THE BROWNS BOARD

Kamp Kizer

Zombo

There ya go... Seriously, check out the "30 Exercises..." book: https://www.amazon.c...a/dp/B0027BFDES

It's all about flexibility and golf-functional strength. It's one of the three indispensable golf books on my shelf alongside the classic Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and Toski-Flick's How to Become a Complete Golfer.

One last question/thought... Anything aching after a round or a day or two after? Muscle or joint... big or barely noticeable... can provide a clue about what has changed. It's a feedback mechanism for positive changes as well.

Maybe this thread should go to the Barber Shop if you all are going to talk golf swings.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing weight and mass, I guess.

I've dropped about 8 strokes over the past month and a half. It's pretty awful. Granted, that's only going from low 80's to high 80's but it's still annoying.

It's why I quit golf for good- years ago. Too frustrating, yeah- I'm the guy who would wrap steel shaft clubs around trees. Hit a nice drive with my putter once I was so POed. You break 100, you want to break 90. Break 90 you want to break 80. Break 80 you start thinking par. Moi? Usually shooting well on the high side of 100, went out for a quick 9 with my pal- who could spot me a stroke a hole and still beat me. Hit the first two par fours in regulation, and was even after three. Ended up shooting a 39. Got back to the car, tossed my clubs in the trunk and told Don- "that's it, I quit, I'm going out on top" Meant it too. I've only hit golf balls twice since then- and that was 40 years ago.

Maybe this thread should go to the Barber Shop if you all are going to talk golf swings.

Hey- Kizer is only slightly more relevant than golf swings. Maybe the monkey with the babes should be moved to the Cheerleader thread. :)

There ya go... Seriously, check out the "30 Exercises..." book: https://www.amazon.c...a/dp/B0027BFDES

It's all about flexibility and golf-functional strength. It's one of the three indispensable golf books on my shelf alongside the classic Ben Hogan's Five Lessons and Toski-Flick's How to Become a Complete Golfer.

One last question/thought... Anything aching after a round or a day or two after? Muscle or joint... big or barely noticeable... can provide a clue about what has changed. It's a feedback mechanism for positive changes as well.

To be honest, I've been tweaking my swing recently so that's where it's likely coming from.

I'm still relatively new to the game (about 1- 1.5 years of semi-consistent playing) and I'm a long baller who's trying to hem it in a bit. I'll average 320+ with my driver in any given round.... but also around 50% fairways hit on most days. I've been working on shortening my backswing and changing my tempo, I have a habit of going past parallel and breaking my wrist at the top of my backswing, which apparently is a no-no.

As for the aching...everything is aching all the time. I'm trying this new fangled "jogging" thing and my entire body is in a constant state of misery. They tell me that's natural.

To be honest, I've been tweaking my swing recently so that's where it's likely coming from.

I'm still relatively new to the game (about 1- 1.5 years of semi-consistent playing) and I'm a long baller who's trying to hem it in a bit. I'll average 320+ with my driver in any given round.... but also around 50% fairways hit on most days. I've been working on shortening my backswing and changing my tempo, I have a habit of going past parallel and breaking my wrist at the top of my backswing, which apparently is a no-no.

As for the aching...everything is aching all the time. I'm trying this new fangled "jogging" thing and my entire body is in a constant state of misery. They tell me that's natural.

The biggest great change I ever made playing golf is when I finally let the club do the work. Assuming you got a good set of clubs, nowadays those mofos make it all about form and consistency. Once I realized it was better to hit 245 straight cheddar and trust the club as opposed to 275 in the rough made golf so much better for me.

Granted, I still hate the game though but I get sucked in living in FL a fair amount of times. I just can't stand how douchey 90% of the people who play are.

lol... fuck heel-first jogging... get back to running on the balls of your feet. Your knees will thank you...

I had/have the exact same issue with swing length and breaking down at the top. "Short and sweet" is the only swing thought I take to the 1st tee with me.

Spend range time hitting nothing but 3/4-punch shots. You'll be amazed at two things:

- how much more control you achieve without sacrificing much distance; and

- how as you warm up your swing gets longer without you realizing it.

For detecting the latter a friend or a smart-phone are needed.

But best advice for a still new to the game player... find a good pro.

Didn't we have a strong armed QB with bad decision making once before?

Weeden-face_20131014053844_320_240.JPG

Strong arms and dim wits rarely make for a winning QB.

We don't want a dim-witted QB of any arm strength. No one does. Ever.

What makes you think Kizer is dim-witted?

You take a look at every successful QB in the NFL, and tell me if they were making a good deal of poor decisions on the field when they were 20.

This guys has all the raw material just needs some top coaching,

The Weeden comparison only makes you look bad. Weeden was almost a decade older and looked so stupid that you didn't need a test to find out.

weeden-262x300.jpgDeShone-Kizer-and-Lexi-Galernik.jpg

lol... fuck heel-first jogging... get back to running on the balls of your feet. Your knees will thank you...

I had/have the exact same issue with swing length and breaking down at the top. "Short and sweet" is the only swing thought I take to the 1st tee with me.

Spend range time hitting nothing but 3/4-punch shots. You'll be amazed at two things:

- how much more control you achieve without sacrificing much distance; and

- how as you warm up your swing gets longer without you realizing it.

For detecting the latter a friend or a smart-phone are needed.

But best advice for a still new to the game player... find a good pro.

I'll keep that in mind. Probably hit the range tonight. Best (or worst) thing I ever did was move to a place that has a nice range a mile from my front door.

I figure I'll plateau here shortly, then it may be time to start looking to some paid help. As of right now, it's just an expensive habit that makes me hate myself for five hours a day every weekend.

