THE BROWNS BOARD

WR

Orion

That is all fine well and good. Gordon is a fuckup. But he got 3-4 years for being a fuckup....and another guy that is just as big a drug fuckup as Gordon gets 3 games. Again...I am not debating that Gordon is a fuckup..... - Gips

Neither am I. I was just giving you background information leading up to why he needed to go in the Supplemental Draft as well as why he was given a choice to begin his career in the NFL Substance Abuse Program. - Flugel

its just that there are hundreds of equal fuckups in this game....and NONE of them got the suspension time that Gordon has. Its an issue of equal treatment. - Gips

Because unlike Gordon, none of them agreed to start their NFL careers off in the NFL Substance Abuse Program - which would have subjected them to all of the same ongoing testing Josh agreed to. Not only that, like Josh - they would have all started their careers off with the equivalent of a positive drug test for merely agreeing to start off in that program (treating him like a repeat offender the first time he tests positive). It was my understanding (and this could be wrong) that if he didn't test positive for a certain length of time - he would have been given a clean slate. Then, he would have been treated just like everyone else with any new positive tests. Unfortunately, he never did that for himself.

I got all this information about 4-5 years ago on the OBR back when it was unfolding. - Flugel

And no, your post did nothing to address this issue. Again, you just concentrated how JG has screwed up....and not on how his treatment compares to similarly situated players. - Gips

Not so fast. If you actually read what you cut and pasted by me - you'd actually see I did address this issue. In fact, I gave you a heads up on line 1 sentence 2 where that was going to take place (in paragraph 3). Here's a cut and paste of that paragraph 3 and try to focus on the part in bold italics:

Due to the circumstances he put himself in - Gordon entered the NFL supplemental draft. Upon doing so, he was given some choices and he agreed to begin his NFL career in the NFL Substance Abuse Program that had him beginning with 1 or 2 strikes against him already. This also meant he agreed to on-going testing that could be performed at any time (meaning he pretty waived his right to be equal to other draftees/players). Again, this was HIS CHOICE. - Flugel

Why is it so hard to understand what I am talking about. - Gips

I did understand Gipsies so I wanted to let you know why his situation was different. - Flugel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the one fact that has to be added is that JG's most recent test fail was alcohol related, not drug related.

I think the one fact that has to be added is that JG's most recent test fail was alcohol related, not drug related.

Yep.....out of all his NFL suspensions, only one was actually for weed.....

He's a very diverse suspension getter.....his first was codeine....then weed.....then a DUI.....then having a drink......then some vague breaking of team rules.....then missing a test......and now ???.....who knows......

Well....we have at least 3 guys in the program right now.....and probably a few more that we dont know about.....let's hope they all learned something from Josh.....

Rethinking.....I bet Haden is clear by now.....

Still boggles my mind that we used a first round pick on a guy in the program, after all the shit with Josh....

It's been brought up a lot in previous discussions. Being in the NFL Substance Abuse program IS drug related; so the couple beers he had with teammates would have been fine if he hadn't already cornered himself to that.

Furthermore, as he last approached a season where he was going to be able to play the final 12 games of a 16 game season - what prevented him from playing football again? Does one really check into a rehab if there isn't still an on-going drug issue? We're conveniently leaving that out just like his need to hang out with Manziel and the other buddy that had a huge bag of weed in Josh's glove compartment when he got pulled over for speeding. He didn't get suspended when his buddy owned up to the bag of weed; but how much does that show anyone an effort to make his surroundings better for his NFL situation?

And let's not pretend all his suspensions have been exclusive to just the NFL. He tested positive 3 times at Baylor but only got kicked off the team twice. He tested positive again at Utah.

All that being the case, I was hoping the huge volume of mess-ups would have finally brought him to a now or never urgency the last time he was only 4 games away from a green light to play again. That got intercepted by Gordon checking into rehab. Again, he's in the NFL Drug Abuse program which now has him at pass the piss test or piss on his career for the last time.

All that being the case, I was hoping the huge volume of mess-ups would have finally brought him to a now or never urgency...... That got intercepted by Gordon checking into rehab.

So.....(serious question here).....you dont think Josh finally going into rehab is a positive step toward getting serious about what may or may not be left of his career?.....

It's been brought up a lot in previous discussions. Being in the NFL Substance Abuse program IS drug related; so the couple beers he had with teammates would have been fine if he hadn't already cornered himself to that.

I know... I've done most of the "bringing up". At least it feels that way.

Josh's alcohol prohibition was completely separate from his substance abuse status. The alcohol tack on was prompted by his DWI traffic stop July, 2014.

This is all per the negotiated NFL Policy under the CBA. While alcohol and "illegal drugs" are both in the same policy section, they are enumerated in separate policy subsections. In the discussion of "each" in its own subsection, there is specific exclusion of "the other".

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

Just setting the record straight... not defending our problem child... anymore. Gave that up with his rehab detour coming on a year ago. Since then I've been in Camp "Does-he-have-enough-left-to-miss?"

So.....(serious question here).....you dont think Josh finally going into rehab is a positive step toward getting serious about what may or may not be left of his career?.....

This far past when he should have done this a couple suspensions ago? No, because I question the lack of urgency all this time he's continued to over-complicate piss tests. This story of the boy who cried wolf began as early as Baylor. Go back and read the sincere apologies and promises to get it right back then continuing right through to when we drafted him and many suspensions thereafter. Here we are 6 years into his NFL not looking any different than what happened to him in college.

Man, this guy has been the biggest football tease of my life following this franchise. Nobody has ever frustrated me more. We've needed him and he's just had other priorities than his professional football career. Can we at least stop pretending how hard it is to pass a freakin piss test?

Archived