THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 10 NCAA FOOTBALL, top 25, games and more, B1G still BIG

mjp28

WEEK 10 AP TOP 25

1. Alabama 8-0 (60)

2. Michigan 8-0 (1) <--- eventual #1 vs #2 showdown?

3. Clemson 8-0

4. Washington 8-0

5. Louisville 7-1

6. Ohio State 7-1

7. Texas A&M 7-1

8. Wisconsin 6-2

9. Nebraska 7-1

10. Florida 6-1

11. Auburn 6-2

12. Oklahoma 6-2

13. Baylor 6-1

14. West Virginia 6-1 <--- the also rans are dropping

15. LSU 5-2

16. Utah 7-2

17. Western Michigan 8-0

18. North Carolina 6-2

19. Florida State 5-3

20. Penn State 6-2 <--- 5 B1G in top 20

21. Colorado 6-2

22. Oklahoma State 6-2

23. Virginia Tech 6-2

24. Boise State 7-1

25. Washinton State 6-2

Others Receiving Votes: Houston 65, Southern Cal 40, San Diego St. 21, Troy 20, Tennessee 17, South Florida 10, Arkansas 7, Wyoming 5, Tulsa 3

Remember when HOU and TEN were preseason top 10 or better hypes?

POLL METHODOLOGY

The AP Top 25 is determined by a simple points system based on how each voter ranks college football's best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first place vote, 24 for second place and so on through to the 25th team, which receives one point. The rankings are set by listing the teams' point totals from highest to lowest. The mathematical formula is the same as the one used for the AP Pro 32 rankings and the AP Top 25 rankings for men's and women's basketball.

HISTORY OF THE POLL

The Associated Press began its college football poll on Oct. 19, 1936, and it is now the longest-running poll of those that award national titles at the end of the season. The preseason poll was started in 1950. A panel of 61 sports writers and broadcasters from around the country votes on the poll weekly. All of the voters have an extensive background in covering college football. Alabama's ten AP national titles lead the way, with Notre Dame sitting second with eight. Oklahoma has seven, while Miami and Southern California have five each. Each team's ranking will be mentioned in AP stories throughout the preseason and the regular season, along with a link to the Top 25: collegefootball.ap.org/poll

A peek ahead....?

CFP and Selection Committee Bowl Games

Bowl Date Matchup Prediction

Fiesta Bowl Dec. 31 No. 2 vs. No. 3 Michigan vs. Clemson

Peach Bowl Dec. 31 No. 1 vs. No. 4 Alabama vs. Washington

Orange Bowl Dec. 30 ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame Louisville vs. Wisconsin

Cotton Bowl Jan. 2 At-large vs. At-large Western Michigan vs. Florida

Sugar Bowl Jan. 2 Big 12 vs. SEC Baylor vs. Texas A&M

Rose Bowl Jan. 2 Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Ohio State vs. Utah

Preseason Top 10 - Where Are They Now? :):(

Rank Team 2016 Record Week 10 Ranking

1 Alabama 8-0 No. 1

2 Clemson 8-0 No. 3

3 Oklahoma 6-2 No. 12

4 Florida State 5-3 No. 19

5 LSU 5-2 No. 15

6 Ohio State 7-1 No. 6 <--- still #6 might end up there

7 Michigan 8-0 No. 2

8 Stanford 5-3 NR

9 Tennessee 5-3 NR

10 Notre Dame 3-5 NR

Why is OSU ranked ahead of A&M other than preseason ranking?

As an OSU homer, even I have to admit they were ranked way too high at the start. Lost a ton of talent and there would be some learning/growing pains.

I figured they'd get better as the season progressed. That's not the case.

They're re definitely in a funk right now. While it's possible they may win out, I highly doubt that happens.

But to answer your question (lol), maybe they get a pass because of Urban Meyer. You know, even 'Bama got passes due to Saban...even when they lost on their home field in consecutive years, they never fell far in the polls.

If you all remember OHIO STATE was rather busy stocking the NFL Draft last year, this is still a pretty young team except for JT and a few others. They will get somewhat better this year and next.

And you see how big Ezekiel Elliott was to this team last year. ....and my FL this year :)

Why is OSU ranked ahead of A&M other than preseason ranking?

First 6 and 7 are close in the AP I believe OSU is lower in other pools. Plus the B1G is still well represented in the top 20 here so obviously the voters here are weighting it that way.

Welcome to a Big Ten fans world when asking about 1 and 2 loss SEC teams the last 5-6 years.

Did you guys have some dominant wins against the SEC this season or something? Wisconsin narrowly beat LSU in effectively a home game. Any others?

Looking over the full rankings again, I guess I understand it. Three of our ranked wins have now dropped out of the top 25 while Penn State has creeped into it.

Suck it, all. Ohio State/A&M arguments aside, I think we can all agree Washington hasn't done much yet.

I was real flipping drunk last Saturday didn't they just squeak by Utah for a win ? also the pac 12 is really down this year so they could win out except for maybe the apple cup game vs Washington state (rivalry game)

o.k lets play this fichigan wins out untill they play The Buckeyes pediphile state wins out all teams have one loss fich beat the pediphiles they beat us we beat the team from up north,,,so who go's to the champoinship game ?

Suck it, all. Ohio State/A&M arguments aside, I think we can all agree Washington hasn't done much yet.

.....as long as they don't miss the bus to the airport. :lol:

I was real flipping drunk last Saturday didn't they just squeak by Utah for a win ? also the pac 12 is really down this year so they could win out except for maybe the apple cup game vs Washington state (rivalry game)

The winning score was a punt return for TD where there were three pretty blatant blocks in the back that went uncalled. Ridiculous.

