THE BROWNS BOARD

Now THIS is how you draft!

domcucch1994

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good draft

I just dont get where the Browns are going QB wise with a Ben, Dalton and Flacco in the division. Cleveland still has the worst QB right now unless Orsewieller really turns it around.

Of those 4 QBs....only two of them took their teams to the playoffs last year....and guess which ones? Hint: remove Flacco and Dalton from your choices.

So...maybe the Browns could be OK.

You never know.

I agree.

We all knew, before this draft, that we weren't going to get all we wanted, but it appears we got 3 players who will be significant contributors this upcoming season and another 1st rounder next year. I chose to look at what we GOT & I like it too. We are building assets without mortgaging our future. That's a good thing.

Mike

Well, we knew we wanted an edge rusher, and a couple of safeties, and a CB, and a TE, and a QB, and a DT and an OLB.

So, we got 3 of those spots in round one...with 2 second rounders to go. I do not think...or hope that a QB is in the cards in round 2. (none worth a second rounder IMO).

So, CB/DT/OLB get 2 out of those 3......and, as Meatloaf said...that ain't bad.

Name a Michigan player we've drafted outside of Braylon

If Peppers turns out as good as Thom Darden...then we are good.

And look: We don't give a damn about the whole fucking state of Michigan. We only care about the fact that he is a member of the Cleveland Browns. So let's concentrate on that and not on the fact that he comes Gooberville U.

He is a Brown.

Nothing more be said.

If Peppers turns out as good as Thom Darden...then we are good.

And look: We don't give a damn about the whole fucking state of Michigan. We only care about the fact that he is a member of the Cleveland Browns. So let's concentrate on that and not on the fact that he comes Gooberville U.

He is a Brown.

Nothing more be said.

I doubt you'd say that if he were from Ohio State.

Name a Michigan player we've drafted outside of Braylon

Besides and since Darden, there's:

• Leroy Hoard (met him Saturday nite at a BrownsBacker bash in Miami last year) and...
  • Steve Everitt... and
  • Derrick Alexander... and
  • (I think) Aaron Shea...

All I got..

OK, we've amassed a ton of draft capital next year. We also passed on a ton of top talent this year, again. Gave up that #33, which I suppose is OK, but if Foster turns into the next Ray Lewis, blown pick, unless Njoku is another Ozzie Newsome.

Sorry if I'm being a negative Nancy. Garrett was a no brainer, but color me unimpressed with the rest of Day one. Do me a favor Sashi, and totally pass on a qb this year.

Color me negative as well but I'm in total agreement ^^^^^. Again, the Browns don't achieve their objectives. Wanted a TE, Howard was there at 12. Wanted a safety, hooker was there at 12. Still no QB. Passed on Wentz, Tribisky, Watson. Passed on Bosa, Foster, etc. How is anyone on this board happy with Peppers and a 1st Rounder next year? How is anyone happy with the trade down, losing out on premium player talent. How is anyone happy with thus shitty draft!

WOW! I don't think i have ever seen a level of just general disgust for very little reason. In fact, I think some people would hate whomever the browns drafted unless it was a qb. Here's my analysis of last night:

1.)They made the smart decision and took MG #1. He's a freak both athletically and on tape. Did he take plays off? yes. Does he pose as an absolute nightmare for offensive lineman in the future? yes. If the only knock against him, is that he takes a few plays off when you are playing 80+ plays a game and teams are scheming with 2 and 3 guys, than that guy is a stud. You take him and he makes your defense so much better. Just think of that line now with Ogbah and MG on the outside. Shelton and Bryant on the inside. Then you have Nassib who profiled much better in a 4-3 defense. This is a no brainer.

