THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie's take

Westside Steve

Charlie Manziel will only succeed if this team is built around his abilities. That's not going to happen by Sunday.

Exactly the wrong thought process. Build your team around a qb who has "special/ubique" abilities and when he gets injured you're screwed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yes Bernie played in the NFL many years ago and no he has absolutely no clue what's going on in the front office or locker room today.

Ditto for Timmy... Other than an Admin Asst. here and there, how many Berea employees have been there for 15 years?

Interesting. I have been scratching my head since Sunday wondering how the Browns staff could have gotten it so wrong. Clearly Sunday was NOT the time to put in a player who was in over his head. How could they have thought that he was ready? How could they have been so impatient now, when all teams are in playoff mode, to throw him to the wolves when they had been so patiently bringing him along to learn how to be a pro QB? Maybe what Bernie says has more merit than just first glance. It's far easier to just denigrate another Browns QB because it has now become "tradition". It's been obvious on this board from the moment he was drafted that he was getting the usual "Browns" welcome to the NFL, the place the rest of the nation jokingly refers to as the city where QB's come to die. Either properly let him grow into the position or trade him to someone like Dallas or Green Bay who will.

JFF has justifiably had to eat a plate full of humble pie this week. How about the staff give him a break and not make him eat two more plates full before making a premature decision for his long term future? And I agree with Bernie, it's far easier just to write off another QB rather than to look within to see what is wrong with a system that has eaten up 21 and counting since return to Cleveland.

George Santayana. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain – 26 September 1952 in Rome, Italy) was a philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

I am sure I will get flamed plenty for this but I do not believe that anyone on the coaching staff made the decision to start Manziel. I believe that all of the players on the team know that as well. They practice with him everyday, they see both his performance on and off the field and I think both the coaches and his team mates knew he was not ready. I believe the call was made from the very top and it was executed grudgingly by the coaching staff and was perceived by the team as throwing in the towel. Unlike tacomeat who posts like he knows things to be fact I readily admit this is speculation on my part. I do think if you read between the lines here and there its not hard to reach this conclusion however.

Well I'm not sure Bob. I mean seriously bernie is broke and drunk half the time. I have to wonder if he isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it. Sure we need to get lucky in the draft but unless somebody specifically tells me what's wrong with the front office every couple years it doesn't seem like they have anything substantial to say. Just bitching doesn't sound like a blueprint for success.

WSS

not sure who is calling the shots with this organization...although hoyer was going downhill, he seemed to go downhill when we lost our running game due to the mack injury...hoyers best games was when he could playaction. now defenses no we have no running game so playaction is useless now...not saying hoyer would have had a great game against the bengals, but putting this kid on the field now is crazy. i don't think jimmy hasbeen is a good owner at all.. i know i don't trust the dude...

When do the successful teams bring them in. That si the real question........ Instead we go back to the old tried and true blame the QB Browns method of hang the strawman.

Excuse me, but EVERY team in the league should have the option of playing their back ups, whether the starter is playing poorly or gets hurt.

Thats why we have back ups in the first place. Hoyer was playing terrible and we needed to win now. We gave him several games to improve and he didn't. Its EXPECTED that we go to the next man and try to salvage the playoff run. Not unfair.

If we can't play our back up because it's not fair to him, then what is it to the team that needs a back up QB now?

So, it's "unfair" to Johnny to put him in because he's not played yet or only has 15 weeks of practice.

But it's NOT unfair to the team(and fans) to keep him on the bench when we need a backup???

What would a successful team do if their quarterback suddenly lost it and laid 4 to 5 eggs in a row?

Archived