THE BROWNS BOARD

Engineering Careers in Cleveland

MLD Woody

or if you don't want to take anyone else's advice......

do a google search of mechanical engineering markets in the areas you would be willing to travel to within ohio.

then flood the market with your separate cover letters and resume.

seems like you're wasting our time. sometimes you have to go beneath your value to get in the door of a company that you would love to work for and live off of kraft macaroni and cheese and hot dog soup for a year.

your complexion might not be the best but if you prove to your employers you got what it takes and they hire you full-time, then just climb the ladder son.

oh and btw what's got you stuck on ohio (no disrespect, i plan on moving back there within the next decade)? but you have to go to where the jobs are.

I'm not stuck on Ohio, I visited maybe 20 companies at my career fair. I've already had interviews with Proctor and Gamble, Rolls-Royce, etc and have others like 3M, GM, etc coming up. I know its dumb to just say N.E.O. jobs and ignore the rest. I'm throwing myself out there to see what I can get in the MidWest or US.

I like where I live though. I like Cleveland and I think it would be s good area to start a career.

My focus is more manufacturing based, not design. The common theme from all the companies I've talked to is there is a rising demand for manufacturing engineers, but not so much design. I'm not stuck on manufacturing, but that is where a lot of my work experience is.

Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to look into in the area. I figured there are a lot of guys fr Cleveland on the board. I'm not so much looking for career advice, but I'll listen to anything you want to say.

I'm not trying to come off as arrogant or something being beneath me or whatever. I just have a decent idea where I stand and am really only looking for company names, ones I really would never have heard of or ones others on here recommended

I don't think Woody is a Nuclear Engineer.

no, but he could probably hit the switch for the sub-pump.

hey everything manufacturing wise is going to be centralized wherever the new energy sources are. i.e. wind power (out in tornado alley) or water (on the coasts).

my grandfather (besides once being mayor of sandusky), helped found 'new departure' which manufactured ball bearings and products that needed ball bearings.

here in westchester new york 2 miles south where i live now there was a production company that made steel tension wires that had 2 shifts operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week. well they have since knocked that plant down, knocked the GM plant down in sleepy hollow and new departure is all but departed.

yeah, i would have loved to work 2 blocks from where i lived in sandusky at an ad agency that gave the options to retire at 49. but the ginsu knife factory or callahan motors only had a 5 year plan. just like the browns FO.

get out of ohio for a while and see the world. love ohio (born and bred) but sometimes getting on that jet plane can change your life for the better.

Archived