THE BROWNS BOARD

Mini Camp notes

Zombo

Man I like how all 3 of our coaches speak. No bullshit, straight talk, answers the questions. I can't remember the last time I liked the Bowns' HC, OC and DC this much.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I like how all 3 of our coaches speak. No bullshit, straight talk, answers the questions. I can't remember the last time I liked the Bowns' HC, OC and DC this much.

+1

I like the whole organization......everybody seems competent and focused......

Feels light years beyond the smug know it all crap Banner-Lombardi would try to spin.....and Pettine vs Shurmur is a no brainer too....

+1

Feels light years beyond the smug know it all crap Banner-Lombardi would try to spin.....and Pettine vs Shurmur is a no brainer too....

It's very odd to hear most everybody in agreement on our staff.

Somebody let Ghoolie in so he can bitch about Ray Farmer not taking both Mariota and Winston or something.

Somebody let Ghoolie in so he can bitch about Ray Farmer not taking both Mariota and Winston or something.

... or Haslam...

Time to give Jimmy some props? In my experience when an organization gets this good, this fast, you have to look at the top.

Even from a mile above he spotted a dysfunction organization and cleaned house. He sent both his football "brains" packing along with their HC.

Then he flattened the Org, delineated responsibilities and hired/retained competence in Pet/Farmer. Ever since he has backed them with aggressive patience (copyright pending).

Then with his Org sputtering after the disappointing 2014 finish, he called all to "the retreat" and we haven't heard rumblings since.

And he did all this with issues in "other" business swirling around him.

It's all good stuff that is more than enough to make me forgive any 2014 Draft meddling, if in fact it occurred (and I still do not think it did). Ditto for any input into the 2014 OC choice.

By contrast nurturing our growth should be relatively easy the next couple years. There will be bumps in the road, but nothing Jimmy can't handle based upon what we've seen so far.

Next Org challenge: Sustaining...

... or Haslam...

Time to give Jimmy some props? In my experience when an organization gets this good, this fast, you have to look at the top.

Even from a mile above he spotted a dysfunction organization and cleaned house. He sent both his football "brains" packing along with their HC.

Then he flattened the Org, delineated responsibilities and hired/retained competence in Pet/Farmer. Ever since he has backed them with aggressive patience (copyright pending).

Then with his Org sputtering after the disappointing 2014 finish, he called all to "the retreat" and we haven't heard rumblings since.

And he did all this with issues in "other" business swirling around him.

It's all good stuff that is more than enough to make me forgive any 2014 Draft meddling, if in fact it occurred (and I still do not think it did). Ditto for any input into the 2014 OC choice.

By contrast nurturing our growth should be relatively easy the next couple years. There will be bumps in the road, but nothing Jimmy can't handle based upon what we've seen so far.

Next Org challenge: Sustaining...

Well said......personally have never had issue with Haslem and, to me, he is clearly the reason this team has turned around...

A lot of focus has been on the revolving door the Browns have had since their return. Problem was that Randy WAS the problem. So when he left is exactly when I started having hope for change.....am Im not disappointed...

It's very odd to hear most everybody in agreement on our staff.

The tragedies of drafting Joe Thomas, Alex Mack and Joel Bitonio in the first couple of rounds left the poor guy watching lost episodes of the Mandrell Sisters and Heehaw on Sunday afternoons.

It's a good thing nobody had the heart to tell him that the 4-12 record from 2013 was suddenly a 6-3 and 7-4 start in 2014. There has to be more intelligent sources of football conversation available to him than those of us noticing an about-face improvement like that. God bless him!

Big three vids are up at clevelandbrowns.com.

