THE BROWNS BOARD

WR

Orion

There are 37 comments.

Just give DGB a break. I understand why they cut him

However he performed worse in Titans camp last year than this year. However last year he was the leading wide-out whilst only starting 5 games. Normally WRs break out in their second year. The titans did not wait to see if that was the case. I wish him well

Yep. We should have given him 2-3 years. I'm still furious.

Smart people do dumb things all of the time. I think this was one of those times for Jrob.

He seemed more like a gamer

Some guys are going to learn slower and make more visible mistakes in practice.

I know this is contrarian

But it’s perfectly possible that DGB came in and did what he was asked, and was moved because he was a moveable piece at a position of relative depth, who brought back a piece at a position of massive need.

Some get it, some don't. I guess that's in everything...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, if we end up getting DGB or not really doesn't matter until we get him.

But man I miss this dude.

And, lets be honest guys,....the fact that Pryor had 1000 yds does not make him a #1 star WR.......

When you're on a team w/o ANY receiver threats, someone is gonna get all the targets.....and that someone "should" get a 1000 yds(at least)...

Looking back....last year was Pryor....year before that was Benji(who returned to average immediately).....Barny had a 1000 too and returned to avg immediately.....before that it was Hawkins......before that it was JG. - The only "legit WR" of the group and he had 1600(because he was the only target....like Barny, Benji, Hawk and Pryor......

This year, the Browns should pass for 3000 to 4000 yards and "someone" is gonna catch those passes.....and if they get 1000, it'll be more due to being the only(primary) target and not because they instantly became great.....

Lets talk when one of these guys actually looks dominant and can consistently get open and catch passes with ease.....right now, none of them have shown they can do that.....but NO ONE is saying they cant.....just saying they have yet to show they can....(big diff).....

So.....it's all about how many targets you get and if there is another player on your team that also demands targets......right now(and the past several years) the Browns have basically targeted one guy.....and the numbers back that up....strongly

And....Ill add....that the coach obviously didnt have enough faith in the youth group to give them targets....(thats the Coach, not us, saying we're not gonna throw the ball to these guys)

Add Jordan Cameron to that list. The last time the Browns had a legit 1-2 receiving duo was Edwards and Winslow and thew fans turned on them pretty quickly.

As for DGB, if it doesn't cost you anything much give him a shot.

And, lets be honest guys,....the fact that Pryor had 1000 yds does not make him a #1 star WR.......

When you're on a team w/o ANY receiver threats, someone is gonna get all the targets.....and that someone "should" get a 1000 yds(at least)...

Looking back....last year was Pryor....year before that was Benji(who returned to average immediately).....Barny had a 1000 too and returned to avg immediately.....before that it was Hawkins......before that it was JG. - The only "legit WR" of the group and he had 1600(because he was the only target....like Barny, Benji, Hawk and Pryor......

This year, the Browns should pass for 3000 to 4000 yards and "someone" is gonna catch those passes.....and if they get 1000, it'll be more due to being the only(primary) target and not because they instantly became great.....

Lets talk when one of these guys actually looks dominant and can consistently get open and catch passes with ease.....right now, none of them have shown they can do that.....but NO ONE is saying they cant.....just saying they have yet to show they can....(big diff).....

So.....it's all about how many targets you get and if there is another player on your team that also demands targets......right now(and the past several years) the Browns have basically targeted one guy.....and the numbers back that up....strongly

And....Ill add....that the coach obviously didnt have enough faith in the youth group to give them targets....(thats the Coach, not us, saying we're not gonna throw the ball to these guys)

I agree with most of your post, but there are two things about Pryor that I found extremely appealing. The first is his "ceiling". Pryor learned a new position and went from a nobody to a very meaningful player...in ONE year. That generally doesn't happen in the NFL, in fact, I can't really think of another example. So if Pryor went from learning a new position to "very good" in one year, it stands to reason that he can get even better. THAT'S what appeals to me about him the most...the perceived room for growth. I say perceived because maybe he already topped out, and he won't really get any better, but I find that doubtful. More likely I see Pryor as somebody who can increase his skill set and ability.

The other aspect of Pryor I really liked was his toughness and competitive nature. The guy is a serious worker, and he's going to go after the money he thinks he should get. He bet on himself to the tune of walking away from a very nice contract to take a $6 million deal for ONE season. He's going to work his ass off, and unless he gets injured, I see him as having a very solid year.

You know, if we end up getting DGB or not really doesn't matter until we get him.

But man I miss this dude.

