THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie's take

Westside Steve

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=cleveland-browns&id=10615

Tim Couch agrees with Bernie.

Unlike some others, I don't think Couch had what it took to be more than average. Maybe he could a had a pro bowl year on a great team and some good flashes.

No doubt the pummeling he took week after week pretty much ended his career though, which probably could a been decent.

Let's such up the hatas by whooping Carolina and Baltimore.

Gotta agree with them. I'm tired of the same shit qb and coach carousel. Like they said, a qb isn't goibg to play lights out every game. I would agree that the mounting pressure got to hoyer.

Pettine should have just stated hoyer was the qb and keep john boy on the bench where he belongs.

The laughing on the bench pisses me off and shows that the culture still isn't right in Cleveland. Tom Brady might be a bitch, but he gets fucking pisses off when losing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I have been scratching my head since Sunday wondering how the Browns staff could have gotten it so wrong. Clearly Sunday was NOT the time to put in a player who was in over his head. How could they have thought that he was ready? How could they have been so impatient now, when all teams are in playoff mode, to throw him to the wolves when they had been so patiently bringing him along to learn how to be a pro QB? Maybe what Bernie says has more merit than just first glance. It's far easier to just denigrate another Browns QB because it has now become "tradition". It's been obvious on this board from the moment he was drafted that he was getting the usual "Browns" welcome to the NFL, the place the rest of the nation jokingly refers to as the city where QB's come to die. Either properly let him grow into the position or trade him to someone like Dallas or Green Bay who will.

JFF has justifiably had to eat a plate full of humble pie this week. How about the staff give him a break and not make him eat two more plates full before making a premature decision for his long term future? And I agree with Bernie, it's far easier just to write off another QB rather than to look within to see what is wrong with a system that has eaten up 21 and counting since return to Cleveland.

George Santayana. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain – 26 September 1952 in Rome, Italy) was a philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

You had to post it again?

Bernie has no inside information on how the browns are run. He's bitter he isn't a part of the organization.

Love him or not, his take is based on bias and no real information or experience.

The man was an elite NFL quarterback for many years and played for two organizations that were successful, and we're to dismiss his observations? "No real information or experience?" OK, what "real information and experience" in the NFL do YOU have?

Interesting. I have been scratching my head since Sunday wondering how the Browns staff could have gotten it so wrong. Clearly Sunday was NOT the time to put in a player who was in over his head. How could they have thought that he was? How could they have been so impatient now, when all teams are in playoff mode, to throw him to the wolves when they had been so patiently bringing him along to learn how to be a pro QB? Maybe what Bernie says has more merit that just first glance. It's far easier to just denigrate another Browns QB because it has now become "tradition". It's been obvious on this board from the moment he was drafted that he was getting the usual "Browns" welcome to the NFL, the place the rest of the nation jokingly refers to the city where QB's come to die. Either properly let him grow into the position or trade him to someone like Dallas or Green Bay who will.

JFF has justifiably had to eat a plate full of humble pie this week. How about the staff give him a break and not make him eat two more plates full before making a premature decision for his long term future?

Bingo! And even three games isn't enough. Why the chronic impatience in Browns Town? No team goes from mediocre to the top in a few weeks.

It shows that either Pettine was told by Jimmy to put in JFF or that he is not an intelligent coach. I agree putting in JFF now was idiotic. Especially with playoffs still a possibility. I have a feeling there was a strong suggestion from Jimmy to put in JFF.

It shows that either Pettine was told by Jimmy to put in JFF or that he is not an intelligent coach. I agree putting in JFF now was idiotic. Especially with playoffs still a possibility. I have a feeling there was a strong suggestion from Jimmy to put in JFF.

I'm sure you're right. It's like a firing squad - 5 guns, 3 blanks, no one's guilty.

The man was an elite NFL quarterback for many years and played for two organizations that were successful, and we're to dismiss his observations? "No real information or experience?" OK, what "real information and experience" in the NFL do YOU have?

His observations are about just as informed as yours are...or mine.

His observations are about just as informed as yours are...or mine.

If you believe that then you need to primp in front of a mirror a little more. I for one think his observations deserve a lot more merit that any armchair quarterback, you and me included. At least he walked the walk and should be given due respect for that alone.

