THE BROWNS BOARD

3 rounds down...5 in the tank....lets review....

Mudfly

Ok......first: Id say this year is a "little" better than last year......purely due to Garrett....otherwise, a full on repeat of last years draft.....

The repeat?

1) pass on elite players to trade back for 1 lesser player and a "wait till next year pick"

2) using a higher pick on a QB who likely wont be the guy....

The disappointment?

I was poised for and anticipating a knockout defensive draft and prayed it would happen.....Had a long list of players that would fill voids and deliver on D....unfortunately the Browns didn't see it that way and(outside of Garrett) didn't tap any players on my radar...(ala the 2016 draft - less nassib & the scoobs)

The good?

At least they didnt screw up the first pick this year.....that's one obvious improvement....

So....now that is out of the way....lets look at this....as fairly as possible....(Ill do my best here).....

1.1) Myles Garrett......I love this pick(of course) and have a very very good feeling about how he'll do. He blew me away with his talent....and then his pressy. No qualms.....no second guessing....no big worries here......A+.....all the way!

1.12) The trade back.....completely hated this move...100%......a repeat of last year AND previous regimes....and before you tell me about "next years" first round, lets remember we've been hearing THAT for a few years in a row now(and there's still no big pay back for passing on those studs).....Farmers "extra" became Cam.....and now Shashis "trade back" became a "trade back"......so, what, now we wait another year for that late 1st that's so great that we passed on potential stars to get it?.....they'll probably trade THAT pick for one in 2019......my grade...D

1.25) Jabril Peppers.....While I wasn't a Peppers hater(like so many were), I felt there were several other safety options I preferred.

My primary beefs were:

1) He has limited experience and there were several others who had a much better grip on the position......

2) he's a Strong S(all day...every day) and our greatest need was Free S....IN FACT, we have 2 younguns already trying to develop as SS(Kindred and Campbell), so to draft a 3rd prospect for that position, while ignoring the glaring need at FS is very troubling to me.....very troubling indeed....

That being said....Im happy to have the Jabber on our team. He looks like a great athlete and I like his mindset....and think he'll be a solid player and versatile asset for the Browns....I think he will help our run defense and end up being a whitner type enforcer box safety.....PLUS, we really need someone who can return kicks and he looks like the guy to do that. So....based on our needs and the trade back to 25, I give this pick a D....but based just upon Peppers at 25....Ima grade this one a B....with potential to move up.....I think we will all grow to love this one......

1.29) David Njoku....So this one kind of baffles me, simply because OJ Howard was in our hands and we traded back.....THEN we trade up to draft a TE?.....just dont get it...... and also didnt see TE as such a high need that we'd take one over FS - CB - LB - etc. Kind of shaking my head on this one.....

BUT....in watching his tape, you can see he has great potential and could become a solid player for us.....even if we over spent to get him. And, now that weve already cut the veteran starter ahead of him, he too will be given an instant starting role.....my grade, luke warmish, at best....C - ......

(side note...this guy is one ugly looking dude....just sayin)

2.1) The trade up...........This, plus a 4th....to move up 3 spots?....not crazy about it.....(nope)

2.20) Deshaun Kizer....Here is what Ill say.....I hate this pick, for the same reasons I hated the Kessler pick....already feeling like we wasted opportunities to draft great players and 2.20 was really our last(best) shot at getting a player that could step in and help immediately....and that didnt happen...

My main beef with a 2nd round QB....or last years 3rd round QB....is that we all KNOW they will have to draft one next year....which is what I said last year, and it happened.....and NOW, we have front loaded next years draft to do what?,,,,select a qb(my guess)....so why even bother with this one. We would have done better to grab a "good" player and save the "project QB that will never play" for the 4th or later rounds.....4.1 coulda been that pick....oops...

The only positive I will give this pick is that I understand our desperation for QB and praise god that Chicago stopped Shashi from being the laughing stock(da bears now are)....and I also understand that you have to keep swinging.....But....if we plan to give Kessler time to develop, then give Kizer time to develop.....when will next years QB develop?.....I see overlap that wasnt needed....my grade here is Dee minus.....

3.1) I dont know who this guy is....looks athletic, but thats it....projecty?...who know, put him next to Nassib and watch to see who becomes NFL caliber first......another lesser need filled with a lesser prospect.....my grade = C -

So....in the end.....I see 3 players I like....but pretty much wish we hadnt taken. Feels like we missed the boat on some of our biggest needs, when the talent was sitting right there for the taking....we did, however, add some guys that should be starters and play better than the guys we already had.....and that is improvement....my overall grade....C- ......because of all the passes we took and all the holes we coulda shoulda filled, but didnt.....(And...w/o Garret it drops to D -)

Not a take I feel compelled to.. or even capable of... arguing you off of... a/k/a a pretty wide ledge... maybe with a safety belt on to boot.

