THE BROWNS BOARD

Kamp Kizer

Zombo

So ... the "NFL sources" have put out the word that the Patriots are not trading the guy I have wanted all along ... Jimmy Garappolo ... and it could be a smokescreen, a gimmick to up the ante, and all that ... but let's just say the Browns don't acquire a starting QB in free agency or trade ... who's your draft guy?

Mine is DeShone Kizer. Perfect size, excellent mobility, big arm, throws a beautiful deep ball.

THIS is a guy that Hugh Jackson can turn into a stud.

If we go draft, do we keep RG3 around for another year, or do we cut bait and go totally inexperienced with Kessler and Kizer? Not sure, as I am not an RG3 fan. I think I'd rather start the season Kessler, Kizer, veteran third string dude and get rid of RG3.

So how do we get him? You take Garrett #1. Then you gotta read the tea leaves ... if he's going to be there at #12 then wait and pounce, if you think he's gone earlier ... Trade up.

90% of you are going to hate this, especially the last part, but I truly believe he is the best QB prospect in the draft, and if we settle for less than best, we're not doing it right.

Zombo

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ND fan here. Watched every Kizer game. The guy isn't very good. He won't be in the NFL for very long. Hate to break it to you... .bad decisions, bad arm. He is mobile, but sometimes would get afraid to take off and run. Does not compare to Watson at all.

Thank you, Rooster Dick.

He does not have a bad arm, it is well known that he's got a strong arm.

Bad decision-making? Maybe, probably. That's a lot of young QBs. They don't look like Tom Brady when they are 20. Lord knows Tom Brady didn't. But lots to work with here.

Zombo

RG4

I get it. They share a skin color.

Different size, different style, different program, different everything ... but they're black and they can run fast.

Zombo

I like alot of things about Kizer but he doesn't know how to put touch on the ball. It's like he tries to show how hard he can throw with every throw.

Trubisky is the best quarterback prospect in this draft class but I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd round.

I think Kessler needs to be our guy this year and build this team up for our guy next year. I seriously think we could be a boarder line playoff team if we do the right things this offseason. So no need to reach on a quarterback

I like alot of things about Kizer but he doesn't know how to put touch on the ball. It's like he tries to show how hard he can throw with every throw.

Trubisky is the best quarterback prospect in this draft class but I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd round.

I think Kessler needs to be our guy this year and build this team up for our guy next year. I seriously think we could be a boarder line playoff team if we do the right things this offseason. So no need to reach on a quarterback

This is a reasonable post.

But I don't see us going into year three of the Hugh Jack era without "the guy". The guy will be found this year. Otherwise, next year he could be drafting for the next coach already, and none of us want that.

We are bringing in a #1 draft pick, or a coveted vet in trade/free agency this year. Now. Bank it.

Zombo

There is some really good talent in this draft I'll be really disappointed if we reach for a quarterback.

Here's a name that no one talks about that could be a really interesting developmental project.

Patrick Towles from BC. 6'5" 250lbs with really good athleticism and a strong arm. When he's on he can make plays but when he's bad it gets ugly in a hurry. If Hue can coach up his mechanics and get him more consistent he has potential. There not much of a drop off in terms of talent between him and Kizer but we could get him late if not an udfa

This is a reasonable post.

But I don't see us going into year three of the Hugh Jack era without "the guy". The guy will be found this year. Otherwise, next year he could be drafting for the next coach already, and none of us want that.

We are bringing in a #1 draft pick, or a coveted vet in trade/free agency this year. Now. Bank it.

Zombo

I guess the issue is was his last season a product of having a crappy team around him or a product of him being "figured out" by the other college teams and he's just not that good.

I think I'm leaning towards camp Watson but I have really no clue about any of these guys.

Thank you, Rooster Dick.

Bad decision-making? Maybe, probably. That's a lot of young QBs. They don't look like Tom Brady when they are 20. Lord knows Tom Brady didn't. But lots to work with here.

Zombo

Anyone who would write Kizer has a bad arm has no fucking clue what they're talking about. His biggest strength BY FAR is his arm talent and ability to make throws. His weaknesses are in other areas and are IMO pronounced but that's the one place you can't even remotely ding him. I guess he wasn't watching the games that closely.