Well I think the Cincinnati Bengals were pissed off and playing over their heads even though they are a darn good team. They wanted to stick it to the Cleveland Browns for embarrassing them in their own house and would have done this to Brian Hoyer or Joe Montana.

And yes Bernie played in the NFL many years ago and no he has absolutely no clue what's going on in the front office or locker room today.

WSS

how many people who are spouting nonsense now about it was too early to put in manziel said earlier in the year "wait til hoyer fucks up cuz johnny IS going to play this year!" even all the pundits said as we all knew that the FO wanted to see at some point what manziel had AND THAT AIN'T IN PRACTICE.

get over it, the kid blew chunks. maybe this sunday he won't. who knows. but if you don't think this is a 3 game audition for what happens next year, you're all kidding yourself.

Well no matter who you hate or who you love its a bad time for an audition.

Without much hope of a playoff berth it always seems the players with cuts and bruises just take off the rest of the season. If coach has them fired up to try and salvage a little respect I will be very impressed with him.

As far as whether or not it was too early I can guarantee you had brian played and had a similar result coach would be getting shit for not pulling the trigger.

WSS

If manziel didn't suck, there isn't even all of this.

Everybody that agreed with switching to manziel is now saying it was a mistake by a dysfunctional organization? Why didn't anybody say that before the switch was made.

If hoyer played and sucked Sunday it would have been the same thing.

Whatever, just get rid of the elf and end all of the nonsense he brought.

Everybody that agreed with switching to manziel is now saying it was a mistake by a dysfunctional organization? Why didn't anybody say that before the switch was made.

>>>because there are a lot of fans and media members that don't know shit from shinola. And that includes me. PS I don't think the switch had jack shit to do with it.<<<

WSS

Interesting. I have been scratching my head since Sunday wondering how the Browns staff could have gotten it so wrong. Clearly Sunday was NOT the time to put in a player who was in over his head. How could they have thought that he was ready? How could they have been so impatient now, when all teams are in playoff mode, to throw him to the wolves when they had been so patiently bringing him along to learn how to be a pro QB? Maybe what Bernie says has more merit than just first glance. It's far easier to just denigrate another Browns QB because it has now become "tradition". It's been obvious on this board from the moment he was drafted that he was getting the usual "Browns" welcome to the NFL, the place the rest of the nation jokingly refers to as the city where QB's come to die. Either properly let him grow into the position or trade him to someone like Dallas or Green Bay who will.

JFF has justifiably had to eat a plate full of humble pie this week. How about the staff give him a break and not make him eat two more plates full before making a premature decision for his long term future? And I agree with Bernie, it's far easier just to write off another QB rather than to look within to see what is wrong with a system that has eaten up 21 and counting since return to Cleveland.

George Santayana. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana (16 December 1863 in Madrid, Spain – 26 September 1952 in Rome, Italy) was a philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

When should they have brought him in? He's had all year to learn the playbook and prepare. By his own admission he did not do so. He had the luxury that most 1st round QBs do not get in this era of the NFL, a generous amount of time to learn.

I rooted for Hoyer to the bitter end (for the time being anyway). I was for the move to JFF after the Indy game.

From the comfort of my living room, I was going with the word from Berea - Johnny is ready. Johnny knows the playbook. Johnny's been a pro. Johnny's been working hard, etc. etc. Ok, I'll believe it. I've got no way to tell otherwise.

Now, if I had thought a week ago, Johnny wasn't ready, didn't know the playbook, was going to be over his head (I could completely understand a few ugly plays and a few poor decisions, but to get what we got Sunday? Whoa, yep, entirely over his head). Now, it's "impatient" and "throwing him to the wolves." Well, shit, no one, no Hoyer fanboy, JFF fanboy, my dad who can recount 1964 as clear as day and wants just one more season like that in his lifetime, whomever, no one wanted that.

It leaves me saying, yep, for the sake of "playing the guy who gives us the best chance to win the game" I guess the coaches, hopefully just the coaches, made the wrong decision. Hopefully the next two Sundays are better and get things at least headed in the right direction. Two, Pettine, seemingly and again from my couch, looked like the last guy who wanted to stick it out with Hoyer and, even presuming JFF would be the leader in the clubhouse to be No. 1 entering 2015, let JFF complete his NFL redshirt year (good for "best chance to win the game" short-term and good for JFF's future long-term), even if letting Hoyer do or die might well have ended up this season 7-9 or 8-8 anyway.