The Pac 12 is down, but 3 of 4 of Washington's remaining opponents (4 of 5 if they make the PAC 12 championship game) are P5 teams with winning records. USC has as much talent as anyone besides Alabama. Cal loves to sneak up on teams. And the CCG will be difficult.

I see no way Washington wins out.

o.k lets play this fichigan wins out untill they play The Buckeyes pediphile state wins out all teams have one loss fich beat the pediphiles they beat us we beat the team from up north,,,so who go's to the champoinship game ?

Don't know about the B1G but in the SEC it basically ends up coming down to the conference records of the teams they played from the OTHER division. And if that's all equal then it's a coin flip.

They factor in overall records to determine division champions? That's trash.

SEC bias my ass. I'd bet a ton of money Washington isn't traveling to Tuscaloosa and Auburn and coming out 1-1. Their schedule is a joke. They have one ranked win, and the winning TD on the punt return had 3 blatant blocks in the back that went uncalled.

Don't know why I'm ranting though. Washington will lose a game. Book it. A&M may well do the same, but Washington is more likely to.

11/2/16 - ODDS TO WIN 2016 COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (on 1/11/17) (vegasinsider.com)

Team Odds

Alabama 3/2

Clemson 5/1

Ohio State 5/1 <--- do remember oddsmakers set the lines, bettors move it

Michigan 13/2

Louisville 10/1

Washington 10/1

LSU 25/1 <---- beginning of the next tier

Texas A&M 35/1

Wisconsin 35/1

Auburn 40/1

Florida 40/1

Oklahoma 40/1

Nebraska 60/1

West Virginia 75/1

Baylor 80/1

Oklahoma State 80/1

Virginia Tech 125/1

Washington State 125/1

North Carolina 200/1

Utah 200/1

Colorado 250/1

Houston 300/1

Western Michigam 300/1

Don't know about the B1G but in the SEC it basically ends up coming down to the conference records of the teams they played from the OTHER division. And if that's all equal then it's a coin flip.

OSU would make the playoffs.

PSU gets eliminated from the tiebreaker from having a worse overall record. Then OSU gets by Michigan on the head to head...

... or it is the highest CFP Ranking. Which would also be OSU.

Thank You

College Football Playoff Rankings - WEEK 10

RK TEAM REC TREND LAST WEEK NEXT WEEK

1 Alabama 8-0 NR — 11/5 @ #13 LSU

2 Clemson 8-0 NR @ Florida State W 37-34 11/5 vs Syracuse

3 Michigan 8-0 NR @ Michigan State W 32-23 11/5 vs Maryland

4 Texas A&M 7-1 NR vs New Mexico State W 52-10 11/5 @ Mississippi State

5 Washington 8-0 NR @ Utah W 31-24 11/5 @ California

6 Ohio State 7-1 NR vs Northwestern W 24-20 11/5 vs #10 Nebraska

7 Louisville 7-1 NR @ Virginia W 32-25 11/5 @ Boston College

8 Wisconsin 6-2 NR vs Nebraska W 23-17 11/5 @ Northwestern

9 Auburn 6-2 NR @ Ole Miss W 40-29 11/5 vs Vanderbilt

10 Nebraska 7-1 NR @ Wisconsin L 23-17 11/5 @ #6 Ohio State

11 Florida 6-1 NR vs Georgia W 24-10 11/5 @ Arkansas

12 Penn State 6-2 NR @ Purdue W 62-24 11/5 vs Iowa

13 LSU 5-2 NR — 11/5 vs #1 Alabama

14 Oklahoma 6-2 NR vs Kansas W 56-3 11/3 @ Iowa State

15 Colorado 6-2 NR — 11/3 vs UCLA

16 Utah 7-2 NR vs Washington L 31-24 —

17 Baylor 6-1 NR @ Texas L 35-34 11/5 vs TCU

18 Oklahoma State 6-2 NR vs West Virginia W 37-20 11/5 @ Kansas State

19 Virginia Tech 6-2 NR @ Pittsburgh W 39-36 11/5 @ Duke

20 West Virginia 6-1 NR @ Oklahoma State L 37-20 11/5 vs Kansas

21 North Carolina 6-2 NR — 11/5 vs Georgia Tech

22 Florida State 5-3 NR vs Clemson L 37-34 11/5 @ NC State

23 Western Michigan 8-0 NR @ Ball State W 52-20 @ Ball State W 52-20

24 Boise State 7-1 NR @ Wyoming L 30-28 11/4 vs San José State

25 Washington State 6-2 NR @ Oregon State W 35-31 11/5 vs Arizona

EDITOR'S PICKS

Committee throws a curveball in first CFP rankings

A 7-1 Texas A&M ranked ahead of 8-0 Washington? The selection committee raised a few eyebrows with its first CFP rankings, but a theme emerged: The SEC is not as down as we might have thought.

If the College Football Playoff were today ...

After the committee surprisingly picked Texas A&M over Washington at No. 4, the semifinals would feature a Crimson Tide-Aggies rematch and Clemson vs. Michigan.

Bowl projections heading into Week 10

National championship game rematch? One of our experts says it's possible after Clemson took down Florida State on Saturday.

Really went out on a limb there predicting a NC rematch. How much did they pay this "expert" for that insight? Lol.

Here's a prediction for free. Your top 7 is Bama, Clemson, Michigan, A&M, Washington, Ohio State, and Louisville. I predict at least five losses from those 7 teams. I think two of the undefeateds drop one, Washington drops one, and two of A&M/Ohio State/Louisville lose again. The distribution might not be quite like that but I stand by five more losses among that top 7.

November is a fun month.

Archived