2.) when the browns traded down from 12, I admit, I was a little shocked. I really like Jonathan Allen but clearly he's been medically flagged. His own doctor thinks he's a rookie contract only guy. If that's the case he's Daquan Bowers 2.0 and I get it. Hooker has tremendous ball hawking skills and I was surprised he was not the choice. I did like the way he covered the deep part of the field. However, he can't tackle. He's horrible at making tackles and missed a bunch of them plus he played one year and is coming off 2 major surgeries. I can see the reasoning. Thus, when the browns decided to trade down, it's not overly shocking because the rest of the players that came off the board were good players but did not really fit what the browns needed. Adoree Jackson and Humphrey were overdrafted in my opinion. Conley was going to be a tough sell so that is one you have to let go. I will address the draft pick situation later. Peppers was a bit of a surprise. I thought he was a bit overrated when people were talking about him in the top 10. I didn't see it. Jack of trades. master of none. However, this is where the browns are going to let him shine. He is going to be a strong safety. Not a linebacker, not a cb but an in the box safety where he thrives. The thing he does best is tackle. He doesn't miss. He's a football player. That is what I have started to realize as i began watching tape on him this morning. The guy makes the right play based on what he is asked to do. And let's not forget how dynamic he is on ST's. To say that he would be there at 33, I think is wrong. From what I have read, Dallas and Pittsburgh loved him. He's a guy who has talent oozing and will only make himself better. He won't be great at first, but I think he could really end up being special similar to a Collins from NYG. Lots of Troy P. comparisons and i can only hope that is accurate. he would need to add a little more bulk.

3.) The trade back into the first round, I LOVED!!! Ndjoku was the #2 TE on MOST boards and was DEFINITELY NOT GOING to be there at 33. Bleacher report has him as a top 15 player. He is only 20 years old and is an athletic freak. He's a better version of Jimmy Graham. He's not opposed to blocking, he just has not mastered that skill yet as he is still GROWING into his frame. In his film, he showed a willingness to block in a pro style offense. He just needs to work on it. Also, that's his biggest flaw. His route running and hands are considered exceptional for a TE. This is adding a talented FB player to the roster who is going to pay off. Plus, I don't think this means Devalve is gone. In fact, I think this only strengthens what the browns want to do. If you put those two guys out there, plus with coleman and britt on the outside, who's going to cover the middle of the field? a LB? have fun. Ndjoku has pro bowl potential. BTW, Barndige is 32. He's a late bloomer but he is on the downside of his career. It would not surprise me if the browns try to trade him this weekend.

Overall, I very much like what the browns are doing. They are not reaching for a qb in what is considered a weak qb class. Not one of them had a first round grade by multiple analysis. Instead they are building a roster. They are trusting their scouts and not just analytics. Plus, they are adding to the future treasure chest. You want a stud defensive lineman, check. You want a strong safety with return skills, check. You want a playmaker, check...oh yeah, we are still in RND 1!!! Sure they had to pass on some good players, but that's the draft. They are not going to be able to take everyone. You are going to miss on some guys. It happens. Crushing last year's draft after one year is not fair. Give players a chance to develop.

Now, the elephant in the room is qb. At this point, I wait until round 5 or the back end of round 4 to get a qb because I think they are going to be there. But at the same time, they are not going to force the qb. They even said so as much. Ossweiler although terrible last year, is only 26 and was a highly rated FA when he was available that many people wanted. Kessler showed promise and there was talk on this board about him being a future starter. His only downside was his arm strength. You know who sucked his first year and had a questionable arm but elite accuracy, Drew Brees. In fact, SD drafted his replacement and look what happened. Year 3&4 Brees was sensational but was a FA. SD had no choice. I'm not saying Kessler is Brees. but what I am saying is the browns drafted him in the third last year. He got his brains beat in by that awful line (which is now hopefully fixed) and oh by the way, his numbers were not bad. He had a major flaw he needs to work on. Most rookie qb's do. Let's see if he did it and can play. He's always going to be compared to Wentz but IMOP, I think he showed as much promise as Wentz. He just needs to work on going down the field. And if he can't play and Ossweiler is not much better, than in 2018 the qb free agents are potentially (some will be tagged) Cousins, Stafford, Garrapolo, Bradford, Carr, Bridgewater...You know what you have to give up to get them? cap space which you still have oodles of. Even if they are tagged and you have to give up a first and a second round pick? ok. They have 5 in the first 2 rounds again!!! But, Bigalow80, they will never win without a qb!!! How can you make these statements? This is going to be the excuse. They will never win a SB without a qb. agreed. But this team is poised to make huge strides and start winning games. They are going to be better than people think (i'm calling 7-9). Wouldn't you rather have a team that is built to win and then drop in a very good rookie qb or a coveted FA Qb on team? I specifically remember a team doing that...who was that? oh yeah, Pittsburgh and Baltimore and Seattle. Yes, I'm a next day draft has made everything better kind of guy, but I really think this FO is doing it correctly and actually building a solid roster, adding to their assets, and correctly spending their cap space. Finally, let's not rule out the possibility of the browns still trading for JG this year. It is still a possibility. If they have to give up a 2nd this year, and 2 more 2nds next year, would people still think this is a bad draft?

