THE BROWNS BOARD

The worst picks for every team in the last five years

Tour2ma

Cleveland.com article...

I have to admit there are a couple names I liked more than a little that made their list: CAR's Butler (DT) and Pats' Cyrus Jones (CB), but I can take some solace in the "jury still out" nature of each of their narratives.

Mud's not so lucky... :)

Other observations:

• Couple former Buckeye's made the list.
  • Couple of franchises' contributions to the list have made their way to our roster with one still there.
  • A lot of 1st rounders, but to find a contribution from a couple franchises, the article had to go as deep as Round 3.

http://www.cleveland.com/nfl-draft/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_draft_2017_the_worst_picks.html#incart_target2box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

Cleveland.com article...

I have to admit there are a couple names I liked more than a little that made their list: CAR's Butler (DT) and Pats' Cyrus Jones (CB), but I can take some solace in the "jury still out" nature of each of their narratives.

Mud's not so lucky... :)

Other observations:

• Couple former Buckeye's made the list.
  • Couple of franchises' contributions to the list have made their way to our roster with one still there.
  • A lot of 1st rounders, but to find a contribution from a couple franchises, the article had to go as deep as Round 3.

http://www.cleveland.com/nfl-draft/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_draft_2017_the_worst_picks.html#incart_target2box_default_#incart_target2box_targeted_

Is Jonathan Cooper still on our roster? If not, who are you talking about?

"part of the reason he is the biggest miss is that the Browns traded down and then up to get him. In doing so, the Browns passed on Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack and Mike Evans to get Gilbert and a 2015 first-rounder, which became Cameron Erving, who may be another bust. It’s a perfect example of why the Browns are where they are now."

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch!!

Craig Powell.. even though he went to Baltimore with the rest of the traitors, he still qualifies as a busted pick.

The link only went back like 5 years. But no doubt, you are right.

Here are my Top Baker's Dozen worst Browns First round picks since the institution of the common draft in 1966:

1. Craig Powell

2. Brady Quinn

3. Mike Junkin

4. Clifford Charlton

5. Justin Gilbert

6. Johhny Manziel

7. Willis Adams

8. Steve Holden

9. Pete Adams

10. Barkevious Mingo

11. William Green

12. Brandon Weeden

13. Cam Erving #

# Erving, theoretically could play himself off this list.

You see how bad it is when even Trent Richardson and Courtney Brown and Mack Mitchell and Tommy Vardell can't even crack the Top 13 worst list?

The link only went back like 5 years. But no doubt, you are right.

Here are my Top Baker's Dozen worst Browns First round picks since the institution of the common draft in 1966:

1. Craig Powell

2. Brady Quinn

3. Mike Junkin

4. Clifford Charlton

5. Justin Gilbert

6. Johhny Manziel

7. Willis Adams

8. Steve Holden

9. Pete Adams

10. Barkevious Mingo

11. William Green

12. Brandon Weeden

13. Cam Erving #

# Erving, theoretically could play himself off this list.

You see how bad it is when even Trent Richardson and Courtney Brown and Mack Mitchell and Tommy Vardell can't even crack the Top 13 worst list?

Then it should be the top 20. :) If you're talking level of suck, "Mad Dog in a Meat Market" Mike Junkin tops my list. Richardson makes it too, because we gave up unnecessary picks to draft him.

I've never thought it was fair to include Courtney Brown since his fall was primarily after a bad injury. He had a decent rookie year and was on pace to get nearly a sack a game his second season when the injury occurred. He couda been a contender for all-pro but for that. He was not a bad pick in my mind, just bad luck.

Then it should be the top 20. :) If you're talking level of suck, "Mad Dog in a Meat Market" Mike Junkin tops my list. Richardson makes it too, because we gave up unnecessary picks to draft him.

Well, I got 17 there, go ahead and add your additional 3-5. Oi!

I've never thought it was fair to include Courtney Brown since his fall was primarily after a bad injury. He had a decent rookie year and was on pace to get nearly a sack a game his second season when the injury occurred. He couda been a contender for all-pro but for that. He was not a bad pick in my mind, just bad luck.

I don't know. Even when he had no health issues he played far too passively to live up to his draft status.

The one guy I did not include, though perhaps rightly he should be included was Don Rogers. He died after his first or second season from cocaine. I guess if someone is considered a bust because in injury. (see Kijana Carter, Emtman etc.) a guy that kills himself essentially should get the same treatment.

We gave up unnecessary picks to take Richardson but then got a 1st round pick from the Colts for his dead ass. Of course we then fucked that up by taking Manzidiot but we did get a 1st round pick for Richardson.

So Gip like to highjack threads and bitch if someone strays out of the lane he sets up in his... got it...

"part of the reason he is the biggest miss is that the Browns traded down and then up to get him. In doing so, the Browns passed on Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack and Mike Evans to get Gilbert and a 2015 first-rounder, which became Cameron Erving, who may be another bust. It’s a perfect example of why the Browns are where they are now."

