THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie's take

Westside Steve

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/bernie_kosar_says_johnny_manzi.html

I wish someone would have asked him what he thought should be done.

At least the rambling isn't as slurred as usual.

WSS

Agree 100% with Bernie - first it was the ex-49er crew calling the shots when the Browns come back, now it's Jimmy Hasbeen. The blame goes to the TOP, not with some silly Charlie Manziel or Brian Moyer.

Bernie's a lot smarter about football than me, but I am willing to give Farmer some time. He's only had one draft, and I thought it was a good one. He also brought in Crowell, somebody who previous regimes would shy away from.

The Browns can't screw up the next draft. They need to draft players, not trade away picks, especially in round 1.

I trust Bernie's judgement, maybe he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Farmer.

Yeah let's have some details on what needs to be done. Bernie, why did you wait until now, when things look better than they have in years, to come out and say this?

I did get a chuckle from this Bernie quote in a related article:

"I've had a headache for 15 years," he said. "And it's getting worse."

Well I'm not sure Bob. I mean seriously bernie is broke and drunk half the time. I have to wonder if he isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it. Sure we need to get lucky in the draft but unless somebody specifically tells me what's wrong with the front office every couple years it doesn't seem like they have anything substantial to say. Just bitching doesn't sound like a blueprint for success.

WSS

You can easily read between the lines here and tell Bernie is venting frustration about how he was "treated" by the organization. Manziel has made exactly one start in the NFL and this regime is on a reasonable pace to make a 100% improvement in the win/loss column. That's the best we've seen in a loooong time.

My take - Hey, Bernie is passionate about the game and he wanted to work for Hasbeen and Hanbeen said no deal. Bernie also says that Bellicheck is the proper program, though it was Bellicheck who removed Bernie from starting in Cleveland and replaced him with Bernie's back up at Miami U. (Vinnie). Bernie noted the lauging by both Cleveland QB's on the sideline while their team was getting trounced and that is the football culture that is broke and that is on the front office, not the coach or players.

He is definitely a take it personally type of football fan! This will probably shelve the QB controversy and make it an organizational controversy. Probably long past due.

"long past due organizational controversy" makes no sense here...

for the first half success and then the collapse due largely to injury,

Kosar is wrong imo - passionate yes - but mosty pissed like the rest of us.

this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

stay the course that is all...

Bernie's a lot smarter about football than me...

Football... yes, agree. Football operations? Different critter.

I have to wonder if (Bernie) isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it.

Pretty much sums it up, I think. Bern's carping has ebbed and flowed since his investment group lost out to Lerner in the original franchising process.

"long past due organizational controversy" makes no sense here...

for the first half success and then the collapse due largely to injury,

Kosar is wrong imo - passionate yes - but mosty pissed like the rest of us.

this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

Course? I don't see any course at all now................

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/bernie_kosar_says_johnny_manzi.html

I wish someone would have asked him what he thought should be done.

At least the rambling isn't as slurred as usual.

WSS

You are a Belichick fan, so I thought you enjoyed rambling slurred speeches. Or, I mean, did you think that every speech you would ever hear would emulate Greg Graves? (Inside joke fellas)

You are a Belichick fan, so I thought you enjoyed rambling slurred speeches. Or, I mean, did you think that every speech you would ever hear would emulate Greg Graves? (Inside joke fellas)

Well what I think is that Bernie Kosar probably knows a good deal about professional football having played it on a fairly high level. When you repeat the charge at the front office is dysfunctional or whatever, I would expect him to say "and here's what would make things better". Then give a few concrete examples. He did actually sound more sober than he has in the past but I think his commentary was in fact rambling.

WSS

This attitude needs to cross over to our offense now, and I'm guessing that will decide if we succeed. They need to hate a little more, hate enough to want to kill. It also helps that we have the most miserable, ugly, cranky and pissed off coach in the NFL with Marrone.

You mean the laughing on the sideline during embarrassing losses isn't a good thing?

No wonder that Tom Brady guy always have that pissed off "i'm going to kill someone" look whenever they are losing.

Well what I think is that Bernie Kosar probably knows a good deal about professional football having played it on a fairly high level. When you repeat the charge at the front office is dysfunctional or whatever, I would expect him to say "and here's what would make things better". Then give a few concrete examples. He did actually sound more sober than he has in the past but I think his commentary was in fact rambling.

WSS

OK, but, did he start his talk with "there were these two dogs"?

... seriously bernie is broke and drunk half the time. I have to wonder if he isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it.

I dont even wonder....he's angry at everyone....his family for making him broke, the NFL for making him slur, Cleveland media for firing him, the Browns for not hiring him....agenda anyone?

You can easily read between the lines here and tell Bernie is venting frustration about how he was "treated" by the organization.

Thats my take....and no answers between the lines either....just general accusations without and specifics..

yep....if Bernie was a coach, he'd be saying something different....

Pretty much sums it up, I think. Bern's carping has ebbed and flowed since his investment group lost out to Lerner in the original franchising process.

Bad culture causes laughing on the sidelines???....wonder how he feels about players who get drunk before work?

I don't know if it's a "culture" thing so much, but I agree with most of what Kosar is saying. I just think the problem this year has more to do with the JF media circus than anything else. On the surface, the switch from Hoyer to JF after the Colts game made a lot of sense. The offense was tanking, making the playoffs seemed unlikely, and we had potential, untested talent in the wings at QB. Makes sense to me.