I was at that game. Gordon caught that touchdown directly in front of me, probably about 120 feet from where I stood cheering. I literally had a small tear in my eye because I rooted so hard for Josh to come back and get his life together. I thought he was back, man...

87 DeValve, Seth TE 6-3 245 24 2 Princeton

88 Holtz, J.P. TE 6-3 240 23 1 Pittsburgh

89 McNamara, Taylor TE 6-5 251 22 Southern California

85 Njoku, David TE 6-4 246 20 R Miami

86 Telfer, Randall TE 6-4 250 25 2 USC

Lets start with some mini game 1 match-ups.TE's---Jesse James 6'7" 261..David Johnson 6'7" 260..X. Grimble 6'4" 257..our Hybrid TE's vs some grown ass gals. WR's----Ant. Brown,Demarcus Ayers & Eli Rogers all 5'10" 180's but will come with three 6'4's 212's in Martavis Bryant,Sammy Coats & Justin Hunter. A pair of 6'2" in HeyBey & JuJu Schuster. The Browns 3 largest corners are all of 6'1 all weighing about 188 lbs. That's if you include Stribling,Howard Wilson & McCourty all at 6'1"on paper..Greg Williams welcome to the jolly queen giants of the AFCN at the WR position..(if we can't draft them big? How bout drafting corners with a faster 40 speed than WR's? we have done neither)

Our wr's are garbage.

While were taking the garbage out ;) Maybe a QB that can anticipate the spot with accuracy without holding the damn ball in da pocket to do so.

While were taking the garbage out ;) Maybe a QB that can anticipate the spot with accuracy without holding the damn ball in da pocket to do so.

I haven't watched the all 22's on this group....but I do think that our "new QB every week" had to have a huge effect on timing and trust, between the QB's and the WR's......hard to anticipate the spot, when you haven't had any notable reps as a group and, therefore, do not even know where "the spot" should be....

None the less.....the problem(I believe) is two fold......Our QB's just arent that good and dont see the field as well as we'd like them to......AND.....our WR's just arent that good and dont get open consistently enough for the QB's to trust that they'll be there(and open) when the ball arrives....

Hence.....check down city....

None the less.....the problem(I believe) is two fold......Our QB's just arent that good and dont see the field as well as we'd like them to......AND.....our WR's just arent that good and dont get open consistently enough for the QB's to trust that they'll be there(and open) when the ball arrives....

Hence.....check down city....

Not sure if Kessler really gained anything with McCown sticking around? McCown stuck to his guns taking a beating in the pocket at release. Maybe Hoyer could have helped getting Kessler's mobility clock to move faster, finding some windows in collapsing pockets. Hoyer might have been are best at seeing the whole field & certainly was not afraid to at least try to stretch the field? Hoyer has the right mindset to go downfield, but just a tick late usually, with a non touch of a bad right armed gun.. imo Nothing will really happen at are WR position till we can find are next Pryor/Gordon that can get off the 1st 5 yard bump without missing a stride.. we shall see

Why are we even continuing to talk about this guy? He isn't on the Browns. I see no reason to waste the breath on him.

I agree .. Why hasn't this thread been shut down?

Maybe not this one....but the other one on him that has gone for 7 pages.

Yeah , My bad but that thread seems to have more life than its worth or , needed.

Yeah , My bad ...

yeah, This threads about our WR position in general.

Pryor's name comes up because Last year at this time we were all 'hoping' that he'd turn out to be good because of the position being weak. And the rest of the comedic tragedy of him actually playing well and us ultimately losing him.

Aanyhow, if we were to use more of a two TE offense, as some have suggested, then we might be able to field two decent WR's in Britt & Coleman. And that's 'projecting' that Coleman will improve in his second year. Beyond that we couldn't put up a 3rd and 4th WR set that would scare anyone. (at this point in time)

The only guy that gives me hope, well, the only TWO that give me hope are Ricardo Louis and Rannell Hall. I know our coaches were high on Hall before the injury last preseason, so perhaps he can reclaim that same magic and be the slot WR we so desperately require. Ricardo Louis has been talked up for a while now, and Browns fans aren't the people that really like to hear that kind of stuff. We've heard it ALL BEFORE, and we need to SEE SOMETHING before we can truly get excited about a WR.

