals given the way guarantees are structured.

Then he asked how much more, if any, risk is involved in betting on yourself for one year vs. two?

I've been living in a whirlwind the last several months since My Dad died. Moving, getting settled in a new town in Bum Fu*k, Florida, getting sick and haven't been able to find out why the Browns would let Pryor go.

Was he asking for too much money?

If you have an answer that would shed some light on this, I sure would appreciate it.

Pryor was the only bright spot in a dismal 2016 season. I have a sickening feeling he'll be the number 1 receiver in Washington.

Kenny Britt was highly paid for a guy that basically hasn't the talent nor the "Heart" of Terrelle Pryor

I will miss Pryor and his total willingness to do anything they asked of him. He put it all out on the field and was a special athlete and Team Player

britt is in the same category as rg3....gimp....gimp....gimp...fucking stupid signing....another fucked up season juuuuust right around the corner....

Urban's certainly winning championships at a faster rate. But it's easier to get to the top than it to stay there.

Winning or harder yet repeating as National Champions is one of the hardest things to do in all of sports.

Takes some good luck also.

Archived