Pet's (9:39) - http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Mike-Pettine-We-Accomplished-A-Lot-This-Spring/87e3d4fd-920a-45c6-83ff-8a42160c7ad7

• Can't remember Pet talking about "practice efficiency before"... praises staff for mini-camp organization.
  • On season without "Manziel Mania": "Can't lie and say 'I miss that.'"
  • Offseason stand-outs: K'waun WIlliams and Gabe.
  • On Desir: "He's progressed as we would expect given his (strong) work ethic. We know at minimum that he's a good match-up guy... bigger WRs on the line... TEs."
  • On 4-man D-line: "We say we're 3-4, but we are more 3.5-3.5 the way we do it."
  • "Love the (skill) diversity of the TE room."
Flip's (12:39) - http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/DeFilippo_The_Offense_Is_Riding_The_Wave/9c989fff-057f-414f-924e-9bfe2e79e2d1
  • Offense is about 90% in.
  • On McCown: "He's a much better... much smarter QB than he was in '07. All those things you are looking for in a starting QB Josh McCown has."
  • "When Josh has peaks and valleys in practice sometimes is when he's worried about the ten other guys and not himself."
  • On JM: "I saw him the other day get to his third progression which was fantastic. Other area of improvement... huddle management. Has he made every throw as 'strike-point' accurate as we want? No... but that will come. You want to work outside in with these guys. You want to work the 'big picture' and then you can really hone in on what they need to do with the other parts of playing QB."
  • On WR corps: "... a great job of going out and adding a lot of diversity and body types." Overlap, but no duplication in skill sets of even the same body type.
  • On QB competition: "I don't see a change going into camp, but we are a long way from Kick-off against the Jets. Last year I was place where we were sold on a starter, too, then a rookie came in and out played him in the Pre-season."
  • On RB use: "Ride the back with the hot hand."
  • On Cam: "Cam is in the mix. (Day One of training camp) probably RG."
  • On Schwartz/ Greco: "I like both. I think Mitchell has gotten a lot better in pass protection this Off-season. It's hard to tell without the pads on... I'm pleased with Schwartz. I'm pleased with Greco. I think both of those guys have had a positive Spring." (The lack of specifics on Greco were noteable.)
O'Neil's (12:33) - http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/ONeil_Proud_Of_Where_The_Defense_Is_At/a075269e-3f29-4d43-a11a-ab15ff526c8f
  • On stopping the run: "Staff got beat up a bit in Phase 2 since players can't go against each other so the coaches have to be 'the dummies'. I had some bruises on my chest... It's been a point of emphasis for us. I'm happy with where we are at, but we'll really know in a couple months."
  • Changes Year 2: "We'll look a little different... every year since we build scheme around players. Our top calls last year will not be our top this year. We have new pieces to work with."
  • On Dansby Pre-snap: 80% of time he gathers info that helps position him... OK with 80, but there were times it hurt. Spent time coaching him up. He had phenomenal year. His alignments are not "the reason" we struggled against the run.
  • On the Roster: Defensive staff met with Farmer's staff last night. "The thing I love about Ray and Pet's philosophy is we are going to keep the 53 best players. So if we are one or two 'heavy' (at a position)..."
  • On Shelton: "Very, very smart... In two days he's only had one bust and we threw the whole playbook at him."
  • On playing time: "Nobody is guaranteed anything on the Defense. You are going to have to earn Playing Time and we are deep in every position group."
  • Under the Radar Players by Position: "I'm excited by all (these) guys."
    • D-line: "Xavier Cooper... He's different than anything we have. His ability to get off the ball."
    • OLB: "Scott Solomon... He brings something to the table we were missing last year, especially on early downs."
    • ILB: "Tank Carder... He has had an unbelievable off-season. Never had a chance to evaluate him last year (injuries). I can envision him earning a role as a blitzer. He is one of the best blitzers on our team."
    • DB: "Poyer has opened my eyes. His pre-snap communication has been outstanding. He's improved in man coverage."
  • On Gipson's return: "I'm excited to have Gip back in the building. He stayed in his playbook. He's talking in the meeting rooms like he hasn't missed a beat."
  • On the changing game: "Smaller, quicker, faster guys are better against (ZBS attack) and the pass. There's no doubt that those old-school, come-downhill-and-knock-your head-off linebackers are a dying breed."
  • On Mingo: "Right now he's our best OLB in coverage. We'll see when the pads come on how well he sets the edge."
More professional summary of Jim's thoughts on D here: http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/6/18/8810401/notes-from-browns-defensive-coordinator-jim-oneil-on-final-day-of

YOWSA - Thanks for the goodies Tour! Hope you don't mind - here's a few piggybacks.