What I don't get is why Hoyer (and our entire offense) started to implode after a 7-4 start. Ok, we have had some challenges on the OL, but they seemed to be holding their own. At that point, Gordon was coming back and the defense was starting to improve. WTF happened??? I can sort of understand getting shut down by the Bills, but the Colts game didn't sit well with me. With our defensive effort, we should have easily won that game. Why did our offense (not just QB) become so inept when we had so much going for us? Could the JF media circus have somehow caused this? Did mounting pressure force the coaching staff to start Manziel before he was ready? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but, unless JF turns out to be the savior, I see another year of big changes in the Browns organization. Especially knowing they'll probably end the season by losing the last 5 games (and 6 of the last 7).

I like Johnny for the most part. He's a little immature, but he's a hard worker and great competitor. I just think picking him in the draft (especially in the 1st rd) was a huge mistake. That's probably why so many teams avoided him. Selling T-shirts is great, but at some point you have to back it up with wins.

I don't know if it's a "culture" thing so much, but I agree with most of what Kosar is saying. I just think the problem this year has more to do with the JF media circus than anything else. On the surface, the switch from Hoyer to JF after the Colts game made a lot of sense. The offense was tanking, making the playoffs seemed unlikely, and we had potential, untested talent in the wings at QB. Makes sense to me.
What I don't get is why Hoyer (and our entire offense) started to implode after a 7-4 start. Ok, we have had some challenges on the OL, but they seemed to be holding their own. At that point, Gordon was coming back and the defense was starting to improve. WTF happened??? I can sort of understand getting shut down by the Bills, but the Colts game didn't sit well with me. With our defensive effort, we should have easily won that game. Why did our offense (not just QB) become so inept when we had so much going for us? Could the JF media circus have somehow caused this? Did mounting pressure force the coaching staff to start Manziel before he was ready? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but, unless JF turns out to be the savior, I see another year of big changes in the Browns organization. Especially knowing they'll probably end the season by losing the last 5 games (and 6 of the last 7).
I like Johnny for the most part. He's a little immature, but he's a hard worker and great competitor. I just think picking him in the draft (especially in the 1st rd) was a huge mistake. That's probably why so many teams avoided him. Selling T-shirts is great, but at some point you have to back it up with wins.

Very fair question, I just think Hoyer couldn't manage the pressure of looking over his shoulder and he imploded as a result. I'd be 100% against it obviously but I actually believe Hoyer would play a good game if they put him back in now that Manziel tanked like that.

Bernie is a bitter man and his bitterness against the organization comes through fairly clearly in his rant. The Browns have had every reason first of all to steer clear of Bernie based on his plethora of personal issues. Bernie's commentary on the skill level of our current coaching staff and management are pure conjecture on his part. His personal and family life are a complete disaster and his time would be well spent getting his own house in order. No last year so when Bernie was a commentator you can literally see the shipping is and strangeness of him in his eyes. I do understand that Bernie overall knows more than most of us put together about football however he simply too biased and out of the loop to intelligently comment on what's really going on.

Winning is a mindset. When Ray (the murderer) Lewis announced his retirement just in time for the playoff push, his team played like crazy. He timed the announcement to coincide with 1. Playoffs 2. Media attention. The whole team fed off his gigantic ego and they went on to win the Super Bowl. They were a mediocre, under achieving team at best until ole Ray got wise and stoked the fire with his retirement news.

What Kosar was trying to say is that someone needs to take charge and be a leader. If you live in the basement long enough you grow accustomed to the dark. The front office needs to make better decisions on draft day and the team needs to focus on fundamental football. They need continuity and better coaching from everyone involved. This team has been used as a stepping stone to better places and it's time this stopped. Players should want to stay in Cleveland and be proud to wear the orange and brown. Haslam needs more time to prove he's serious. Hopefully this is not another Holmgren regime that collects a paycheck and absolutely nothing else.

So far, Ray Farmer and Pettine seem legit. But another wasted first round is going to start taking a toll. They need playmakers and passed on the best wide receiver draft ever. This is concerning considering they knew about Gordon's predicament. This next draft will be very telling.

Very fair question, I just think Hoyer couldn't manage the pressure of looking over his shoulder and he imploded as a result. I'd be 100% against it obviously but I actually believe Hoyer would play a good game if they put him back in now that Manziel tanked like that.

I agree - I don't think coach Mike Pedigree nor offensive coordinator Shenanigans wanted to start Manziel. Someone above them made that call.

Fuck you. He is a great former Cleveland Brown.

So what. The fact he was a great former Brown means nothing in relation to his commentary on running an NFL football team. Realistically to call him "great" is a stretch anyway. His actions in recent years are an embarrassment as was previously stated. I do not question his football smarts but that in and of itself does not quality him to run or even comment on the way a team is run. If you can't see the bitterness in him because of the fact the organization wants nothing to do with him you are being purposely blind. The way the guy avoids eye contact and the camera when he as a commentator was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=cleveland-browns&id=10615

Tim Couch agrees with Bernie.

Unlike some others, I don't think Couch had what it took to be more than average. Maybe he could a had a pro bowl year on a great team and some good flashes.

No doubt the pummeling he took week after week pretty much ended his career though, which probably could a been decent.

Let's such up the hatas by whooping Carolina and Baltimore.

Archived