So ... the "NFL sources" have put out the word that the Patriots are not trading the guy I have wanted all along ... Jimmy Garappolo ... and it could be a smokescreen, a gimmick to up the ante, and all that ... but let's just say the Browns don't acquire a starting QB in free agency or trade ... who's your draft guy?

Mine is DeShone Kizer. Perfect size, excellent mobility, big arm, throws a beautiful deep ball.

THIS is a guy that Hugh Jackson can turn into a stud.

If we go draft, do we keep RG3 around for another year, or do we cut bait and go totally inexperienced with Kessler and Kizer? Not sure, as I am not an RG3 fan. I think I'd rather start the season Kessler, Kizer, veteran third string dude and get rid of RG3.

So how do we get him? You take Garrett #1. Then you gotta read the tea leaves ... if he's going to be there at #12 then wait and pounce, if you think he's gone earlier ... Trade up.

90% of you are going to hate this, especially the last part, but I truly believe he is the best QB prospect in the draft, and if we settle for less than best, we're not doing it right.

Zombo

Great post Zombo! I totally agree about Garappolo and your point about taking Garrett at #1 and reading the tea leaves about #12.

I also thoroughly enjoyed your defense of this black QB later in this thread. Yeah, all of a sudden, there can never be another Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Russell Wilson or Daunte Culpepper - just RG4... Along the same line, ND can never have another Joe Montana - only Brady Quinn (who was hailed as "pro ready" and much more "pro ready than Montana was once upon a time")

I'm not a big fan of any of the QBs in round 1 in this draft class. Our unfortunate QB situation has no bearing on how good these guys are today or what they project moving forward. That being said, Whitehurst, McCown, Kessler couldn't survive starts (and more than once in some cases). Having 2 first year starters at WR didn't help our situation. I think it's time we aim to make this an easier place to play QB in a year many think there aren't any true first round prospects (beyond a disappointing supply for a big demand creating some beneficiaries).

People complain about overthinking - drafting a "he might be good in 2-3 years" with a 1st and and/or 12th pick overall does just that IMO. If Chicago ends up with Jimmy the Greek - I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back a vet like Hoyer to work with whatever QB we take after round 1. He got us off to a 7-4 start in 2014 and he had one of the best winning percentages we saw from a QB here on this side of 1999. Canton Mike told me Derron Cherry mentioned this on the radio so I gotta give him credit for that line of thought. I don't see a gigantic difference between taking Davis Webb and any of the guys that go in round 1 except that he's a much lower risk than a QB at #1 or #12 overall.

Oops, typo....corrected.

Funny story though.....when I was age 62....I measured out at 6'2". But...sometime when I was 63 yrs. old....I measured 6'3". I legitimately grew an inch at age 63.

Probably all that time upside down in your Teeter Hang Up

• 3 weeks later...

Stat of the day...

Deshone Kizer passing splits with play action:

• 154.7 (No. 1 in college football)
  • no play action: 85.5 (No. 62)

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/844526368197165056?s=09

So is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Stat of the day...

Depends on what Hue wants to do. They may have the o-line now to make a RB a real threat. Did Hue use a lot of PA in Cincy?

Stat of the day...

OK, what do you mean by a "passing split"? And how are those number you gave measured? Is this "passer rating"?

My take...

PA creates margin for error. Kizer's "error" is his slow release... he needs the time/space PA creates to be effective.

I wonder if there's a YAC stat for PA completions? If I'm on track here, I would think his result would not be near the top due to his slower delivery giving the 2ndary recovery time.

My take...

PA creates margin for error. Kizer's "error" is his slow release... he needs the time/space PA creates to be effective.

I wonder if there's a YAC stat for PA completions? If I'm on track here, I would think his result would not be near the top due to his slower delivery giving the 2ndary recovery time.

Does he play better with PA because defenses are playing run more often than not ? Are defenses playing run because the ND run game is effective? Is the ND run game effective because they have to respect Kizer's arm? Or are defenses playing run because they don't have to respect the pass, and do they not have to respect the pass because they don't respect Kizer's arm?

It's too hard to define causal relationships in this scenario, but I'd put my money on the fact that Kizer's running ability is what makes him effective in PA. Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily traditional PA, this is all PA...including read option and RPO.

On any given play, two of the three possible outcomes are run. Defenses simply have to play closer. I'd love to see stats on more "traditional" PA.

I still love Kizer and would very much enjoy it if we picked him.

... I'd put my money on the fact that Kizer's running ability is what makes him effective in PA.

Isn't the end result the same regardless of the player who ends up running with the ball? Namely freezing LBs, and if they are peeking DBs, so they can't drop into their zones or lose a step or two on their man.

Isn't the end result the same regardless of the player who ends up running with the ball? Namely freezing LBs, and if they are peeking DBs, so they can't drop into their zones or lose a step or two on their man.

It's more drastic in a read option system with a sidecar RB, as you have to freeze an extra half second even after the PA.

You're asking LB's not only to find the ball past the mesh point, but now to discern whether the QB is also running it even if the RB doesn't take it.

The end result is the same, but a read option creates an even longer delay in LBers dropping back as the QB "rides" the RB, which in turn creates even softer zones.

It's what makes a QB who can actually run, throw and read defenses so coveted.

The end result is the same, but a read option creates an even longer delay in LBers dropping back as the QB "rides" the RB, which in turn creates even softer zones.

So my theory is correct? ;)

I have to admit, I haven't watched TOO much of Kizer, but what I DID watch, I didn't care for. The problem for me is whether or not his play was a result of bad coaching and scheme, or if HE was the reason for the poor season. All that aside, my main concern is that I read several places that Kizer holds the ball and doesn't get it out quickly. That scares me to death. Now, if we can get Kizer at the end of the first round (trade up), or even in the second round, I'd be cool with that. As it stands now, I think Mitch is my number 1, and Watson is my number 2.

Archived