One of the many videos I saw about Shelton talked about how unique he was at breaking down film and seeing vulnerabilities that didn't always jump out at teammates. On top of that, I heard he was an academic stud. Sounds like he can be the defensive version of Alex Mack right in the center of the line. As outrageous as this sounds - a prerequisite to playing intelligent football is that very underrated vision intangible even scouts lose sight of sometimes. I think a lot of us have seen some really exciting film of Shelton. I remember you pointed out how frequently takes great angles when he's tackling people with good foot speed. He also seems to know opponents that like to cutback so there's times he's in perfect position to shut a play down while many of his teammates have overpursued. A 1st step instinct on game day can come right out of the film room. For example, think about how many times you saw a guy like Teddy Bruschi beating much better foot speeds to the football in his hook zone for an INT in playoff/big games. Shelton may never be a role model for the 40 yard dash. That said, his vision, intelligence, 1st step instinct and power are more than welcome in a world where the average play lasts about 3-4 seconds.

As for Mingo, I've been saying it's nice to see what his athleticism and 6'4" levers can do in coverage. I liked how our coaching staff tapped that last year despite the reality Mingo was only playing with 1 healthy flipper. When Horton alienated him to a hand down in the grass and hoped for Reggie White (minus 100 lbs) - we got a matador in training instead. In 2014, I saw one of the best delayed X-stunt blitzes outside with Mingo I've seen in years. He's got really good closing speed for that kind of thing on top of what he offers us in coverage. As O'Neil's work in Buffalo showed us, he's pretty good at coaching up young LBers (ie Kiko Alonso). I've never seen better from Craig Robertson than we saw following Dansby's injury.

Pittsburgh used draft LBers and invest a couple years into coachign them up before replacing their previous Pro Bowl LBer with their next Pro Bowl LBer. We may not have Pro Bowl LBers to replace right now; BUT Carder has some training invested in him. This will be fun to watch play out. Meanwhile, Solomon looks like he can be stout against the run. As much as I liked Armonty Bryant's pass rush skills and efforts, I wasn't always confident he's be stout against the run. He reminded me a lot of Kam Wimbley in that sense; but he's young enough to where that could change at the snap of football.

Believe it or not, the way Pettine likes to use his Safeties made the ergonomics of Gipson's position much easier in 2014. That's a big reason we still had success there after he was injured.

Good to hear about Schwartz. If we're going to remain in a zbs (the scheme at Cal) that originally made him as attractive as round 2 here - he's at home base comfort level. As good as Orlando Brown could get in run blocking vrs fronts like Philly and Dallas the last time we won 11 regular season games - his pass protection needed work. This is similar where Schwartz is a good run blocker but working on improving the consistency of his pass protection. Inexperience at QB here hasn't always helped Schwartz looked reliable despite how unfair that can be. Erving at RG after being drafted in round 1? Is there a better way to light Greco's fanny after putting in his best season? I wonder if Erving can be as efficient at OG as he seemed to be at Center and Tackle. The NFL has girthy DTs like Suh, Ngata, Dareus and Jurrell Casey that are going to challenge his leverage more so than taller athletic DEs did when he played LT or ACC NTs seemed to when he played Center. It'll be interesting to see what he has because our 2 line coaches had a lot of say in the narrowing down of line prospects so their opinions clearly trump mine here.

YOWSA - Thanks for goodies Tour! Hope you don't mind - here's a few piggybacks.

