THE BROWNS BOARD

Next man up....!

Manzier

It's been a long season. Lots of injuries and ups and downs. This years mantra has been:

"NEXT MAN UP"......all year.

Lets have a look, shall we?

Mack went down and Greco stepped into his spot...mid game....with ZERO reps, and played GREAT!!!

The next couple of centers have failed miserably. And we've pointed that outt. And no ones gotten upset or cared, because its true.

Dansby went down and Kirksey & Robertson have stepped right in and played inspired football

Last week, we lost Haden AND Skrine, so the rookies Gilbert and Desir stepped into one of the hardest positions and owned it against great receivers in Sanu and Green. Holy crap...Desir has been on the practice squad all year and still stepped right in and played well.

Gipson was one of the top safeties in the league when he went down, yet Leonard stepped in and got 2 int's his first game as a starter

I remember Crowell getting zero reps in preseason....then getting tossed into the last game with a bunch of scrubs(4th string o line, etc) and ripping ass on the Bears....basically, he owned his one opportunity...

Cameron went down early too. And both Dray and Barnidge did a stand up job in his place.

Outside of injuries, lets look at quality of play, shall we?

Tate got cut because of poor play and the ROOKIE RB's have stepped in and played fine. IN FACT, it was their great play as rookies, that prompted the team to cut Tate. His attitude helped, but he'd still be here if the other 2 didn't look ready...bottom line.

Benji got sat down because of his fumbles and Leonard stepped in to catch the ball. He's not a returner, but somehow manages to make the catches. Was that fair to him?

They tried to play Gilbert, but he was also sat down because he looked bad. Did he look bad because the coaches put him in too soon or because he just wasn't prepared and didn't play well?

So....here is a long list of rookies and players who have stepped up when asked.....almost all of them, at least, have held their own.....NONE of them had first team reps, time to prepare, advance notice they were playing or a legion of fans to support them...

So, does NEXT MAN UP not apply to QB?

And if not, why was JFF the back up? Maybe we had the wrong guy in the #2 position all along.

If JFF wasn't gonna be ready to come in when needed, then should it have been Grossman instead?

Meh of course it's the same. QB needs a bit more consistency though (not that every rotation doesn't need consistency, but you can't change QBs every game unless you're Lovie Smith or jay gruden)

There was never any question about manziel being #2. Grossman isn't even on the team is he?

Losing an experienced Miles Austin really hurt more than anyone has recognized so far. Most of the rest do not seem to realize the importance of coming back towards the QB to keep the ball from being picked off.

Yep. He was our 3rd down goto man.

I think it got swept under the rug with JG's return. A perfectly timed switcharoo

Meh of course it's the same. QB needs a bit more consistency though (not that every rotation doesn't need consistency, but you can't change QBs every game unless you're Lovie Smith or jay gruden)

There was never any question about manziel being #2. Grossman isn't even on the team is he?

Right. We both know you cant change em up like a revolving door and we didnt.

Im saying IF you're the back up then it's your job to go when your told to go. And, if for some reason you cant "because it will hurt your development", then you shouldn't be the back up. period.

Almost every single position on the field has seen a back up step in and play this year for injured and benched players. No problems. No ones screaming its too soon for them? or they played bad because they were thrown in unprepared? or because the other players made them bad...

Just the QB. Where, apparently, we dont deserve the benefit of having a back up who can just step in and play when we need him.

And if we do actually "use" our back up, then the coach is mishandling him and stunting his development.

Right. We both know you cant change em up like a revolving door and we didnt.

Im saying IF you're the back up then it's your job to go when your told to go. And, if for some reason you cant "because it will hurt your development", then you shouldn't be the back up. period.

Almost every single position on the field has seen a back up step in and play this year for injured and benched players. No problems. No ones screaming its too soon for them? or they played bad because they were thrown in unprepared? or because the other players made them bad...

Just the QB. Where, apparently, we dont deserve the benefit of having a back up who can just step in and play when we need him.

And if we do actually "use" our back up, then the coach is mishandling him and stunting his development.

Had we put manziel in against Indy and he laid that kinda failure down maybe he would a been held more accountable. Since we're all but in contention now they're more in evaluation/experience mode I think.

As I said in another thread, if manziel lays another worst-in-history type of performance I expect Hoyer in week 17. But I don't think just regular bad will get him benched against Baltimore, has to be a special kinda bad.

Hoyers the guy we gotta make a decision on and possibly negotiate with anyway, Shaw and manziel are ours for a bit longer...plenty of time to ruin both their careers.

Hell, maybe the FO already made up their minds about Hoyer to not make much of an attempt to keep him (offer him a bag of peanuts or something). Then again maybe they do wanna keep him and don't want him to bump his value. Lawd knows, I hope johnny lights it up this week anyway.

Losing an experienced Miles Austin really hurt more than anyone has recognized so far. Most of the rest do not seem to realize the importance of coming back towards the QB to keep the ball from being picked off.

Yup... Hoyer really missed Miles... :P

I was reflecting on this last nite after wrapping up my review of the Colts game.

Is Payton back up a free agent next year? Liked him coming out. Think his rookie contact might be up soon. he is big with an arm and smarts. Brock something

Osweiler

Brock Osweiler was drafted in 2012. Not sure what his contract status is.

He is 6'8" and 240 lbs

Almost 25% bigger then Johnny :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brock Osweiler was drafted in 2012. Not sure what his contract status is.

He is 6'8" and 240 lbs

Almost 25% bigger then Johnny :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

He's a UFA after next season.

Denver really likes him from what I've seen, having constant camp Manning since being a rookie has had to have been good for him. His biggest weakness when he came out was decision making, more or less consistency, I think.

Be real though. When Osweiler is a FA manning will be celebrating his 40th birthday. He's Denver's future, they aren't going to let him go.

He's a UFA after next season.

Denver really likes him from what I've seen, having constant camp Manning since being a rookie has had to have been good for him. His biggest weakness when he came out was decision making, I think.

Be real though. When Osweiler is a FA manning will be celebrating his 40th birthday. He's Denver's future, they aren't going to let him go.

Hoyer learned under Brady and Bill.

He isn't anywhere close to them

Hoyer learned under Brady and Bill.

He isn't anywhere close to them

Yea obviously being the backup to a HOF QB for a few years doesn't make you a HOF QB, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Besides, we'd be 12-2 right now if we could just figure out how to play the coin toss. QB is the least of our worries.

Yea obviously being the backup to a HOF QB for a few years doesn't make you a HOF QB, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Besides, we'd be 12-2 right now if we could just figure out how to play the coin toss. QB is the least of our worries.

Don't get me started on the difer crap

Archived