THE BROWNS BOARD

MasterDog

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if Manziel shits himself the last 2 weeks that we will make an attempt to sign Hoyer. But if Manziel looks as bad as he just looked last week again this week, why the hell not. Let's see what Shaw has got.

Resigning Hoyer isn't an option. I think he's gone unless there's an under the table agreement to hand him the starting job for 2015.

Resigning Hoyer isn't an option. I think he's gone unless there's an under the table agreement to hand him the starting job for 2015.

Do we want that agreement??

I think we are in trouble at the QB spot for a while.

You gave up after one game. I have been a Browns fan since I was a child in the 60's. Football hasn't changed, only the fan base. It takes a little time to develop a player. As you can see, Justin Gilbert is starting to click on defense. You cannot judge hastily or else you will never be satisfied. The Front Office will draft players this coming April that will compliment our style of offense and defense. The Browns will win the division next year. I guarantee it. The "doubting Thomases" and the haters are fair weathered and should move down here to Tampa. The weather is nice and Raymond James Stadium is always filled with people rooting for the opponent.

You gave up after one game. I have been a Browns fan since I was a child in the 60's. Football hasn't changed, only the fan base. It takes a little time to develop a player. As you can see, Justin Gilbert is starting to click on defense. You cannot judge hastily or else you will never be satisfied. The Front Office will draft players this coming April that will compliment our style of offense and defense. The Browns will win the division next year. I guarantee it. The "doubting Thomases" and the haters are fair weathered and should move down here to Tampa. The weather is nice and Raymond James Stadium is always filled with people rooting for the opponent.

I think a lot of us gave up on him when the browns picked him.

Do I want the Browns to win? Hell yeah. Do I think it can be done with Manziel? No and i don't mind expressing that opinion. I think he's a little punk and I don't like him. Doesn't mean my opinion won't or can't change. I just don't think he has the skills to make a good NFL qb. I don't want a team that has to be built around special abilities becuase it all falls apart when a team is built around someone who can't be replaced.

There won't be any starting guarantees, just open camp guarantee, which if Manziel shits the bed the last 2 he'd probably feel better about.

I don't think any team is going to guarantee him a starting gig, just the same your job to take thing we can give him.

Houston probably his best bet, I can imagine O'Brien lobbying for either Hoyer or Mallet.

And Connor Shaw won't get the start this year unless both Hoyer and Manziel go down. Just can't see it.

it would be nice to see the Browns stick with 1 QB for more than 2 seasons. Let Manziel finish this season at least, once Pettine made the switch he can't go back to Hoyer. Whoever does better in training camp, whether it's Shaw or Manziel (assuming Hoyer signs somewhere else) let them stick it out for a while before hitting the reset button yet again.

We'd have to hear more about Shaw's progress from the staff. We don't know where he is.

He's athletic,smart and rocked SC, but dink and dunk stuff, average arm, etc. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB, but there's a lot to develop which is why he went undrafted.

I have to say if Manziel shits the bed in an absolutely incredible fashion on Sunday (and I mean incredible, as in worse than bad - Daltonesque against us in game 1) then we'll probably go back to Hoyer week 17 over Shaw.

Hoyer is a guy we need to make a decision on in the off season, we still have Johnny and Shaw regardless. No reason to tryout another guy in week 17.

But again, I think we're fully committed to Johnny to finish these last 2 unless he gets hurt or shits the bed in an absolutely incredible fashion Sunday (which I don't expect, Panthers are a middle of the road defense) - then it's Brian not Shaw.

Let's groom Connor the old fashioned way, maybe it works out (I do remember his hail Mary TD in the pre season :-P).

I think Shaws potential ceiling is Alex Smith, athletic, smart, non-gunslinger). Maybe even a more athletic Brian. But he ain't there yet let's chill out peeps.

And Connor Shaw won't get the start this year unless both Hoyer and Manziel go down. Just can't see it.

I cant see him playing this year either. We have to let JFF work through some adjustments and see how he responds.

I will say that IF it had been Shaw who started this past week and he played the exact same game that JFF did, then no one would dispute that he wasn't ready and looked absolutely terrible. Most would just say to put him back on the shelf.

He did get that one shot in preseason(right after JFF laid an egg) and he looked pretty good. Same game & players as JFF, but a much better performance. ....8-9 comp for a 155 rating, btw.

And hoyer stepped in cold last season and led a really bad team to 2 victories. Thats what back ups are supposed to do.

In the end, a lot of back up players find a way to seize the moment....others dont.

Ill be patient as long as I see something that says "professional QB".....to this point, I haven't seen anything like that.

I cant see him playing this year either. We have to let JFF work through some adjustments and see how he responds.

I will say that IF it had been Shaw who started this past week and he played the exact same game that JFF did, then no one would dispute that he wasn't ready and looked absolutely terrible. Most would just say to put him back on the shelf.

He did get that one shot in preseason(right after JFF laid an egg) and he looked pretty good. Same game & players as JFF, but a much better performance. ....8-9 comp for a 155 rating, btw.

And hoyer stepped in cold last season and led a really bad team to 2 victories. Thats what back ups are supposed to do.

In the end, a lot of back up players find a way to seize the moment....others dont.

Ill be patient as long as I see something that says "professional QB".....to this point, I haven't seen anything like that.

I appended my post to say I could see his top ceiling being Alex Smith like. Or a more athletic Brian Hoyer. Seems about right to me. Smart, quick, average arm. He should get a bit more time to develop.

Funny I looked up an old draft profile of Hoyer and it said a lot of what we've seen :-P. Inconsistent, foot work issues. I think he may have improved the foot work issues but regressed to old habits for whatever reason. Playing more scared since Mack went down maybe.

We'd have to hear more about Shaw's progress from the staff. We don't know where he is.

He's athletic,smart and rocked SC, but dink and dunk stuff, average arm, etc. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB, but there's a lot to develop which is why he went undrafted.

First, given that "the Staff said JM was "ready" do we really need their opinion to form ours?

Second, Dink and dunk sounds very West-Coastish to me, but I remember at least one pre-season, Shaw bomb. Hail Mary, maybe.

I don't see why not. I certainly would not dismiss giving Shaw a look out of hand. Only thing is that I believe it would take a roster move to activate Shaw.

Funny I looked up an old draft profile of Hoyer and it said a lot of what we've seen :-P. Inconsistent, foot work issues. I think he may have improved the foot work issues but regressed to old habits for whatever reason. Playing more scared since Mack went down maybe.

Interesting angle...

I think reversion to old habits, to old "form" is almost always pressure induced. Hoyer held form after Mack went down for a while. As I remember events (not all that trustworthy) Brian started having more issues after the whole "BH won't stay, if JM is here" report. And there was even more "stuff" after that.

When?

This Sunday? No.

Week 17? Maybe.

It would really really surprise me. A lot

No matter how JFF plays.

Imagine what it says if they pulled Johnny after 2 games? Would they risk all that hooplah and craziness for a one game peek at Shaw? You think? Really?

Archived