Mike Silver reported that the Browns and Texans had the deal in place before the draft if Watson was still on the board at 12. He reported that the Browns were on "pins & needles" waiting while Peppers was still on the board, and once they new they had him, they were extremely thrilled with the end result.

He did say - but not in so many words, that had Watson been gone by 12, then the Browns would've gone with Hooker.

Mike Silver reported that the Browns and Texans had the deal in place before the draft if Watson was still on the board at 12. He reported that the Browns were on "pins & needles" waiting while Peppers was still on the board, and once they new they had him, they were extremely thrilled with the end result.

He did say - but not in so many words, that had Watson of been gone by 12, then the Browns would've gone with Hooker.

My biggest bitch is I feel like we got fleeced on the move down 13 spots.

I'm not thrilled with the pick at #25, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong . . . they don't have the best Track record though.

I'm not thrilled with the pick at #25, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong . . . they don't have the best Track record though.

I don't think 'we got fleeced' when the deal is compared to the usual and customary compensation, it's only when compared to the ass rape that SF did to D'uh Bears that it looks deficient.

As for Peppers, man I think this kid is going to be a fan favorite by Halloween.

I don't think 'we got fleeced' when the deal is compared to the usual and customary compensation, it's only when compared to the ass rape that SF did to D'uh Bears that it looks deficient.

As for Peppers, man I think this kid is going to be a fan favorite by Halloween.

Heard a clip with him, sounds like he has the drive and fire to be good, just hope he has the skills.

I was disappointed with the trade "haul" at first as well. HOWEVER, with further thought and reflection, I have come to the following conclusions:

I do not think the Texans have a very good chance of repeating as AFC South Champs. The standings last year were Texans (9-7, won division on tiebreaker), Titans (9-7), Colts (8-8).

- The Titans have added 2 1st rounders and will be an improved team with Mariota having yet another year of experience under his belt. I think the Titans win the AFC South at 10-6.

- The Colts will be very good competitors as well. Luck was coming off a shoulder injury last year and they had numerous injuries that slowed the offense down throughout the year. I have them going 9-7.

- As division winners, the Texans now have to play all the other division winners, thus they have a tougher SOS. A rookie QB in Watson, who will likely not beat out Tom Savage for the starting spot, isn't helping the best D in the NFL (by numbers) anytime soon. They went 9-7 without Tom Savage and I don't expect them to get better with him. 8-8 is their projection.

8-8 teams draft in the mid-teens, so, if these projections hold (a big IF), we swapped #12 for #25 and, say, #16 next year. Once I viewed it in this light, it looks to be a huge steal on our end. Obviously who wins this trade depends on how the Texans perform next year, but I can't see their pick being any worse than low 20s. At that point, it's probably a tie, but I'll still take it.

It's Sam Darnold! Not only will we have to give up Both 1's next year...We'll have to throw in 2019 as well.

This kid is the real deal...Take the time to check out the video on him ,then compare with Trubisky....The difference jumps out at you!!

He is the reason this FO is stock piling picks and sure as shit there are a dozen things that can go completely wrong with this strategy ,but the sample size I've seen so far (About the same as Trubisky) I believe it's worth the attempt to make it happen.

No need to give up picks for Darnold, as the Browns may be drafting #1 again next year. :) And if the Jets are sitting in the pole position, they're not trading out of it.

Here's our new mantra, you heard it here first:

SUCK FOR SAM

He did say - but not in so many words, that had Watson been gone by 12, then the Browns would've gone with Hooker.

They probably cooked this up back when they traded for Osweiler.

Let's face it....for the Browns....Trubisky was the man they wanted at QB. But no, they didn't want to use #1 on him....but I suspect if he was still there at #5 they would have tried to move heaven and earth to make that trade.

But, bottom line: Browns clearly wanted no part of Watson

I was disappointed with the trade "haul" at first as well. HOWEVER, with further thought and reflection, I have come to the following conclusions:

I do not think the Texans have a very good chance of repeating as AFC South Champs. The standings last year were Texans (9-7, won division on tiebreaker), Titans (9-7), Colts (8-8).

- The Titans have added 2 1st rounders and will be an improved team with Mariota having yet another year of experience under his belt. I think the Titans win the AFC South at 10-6.

- The Colts will be very good competitors as well. Luck was coming off a shoulder injury last year and they had numerous injuries that slowed the offense down throughout the year. I have them going 9-7.

