THE BROWNS BOARD

Roll Call... Who's Looking at Attending Oct. 15 @ HOU?

Tour2ma

7 minutes ago, medicineman said:

I will do that for sure. I know I wont be able to make it to Houston but the Detroit game is still a maybe. But I look forward to meeting you guys at the Home games. What lot do you guys park at?

Burke Airport

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Any word on how or if this Invisible White Rabbit, Harvey is going to affect things in Houston for the game?

Or, too early to tell? Any damage to NRG Stad.?   

Or need 6 good weeks of dry weather?

I've seen plenty of pics from my friends in Houston, unfortunately they had indoor swimming pools for a day, water has begun to recede now the clean up. I have not seen or heard anything from around NRG.

The south loop near NRG is less flood prone than other areas of Houston including city enter (Brays Bayou IIRC).

The Dallas move is a reaction to a short-term issue of getting to and around the city.

That said in a week or so you might want to double check your accommodations just to be sure.

What area of the city? I have in-laws NW, W and S, and so far so good. Biggest scare was the folks on the southside (Pearland area) who had street flooding creep well up into their lawn. Several former co-workers are out east, in the Baytown area which has recorded nearly 40" of total rainfall.

When Ike pushed 3' of water into my house it got two vehicles. Being salt water they were automatic write-offs. Years earlier in 2001, I was in UK when Allison stalled over Houston. My house was fine, but I returned to find my Park-n-Fly had flooded. But that was a fresh water event and ~$3k later my Accord was back on the road.

I will have to check on my accommodations in Houston.  They are both in that Med Center area north of the Stadium.  How is that area doing?  (also N.O. and Lafayette...though I don't think things were bad there).  If I had to cancel because of the flood, so be it.  The harder part would be dealing with my flight.  I paid for that with air miles.  Delta could be shitty about it if I felt I had to cancel.

Tour...how are YOU making it through this?  OK?

High and dry, Gip... thanks. Hardly any rain up here in the East Texas Hill Country as yet and when Harvey does finally get moving north it's projected to pass east of Shreveport, LA.

Med Center had issues back in 2001 with Alicia. I remember stories of basements flooding and records being lost. Not heard anything this time, but it ain't over...

Within last hour a levee about an hour south of Houston was breached. It's down in the Columbia Lakes area. An area I know from my golfing days.

There are two more such flood control reservoirs that were built in the 1930's that feed Buffalo Bayou (the downtown bayou I misremembered earlier). Both of these levees are amongst the lowest rated in the nation by the Army Corps of Engineers. Spillways are open and downstream flooding is occurring in areas that escaped initial flooding and the bad news is that the reservoir levels are still rising.

Ooh, OK, I thought you lived in a Houston suburb.   When you say "East Texas Hill Country"  I assume you are not referring to what is commonly known as "Texas Hill Country",  which is sort of that triangular area that is from Austin to Kerrville to San Antonio.

Also....can you be fairly certain that our festivities, and ability to get around there in Mid Oct. will not be affected? 

Especially, if, as you say, this happens:

If either levee fails, I have no idea, Gip. If they hold, it'll be fine.

And yes, East Texas Hill Country is a different region. Starts around Livingston and builds up through Lufkin and Tyler to Atlanta, TX which is not far south of Texarkana.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

If either levee fails, I have no idea, Gip. If they hold, it'll be fine.

And yes, East Texas Hill Country is a different region. Starts around Livingston and builds up through Lufkin and Tyler to Atlanta, TX which is not far south of Texarkana.

Lufkin won the US portion of the Little League World Series....only to lose the finals to Japan, no?  Also, I spent the night once in Atlanta TX taking my daughter to college.  I plan to go up through that area after Houston, up to Marshall and Jefferson.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I will have to check on my accommodations in Houston.  They are both in that Med Center area north of the Stadium.  How is that area doing?  (also N.O. and Lafayette...though I don't think things were bad there).  If I had to cancel because of the flood, so be it.  The harder part would be dealing with my flight.  I paid for that with air miles.  Delta could be shitty about it if I felt I had to cancel.

Tour...how are YOU making it through this?  OK?

Yo Gip- either your mailbox is full or Z hasn't authorized it yet.  Since it's a little disorganized, do you have your Houston ticket yet? I don't.  I was just mucking around StubHub. Be happy to order tickets and sit with you. Have a top price you're willing to spend? Mine is around $175.   Anything under $100 is going to be in the nosebleeds. Saw some stuff in the $165 range that gets you one level down from the 600s to the 500s. The 100 level sideline is totally unavailable, and the price would be astronomical if any were. 

Also Tour- you have your tickets yet? We can plan on doing something Friday night if the mess is cleaned up by then. I heard Hobby Airport was under water.  BTW Ag mentioned in another thread they got around 4" of rain where he is at- and not too bad- yet. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Also Tour- you have your tickets yet?

Not yet, but I'll be sitting with in-laws.... and dropping about $160 per all in from the looks of things.

IIRC TopDawg is checking his Houston buds for tix for Gip. Actually is in the same section as my in-laws, just lower seats closer to field level in section 119.

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not yet, but I'll be sitting with in-laws.... and dropping about $160 per all in from the looks of things.