The only comment I will make is that Gregg must see more potential in our Defensive roster than was brought out by Horton last season. I think you'll agree that is not a very big stretch.

Gregg has Defensive player "input" written in his contract. I'm sure he's used it. Not saying he wouldn't rather have had Foster or Allen or whomever at 12, or 24, but not enough to put his "want" above a team decision.

Just make sure that Safety Belt is attached to something... ;)

Not a take I feel compelled to.. or even capable of... arguing you off of... a/k/a a pretty wide ledge... maybe with a safety belt on to boot.

The only comment I will make is that Gregg must see more potential in our Defensive roster than was brought out by Horton last season. I think you'll agree that is not a very big stretch.

Gregg has Defensive player "input" written in his contract. I'm sure he's used it. Not saying he wouldn't rather have had Foster or Allen or whomever at 12, or 24, but not enough to put his "want" above a team decision.

Just make sure that Safety Belt is attached to something... ;)

Im not on the ledge or jumping.....and I guess folks will think Im bashing this draft.....but, Im really not....

Simply put....not the draft I woulda conducted....and, while I dont agree with the picks, I do see picks that will help this team.....So, Im ok with the first 3...but nowhere near excited....

K?

... and for the record I am coming from the same place, but in the opposite direction... if that's possible.

No full-blown defense of our draft here... just a growing acceptance.

I think our common thread is we were invested in an assessment of and prospects for our D. Add that we both became invested, even heavily invested, in realistic prospects to fill the needs we saw.

Going to take some time to get past that...

... and for the record I am coming from the same place, but in the opposite direction... if that's possible.

No full-blown defense of our draft here... just a growing acceptance.

I think our common thread is we were invested in an assessment of and prospects for our D. Add that we both became invested, even heavily invested, in realistic prospects to fill the needs we saw.

Going to take some time to get past that...

Im trying harder to like things this year than I did last.....we both know we are disappointed.....Im just quicker to say it....

But...Im certainly not feeling rage.....or anything close.....

Not a totally accurate statement. Sashi's trade down last year became Coleman and a first. That "Extra" first this year became "Peppers" and another "Extra" first round pick next year. That single trade down has now put us in a position to have 3 first round picks the next draft, and that my friend is HUGE!

Corey Coleman, Jabrill Peppers and another first round pick next year for the trade down last year. Add on owning both the Texans first and second round selections next draft and we are dominating the draft. All eyes are on us now. This is the time the true fans, the fans that have been through the turmoil need to raise up and dig deep to show the NFL why we are the best fans in the sport, bar none.

Not a totally accurate statement. Sashi's trade down last year became Coleman and a first. That "Extra" first this year became "Peppers" and another "Extra" first round pick next year. That single trade down has now put us in a position to have 3 first round picks the next draft, and that my friend is HUGE!

More like... HUGE!

Corey Coleman, Gerbil Peppers and another first round pick next year for the trade down last year. Add on owning both the Texans first and second round selections next draft and we are dominating the draft. All eyes are on us now. This is the time the true fans, the fans that have been through the turmoil need to raise up and dig deep to show the NFL why we are the best fans in the sport, bar none.

While I understand that and used to subscribe to it....Ive concluded that we need GOOD players.....and we keep passing up greatness for a collection of average to shit.....

Yes...we got coleman and futures....and still need a WR dont we?......I would rather had had Wentz, Bosa, Elliot.....cause winners need elite players and we keep trading out of that opportunity....and we have tons of options to pick guys like Peppers and Coleman....while we rarely get the opportunity to pick great ones.....at least they had enough sense to tap Myles

I remember how the Indians used to always trade one great one for 5 minor league players, then tell us how great they'd be,,,,,

Mud, you DID bash this draft. Maybe not as colorfully as I do, but you essentially regurgitated most of what I have said. The paramount point is that you recognize the Browns again blew opportunities to acquire top players. Nobody they drafted, save Kizer has an upside that will change the Browns fortunes in 2017.

While you may "love" the Garrett pick, remember that Hue "loved" RG3. Garrett won't add wins to the Browns team once way or another. I will guarantee you that he will not be the outstanding DE of this draft. the Alabama T manhandled im and shut him down completely. That, and not his performances against weak teams should have been his benchmark. Garrett will make a few plays next year, but between the tougher OL in the NFL, his lack of a bull rush, and clever defenses designed to neutralize and avoid him, on most plays he will be running sprints that end 4 feet behind the QB, or in desperation watching a running back long gone into the Browns secondary.

Kizer, as you noted, won't amount to anything. Inaccurate, jumpy, erratic QBs don't become winners. The Browns bet on a very long shot. For sure the guy is athletic, but all NFL players, save offensive linemen are athletic. Kizer is a stretch, BUT.......a 1,000 times better choice than Watson. However, they are both cut from the same mold, and on opening day, will both be shitting their pants.

You are absolutely wrong about Trubisky. The Bears are a far better franchise than the Browns, both historically and in the shorter historical view since 1999.