- As division winners, the Texans now have to play all the other division winners, thus they have a tougher SOS. A rookie QB in Watson, who will likely not beat out Tom Savage for the starting spot, isn't helping the best D in the NFL (by numbers) anytime soon. They went 9-7 without Tom Savage and I don't expect them to get better with him. 8-8 is their projection.

8-8 teams draft in the mid-teens, so, if these projections hold (a big IF), we swapped #12 for #25 and, say, #16 next year. Once I viewed it in this light, it looks to be a huge steal on our end. Obviously who wins this trade depends on how the Texans perform next year, but I can't see their pick being any worse than low 20s. At that point, it's probably a tie, but I'll still take it.

Good points. In fact, I think it may even be higher. I say they get up to the 10 or 12 range.

Of course, Browns play them in a game a lot of us may be going to. Browns can help their cause by whipping some DAT ass.

3.) The trade back into the first round, I LOVED!!! Ndjoku was the #2 TE on MOST boards and was DEFINITELY NOT GOING to be there at 33. Bleacher report has him as a top 15 player. He is only 20 years old and is an athletic freak. He's a better version of Jimmy Graham. He's not opposed to blocking, he just has not mastered that skill yet as he is still GROWING into his frame. In his film, he showed a willingness to block in a pro style offense. He just needs to work on it. Also, that's his biggest flaw. His route running and hands are considered exceptional for a TE. This is adding a talented FB player to the roster who is going to pay off. Plus, I don't think this means Devalve is gone. In fact, I think this only strengthens what the browns want to do. If you put those two guys out there, plus with coleman and britt on the outside, who's going to cover the middle of the field? a LB? have fun. Ndjoku has pro bowl potential. BTW, Barndige is 32. He's a late bloomer but he is on the downside of his career. It would not surprise me if the browns try to trade him this weekend.

Lots to like about Njoku. He's an exceptional athlete with the physique of an action figure, but I am wondering who told you he has exceptional hands? 11% drop rate falls short of exceptional in my book.

They probably cooked this up back when they traded for Osweiler.

Let's face it....for the Browns....Trubisky was the man they wanted at QB. But no, they didn't want to use #1 on him....but I suspect if he was still there at #5 they would have tried to move heaven and earth to make that trade.

But, bottom line: Browns clearly wanted no part of Watson

I think it comes down to the Fast Ball test (indicative of arm strength).

Trubiski has a 55 MPH Fast Ball.

Watson has a 49 MPH Fast Ball.

This can be some what be seen in as Watson is having to put a tad extra in his throws so his accuracy drops a bit - still a decent QB but size/play style leans more to a RG III style (shorter shelf life).

Interestingly, Kessler has a 55 MPH Fast Ball . . . but with no OL you all know what we end up with.

Gip, I know you're aware of this, this is more for others benefit and your post was a good place to address it.

Ok no comments on the fact that we traded out of the top of the 2nd round ?? What did we get for that?

I am getting more and more dissapointed.. Its like they are already throwing this season out again, in favor of a big move next year.... We are now half way down in the 2nd round. 1st pick in the 3rd and then nothing in the 4th and 3 in the 5th round..

So it looks like we gave up the top of the 2nd round to gain a 3rd round?? I just don't get what they are doing... I am getting more and more frustrated by the minute... I was very optomistic coming out of last year believe it or not... But they seem to be "saving' it for something..

Bobpound!

Ok no comments on the fact that we traded out of the top of the 2nd round ?? What did we get for that?

I am getting more and more dissapointed.. Its like they are already throwing this season out again, in favor of a big move next year.... We are now half way down in the 2nd round. 1st pick in the 3rd and then nothing in the 4th and 3 in the 5th round..

So it looks like we gave up the top of the 2nd round to gain a 3rd round?? I just don't get what they are doing... I am getting more and more frustrated by the minute... I was very optomistic coming out of last year believe it or not... But they seem to be "saving' it for something..

Bobpound!

Ummm, we got our 3rd 1st rounder last night, TE Njoku?? Damn, it they trade back people complain, trade up and people complain, stay pat and get their guy, and you guessed it, people complain.

Bobpound!

Well, for one we moved up to the 1st with that second.

Also, 1st Round picks have a 5th year option on their Contracts that can save the Team some $.

So if the Player is turning out to be a Star it can be a good move for the Team to take that 5th year Option.

Archived