Well, you know my opinion: Trubisky

Has everything Kizer has and much more:

Good size 6'2 1/2

Strong arm

Excellent deep ball

Excellent touch when needed

Good mobility

Poise

Good at reading defenses. Good with his progressions.

Marino like release

ONLY thing anyone has ever said:

McShay: he has the entire package but he has only played limited games

Mayock: essentially the same thing

Kiper: Comparable to Matt Ryan.

NFL Draft Advisor Council: best QB available

MMQB: Best QB available.

Again...only knock...limited experience.

Good size 6'6 1/2

Strong arm

Excellent deep ball

Good mobility

Poise

Marino like release

It's a legitimate and big knock on him. Doesn't mean he won't turn out great but it is a concern.

Good size 6'6 1/2

Strong arm

Excellent deep ball

Good mobility

Poise

Marino like release

Did he grow 4 1/2 inches this morning?

Z

It's a legitimate and big knock on him. Doesn't mean he won't turn out great but it is a concern.

If the talent is there...then the experience level should not really be an impediment. I mean, Brandon Weeden, Chris Weinke....any number of other players had tons of experience. It didn't help them overcome their level of suckage.

And I know...people hate comparisons to players in other sports....but lack of experience didn't hurt Kobe and LeBron when they came into the NBA out of high school. It is just a fact that talent can overcome.

Well, according to the combine measurements, Kizer is the easy choice....

Mitch Trubisky: 6'2 1/8", 9 1/2" hands
DeShaun Watson: 6’2 1/2, 9 3/4” hands
Pat Mahomes: 6’2, 9 1/4” hands
DeShone Kizer: 6’4 1/4, 9 7/8” hands
Now, if he wears a helmet and cranks some kool music during his pro day, the NFL universe might just shit itself.

Now, if he wears a helmet and cranks some kool music during his pro day, the NFL universe might just shit itself.

wow yep he's pretty big wish he could play QB

If tall with big hands is all we are really looking for then let's go sign Yao Ming to play QB.

Thank you, Rooster Dick.

Zombo

Other than the bad arm comment, I'm with Rooster. A rocket arm with no brain guiding it nets you a Brandon Wee-done or a Jeff George. I won't hold Kizer guilty to the flops of the other ND bums Quinn and Clausen pickle, but I have an aversion to Golden Domers. Plus, I have to trust my own eyes. The times I've watched Kaiser he's pretty much sucked.

Trubisky or bust. No interest in Watson or Kizer. If we're going developmental, give me Mahomes.

Other than the bad arm comment, I'm with Rooster. A rocket arm with no brain guiding it nets you a Brandon Wee-done or a Jeff George. I won't hold Kizer guilty to the flops of the other ND bums Quinn and Clausen pickle, but I have an aversion to Golden Domers. Plus, I have to trust my own eyes. The times I've watched Kaiser he's pretty much sucked.

Trubisky or bust. No interest in Watson or Kizer. If we're going developmental, give me Mahomes.

Ok, his "brains" are considered an asset, so we'll bypass that.

We'll bypass the personal Notre Dame thing, doesn't mean a damn thing.

You say you've watched him and he "sucked". OK. I'll respect that.

The one time I watched Trub he kinda sucked too.

Kizer looked like the big classic pocket passer to me, with ideal size and mobility to boot.

His problem has been inconsistency, that is a tag on Trub too.

Watson seems like the "safe" pick, Kizer seems the most pro-ready and best athlete, Trub has a tantalizing arm and a high ceiling.

I ain't going with the safe guy. And from what I've seen and read of Kizer and Trub, I am significantly more impressed with Kizer as pro prospect.

So ... you go ahead and go "Trub or Bust" ... I'm going to respectfully disagree, Kizer is easily at the top of the three for me, but I could see the Browns liking any of them.

Zombo

Not sure why yet another QB thread has to be turned into a Trubs debate, but whatever...

On Kizer...

I was in this "Kamp" early. My basis was a holdover memory of Kizer's 2015 play. In the little I saw in 2016 there was no drop off that I could not attribute to inferior talent around him. Then I broke down his tape and promptly folded my tent.

His release is too slow. His wandering throwing motion is too elongated. It's not even close to being adequate. For a comparison I needed to look no further than Josh McCown. In the end it will render every positive attribute he has, or develops, moot.

And no, it cannot be fixed...

Archived