One of the many videos I saw about Shelton talked about how unique he was at breaking down film and seeing vulnerabilities that didn't always jump out at teammates. On top of that, I heard he was an academic stud. Sounds like he can be the defensive version of Alex Mack right in the center of the line. As outrageous as this sounds - a prerequisite to playing intelligent football is that very underrated vision intangible even scouts lose sight of sometimes. I think a lot of us have seen some really exciting film of Shelton. I remember you pointed out how frequently takes great angles when he's tackling people with good foot speed. He also seems to know opponents that like to cutback so there's times he's in perfect position to shut a play down while many of his teammates have overpursued. A 1st step instinct on game day can come right out of the film room. For example, think about how many times you saw a guy like Teddy Bruschi beating much better foot speeds to the football in his hook zone for an INT in playoff/big games. Shelton may never be a role model for the 40 yard dash. That said, his vision, intelligence, 1st step instinct and power are more than welcome in a world where the average play lasts about 3-4 seconds.

Exactly Tom. 40 yard dash times don't mean diddly for defensive linemen. What's their 10 yard time and 3 cone drill. There's a legion of guys who had lousy 40 times but made up for it by great instincts.

Exactly Tom. 40 yard dash times don't mean diddly for defensive linemen. What's their 10 yard time and 3 cone drill. There's a legion of guys who had lousy 40 times but made up for it by great instincts.

they should create a 1 or 2 step whammo time for linemen.....start from a playing stance - release - step - and wham into the sled...clock stops on impact.....

Bet that would be the new #1 stat....

Put an Accelerometer on that sled and it sounds like a Sports Science segment... ;) ...

Seriously phone it in... they need a good one.

It's been all downhill since "clay pigeons".

40 yard dash times don't mean diddly for defensive linemen. What's their 10 yard time and 3 cone drill. There's a legion of guys who had lousy 40 times but made up for it by great instincts.

Or as one talking head put it on draft day, "If my NT has to run 40 yards, then I have bigger problems than how fast he runs it."

Supposedly the 10-yd split along with the Vertical and Broad jumps allow explosiveness to be inferred, but track technique's impact on the 10 and Broad is pronounced. Vertical isn't pure, but purer, and if you want to look for a sign of Shelton's explosiveness, that's where you find it.

But why infer... bring on the sled..

they should create a 1 or 2 step whammo time for linemen.....start from a playing stance - release - step - and wham into the sled...clock stops on impact.....

There's a machine out there that records this.

Time - and force of impact!

Some good stuff from Karlos:

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/6/26/8855299/browns-lb-karlos-dansby-offense-is-explosive

