THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns Board was created on this date in 2003

admin

Thanks to all who have made this forum into one of the most thriving and educated Cleveland Browns Message Fourms on the Internet.

On this date in 2003 TheBrownsBoard.com was created. The following that made up our initial members had been together since at least 1996-97, on various other Browns forums.

Another important date comes tomorrow (Septemeber 12th) as it marks our Tailgate Crews 14th Anniversary together. Roachmstr & Sperk were instrumental in inviting our forums group to join them at their usual spot since before the Browns moved. On September 12th, 1999 we launched a huge party of nearly 100 individuals whom most had not met one another face-to-face until that party. Since that date we have continued the tradition for each Browns Home game.

Cheers! It's been a pleasure to call this place Home, and to meet many long lasting friends.

GO BROWNS!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Birthday.

Man you have all aged really badly since that opening tailgate, is it Eds grub or all the beer you drink?

Thanks to the board and its members for making us out of country folk feel part of the Browns family so warmly.

Browns all the way,

Howie.

• 3 years later...

It's that time of year again ... Happy Birthday to The Browns Board in turning 10-years old today!

Special Thanks to the Moderators here for carrying the torch for this place and keeping it alive and fun!

Here's to TEN more years, 3 Super Bowls and a non-sterile stadium!

Happy Anniversary to TheBrownsBoard! Congrats and keep em coming!

I came across this group raising hell in October of 97 on AOL.

I fired up my new Gateway computer with the old dial up connection and the first thing I searched on AOL was "Cleveland Browns" which took me to the AOL Grandstand. I picked the handle "Zombo2000" because it was Halloween and I liked the "Zombo" character from the Munsters. And I guess "2000" sounded cool in 1997. Maybe not.

Of course, we didn't have a team yet, but we knew we would be back in 99, and there was plenty of heated discussion whether it be Modell, New Ownership personnel, draft prospects, general hate of all things Pittsburgh and Baltimore, etc.

Lots of folks were already there: Rich & Ghoolie (they hated each other then), KSHutchins, Hoorta, Furnier, Bear222 (Westside Steve) and some clown named Atenears who was in love with Andy Katzenmoyer.

A lot of the guys, like Shep and Mark-O came around about the same time as me. CalFox, DaRubes, Dency Guy, Flugels,Gumbo Dog, Chickopee John ... Thaak ... where has he been? He hasn't posted lately. Vette .. he was a trip. I am leaving out a ton of guys, and many of them still post.

Then we started moving around ... after much haggling by Furnier, we got a "private" Club on AOL, "Boo" was our moderator. But AOL sucked, so "Fat Dad" (Jimmy Deetz RIP Buddy) started "The River Burns", which was a great concept, but he never really got it off the ground. That's when Skippy started a site on CBS Sportline .. that was much more streamlined, and eventually Fatdad's site folded. Then, in 2003, Skippy bought this place and we had a permanent home after wandering through the desert for years.

Even after we moved, I always went back to AOL and posted "This Week in the AFC North", because you'd get a lot more Steeler trolls over there, and I'd love to incite them. I would see Gipper holding court on AOL in those days, eventually he found his way over to us and started pounding us with trivia.

I never wanted to moderate, because I prefered being a trouble maker, and I liked a fair fight ... didn't want to hold "Mod Powers" over someone that had a personal issue with me .. but I've gotten over that.

I'm probably the worst Administrator ever ... someone complained a couple of weeks ago that someone called him a "Retard" on the Board. And my response was "Well, then don't be such a Retard."

I guess that is part of what makes the Browns Board what it is ... we don't give a shit if you are whining ... but we do have a heart, and tons of passion for the Browns.

And if the mother fuckers would ever get their shit together ... we ALL can say we put our time in on The Browns Board.

True fans, every one.

Except about 6 of you.

Zombo

Wow, amazing history. I was just having lunch with my wife and I said, "You know, I think I caught on with this group before the Browns came back, because we SO wanted to talk about it." That sounds exactly right.

Now that you gave that history, I remember being on Prodigy and somebody told me there was a much better board on AOL. Back then, you had to go get an AOL disc at the computer store or tucked into a computer magazine!!

I fired up my new Gateway computer with the old dial up connection and the first thing I searched on AOL was "Cleveland Browns" which took me to the AOL Grandstand. I picked the handle "Zombo2000" because it was Halloween and I liked the "Zombo" character from the Munsters. And I guess "2000" sounded cool in 1997. Maybe not.

Of course, we didn't have a team yet, but we knew we would be back in 99, and there was plenty of heated discussion whether it be Modell, New Ownership personnel, draft prospects, general hate of all things Pittsburgh and Baltimore, etc.

Lots of folks were already there: Rich & Ghoolie (they hated each other then), KSHutchins, Hoorta, Furnier, Bear222 (Westside Steve) and some clown named Atenears who was in love with Andy Katzenmoyer.

