THE BROWNS BOARD

Barnidge cut

LondonBrown

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree...

We might not see a TE lined up "inline" the entire season and as bad of a blocker as he was (and he was bad) Barn just can't complete with our kids as a slot receiver.

Sad but true...

I'll now wait for the "oh, tour, don't you remember 2015 when Barn not only led us in receiving, but also caught a TD with his butt cheeks?" replies.

Taking reps off Njoku and Devalve, what good does that do for the long term?

Fine...if you think these guys will actually produce. Though, in my opinion I think they could have still used Barnidge....perhaps minimally in a mentoring capacity as well as for his possible production. But, again,he wasn't "their guy" so he was expendable.

By the way....look for them to cut Des Bryant for the same reason...and maybe a couple of others.

Fine...if you think these guys will actually produce. Though, in my opinion I think they could have still used Barnidge...

Agreed....and one of my main complaints from last season....cutting veteran talent BEFORE knowing if you have a replacement....and instead of keeping them for depth(which we have none)....

Im not too upset about Barny going....Njoku should be good enough....but the basic principle of how these Browns do it bugs me...

Just investing in players who will be here for the entire ride, Mud...

And thanks, war, for not leaving me hanging...

oh, tour, don't you remember 2015 when Barn not only led us in receiving, but also caught a TD with his butt cheeks?

And yet another not so great "but" vivid memory of recent BROWNS football.

....I hope that football isn't on someone's mantle at home, ewww.

I kinda question just how useful the whole "vets mentoring younger players" really is in football. I mean, l'm sure the vets help those guys with regard to stuff like which coach to not piss off, and where the best bar is to get laid at, but with the actual game of football l'm just not sure how much mentoring they can do.

It's football, not rocket science, and if you actually make an NFL roster it stands to reason you basically know what it takes to block and catch balls, it's just a matter of reps for muscle memory and being as fit as you can be.

2018 NFL DRAFT

First round: (2) Own pick, Texans' pick via 2017 draft-day trade.

Second round: (3) Own pick, Eagles' pick via 2016 draft-day trade, Texans' pick via Brock Osweiler trade.

Third round: (1) Own pick.

Fourth round: (2) Own pick, Panthers' pick via Andy Lee trade.

Fifth round: (1) Own pick.

Sixth round: (2) Own pick, Steelers' pick via Justin Gilbert trade.

Seventh round: (1) Own pick.

Can't wait. Hopefully the Texans go 0-16 next year. That would be nice, imagine if we win the Superbowl and Texans go winless. We get the Lombardi and the first and last picks of both the first and second rounds. Yeah baby! That's what I'm talking about! :)

Can't wait. Hopefully the Texans go 0-16 next year.

Hey... I gotta live with a Texan fan...

Shoulda seen the look I got a couple days ago when we lost to the Astros, and I called them the dirty Bastros...

The veteran pro bowl player can teach the young players by example.

By showing a pro bowl work ethic in the meeting rooms and on the practice field.

Barn didn't have another 'big' year last season. He's older and not a good blocker. We have other non blocking TE's...we cut the one with the best hands.

We'll have to see if these newer TE's can learn to block.

The whole mentoring thing is overblown. Dogs gonna hunt.

Agree on mentoring at this stage. But to pull the rug out on Kessler's two main chemistry guys in one off-season? that's like a blind dog just learning how to hunt

Barn didn't have another 'big' year last season. He's older and not a good blocker. We have other non blocking TE's...we cut the one with the best hands.

Best hands? Not sure about that... I remember a few drops in 2016.... and more double-catches.

Barn was a great story and a great guy. Thanks to a number of circumstances he had a career year in 2015, that, again due to many circumstances, he did not come close to matching in 2016. One side issue was his connect percentage which actually rose in 2016... to 67%.

Did we have a TE with better hands? Small sample size, but yes, we did... Seth. No drops and an 83% connection rate. Time to go with youth...

I wish Barn the best... hope he latches on with a contender... sees the playoffs and even a ring. But he was a one season wonder as a Brown... far from our first... won't be our last.

The whole mentoring thing is overblown. Dogs gonna hunt.

Disagree... there is something to be said for a vet presence "in the room", "on the field"... but it alone is not enough to keep you on a squad.

Can't wait.

Can we like....go through the NBA playoffs, the NHL playoffs, the baseball season, the NFL season, the Winter Olympics, etc. until we start worrying about NEXT year's draft?

Never too early. :P

He can't block, and makes up for that by not being able to catch or run. He has exactly zero discernable skill other than his history of having one great year.

If you think Barnidge represents "talent" in 2017, I don't want to see the women you think have talent.

He can't block, and makes up for that by not being able to catch or run. He has exactly zero discernable skill other than his history of having one great year.

If you think Barnidge represents "talent" in 2017, I don't want to see the women you think have talent.

I think I know to whom you are speaking...

You should know that it went on and on about boinking MKC a day or two ago... in other words... spot on analysis.

The reason the browns cut Barnidge now is out of respect. He's 32 years old and whether you want to admit it or not, he's on the downside of his career. BY releasing him now, it gives him the chance to latch on with another team. Not to mention, doing it as early as possible during the draft, he can choose where he wants to go. I think the browns could have easily traded him for a late round pick to someone, but instead, they gave him enough respect to release him early. NFL is a cut throat business but I feel the browns FO best served both parties in this case. They could have held onto him for weeks or through training camp if they wanted. They let him have options.

Best hands? Not sure about that... I remember a few drops in 2016.... and more double-catches.

He even catches 'em with his butt cheeks and his feet.

Diflippo was the only guy that knew how to use him apparently.

Really? I guess that's why the best music teachers, science teachers, head coaches, surgeons, carpenters, chefs, pilots, are the ones with no experience?

Mentoring is over rated, for sure, but, learning by example is not. This team is fucked up in more ways that you would think are humanly possible,

You didn't list one profession where strength and aggression are the primary traits.

Really? I guess that's why the best music teachers, science teachers, head coaches, surgeons, carpenters, chefs, pilots, are the ones with no experience?

Mentoring is over rated, for sure, but, learning by example is not. This team is fucked up in more ways that you would think are humanly possible,

And lawyers. Trust me on that one.

Archived