Three, if turning it over to Johnny was "over his head" and "throwing him to the wolves," welp, what was he doing from May-now? Everyone's saying "14 weeks" but, no, his pro, full-time job started in May. At this point, I know about the swan, then I've got what others have said about JFF's practice, professionalism, working hard, etc. Even TMZ shit aside, if the past seven months hasn't made much difference, what gives the franchise confidence about JFF during the next nine months?

Hopefully, JFF and the whole team is better vs. Carolina and Baltimore. A winning record would be cool. Wrecking Baltimore's fucking season in week 17 in their God-forsaken building would endear Johnny to me and a lot of Browns fans for a long time. I can return to giving JFF the optimistic benefit of the doubt. If he starts "wrecking" I'll put an orange and brown swan in my front yard every game day.

When should they have brought him in? He's had all year to learn the playbook and prepare. By his own admission he did not do so. He had the luxury that most 1st round QBs do not get in this era of the NFL, a generous amount of time to learn.

When do the successful teams bring them in. That si the real question. And not one team this year brought in a rookie QB in the heart of the playoff run with only a week prep with the ones, a process that should have been in place long before you bring any QB in unless injury forces your hand. I said when they did it that it was an unfair thing to do to any rookie, but I hoped he could find a way to overcome front a fundamental management mistake. It proved out to be a mistake that most fans do not see for what it is, just that. Instead we go back to the old tried and true blame the QB Browns method of hang the strawman.

When do the successful teams bring them in. That si the real question. And not one team this year brought in a rookie QB in the heart of the playoff run with only a week prep with the ones, a process that should have been in place long before you bring any QB in unless injury forces your hand. I said when they did it that it was an unfair thing to do to any rookie, but I hoped he could find a way to overcome front a fundamental management mistake. It proved out to be a mistake that most fans do not see for what it is, just that. Instead we go back to the old tried and true blame the QB Browns method of hang the strawman.

Exactly.

Course? I don't see any course at all now................

watch Sunday afternoon then...

If they switch back to Hoyer or even Shaw- other than injury to manzelf or because of last Sunday

then you might have a case for dysfunction with the coaching staff?

they must stick with the rookie now.

as far as the "elf" do you mean the sideline mascot?

because you would be an infidel & compared to Art Modell to suggest that the little guy iconic logo be removed.

dont care about the sideline mascot except someone else then would out of a job.

how many people who are spouting nonsense now about it was too early to put in manziel said earlier in the year "wait til hoyer fucks up cuz johnny IS going to play this year!"

I can guarantee you had brian played and had a similar result coach would be getting shit for not pulling the trigger.

exactly.

Mind boggling how people try to deflect his poor play on everybody BUT JFF......it's Pettine, Farmer, Haslam, the O line and the Defense.....not Johnny

Exactly 1 week ago EVERYBODY WANTED JOHNNY.....EVERYBODY!!!!!!!......and now, it was too soon????

Our biggest problem since 99' was Lerner Jr.

Didn't give two shits about the team and that's how personnel decisions trickled all the way down.

OK for Bernie and Tim couch to criticize how the browns have done things since 99' with the revolving door of management, coaches, and quarterbacks. They're perfectly correct in saying so.

Stability has to start somewhere - and it has started here, and I say it started since Haslam brought in Farmer, Pettine, and co. I expect these guys to be here 10+ years, if I'm wrong fook me.

We're back to relevance, even out of the playoffs. Young, talented roster. Solid rookie coaching staff who will get better. I'm all in on this FO and coaching group.

As far as manziel goes, coaches said he was ready (shanahan said he brings excitement, pettine said he's ready any time, manziel says he's ready), NFL analysts say it's time - even given the circumstances of our former playoff run.

The excuse for manziel failing is because he's a bitch who couldn't handle the pressure of being a starter on a team contending for a division title or wild card berth. What a bitch if that's the case, I thought he had a competitive edge and instead he laughs when those bungles shove the money sign in his face.

The excuse for Hoyer failing is because he had the pressure of manziel behind him? What a bitch if that's the case. The savvy smart decision veteran couldn't take having manziel as a backup? Some of his excuses were merited, but he didn't have the same coolness later in the season after he did make some mistakes (they all make some - his Aaron Rodgers turnover streak wasn't gonna last forever, but Brian seemed more and more pressured every game). Anyway, bitch move if that's why he failed during our playoff push.

