THE BROWNS BOARD

Redskins lose Trademark Registration

The Gipper

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of those names you describe don't carry the same weight of redskin. Blackhawk was a revered warrior and leader of the area close to Chicago, Braves were warriors in general, and Indians were akin to calling "African-American" people "black". Sure, even some people find that wrong but most people accept that. The logos, especially Chief Wahoo, are I'm sure going to change sooner than latter.

Redskin was the slang term for Native Americans akin to using the "n-word" for black people. There's a lot of interesting ideas of the history behind the word itself, but it undoubtedly became the slang phrase to use towards Native Americans as lesser, inferior people. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other really but I can understand why Native Americans would be pretty peeved off about it.

It's a myth that they're "peeved off" about it. They've never even complained about it until a couple years ago when this entire hubbub started. To grant their request now would be to implicitly grant license to anyone to begin complaining about anything NFL-related with the knowledge that the NFL will soon enough cave.

Page 1 of the liberal playbook: complain until you get your way. No coincidence these are the same techniques used by small children.

The logo difference is those other teams, Blackhawks, Seminoles, Braves, Redskins have proud dignified appearing images, unlike the cooning, skinning and grinning Wahoo.

PC is nothing new. Thats why the baseball teams Atlanta Crackers and Atl Black Crackers no linger exist. If they still did, you probably wouldnt like

Actually we really wouldn't care, which is why those words have never had any sting. YOU have the choice of whether or not you're going to be offended by something.

It's a myth that they're "peeved off" about it. They've never even complained about it until a couple years ago when this entire hubbub started. To grant their request now would be to implicitly grant license to anyone to begin complaining about anything NFL-related with the knowledge that the NFL will soon enough cave.

Page 1 of the liberal playbook: complain until you get your way. No coincidence these are the same techniques used by small children.

So you've talked to many Native Americans and asked their opinion on it? So I should tell my Native American friends who, ya know, live and work with other Native Americans and have always been opposed to the slur they don't actually feel that way? Get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds and realize the world is a big place. Just because you feel like it shouldn't offend anyone doesn't mean jack shit. It's not "liberal" or "PC" to change things that marginalize huge groups of people, it's the right thing to do.

So you've talked to many Native Americans and asked their opinion on it? So I should tell my Native American friends who, ya know, live and work with other Native Americans and have always been opposed to the slur they don't actually feel that way? Get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds and realize the world is a big place. Just because you feel like it shouldn't offend anyone doesn't mean jack shit. It's not "liberal" or "PC" to change things that marginalize huge groups of people, it's the right thing to do.

They arent a huge group of people... around 2%

So what size doesnt get a voice???? Is there a cutoff?

How about people just get over themselves with the fake outrage.

You must really be young. There have been protests about the Redskins name going back to the 60s and 70s.

And you know who those liberals are who have been complaining all this time? Indians. Native Americans.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/

They use the name for their own high school teams. And no that's not comparable to black people using the n word because they're not using it in official capacities (like their high school mascots). Give me a freaking break.

definitely not a new issue.....Gipper is right....it's been news since the 70's and get restirred just about every decade....I remember a huge hubub when they were in the super bowl(early 90's?).....Id say it's nowhere near as loud as it was back then.....been a controversial name for almost 50 years now....

If that is the case then why are people now conceding the issue? Why isn't the reaction "ehh, this happens every few years. It's not gonna change."? All I see out there is "yeah they're gonna change it pretty soon."

Ok well I wasn't around before the old protests but this one sure does strike me as different. And this is JMO, but you should care. Your team could be next. "First they came for the Redskins, but I did not stand up, because I was not a Redskins fan...."

Ok well I wasn't around before the old protests but this one sure does strike me as different. And this is JMO, but you should care. Your team could be next. "First they came for the Redskins, but I did not stand up, because I was not a Redskins fan...."