"Few can judge the Browns' offense as accurately as the men on defense who frequently come face-to-face with the unit in practice.
One credible member of the Browns' defense, Karlos Dansby, spoke with "The SiriusXM Blitz" on SiriusXM NFL Radio about the new offense under offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, among other topics.
While the Browns' defense is loaded with talent, few pundits speak as highly of the team's offense. However, from talking to Dansby, you wouldn't think this is the case.
Marvez begins by asking Dansby about the offense's progression, particularly in regards to the newcomers. Dansby's response was interesting:
"Amazing. Explosive offense. They're doing a lot of moving around. They're trying to get us outleveraged and making plays. Josh [McCown] is getting down the field and is accurate on a lot of throws. He's putting it into tight windows. They're making a lot of plays on the other side of the ball. We had a lot of great competition, so we were competing everyday. We look forward to it every day."
Hopefully Dansby meant "explosive" in a positive sense. Browns fans have seen how veteran quarterbacks have helped to cultivate an "explosive," or should I say, "implosive," offensive attack in years past.
The conversation then turned to Johnny Manziel and Justin Gilbert, two players who have failed to live up to the hype early on in their NFL careers. All is not lost with these two, but time isn't on their side.
Dansby doesn't seem concerned about the two former first round picks.
"They look good. Both of them are competing at a high level. Johnny is going through his reads, he's trying to make the second and third reads. He's just developing. Justin Gilbert is doing the same, he's playing with great technique right now, he's trusting his technique. He's making plays: he had a couple of interceptions, a couple of batted down passes. He's just getting his confidence, growing into a professional athlete. It takes time. You have the rare ones who come in and 'Boom,' it's their moment. But with some guys, it takes time."
Marvez then asked a followup question about Manziel, inquiring if the quarterback formerly known as "Johnny Football" has changed off-the-field. Dansby danced around the question.
"In the locker room, he's Johnny. He's one of the guys. He's going to joke, chill out with the fellas, laugh, have a good time. That's just what Johnny does as he leaves the locker room. We were so focused and we were under a time crunch so we really didn't have time to hang out like that on a daily basis because we were so focused on trying to get better."
The hosts switched gears in the last third of the interview, asking for Dansby's thoughts on "Deflategate." Not long ago, Dansby had harsh words for Tom Brady and the Patriots, calling for a one year suspension for the star quarterback. Dansby didn't back away from his stance when questioned.
"If you're going to try to attack the integrity of the game, you have to be punished. For the guys who attacked the integrity of the game down in New Orleans, they all got a year, just about. Some of those guys had to fight just to get back in. That's just part of the process. That's how I view it. The coach got a whole year: nobody went to his defense. Everybody viewed him as attacking the integrity of the game, right? That's on the same level. It's neither here nor there for me, I don't care: this isn't my team, it's not my [teammate]. It is what it is."
Taken as a whole, Dansby's interview contained some interesting takes. Say what you want about the veteran 'backer, but Dansby is always good for a good quote or two."

Not starting a new thread, so putting this here :

The AFC North is the Best Division in Football

By Nathan Beaucage @poespost on Jun 28, 2015, 8:52a 3

Many pundits think the NFC West is the best of them all, but they aren't right.

"The NFC West is the toughest division in football". Is what many pundits and analysts have seemed to say over the past few years, yet they're wrong. While the West offers young quarterbacks, and trendy offenses, the AFC North is the greatest division in football, and it's about time we get some respect. Here are my reasons why the AFC North is the best.

Competitiveness

"We’re all competitors," Pettine says, "so I don’t want to say you’re being fake in pregame, but you look a guy in the eye, shake his hand, ask him about his family, and in your mind you’re going, I’m gonna beat your brains in." - Mike Pettine,
HC

"The (insert AFC North team) versus (insert AFC North team) is one of the most storied rivalries in the NFL" seems to be a line mentioned in every single pregame for inter-divisional matchups, and it's true. I think the teams genuinely dislike each other, and so do their respective fan bases. I'll be honest with you, it's a little enjoyable arguing with my fellow AFC North fans every year. It's a pastime, a ritual, if you will. For eight weeks a year, I get to duke it out with fellow fans leading up to the games, and it's glorious.

"When we play the
in Baltimore, it’s a completely different experience than the rest of the NFL." -
DE

While fans can talk all the smack they want in the leadup to a game, they truly have no idea which team will win. In this division, anything can happen on any given Sunday. The traditional 'laughingstock' of the league, the Browns, can easily topple the so-called 'powerhouses', the Steelers and Ravens. The Browns defeated the Steelers 31-10 last year, and narrowly lost to the Ravens twice. There are no favorites to win in the AFC North, as anything can happen. The teams are so good that the AFC North was the only division in 2014 that produced three playoff teams, the Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals. While the Browns came very close to making the playoffs, and had their best season in years.

The teams are all so evenly matched that they will seem to do anything to gain a tactical advantage over one another. NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former Ravens and Browns scout offers a unique perspective, "It’s gotten to the point in that division where you’re afraid to cut a guy, especially a quarterback, the week before you play a team for fear the other team might sign him." "Coaches will bring in a guy the week of a game to learn the audibles and signals, so you end up holding onto a player you might have cut during a division game week and that practice squad player you wanted to elevate just has to wait."