# player - measurables - age - exp - shcool

11 Leslie, Jordan WR 6-1 209 25 1 Brigham Young

13 Wright, James WR 6-1 201 25 4 LSU

NFL career catches & yardage

Leslie = zero

Wright = 18 for 197

Put these 2 names in your back pocket Jiggins.We kinda know what we have but these 2 never met a Browns roster. Ourlads has Jordan listed at 6'3" 215 with pro day 40 time of 4.41. Spent some time on Minn.Jags,Atl. & Tenn. Our team WR depth may not match non of them teams. James Wright is listed at 6'2" 203 with 4.4 speed. His 25 catches came backing up a injured AJ Green in Cincinnati where Wright may still be familiar with HueJax's system..Mario Alford, I remember was the #2 & slot man lining up across from Kevin White at West Virginia. Mario saved our return game last season but the guy has Gabriel size at 5'8 180lbs. & quicks of Gabe at 4.34 40 speed..now if we just had a Ryan ;)..

Stat tracker: The Browns are replacing their top two leaders in receptions from 2016 (Terrelle Pryor and Gary Barnidge) and the next two were running backs Isaiah Crowellicon-article-link.gif and Duke Johnson Jr.icon-article-link.gif Coleman, who had 33 catches for 413 yards in 10 games, is the leading, returning wide receiver.

--------------

Britt replaces Pryor. This should not be a problem

Replacing Barnidge is a rookie and a 2nd year guy who was hurt most of his rookie year. It might be a lot to expect from the 2 young players initially.

Coleman. I'm skeptical that he can be healthy. It just seems like he's always gimpy.

We really need a few of that remaining gaggle of receivers on the roster to take huge steps forward this summer / season. I mean, what if, heaven forbid, Britt gets hurt? That'll leave us with gimpy Coleman and a bunch of guys who ran around and often dropped passes last year. We 'need' that trio of improved gagglers. (gagglers: members of a gaggle. - Orionapedia)

New role for the Duke? Slot receiver according to this. If our rookie RB turns out as good as hoped, I can see this happening. I want him on the field a lot more than he has been thus far.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/24/browns-may-make-duke-johnson-their-no-1-slot-receiver/

We need Josh Gordon back.

Damn shame he was denied back in May.. Dude voluntarily checks himself into rehab and is not allowed back...

Armothy Bryant only gets 4 games and he was suspended multiple times last year? GTFO!

#FREEJOSHGORDON!

Again, the treatment of Gordon is...to me, completely unjust. Leveon Bell and he have the same number of drug violations....and Bell has gotten like 3 games....but JG has gotten 3 years. And like you said, others have gotten maybe 4 games......not 4 years.

I know it is fashionable among you all to denounce Gordon as a fucking idiot....and sure...he is for getting mixed up in drugs and alcohol.

But I am talking simply about equity. Others who have had issues just as bad or worse have received much, much, much more lenient treatment. I would have nothing to bitch about if a person with the same number of violations who only got like 1/16th the amount of punishment.....was given the same treatment.

I certainly know that the punishment levied onto Josh Gordon is unjustly harsh.

He's a guy with a target on his back.

BUT HE HAS TO KNOW THAT...AND BE SQUEAKY CLEAN.....in order to make an incredible amount of money...for 7 - 10 years.

That's why I'm down on him. He KNOWS he has to give up the partying stuff to play football. He just doesn't do it.

Other players can still party. But that's because they're not in the 'system'. HE CANNOT.

• 2 weeks later...

So spank me . . . .

Flash GordonVerified account @JOSH_GORDONXII 8h8 hours ago

God is GREAT.. 1f64f-1f3fe.png

104 replies 498 retweets 1,248 likes
Jordan ZirmVerified account @clevezirm 4h4 hours ago

from a source close to Josh Gordon: the wide receiver is in "good spirits" and expects some "good news" in the near future

18 replies 70 retweets 96 likes
. . . . keep the salt on hand . . .

Yes Josh. God IS great.

But Godelle isn't. And you haven't been a good boy.

It'll take a miracle for you to be a decent football player again.

Again, the treatment of Gordon is...to me, completely unjust. Leveon Bell and he have the same number of drug violations....and Bell has gotten like 3 games....but JG has gotten 3 years. And like you said, others have gotten maybe 4 games......not 4 years.

I know it is fashionable among you all to denounce Gordon as a fucking idiot....and sure...he is for getting mixed up in drugs and alcohol.

But I am talking simply about equity.

I'll explain this "equity" Gordon chose to waive. Pay particular attention to paragraph 3.

Despite being an elite high school football player and prospect, something/rumors scared off all but 1 major Division I college football program. And that program was Baylor (the Sodom and Gomorrah of college football), which he managed to get kicked off twice for partying. He actually tested positive 3 times at Baylor and he did so again at Utah. Pattern?