A lot of the guys, like Shep and Mark-O came around about the same time as me. CalFox, DaRubes, Dency Guy, Flugels,Gumbo Dog, Chickopee John ... Thaak ... where has he been? He hasn't posted lately. Vette .. he was a trip. I am leaving out a ton of guys, and many of them still post.

Then we started moving around ... after much haggling by Furnier, we got a "private" Club on AOL, "Boo" was our moderator. But AOL sucked, so "Fat Dad" (Jimmy Deetz RIP Buddy) started "The River Burns", which was a great concept, but he never really got it off the ground. That's when Skippy started a site on CBS Sportline .. that was much more streamlined, and eventually Fatdad's site folded. Then, in 2003, Skippy bought this place and we had a permanent home after wandering through the desert for years.

Even after we moved, I always went back to AOL and posted "This Week in the AFC North", because you'd get a lot more Steeler trolls over there, and I'd love to incite them. I would see Gipper holding court on AOL in those days, eventually he found his way over to us and started pounding us with trivia.

I never wanted to moderate, because I prefered being a trouble maker, and I liked a fair fight ... didn't want to hold "Mod Powers" over someone that had a personal issue with me .. but I've gotten over that.

I'm probably the worst Administrator ever ... someone complained a couple of weeks ago that someone called him a "Retard" on the Board. And my response was "Well, then don't be such a Retard."

I guess that is part of what makes the Browns Board what it is ... we don't give a shit if you are whining ... but we do have a heart, and tons of passion for the Browns.

And if the mother fuckers would ever get their shit together ... we ALL can say we put our time in on The Browns Board.

True fans, every one.

Except about 6 of you.

Zombo

Great post Zombo, sums up what I love about not only the Browns Board, but Browns fans in general. We wear our hearts right on our sleeves, for everyone to see. And referring to the lack of regulation on this board, its awesome. Im glad we can vent, complain, cuss, rejoice, celebrate, and then go right back to cussing. Gotta love the Browns, gotta love browns fans, gotta love the Browns Board.

True fans, every one.

Except about 6 of you.

Zombo

I'll just add a little bit about the AOL Days. I logged on for the first time back in 1995, the Internet was just beginning to go mainstream. I really yucked at those guys who were taking "computer science" @ the University of Dayton back in the early 70s. Mouse? Keyboard? Those guys were feeding punch cards into a computer 1\2 the size of a car. Compared to that my Pentium running a 100 mhz, processor, 16 megs of ram, and a whole gigabyte hard drive was the bees knees. Incidentally a machine like that set you back over $2,000.

That was right before the move, and the new medium gave a legion of Browns fans instant linkage to protest Uncle Artie's betrayal. I believe the first time most of us got together live was at "The Final Play". A last chance to visit the old Stadium before they tore it down. Most of the original AOL board members and Baltomoron troll bashers were there, some who haven't been seen in many years, some who still post here. KS Hutchins, myself, pretty sure Atenears was there as well as guys like ArtBeitz, BeesIndy, & MetalMarte. Those last three are sorely missed.

i remember the first 'top of the line' vcr when i was in germany. it was something that weighed about a hundred pounds and had the tapes pop-up from the top. back then in 83 it was like $650. now they throw that shit in the trash on recycling day.

i remember AOL and i still know people that use it. why?

cuz they are as old time computer illiterate as the old vcrs, videodiscs, and colecovision.

I remember the old AOL days. Anytime my Wonderful Cute Wife was busy at open houses, etc,

I'd be yukking it up online there. I miss old Flugels. He talked up the oline a whole lot.

We got our team back, albeit with their hands tied behind their backs.

Then came the historical dumb etc etc etc.

It's been THAT long around here? Egad. I had years to go before I retired. I'm there now...@@

I remember the old AOL days. Anytime my Wonderful Cute Wife was busy at open houses, etc,

I'd be yukking it up online there. I miss old Flugels. He talked up the oline a whole lot.

It's been THAT long around here? Egad. I had years to go before I retired. I'm there now...@@

as am i. maybe one day we can have a tractor race with dogs and wives a screaming!.

Cal was hand cranking his IBM 386 for power.

Cal was hand cranking his IBM 386 for power. Kosar

You aren't far off..lol....

my first computer was a Radio Shack Xt I think it was...had an 8088 processor.

The radio shack guy said it would only work with a radio shack monitor...for 427 bucks.

I got annoyed with him, and went home and hooked up an RF modulator, with my 13" Sony color tv,

and it worked fine. So, I happened to drive by with friends, stopped in.... and told the guy what I

did, right in front of a couple looking to buy a computer...they walked out. Then, while he was helping sombody else, I got on his computer up front, display jobbie, went into DOS, and wrote a small basic program that scrolled

this message across a blank screen until somebody pressed any key:

"Don't buy a computer here, this goof doesn't know what he's talking about....."

My friends laughed again, a week later, when the message was still there. They couldn't figure out

how to get rid of it. B)

It took another four days for them to get someone in to fix it. I "hid" it in their autoexec.bat file, no harm done. lol

Say, why is it that the bold is on, and I can't unbold this post. ???

Archived