It is almost infallible to a man on this board. You guys just do not believe that a team needs a QB. You feel about QBs the way I do about fatass offensive linemen. Every year, over and over with fans like you, it is the same deal...."I didn't see a QB worthy of a first round pick". So too it was with Big Ben. Rich and I got blasted for wanting Roethlisberger. But you geniuses knew better....."He played in a small college", maybe in the third round he would be worth a gamble" It never ends with you people.

You cannot have a winning franchise without a winning QB. No team has ever had a winning run based on defense. All the great teams had great QBs. It eludes you people. Always next year, always....we just don't have the right guy.....always, "he doesn't fit our system". 0 - 19. Each and every year, Browns fans here think our FO has stuck it to the rest of the FOs. Every year you come in here all cocky, believing that you are a part of the NFL elite brain trust; just waiting for your net team to burst into the W column, giving you that ever so elusive once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to shout to the world.....I TOLD YOU SO.....LOOK AT US.....

But is's a fantasy dude. This was not a good draft. "The media is giving us an A or B+ Ghoolie, what do YOU know?". I know that not you, not anyone here, not anyone in the media has been more accurate than me. Perfect? Of course not, but if you want to point out my occasional

misfire, then compare the complete misfire picture, not just mine. I have a far higher football accuracy than anyone. It is why I am read more than anyone here. It is why Texas AG reads my posts, and THEN announces he is glad he ignores my posts and doesn't have to read what he just read three time.

So, 2017 is going to be a great football year for me, not so much for you, and fans like you. Trubisky will sour this giddy draft week behavior and you all will live the sour reality of my wisdom yet again. Without a QB, RB, WRs and a great TE, the rest of the shit doesn't get you much, maybe 2 more wins.

So dude, go ahead, do the annual dance around the campfire. Celebrate how great the Browns drafted and how we are FINALLY on the right track. Then remember this post, and when the draft approaches next year? Remember that Ghollie is the only one who predicted accurately the headlines you will read in 2018.

"What must the Browns new team do do have a good draft?"

"Will the Browns continue to fail in the draft?"

"Browns struggle to end 18 year long draft curse?"

Just remember this. The overwhelming majority of posters here have given high marks, each and every year to the Browns draft. Each year, you guys fabricate shit about why taking the lesser players is actually going to deliver big dividends. Each year you make fun of the teams who draft the maquee players and praise not having to pay so much money.

Not once, dude, not once, has the analysis and the annual draft week euphoria here ever panned out. Not once. Not once has the Browns draft delivered a single impact player that contributed to a winning team. So...let's say I am wrong about this year's draft ( which I am not", I STILL am far more accurate than anyone here, You guys will have been correct once since 1999. I will have been wrong once since 1999.

This draft was an abomination. Worst I have ever seen.

You love to talk about how right you are on everything, but you really arent. You said last year about how bad a draft Cleveland had by drafting Coleman, you very well could end up being right, but he had more of an impact than your pick Paxton Lynch. Speaking of Paxton, since you want to say last years draft and this years draft was so bad, then that means Lynch is already a bust right? The fact is players progress at different levels and speeds. Going off of your crazy time clock on evaluating if a player is going to be good or not, Aaron Rodgers sucks, he didn't play for a few seasons.

And I have no clue who you are, or what you look like, doesn't really matter. But I will GUARANTEE that these "fatass" lineman you like to talk about are 100 times more athletic than you.

I read your posts and I get a good laugh, and sure sometimes you may have been right, hell I wouldn't make a prediction on how someone is going to do so I will give you credit, but you really need to stop with this stupid I know more about football or football accuracy stuff. I would love to see your football knowledge, draw up some plays, explain the proper progressions and what the correct reads should be based on the opposition, and when the offense/defense adjusts to it, how you can adjust it to still make the play effective.

You can be Ghoolie the all knowing on here and make yourself feel better. But all that gets you is self admiration and everyone seeing you as the ultimate monday morning quarterback. I will see if I can get you an application for the Raiders to become a scout and talent evaluator. It will suck for Derek Carr though, since he will lose his job to the future HOF before he takes a snap Mitch Trubisky

Hey Gunz.....the best thing to do in these situations is NOT take the bait.....it really isnt that hard and has a way of keeping the thread on track....

Since I am the supreme ruler on this thread, I declare it will close the instant the ghoolie plague takes over and turns it to shit....

Hey Gunz.....the best thing to do in these situations is NOT take the bait.....it really isnt that hard and has a way of keeping the thread on track....

Since I am the supreme ruler on this thread, I declare it will close the instant the ghoolie plague takes over and turns it to shit....

He won't respond. Every time I have replied to him posts like this and showed him some truth, he hasn't responded. I would LOVE to see him try to take my challenge. I want to see his play designs set up specifically for Paxton Lynch and Mitch Trubisky

Archived