This makes guys like Bengals RB Cedric Peerman, and Steelers QB Bruce Gradkowski valuable within the division, as they have each been with three different AFC North teams. Inter-divisional transactions, like Terelle Pryor moving from the Bengals to the Browns, can be pretty common, and potentially offer the other team a leg up on the competition.

The Defense

"it’s physical, it’s hard-hitting." -
, Browns CB on AFC North football

Watching an AFC North game is like a 'blast to the past', when defense reigned supreme, and in the opinion of some, football was just better back then. Nothing is more thrilling to me then seeing two elite defenses battle on the gridiron for three hours. I'm always amazed by some of the plays and formations drawn up by the defensive masterminds of this division, and can't help but admire great defensive play, even if it isn't by my own team. If you like defense, then the AFC North is for you. We might not have 'top-tier' quarterbacks, or high-flying offenses, but we have damn good defenses.

You also can't help but love the hard-hitting nature of the defenders. Intensity + Hatred of Rivals + Good Defense = Insane Hits.

VtSl3Sp.0.gif

The NFC West can have their option plays and exciting offenses, but I'll take this over that anytime.

Coaches

You also have to admire the coaches, and front office staff that assemble these winning teams, and make sure they continue to win.

The AFC North is the only division with two Super Bowl winning head coaches, John Harbaugh (Ravens) and Mike Tomlin (Steelers). The other two coaches, Marvin Lewis of the Bengals, and Mike Pettine of the Browns, have each had successful tenures with their respective teams too. Lewis, has led his Bengals to the playoffs six times in twelve seasons, and Pettine, who was a first-year NFL Head Coach, led the Browns to a 7-9 record, their best in years. Not to mention, the coordinators of the division are superb, and are routinely poached for higher-profile jobs. The AFC North easily has one of the best group of coaches in the league.

"I think it’s the best division in football," "Hopefully we’ll get out there and prove that." - Mike Pettine, Browns HC

Because the AFC North doesn't have flashy players, or exciting offenses, they're not exactly a media favorite. The teams don't spend a lot on superstars, and are smart with their money in general, spending most of their money on dynamic pass rushers. This is certainly a good strategy, as represented by the division's three representatives in the playoffs. The AFC North teams are belligerent, smart, and can exploit weaknesses with their great players and coaches. All key traits in the makeup of a winning NFL team.

While the words I've typed today are rather useless, and don't prove which division is 'the best', we will certainly find out this season, as the AFC North has been scheduled to play the NFC West this year. These games are primed to be great showdowns, as the West and the North matchup well. It will certainly be exciting to see guys like Kaepernick and Wilson face off against some of the best defenses they'll see all year. The West is solid from top-to-bottom, and presents a difficult challenge. But don't get me wrong, the AFC North is the best division in football, and we'll see that on the field this season.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2015/6/28/8851871/the-afc-north-is-the-best-division-in-football

There's actually a few more clips of good hits that didn't copy over for some reason.

Finding it real difficult to be excited about this Season, this is about the best I've got right now . . .

Finding it real difficult to be excited about this Season, this is about the best I've got right now . . .

Nice article.....but wow......This is best team weve had in 30 years.....

It seems like you always see gloom and doom, even with all the solid players and growth this team is showing.....maybe its just time for you to move on past the Browns?.....

Honestly.....not trying to be a dick(at all).....but how can you NOT be optimistic about this team?.....

Not easy to be excited about this team?

After this LAST DRAFT?

Just the draft alone, and the impact it will have on

a growing and more talented Browns team, is plenty enough

for me to see a whole new attitude, and a whole new talent level

across the board.

The Browns are ready to hit the ground running and kicking ass !

Defense should be good.

Unproven OC is a bit of a question mark (minor reboot).

QB . . .

Ya know, I wouldn't be surprised to see McCown get us to the Playoffs, but at 36/37 he's about finished . . . not much tread left on the tire.

Hate to say it, but if McCown does give a good Season, it doesn't help us long term.

Manziel sounds like he's making some headway, but I never really thought he was the answer, and I still don't.