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch!!

Debate over at reddit if Gilbert was even our worst...

The other contender was Trent Richardson... who we moved up to take... passing over Kuechly, Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe, and Fletcher Cox... then traded for a 1st round pick... that we spent on JFF.

That's messed up right there...

So Gip like to highjack threads and bitch if someone strays out of the lane he sets up in his... got it...

The thread is about the worst draft picks made over a period of time.

All I did was extend the time a bit, and limit it to those made by the Browns.

So, as I see it, I simply extrapolated and narrowed it at the same time so as to be of interest to the readers of this forum.

After all....why should Browns fans on a Browns forum give a shit about the failed draft picks of other teams.

And I am not the one to even start it....whomever mentioned Craig Powell got that rolling.

Your thank you to me for saving your thread is welcome. :excl:

Debate over at reddit if Gilbert was even our worst...

The other contender was Trent Richardson... who we moved up to take... passing over Kuechly, Stephon Gilmore, Dontari Poe, and Fletcher Cox... then traded for a 1st round pick... that we spent on JFF.

That's messed up right there...

Brady Quinn was worse than them both.

Oh...I'm sorry...did I go out of your preset boring parameters? Oops.

Mike Junkin was the worst 1st round pick in Browns history

They traded Chip Banks to get to the #5 pick for Junkin

But for our ACTUAL first round pick, it has to be. Courtney Brown. The lamest, unmotivated, worthless, piece of garbage EVER

But for our ACTUAL first round pick, it has to be. Courtney Brown. The lamest, unmotivated, worthless, piece of garbage EVER

For a #1 over all, agreed. Forgot who on the Broncos called him "soft".

Kellen WInslow.

Nah Tom, "Knievel" Winslow doesn't rate. Unless we're talking biggest dum-dums ever drafted by the Browns. He did make the Pro Bowl once. As much potential as Josh Gordon, but left it in the parking lot.

Yeah... Kellen couldn't stay healthy. There was that whole "warrior" thing rant, but at its root was passion, so a partial pass on that.

Same with Brown... injury-related is a special subset of worst. Solid rookie year... only full season he was on the field.

Junkin? Injuries, but also a healthy dose of "not very good".

Yeah... Kellen couldn't stay healthy. There was that whole "warrior" thing rant, but at its root was passion, so a partial pass on that.

Same with Brown... injury-related is a special subset of worst. Solid rookie year... only full season he was on the field.

Junkin? Injuries, but also a healthy dose of "not very good".

Brown had 4.5 sacks those first 5 games of his second year before the injury. Say what anyone will, but that tells me he was beginning to live up to the pick.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Brown was healthy he would've be AT LEAST a "solid" player, but I'd guess he would've been closer to "damn good". Obviously no way to know, and it's his awful luck (and ours), but life goes on. God that pick really hurt us.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Brown was healthy he would've be AT LEAST a "solid" player, but I'd guess he would've been closer to "damn good". Obviously no way to know, and it's his awful luck (and ours), but life goes on. God that pick really hurt us.

Even completely busting on high picks won't doom you forever (I hope). The Bengals flamed out on Ki-Jana Carter and Akilli Smith, until they figured out how to properly assess talent. And regarding the Cincinnati Kitties, I fully expect them to reside in the AFC North basement this year- penny pincher Mike Browns couldn't open the wallet (as usual) to keep Witworth and Zeitler. Dalton had better up his life insurance before the season, because their o-line in general has guys you never heard of

The same for Couch. He WAS a solid QB in my opinion, until he got hurt. I mean he "took" (if you attribute things to a QB) the Browns from no playing personell to the playoffs in 4 years. Then rotator cuff and that other shoulder problem did him in.

Yeah, he does rate a horrible bust. Especially considering we moved up from 7 to 6 to take this turd, and the Steelers took Big Ben 5 picks later He NEVER "MADE" THE PRO BOWL...... He was selected as an alternate. Antonio Gates sat out due to injury and Winslow got the Putney Swope vote.

Also, he didn't call himself a warroir, after his block on a sweep took out 2 TN Volunteer players, he called himself a "fucking soldier".

Winslow was a garbage pick.

He wasn't the biggest garbage pick since 1999 by far. He did have that one decent season. Trent Richardson had an almost decent rookie year, and at least we suckered the Colts into giving us a first round pick for him (which we blew on Johnny Manziel). Justin Gilbert completely stunk from the get-go, and the amount of talent we passed on to get this stiff is staggering. I'd have to put him #2 behind Mike Junkin in non-contributions as a first round pick..

BTW, if your standard is what we could have done, instead did do. Cameron Wimbley or Haloti Ngata? Far worse was Braylon "Butterfingers" Edwards. It was known he had bad hands in college- he would rank way up there on your stinko scale too, because a bunch of picks lower Aaron Rodgers was sitting there.

Archived