What a bunch of bitches.

My plan for off season next year:

- Get mack back, beef up the oline add depth get some fast big nasties on the right side

- Add some nastyness on the defensive front. Big, fast, strong dudes on the front lines.

- Find a #1 receiver who isn't a dumbass, or maybe turn Gordon off and on again to see if it fixes the problem.

- Sign Hoyer, say bitch this is your team work hard and whoop some ass

- Tell Manziel to start working or just stay home, tie his ass to the bench or put him at #3 on the depth chart until he decides to buck up

- Go 19-0 next year, beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore by 50 points 3 times each.

/Rant

If Manziel gets a passer rating higher than 70 in these last two, I'll be pretty surprised. Don't expect the dude to go from not belonging to competent NFL starter in 2 weeks.

That's a good point but all I heard was how he was going to come in and light it up. Hoyer is a turd and Johnny is the savior. Now he needs more time to become football jesus?

Our biggest problem since 99' was Lerner Jr.

Didn't give two shits about the team and that's how personnel decisions trickled all the way down.

OK for Bernie and Tim couch to criticize how the browns have done things since 99' with the revolving door of management, coaches, and quarterbacks. They're perfectly correct in saying so.

Stability has to start somewhere - and it has started here, and I say it started since Haslam brought in Farmer, Pettine, and co. I expect these guys to be here 10+ years, if I'm wrong fook me.

We're back to relevance, even out of the playoffs. Young, talented roster. Solid rookie coaching staff who will get better. I'm all in on this FO and coaching group.

As far as manziel goes, coaches said he was ready (shanahan said he brings excitement, pettine said he's ready any time, manziel says he's ready), NFL analysts say it's time - even given the circumstances of our former playoff run.

The excuse for manziel failing is because he's a bitch who couldn't handle the pressure of being a starter on a team contending for a division title or wild card berth. What a bitch if that's the case, I thought he had a competitive edge and instead he laughs when those bungles shove the money sign in his face.

The excuse for Hoyer failing is because he had the pressure of manziel behind him? What a bitch if that's the case. The savvy smart decision veteran couldn't take having manziel as a backup? Some of his excuses were merited, but he didn't have the same coolness later in the season after he did make some mistakes (they all make some - his Aaron Rodgers turnover streak wasn't gonna last forever, but Brian seemed more and more pressured every game). Anyway, bitch move if that's why he failed during our playoff push.

What a bunch of bitches.

My plan for off season next year:

- Get mack back, beef up the online add depth get some fast big nasties on the right side

- Add some nastyness on the defensive front. Big, fast, strong dudes on the front lines.

- Find a #1 receiver who isn't a dumbass, or maybe turn Gordon off and on again to see if it fixes the problem.

- Sign Hoyer, say bitch this is your team work hard and whoop some ass

- Tell Manziel to start working or just stay home, tie his ass to the bench or pit him at #3 on the depth chart until he decides to buck up

- Go 19-0 next year, beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore by 50 points 3 times each.

/Rant

couch even pointed our that the pressure he had on him once holcomb came in because too much. He said he didn't know it at the time but you're always questioning everything you're doing because of such a high degree of scrutiny.

That's a good point but all I heard was how he was going to come in and light it up. Hoyer is a turd and Johnny is the savior. Now he needs more time to become football jesus?

I said when they made the change that I hoped he got the same great D and O line play that they gave Hoyer in his last game and Tour even came on to tease me that "NOW" I thought he might need help. Well I have been extremely consistent in saying great teams start with great D and O-line play and without them no QB can win games. Hoyer got that his last game, but for whatever reason it just didn't work out. I also stated from the beginning that I feared it was a mistake to bring a rookie QB in with no 1's experience when all opponents would be in playoff mode against a guy with no experience and stated BEFORE Sunday that this was an unfair way to treat any rookie QB. Again I got teased a bit for not having the confidence i showed in him coming into the board this summer. But anyone knowledgeable about pro ball knows you don't make that kind of fundamental change this late in the season with virtually no playing time unless you are forced to do so by injury. No where since the decision to change did I say he was going to "save" anyone other than maybe his own skin by eluding people wanting to damage "Moneymanziel".

I admitted he did not play well and was far below even minimum expectations, but that does not mean it was the correct decision which sets him up to fail, just as Bernie has described.

So the browns set him up to fail, got it.

