THE BROWNS BOARD

Jay Cutler

WinstonLegthigh

OK, I know most people's thoughts on Jay Cutler. He has sucked this year, and has some really bad moments. That being said, if/when the bears get rid of him, and if JF sucks ass the rest of the year (or even if he doesn't) would you want cutler?

I was having this discussion with my cousin, and thought I would bring it here. At first I was hesitant to the idea, but I'm starting to come around. Cutler is usually a great QB, and he has one of the best arms in the league. I feel we are only in need of a few more key pieces and some depth, and we will be a powerhouse. A good draft of O and D line, a LB or two, and sign or trade for cutler. I dunno what his contract situation is but we could probably get him without giving much up.

Anyway, thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There won't be anything left of Jay when the MNF Postgame crew is done with him...

So his wife should be available.

On another note Cavs' highlights on SportCenter included a number of pinpoint bombs from Kevin Love to LeBron.

They then CG'd "Love" to the bottom of the name-list jersey.. right under Johnnie's.

Cutler would be a downgrade from Hoyer. If the Browns defense plays like they played against the Colts, then all the Browns need is a QB that won't turn the ball over and can keep the offense on the field. They don't need a superstar, just someone serviceable. Between Hoyer, Manziel and Shaw they can find someone competent enough to lead the offense. No new QB, I'd rather see the Browns focus on bulking up the run defense or the O-line and draft a receiver who understands how to run routes and will fight for the ball.

Cutler would be a downgrade from Hoyer. If the Browns defense plays like they played against the Colts, then all the Browns need is a QB that won't turn the ball over and can keep the offense on the field. They don't need a superstar, just someone serviceable. Between Hoyer, Manziel and Shaw they can find someone competent enough to lead the offense. No new QB, I'd rather see the Browns focus on bulking up the run defense or the O-line and draft a receiver who understands how to run routes and will fight for the ball.

Amen!

No shit! How the hell can a football team have success if turd running backs cut through the 3 4 defense like it was a stick of warm butter? What other reason is there to run a 3 4 in the first place?

And I agree that injuries have taken a big toll on the offensive line and we do need some depth.

WSS

No shit! How the hell can a football team have success if turd running backs cut through the 3 4 defense like it was a stick of warm butter? What other reason is there to run a 3 4 in the first place?

And I agree that injuries have taken a big toll on the offensive line and we do need some depth.

WSS

So it's your belief that any team running a variation of a 34 can't stop the run?

So it's your belief that any team running a variation of a 34 can't stop the run?

Uh....no?

I'm saying that the three 4 is supposedly a better defense for stopping the run just by its design. And I am saying that makes it even shittier that we can't stop the run at all.

sorry if I wasn't clear.

WSS

I'm being 100% serious that I'd rather cut Manziel and Hoyer and bring back Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy and Weeden to compete before having Jay Cutler.

DA is 2-0 as a starter, where's Lumbergh when you need em?

Id actually rather face Cam than DA this week, they seem "grittier" when Anderson plays.

Not gonna matter if we don't put together a gameplan that the Muchkin can execute, they have a talented front seven, gotta get the ball up in the air quickly and effectively, no waltzing around holding the football up by his head like Joe College.

Z

Id actually rather face Cam than DA this week, they seem "grittier" when Anderson plays.

Not gonna matter if we don't put together a gameplan that the Muchkin can execute, they have a talented front seven, gotta get the ball up in the air quickly and effectively, no waltzing around holding the football up by his head like Joe College.

Z

I agree with all of that. Just know if you hear a faint "we want Anderson back" chant it's the 25 year old dude in a Browns Santa hat starting it.

Cutler is the most apathetic QB I've ever seen.

IF, and I mean if the Browns go a different direction from Hoyer/Manziel in the offseason,

I already have a guy in mind but I think it would require quite a bit to get him:

jimmy-garoppolo.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

He was a 3rd Round Pick, at least, by the Pats.

Imagine if the Browns took Sammy Watkins with their first pick, the CB with their second pick in the first round and Garoppolo in the second round?

IF JF proves to be a bust - and I do mean IF - the Browns' FO has to be held 100% accountable.

Pretty soon, many of the team's key players will be hitting their peak or, even, start the downslide while the FO continues to look for an NFL QB.

It's the FO (again)

Cutler is the most apathetic QB I've ever seen.

Walter, that is a perfect word choice...

sorry if I wasn't clear.

So it's not just when I read your posts... ;)

I understood what he was saying. Although I don't agree anymore that any one scheme is superior to stopping either the run or pass...it's all on personnel. You get the best personnel you can and you fit the scheme to what they do best. I don't think we've done that here. There's zero reason to be standing up Kruger and Sheard almost 100% of the game like we do. They don't set the edge any better standing than they do from the 3 point. And both explode harder off the line with their hands down. So if we're not asking two 270'ish lb OLB'ers to drop much in coverage, why on earth are we standing them? Mingo you stand, I get it...cause he is a legitimate threat to drop back and be competent at it. No qb has ever looked at Sheard and Kruger standing up at the line and thought to themselves I wonder if they're rushing or dropping?......and changed the play one itota based on whether the guys were up or down.

That's not to say I dont' think edges should ever stand...even in a 4-3 I wouldn't mind the DE's standing up in a two point run defense stance which lets them squat in the bounce lanes. Course that's predicated on the interior then doing it's job. Which ours hasn't.

Weeks before the draft this past May, I was convinced they would take Mike Evans or Khalil Mack at #4 and Derek Carr or Garapollo at #26. But Farmer wasn't drafting who any of the experts or fans thought he would. So it's a bit disconcerting going into next year's draft knowing we could take a complete unproven in the first round. Did the Front office even show up at the combine?

Lol.

The bears were the team to overvalue Cutler, we weren't and still aren't that dumb.

And Jimmy G is the guy I was hoping we'd draft to develop, over Johnny.

I'm still mad the Patriots got him. Still think he was the best of the bunch too. Apparently, so does Belicheck

He was a 3rd Round Pick, at least, by the Pats.

Imagine if the Browns took Sammy Watkins with their first pick, the CB with their second pick in the first round and Garoppolo in the second round?

IF JF proves to be a bust - and I do mean IF - the Browns' FO has to be held 100% accountable.

Pretty soon, many of the team's key players will be hitting their peak or, even, start the downslide while the FO continues to look for an NFL QB.

It's the FO (again)

I screamed for two weeks about Ray Farmer and the draft. Now it looks like another bust!

Archived