THE BROWNS BOARD

religion isnt for everyone....

big red one

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I can understand if an employer thinks that an employee's outward expressions of anything controversial would be counterproductive to their business...

Just remember, especially the liberal guys or the anti Christians, that if that applied to race you would be up in arms.

Maybe someone recalls the reason that freedom of speech was written in to our Bill of Rights? If certain malcontents were writing articles about overthrowing the crown the king, or the king's men, would crush that publisher.

I would imagine there are American citizens who believe that the federal government should be overthrown. Is that punishable again?

But I don't think anyone would disagree that being free to do something means being free from legal consequences. Maybe not personal. If woody wanted to boycott rg3 or boot him off the fantasy team he's free to do it. If the NFL has certain rules as to what he can wear or not?

but you must ask yourself how far can an employer go to restrict the Bill of Rights as terms of employment?

WSS

Oh I can understand if an employer thinks that an employee's outward expressions of anything controversial would be counterproductive to their business...

Just remember, especially the liberal guys or the anti Christians, that if that applied to race you would be up in arms.

Elaborate? Not quite sure I understand the parallel.

Ok so what you religious posters are saying is, if some guy showed up on Pat Robertson's show with a "God loves gay people" (not a message of hate) shirt, turned inside out, you would be appalled by the lack of freedom of speech on his show? GTFOH.

If I showed up in a Star Wars shirt to work tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if they made me go home and change clothes. I feel sooooo oppressed right now.

Elaborate? Not quite sure I understand the parallel.

Everyone likes to point to the example that a business can control what someone says or wears or does or fire them for being controversial if that would be detrimental to their business. Anyone disagree with that?

So yes I guess someone out there might be offended by rg3's shirt, though I'd hope that would be a pretty tiny minority.

I suppose there are restaurant patrons who would rather not let black people touch their food.

2 distinct asshole minorities.

WSS

Everyone likes to point to the example that a business can control what someone says or wears or does or fire them for being controversial if that would be detrimental to their business. Anyone disagree with that?

So yes I guess someone out there might be offended by rg3's shirt, though I'd hope that would be a pretty tiny minority.

I suppose there are restaurant patrons who would rather not let black people touch their food.

2 distinct asshole minorities.

WSS

If the restaurant owner felt that there were enough patrons who would not buy their food if blacks touched it, I could understand if they wished to not have blacks work in their kitchen. It is their business and they have to look out for their bottom line. The flipside is that they had better be ready to deal with the backlash from the otherside. The NFL had better be ready to lose some Christian dollars.

So what would you call freedom of speech then?

Being able to say what you want (with obvious exceptions excluded, like yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater, slander, etc.... rules that are in place now).

You're free to go down south and call them all rednecks, illiterate, etc. You aren't free from people then being dicks to you.

RG3 is free to wear that shirt. He is not free from his employer ordering him to turn it inside out for fear of damaging the business.

Stuff like that.

There is a difference between legal consequence and illegal consequence. You should have the freedom to say Retarded things without being assaulted.

Likely a response from others, whether that be positive or negative. I can walk down the street all day yelling racial slurs. However, I can't say my rights are being infringed upon when someone comes up and tells me how much of a scumbag I am.

true - and forget about the poor me christian persecution complex - that AINT true!

but how about a perceived errosion of the same rights of free speech being taken away?

Im not talking about the pushback from those who disagree about christian faith matters

when it comes to verbally/ or otherwise in a public forum like even here...

everyone can say so - and do so (like yourself and others)

What I mean are there actual efforts in the works to squash all speech regarding religion- (mostly?) Christianity.

because of being outspoken in the beliefs against (pick your topic here) and the way alot of people groups are suddenly

offended? Seems to me that it is then onesided and full of hypocrisy in itself! just sayin - thx for listening....

People just aren't as religious as they used to be and don't want to hear about it. I wouldn't say it is squashing all speech about Christianity. You can say what you will but people are going to disagree and be vocal about it. I am definitely not on board the offended vaginas bandwagon. Religion doesn't offend me at all. I just think it is bogus. I can't stand watching people act horrified like hearing a street preacher ruined their life. But I can definitely get not wanting to hear a sales pitch yelled at you while trying to enjoy your time in a public park.

Religions free speech isn't being squashed. Religion is just being moved to more of a level playing field as it gets less important in everyday life. As generations go by we're getting smarter, progressing, etc. There's less of a need for religion. These perceived attacks on free speech are a consequence of that

Religions free speech isn't being squashed. Religion is just being moved to more of a level playing field as it gets less important in everyday life. As generations go by we're getting smarter, progressing, etc. There's less of a need for religion. These perceived attacks on free speech are a consequence of that

Religion is currently attacking and beheading anyone they disagree with and forcing "free" countries to give in to their fervor. What are you talking about? You're wrong on every level. It's in the news every single day

Religion is currently attacking and beheading anyone they disagree with and forcing "free" countries to give in to their fervor. What are you talking about? You're wrong on every level. It's in the news every single day

Right, and if we could go bad 500, 400, 300, etc years and set up 24/7 news stations, create the internet, and do our best to scare up support I'm sure it would be much, much worse.

Right, and there would be outcries if he wore a shirt that said "Praise Allah" or "There Is No God" too. It's all dumb

You're correct but I don't think those two statements are similar. Praise Allah is what it is. Basically I have nothing against Allah. But there is no God is aggressively taking a swipe at folks who believe. More along the lines of Allah sucks.

For example if Michael Sam wore a shirt with a rainbow on it as opposed to a God hates fags shirt.

WSS

To different religious groups, promoting another religion is no different than saying there is no god. After all, they aren't advertising for the "correct" god and thus will be headed for the fiery pits etc.

I guarantee that this forum would be on fire with banter if a player was allowed to wear a "Praise Allah" shirt during a press conference. I imagine they would be indifferent if it was an atheist wearing a pro-Dawkins shirt.

Archived