Such a shame that no matter what he does he's gonna fail because he's with the browns dysfunctional organization.

The pressure of an important NFL game just made him forget how to read an NFL defense, throw from the pocket, sense pressure, etc. Wouldn't have had any issues had we put him in when we were out of contention, like the chance he gets this coming Sunday. Pettine should have known better.

Not saying it isn't tough to make your first start against a first place division opponent in a playoff race, but I dont think anybody who played poorly is using the big moment as an excuse for poor play, including Johnny.

Knowing Johnny's persona sounds like he would have preferred to have this kinda opportunity for his debut.

I thought before the Bengals Johnny was the right choice, but then there's the hind sight.

In fairness, Ag69 did say that last week... albeit in the midst of a good deal of giddiness over his guy starting.

The excuse for Hoyer failing is because he had the pressure of manziel behind him? What a bitch if that's the case.

Not going to copy entire post, but it was one beautiful rant... standing O from me, bb...

I said when they made the change that I hoped he got the same great D and O line play that they gave Hoyer in his last game and Tour even came on to tease me that "NOW" I thought he might need help. Well I have been extremely consistent in saying great teams start with great D and O-line play and without them no QB can win games. Hoyer got that his last game, but for whatever reason it just didn't work out.

First, it was, just as you said, teasing. Not teasing now... serious business.

Second, if you think what "Hoyer got that his last game (Indy)" was "great... O line play" then you either really don't know O-line play or your Maroon glasses are in rare form. I suspect the latter.

Indy grades may be up today. Johnny's game maybe Friday.

Third, you continue to cling to the "no reps" with #1's point despite it's being disputed. How much longer will you cling to it?

I said when they made the change that I hoped he got the same great D and O line play that they gave Hoyer in his last game and Tour even came on to tease me that "NOW" I thought he might need help.....exactly. The second they said they were going to play him, y'all started back pedaling and "preparing" the excuse wagon....

Well I have been extremely consistent in saying great teams start with great D and O-line play and without them no QB can win games....True. But can he score a point? maybe just look the part...even a little?

Hoyer got that his last game, but for whatever reason it just didn't work out. I also stated from the beginning that I feared it was a mistake to bring a rookie QB in with no 1's experience ....Um, all rookies come in under the same pretext. None have #1 experience until they are named starter. JFF is no different than every other rookie or QB that ever got put into a game....except that he's had the whole season to prepare.....and there were 4 weeks of decline with Hoyer, which he was well aware of. So maybe he shoulda used his little brain to actually anticipate that he'd be playing soon. Right?

Do you think it's a "sudden surprise" that he played?

when all opponents would be in playoff mode against a guy with no experience and stated BEFORE Sunday that this was an unfair way to treat any rookie QB. Again I got teased a bit for not having the confidence i showed in him coming into the board this summer....exactly again. Where'd all that bravado go? All we heard was how he was "different" and over came things that "average" QB's dont. So a little pressure kills him all of a sudden? Its "unfair" to play your 1st round pick, because why?

But anyone knowledgeable about pro ball knows you don't make that kind of fundamental change this late in the season with virtually no playing time unless you are forced to do so by injury.....Anyone knowledgeable about football knows the "reason" a player is put in does NOT determine how well he plays. Fucking Tim Tebow was thrust into a Playoff race and won. But, of course, Im sure you'll say thats different. That he was a bad QB on a good team and JFF is a good QB on a bad team////right? So, whether BH got hurt or pulled, JFF is the back up and needed to be ready. He wasn't.

No where since the decision to change did I say he was going to "save" anyone other than maybe his own skin by eluding people wanting to damage "Moneymanziel"....operative words..."since the decision"....waffle much?

I admitted he did not play well and was far below even minimum expectations...there you go. "Far below minimum expectations".....thats what we are sayin too....he was a huge disappointment....no debate there....so why all the defense mechanisms?...the truth hurts, I get it.

but that does not mean it was the correct decision which sets him up to fail...its a team. We are trying to win, not coddle babies. It was the CORRECT decision because BH was failing the team. And in the NFL, when you play poorly, you get benched. And when you are a backup making millions and the starter gets benched, the expectation is that you will be READY and come in and do your job. He wasn't and didnt.

ALL YEAR WE'VE BEEN SAYING "NEXT MAN UP" and MANY have done just that.....apparently that doesnt apply to QB's.....

Archived