THE BROWNS BOARD

time to start the draft talk you Blunts.

Clevfan4life

This "losing culture" was really turning around the first 10 weeks of the season, was it not?

I think they're enough players on this team now that are hungry to win. More importantly some vets that have tasted success which becomes infectious. The issue is injury, talent and leadership. The last of those being a very distant 3rd. Suppose Mack, Dansby, Phil, Gipson and Monty weren't hurt. This team would probably be sitting around 9 wins with a serious shot at taking the AFCN.

For the first time in a long time, this team had direction, a steady coach that didn't throw his own players under the bus and some talent. The most important being the latter. Now that a good portion of said talent is on the IR, the team has suffered.

It's pretty simple, this draft class and free agency pool can help this team. It's rarely an overnight process in the NFL. We have 7 wins for god sake. One over what might be the NFC south champ, a blowout over Pittsburgh and another over the bungles. This season has not been a 4 win unmitigated disaster like the previous 6. I like a lot of what I see. Just needs time and more young talent.

Couldn't have said it better.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bengals game screamed "losing culture". There has been improvements made, and we had signs of change. It just has to continue and grow, and the draft has to fit into that change.

wrong.

it screamed of one team being healthy and remembering a huge beat down that was given by the other team that didn't field those same players and is now being held together by string and glue because of injuries and started a rookie QB for the first time.

you couldn't be any more wrong.

and if you don't think this FO doesn't know what direction they want this team to go in and using the draft and FA to get them there??????? isn't that just common sense?

Common sense has nothing to do with the Browns since 99. Our players quit, plain and simple. Not all, but enough to make it look as pathetic as it did. It was a common theme with section 139, and anyone I talked to after the game. Sure, a few people simply blamed JF, but that's because they are just that, simple. There was no fight in our team. They just gave up.

Pettine appeared shocked when discussing the review of the tapes. I think he expected better from the whole team, including JM. He is keeping JM starting for the last two games to get a better read since he did not play as well as he has practiced apparently.

In terms of draft I have always believed you rebuild teams from the trenches outward. Sunday's game showed how little depth we have in both lines.

Wilson is just damn smart and poised. One is suited to be a college QB and one is suited to be an NFL stud. We got the college guy. Manziel plays small. Yesterday he played tiny. I thought a lineman was going to hold him up by his little pants with his arms and legs flailing. Like the cartoons. Except it is our personal hell.

On one sack the lineman just grabbed the midget with one paw and then Johnny's little tiny shoes tripped over the guys other hand.

Zombo

:) Unfortunately Z this is the NFL. and a DL would get flagged for unnecessary roughness if they did a repeat to JF what Suh did when he ragdoll tossed Colt McCoy for around 5 yards when he was at Texas. For the record- Colt 6'2" 215, Johnny Football 6'0", 215.

Is there a good quarterback in this years draft?

Mariota will go right away and isn't worth the trade up......

I expect Winston to be available.....if you consider immature head cases to be good QB's....

Otherwise, no one else that looks like a sure bet.....all projects

the losing culture will return right quick if we change regimes again.

and no, no fucking qb in next years draft. Get Hoyer signed, he needs to be our qb for the next two years at least. Johnny just has to sit on the bench and learn...but Hoyer needs to understand that it's an open comp. None of this johnnny has to leave BS.

:) Unfortunately Z this is the NFL. and a DL would get flagged for unnecessary roughness if they did a repeat to JF what Suh did when he ragdoll tossed Colt McCoy for around 5 yards when he was at Texas. For the record- Colt 6'2" 215, Johnny Football 6'0", 215.

johnny-manziel-brandon-thompson-nfl-cinc

Here he is getting sacked by one hand.

Meanwhile, we hit Ben or Flacco with three guys and they escape and throw a dart.

Zombo

Yes the QBs don't seem that appealing to me this year.

Beef up the lines, add a receiver, grab some front 7 depth in general on defense.

I'm cool with Hoyer starting behind our line with 3 probable pro bowlers on it (Thomas, Mack, Bitonio) next year.