Not really. ...there are no more protests or noise than there ever was. The only reason it should strike you as different is this time a federal court ruled against them. So that is the one and only change. And Id expect they ruled that way now simply because laws and trademark regulations relating to racism have been updated since the 70's.

My team hasn't been the focus of 45 years worth or protests and requests to change our name. So why in the world would or should I expect them to be "next"....????

I wonder if their logo(the indian image) would be ok, if they just agreed to change the name?

A decent compromise might be to change the "redskins" name, whilst maintaining the familiar colors and logo design.....

Ironically, I think they have exactly the opposite issue to the Indians.....in that our name is ok, but the Chief Wahoo logo seems to offend some......conversely, Washingtons logo seems fine, but the name offends....

Or if the name would be okay if they changed the logo to a bag of potatoes

Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

Btw.....i LOVE the potato idea!

No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

So I suppose it's just come to a head the last 2 years for no real reason, Gipper? Ok.

This is the second day after which it was declared by a court that the name and logos are no longer entitled to trademark registration. To my knowledge this is the first time such a challenge has been made and such an authoritative ruling been issued by a court.

That is the reason it has now "come to a head"....because never in history has there been legal consequences to the use of the term....only "moral" consequences. Now there may in fact be a legal impact.

If that is the case then why are people now conceding the issue? Why isn't the reaction "ehh, this happens every few years. It's not gonna change."? All I see out there is "yeah they're gonna change it pretty soon."

See the answer to my previous post. If there are negative legal and/or commercial consequences to the continued use of it, then maybe it will change. It is not mandatory that it change. Dan Snyder says it will not change. If the 31 other owners lose millions of bucks on the deal they may however have their say. I mean, if they think they are going to lose a farthing on a deal they jump up and down like they are walking on hot coals.

I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

Well that's great idealistic thinking. If it was just Snyder versus native Americans, then fine. But it's Snyder versus Native Americans, the ACLU, our president, our Congress, etc.

See the answer to my previous post. If there are negative legal and/or commercial consequences to the continued use of it, then maybe it will change. It is not mandatory that it change. Dan Snyder says it will not change. If the 31 other owners lose millions of bucks on the deal they may however have their say. I mean, if they think they are going to lose a farthing on a deal they jump up and down like they are walking on hot coals.

I get what you're saying but it was coming to a head long before this decision. Felt like it anyway.

Liberals are always picketing my office because of my use of the moniker "the Gipper" in social media. They think I am going turn a blind eye to apartheid, or sell arms to Iran, or cut money to AIDS research, or institute trickle down policies, or kick guys they think are keeping our airlines safe out of a job.

I have to tell them....there you go again, confusing me with that other guy. Get it through your head. He is dead....and so is the football player he portrayed in a movie. This is just little ole me. :wacko: :lol:

The Rainbow Warriors were the name of the Hawaii University sports teams.

Is that an offer? You looking for a little gay Indian action?

4ffca83b9bfafbe097afd322d9c3ad1c.jpg

Sure thing fat ass.

I get what you're saying but it was coming to a head long before this decision. Felt like it anyway.

No, hell, its been a lot worse from a protest standpoint. Like I said, you must be very young. This has been going on forever. (and that includes Chief Wahoo protests....of which I own several hats and shirts with that logo)

Sure thing fat ass.

I belee dat. You live in Albecracky....maybe you can find this guy out at the Jicarilla.

oh the great ol' U S of A where you are a hero if you change your gender or march to defend thugs.

how come there is no great surge or PC push to change the indian's 'chief wahoo' logo? (maybe cuz the indians don't play in dc?)

how about this, we scrap everything ever done. clean your mind of the overly gay frankenberry commercials, the times where people used to drink and smoke on tv. stop all comedians from cracking jokes that might offend people and we can all have grey skin (melting pot), no hair, big eyes, no nose and dress in robes and watch soccer. how's that? will everybody be happy then?

(doubt it).

Archived