The Draft was pretty good.

Maybe a slight reach in the 1st Round, but our past history of 1st Rounders has been a shambles, and we filled needs, so this is a big improvement.

A bit surprised to see us pick up another RB, but probably the BPA at the time so I can't complain.

Yeah, if had to nail to one area that unexcites me it's the QB position.

We have upgraded every single facet of this Team AGAIN...onward & upward we go!!!

Draft, free agency, experience, continuity in Coaching & F/O.

How can you NOT be positive?

Mike

Maybe a slight reach in the 1st Round, but our past history of 1st Rounders has been a shambles, and we filled needs, so this is a big improvement.

yes pre-farmer. too early to tell with his first round picks.

We have upgraded every single facet of this Team AGAIN...onward & upward we go!!!

Draft, free agency, experience, continuity in Coaching & F/O.

How can you NOT be positive?

Mike

See QB points above.

McCown just doesn't excite me.

Do I think the Team is better?

Absolutely . . . but QB looks to be an issue still for a few more years (or even longer).

See QB points above.

Absolutely . . . but QB looks to be an issue still for a few more years (or even longer).

QB...

McCown...Has a stronger arm than Hoyer, WILL & IS helping to mentor younger QBs & will be playing behind the best OL he has ever had.

Manziel.....Is, according to all reports from Coaches & Teammates, progressing nicely with a much improved attitude & resolve.

Shaw........Has some decent game experience from last year & a great attitude.

All will benefit from a deeper offensive line & receiving corps.

The QB situation, while not yet resolved, is far better off than it was this time last year.

Yes, I AM an optimist!!

Mike

I am expecting a Trent Dilfer like performance from McCown, and hoping for a great D and running game. If just 2 of those things happen, they will be competitive and in every game......... If all 3 happen, they'll be playing in late January / early February.

I am expecting a Trent Dilfer like performance from McCown, and hoping for a great D and running game. If just 2 of those things happen, they will be competitive and in every game......... If all 3 happen, they'll be playing in late January / early February.

Trent Dilfer was just awful. I hope the Browns are able to McCown like that because that means we'd have a historic defense.

See QB points above.

You can't fix YEARS of boneheaded drafting and FA's in 2 years. Pretty damn close though. Farmer and staff must be commented on what our paper roster looks like for now and Manziel was their miss for now and JF manned up and put the blame on himself where it belongs Imo. Have a Snickers and take a look at the Top Ten QB's coming out next season (or even longer, won't happen) If this paper roster PREFORMS as a full 53 man Unit the non patient wait could be over. Go Browns!! JAFBF-- With what you saw in JF at A&M did you really see him being this bad in the NFL?? may really be the problem your speaking of..

At this time last year, I was pretty pumped that we had really improved the team and expected a better than 4-12 outcome.....lots of people were still saying we would be terrible.....THEN we came out swinging and, before you knew it, we were 6-3 and in good position....but then we were slammed with the injury bug and then our inexperienced QB lost his confidence(and game).....

Still......with an injury ravaged team and no QB, we found our way to a 7-9 season, which was a huge step forward from where we had been.....

Fast forward to today.....add 12 new rookies, several of which are worthy of excitement......add free agent acquisitions of 2 veteran WR's, a veteran DL, a veteran CB and a 13 year veteran QB and all I see is "LOTS more talent and improvement" ....

And, if we stay healthy, I see McCown as a much more stable....experienced.....capable.....and confident QB than Hoyer ever was. He may not be a star, but I dont think he'll get rattled or suddenly forget how to play 1/2 way through the season either....

And a tough upgraded defense....quality running game.....more than efficient receivers....and healthy D and O lines all add up to MORE WINS!......9-7?....10-6?.......11-5?....who knows, but we will be better this year.....no doubt....

And if a Super Bowl victory is the ONLY way you can enjoy this positive growth, then thats a shame......Ill call you when we're there.......if Im not too busy cheering!

Archived