I'd really like to see a premium nose tackle.

the losing culture will return right quick if we change regimes again.

and no, no fucking qb in next years draft. Get Hoyer signed, he needs to be our qb for the next two years at least. Johnny just has to sit on the bench and learn...but Hoyer needs to understand that it's an open comp. None of this johnnny has to leave BS.

I agree, but I don't think Hoyer will be here next year, and they are not going into the season with Manziel and Shaw. They will have to get a veteran from free agency not another rookie unless they decide to part ways with Manziel, and I doubt that.

I agree, but I don't think Hoyer will be here next year, and they are not going into the season with Manziel and Shaw. They will have to get a veteran from free agency not another rookie unless they decide to part ways with Manziel, and I doubt that.

Not many good ones, I'd rather keep Brian than take Sanchez, Ponder, Locker, etc, etc.

Yep....There is definitely no magic pill out there in the NFL.....a bunch of retreads.....bad QB's....back ups......or old men....

And college wise, it's a weak class. No great prospects. So, unless Farmer finds that magic Genie, we gotta work with what we got and fish for a lucky draw later in the draft.....

if manziel looks as bad as he did against the bengals last week in the last 2 remaining games i wouldn't be so sure about next year's roster.

hoyer blew his chance for a big contract with the browns, or so it looked until manziel took the field.

Agreed. Coaching. Take the same players and place them on a well coached team and you'd see results. Coaching.

you can't make that call after 1 year. Vince Lombardi could rise up out of the grave and still need a few years to gel with guys. Like Pettine or not, we don't have a choice but to stick with him for years to come. Blame past FO's but it is what it is now....another coaching change means we'll NEVER get anyone here worth a damn. You want the Browns to become a yearly procession of CFL and D3 cast outs? You think we'll get a Cowher type here if we demonstrably prove that any coach that comes here has to "at least" make the playoffs year 1? No chance.

This should Chuds 2nd year and more importantly Hortons 2nd year with this defense. I think our offense production would be fairly similar to what it was but I think our defense would have been much improved over last year given the same scheme. I def think the scheme change had at least a good part to do with the onset of the complete inability to track down runners.

If what we saw on the field Sunday is the other option, blech.

If we beef up the line, I think the good Brian (the one who doesn't throw picks) is a fine option for awhile.

Unless he wants the same contract that he did earlier this year. If he's a complete dick and says well you have to give me what I want otherwise you're stuck with Johnny...than I'd rather see JM out there or even Grossman. Hoyer should take the deal he was offered, if the Browns or so inclined anymore (I hope they are), and thank the lord above he'll be starting on an NFL team next year.

some people just don't get it.

everyone called our defense 'championship caliber' after the Indy game. now they think they're bums. do you know who didn't play?

I think everybody understood it was just one game. I don't think anybody was actually thinking one game proved our D turned any corners. Especially against a team that started Trich in the backfield.

so i guess they were bums in the 7 games we won? take away our biggest run stopper our top corner our top safety and some other key components............oh you're a waste of time.

you are the new flip flopper only behind walter.

So you start 11 men on Defense from our initial 11 starters, we were missing or lost early

Armonty Bryant

Phil Taylor

Carlos Dansby

Joe Haden

Buster Skrine

Tashaun Gipson

add the players nursing injuries....

Sheard

Winn

Mingo

Leaves you with basically 2-3 "healthy" starters...out of 11....from day 1....

But maybe the defense collapsed because of Haslam or bad coaching or they hated Johnny or something(sarcasm)...please

This should Chuds 2nd year and more importantly Hortons 2nd year with this defense. I think our offense production would be fairly similar to what it was but I think our defense would have been much improved over last year given the same scheme. I def think the scheme change had at least a good part to do with the onset of the complete inability to track down runners.

Only the browns fans would call for a coaching change.

4-12 to 7-7,8-8, or 9-7 is a fine improvement. Splitting everybody in the division would be an improvement too, if we beat Baltimore.

Let's get him an All Pro WR, a Pro Bowl TE and a HOF Left tackle.

Oh wait ... already got those. Let's get him a little periscope so he can see what is going on above the linemen's heads.

Zombo

Wonder of there is submarine play book?

Archived