IIRC TopDawg is checking his Houston buds for tix for Gip. Actually is in the same section as my in-laws, just lower seats closer to field level in section 119.

119 wouldn't be my choice- but I understand the situation. If you shoot me a PM with their row- I may even look for seats close to yours. If TopDawg can't come through for Gip (I may PM him to see if he can up that to a pair of seats, though I'm not averse to sitting solo if it comes to that.) There's plenty of stuff in the 100 level on NFL Ticket Exchange (strangely nary a seat on StubHub) under $200- though I hate paying Ticketmaster's extortion "convenience fees".  Legalized robbery IMHO. 

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

My buddy at Memorial drive and Bunker Hill told me via text that he had flooding and no power.

My other pal Jay, told me that Houston South West flooded  real bad. Her car is fucked.

That intersection is just a few blocks from Buffalo Bayou. No surprised it's flooded. Now that the water is going over and around the levy, I'm a bit more concerned about my cousins place about 20 blocks south of that bayou E of 610 Loop. He had been dry even with the flood gates fully open.

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yo Gip- either your mailbox is full or Z hasn't authorized it yet.  Since it's a little disorganized, do you have your Houston ticket yet? I don't.  I was just mucking around StubHub. Be happy to order tickets and sit with you. Have a top price you're willing to spend? Mine is around $175.   Anything under $100 is going to be in the nosebleeds. Saw some stuff in the $165 range that gets you one level down from the 600s to the 500s. The 100 level sideline is totally unavailable, and the price would be astronomical if any were. 

Also Tour- you have your tickets yet? We can plan on doing something Friday night if the mess is cleaned up by then. I heard Hobby Airport was under water.  BTW Ag mentioned in another thread they got around 4" of rain where he is at- and not too bad- yet. 

I don't think my mailbox is full.  I really haven't had much in the way of PMs.  So it must be something else.   No, I do not have ticket yet.  $150-175 seems about right. So, if you order one, please go ahead and get me one. I will get the $ to you.   

Now, the question is:  can we get to the game in Houston?

8 hours ago, boo fagley said:

My buddy at Memorial drive and Bunker Hill told me via text that he had flooding and no power.

My other pal Jay, told me that Houston South West flooded  real bad. Her car is fucked.

The areas of interest in Houston, as far as we should be concerned are:  the stadium area, of course.  The Med Center area...where my hotels are. And the Rice Village, which I believe is the site of party activity the day/night before the game.   Any word on those areas?

9 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Allen Parkway, on the opposite side of Buffalo Bayou from Memorial Dr., is one of the great drives in Houston... so long as it's not rush hour.

Saw some flood footage yesterday of Allen Parkway. Water looked to be over 6' deep on the road.

1 minute ago, boo fagley said:

Memorial drive is a nice route too. 

It does have the advantage of ending up in Memorial Park... great "scenery" and the refurbished Golf Course is a real gem. The son of a former co-worker was head Greenskeeper there... was a real help in getting tee times.

Keeping my eye on the weather Channel I see that hurricane Irma could in fact going to the golf and golf GULF and impact Texas and Louisiana again. Also there is a Nother third  Hurricane possibly broiling up in the golf of Mexico near old Mexico and that could pour a pile of more rain etc. on to Houston. Things could get even worse down there and jeopardize my trip and any of your trips to this location

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Keeping my eye on the weather Channel I see that hurricane Irma could in fact going to the golf and golf GULF and impact Texas and Louisiana again. Also there is a Nother third  Hurricane possibly broiling up in the golf of Mexico near old Mexico and that could pour a pile of more rain etc. on to Houston. Things could get even worse down there and jeopardize my trip and any of your trips to this location

The Texas State Parks system already canceled my stay at Stephen F. Austin SP. 

I'm sure once things settle down, I will be able to find an RV spot, but first and foremost I hope the region recovers ok. Like you say, who knows what lies ahead in hurricane season.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Tix are in hand...

Turns out if you call Vivid seats you can deal a lil bit...

Good to know

9 hours ago, wargograw said:

Go on...

Vivid's phone folks are given discount discretion not available online. Ended up doing better than had I cashed in any of the "if you act today" discount emails that I kept not seeing until they lapsed.

Basically saved ~$40 off a $340 order... enough to buy a couple beers... :)

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Vivid's phone folks are given discount discretion not available online. Ended up doing better than had I cashed in any of the "if you act today" discount emails that I kept not seeing until they lapsed.

Basically saved ~$40 off a $340 order... enough to buy a couple beers... :)

that's sweet dude. I did what you said and waited and got the $20 off. It came to about $340 for 6 tickets together for me.

Excellent! Vivid seems to have the lowest ticket prices, but highest fees, so they have room to move.

See you at Buffalo Wild Wings... I'll be in the Orange, Joe T jersey... with about three JJ Watts...

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So....how about an update from you Houstonians about the conditions there?   Is everything good to go with the stadium, surrounding hotels,  party sites etc.  Are there adverse affects from the Hurricane we should know about or be aware of?

If anyone knows.  Thanks.

My friends were back to tailgating for their Home Opener, they're dealing with insurance and clean up at home but the yellow lot is a party.

Archived