Due to the circumstances he put himself in - Gordon entered the NFL supplemental draft. Upon doing so, he was given some choices and he agreed to begin his NFL career in the NFL Substance Abuse Program that had him beginning with 1 or 2 strikes against him already. This also meant he agreed to on-going testing that could be performed at any time (meaning he pretty waived his right to be equal to other draftees/players). Again, this was HIS CHOICE. Well.... If you fail to prepare - then you should prepare to fail. He did - again and again and again and again. Fooled me twice (even after he didn't learn in college). As a fan, I wanted this guy with this kind of talent to get the chance to succeed for my favorite team. Who wouldn't want that?

But, what it has always boiled down to is - does he love football enough to make the sacrifice? Not yet! Does he prioritize his pro football career for the 1 NFL franchise that said "we believe in you Josh?" Not yet! When it finally looked like he was going to come out of suspension - we learned he had been partying enough to check into rehab.

Unfortunately, he's only played in 5 football games since 2013. The only person that has always been in Gordon's way is Gordon. The "Poor Josh" crowd always likes to bring up how pot isn't that bad or evil. While true, if one isn't supposed to test positive for it in order to be employed - pass the freakin piss test and welcome to happily ever after!

Wr is scaring me more and more everyday,,,,,not a very good looking group....and an injury(or 2) away from being a terrible group....

So,,,, Duke and Seth to the rescue?......not a bad adjustment, but a shame we have to use our RB's and TE's to compensate for a lack of WR's.....

Keep hearing Ricardo Louis as the hot WR in camp......the good is that he may be getting better?(hopefully).....the bad is that Coleman and Britt aint making noise.....

I'll explain this "equity" Gordon chose to waive. Pay particular attention to paragraph 3.

Despite being an elite high school football player and prospect, something/rumors scared off all but 1 major Division I college football program. And that program was Baylor (the Sodom and Gomorrah of college football), which he managed to get kicked off twice for partying. He actually tested positive 3 times at Baylor and he did so again at Utah. Pattern?

Due to the circumstances he put himself in - Gordon entered the NFL supplemental draft. Upon doing so, he was given some choices and he agreed to begin his NFL career in the NFL Substance Abuse Program that had him beginning with 1 or 2 strikes against him already. This also meant he agreed to on-going testing that could be performed at any time (meaning he pretty waived his right to be equal to other draftees/players). Again, this was HIS CHOICE. Well.... If you fail to prepare - then you should prepare to fail. He did - again and again and again and again. Fooled me twice (even after he didn't learn in college). As a fan, I wanted this guy with this kind of talent to get the chance to succeed for my favorite team. Who wouldn't want that?

But, what it has always boiled down to is - does he love football enough to make the sacrifice? Not yet! Does he prioritize his pro football career for the 1 NFL franchise that said "we believe in you Josh?" Not yet! When it finally looked like he was going to come out of suspension - we learned he had been partying enough to check into rehab.

Unfortunately, he's only played in 5 football games since 2013. The only person that has always been in Gordon's way is Gordon. The "Poor Josh" crowd always likes to bring up how pot isn't that bad or evil. While true, if one isn't supposed to test positive for it in order to be employed - pass the freakin piss test and welcome to happily ever after!

That is all fine well and good. Gordon is a fuckup. But he got 3-4 years for being a fuckup....and another guy that is just as big a drug fuckup as Gordon gets 3 games.

Again...I am not debating that Gordon is a fuckup.....its just that there are hundreds of equal fuckups in this game....and NONE of them got the suspension time that Gordon has.

Its an issue of equal treatment. And no, your post did nothing to address this issue. Again, you just concentrated how JG has screwed up....and not on how his treatment compares to similarly situated players.

Why is it so hard to understand what I am talking about.

Im with you Gip....

I totally get that Gordon dug his own grave and broke the rules...

But, I also understand that his punishment is completely unprecedented and not representative of what ANY other player has ever experienced for similar or even more severe issues....

Wr is scaring me more and more everyday,,,,,not a very good looking group....and an injury(or 2) away from being a terrible group....

So,,,, Duke and Seth to the rescue?......not a bad adjustment, but a shame we have to use our RB's and TE's to compensate for a lack of WR's.....

Keep hearing Ricardo Louis as the hot WR in camp......the good is that he may be getting better?(hopefully).....the bad is that Coleman and Britt aint making noise.....

Ricardo Louis has about as much business being on the Browns as I do.. We both cant catch a friggin cold.

Archived