THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gipper's Guide to America

The Gipper

It's definitely on the bucket list for sure. The lady is more of the theme park nut than I, but I still enjoy it. Still, it means she basically picks which we go to (once I remind her the NYC to Cleveland to Washington is not doable).

Another friend of ours is moving to Montreal, so might try to combine that.

DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

It's not 8 hours, more like 4 hours. I used to drive to a Japanese shopping mall in NJ right across the Hudson from Manhattan. Could see the World Trade Centers. It was a 4 hour drive from Alexandria, VA.

DC, yep. 8 hour drive, really? I had a quick look at google maps and it said around 3-4 hours?

A friend is getting married in DC, so we figured since both of us want to go see new york at some point we'd do both, but if it's going to take forever to get from one to the other maybe not.

That being said, there's a strong chance we'll be stopping in NJ to visit a six flags or something.

It would be 4 hours if you didn't have to deal with crazy traffic. But you might have to, so that could double the time.

Well it's all booked. Found some relatively cheap places around, used Hotwire to save some bucks.

Also mostly planned for next year to visit NYC/Washington (for a wedding). Also planning another holiday out to Hawaii. Haven't been to the US in over 20 years, now looking to go three times in the space of 12 months.

About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.

About Hawaii, when are you going, and have you booked anything yet. I might have some good options available to me that you could take advantage of...in terms of accommodations.

It'll be around next autumn. Not sure where yet though.

It'll be around next autumn. Not sure where yet though.

Well, your choices are basically Oahu, Maui, ,the Big Island and Kauai. I have been to the first three plus Molokai, but not to Kauai, yet. How many in your party? I can get you into a condo for about 1K$ per week...if you are interested. Minimally you will want to probably stay for 2 weeks, fair to say?

• 3 weeks later...

So flights are booked and we're doing Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon (north and south) and a few other little stops, end of september, early october. Flights are booked. Hooray. But, it seems we're missing a trick with the hotels/motels - looking around the area, every place within about an hour of each park is like $150-200, even places like Motel 6, places that basically have just a bed and a bathroom. What's the deal? Do prices go drastically down as you approach the date? Do we need to look further away? What gives?

Have you gone yet? Or what is date of departure?

Have you gone yet? Or what is date of departure?

We fly out two weeks today. Flying in to vegas, and then driving straight out again. Side note - we've booked with Delta, any good?

Also a couple of questions:

How do ATMs work over there? I have a prepaid travel card but it doesn't have chip and pin, so how can I get cash out, from a bank?

Where's a good supermarket to go get fresh food (fruit/veg etc)? 7-11? Walmart? Target? I honestly have no idea.

And in that area, what's good and local? Avocados maybe? Again, no idea here.

We fly out two weeks today. Flying in to vegas, and then driving straight out again. Side note - we've booked with Delta, any good?

Sure, fine.

Also a couple of questions:

How do ATMs work over there? I have a prepaid travel card but it doesn't have chip and pin, so how can I get cash out, from a bank?

Good question, I am honestly not sure. SHouldn't you just use it like a credit card?

Where's a good supermarket to go get fresh food (fruit/veg etc)? 7-11? Walmart? Target? I honestly have no idea.

Walmart would be fine. I don't know if Target carries fresh produce. The one near me does not. The other thing you can do is to just google "grocery stores" or Produce markets near whatever town you will be in. I have no doubt that you will be able to find some organic markets nearby.

And in that area, what's good and local? Avocados maybe? Again, no idea here.

You can probably get just about anything you want. Or, just go to those local stores and see what they have that interests you.

Have you set your itinerary?

Not 100% set the itinerary, but it largely looks like:

Land in Vegas

4-5 days in Zion

1-2 days in Grand Canyon North

3 days in Bryce Canyon

2-3 days in Moab

2-3 days around Page

A couple of days in grand canyon south rim and flying home.

Trying to finalise the actually day to day itinerary - I hate faffing on the morning trying to decide what we're going to do today.

On ATMs we have used the ATMs rarely that are in some ABC stores (and they are really nice and everywhere in Waikiki and elsewhere ). I prefer those as it's more private, over the ones that are right out in the public for all to see. Anyway some did charge a fee for those machines years back, but it was small, maybe $2.

For stateside I'd call your issuing bank to check on details . My brother is touring Canada now and found some big surprises on banks, calling cards, cell usage and more.

I prefer charge cards for most things .

Not 100% set the itinerary, but it largely looks like:

Land in Vegas

4-5 days in Zion

1-2 days in Grand Canyon North

3 days in Bryce Canyon

2-3 days in Moab

2-3 days around Page

A couple of days in grand canyon south rim and flying home.

Trying to finalise the actually day to day itinerary - I hate faffing on the morning trying to decide what we're going to do today.

The times you are spending in each spot will give you more than enough to explore each of them fully. Plus you should also have time to explore some of the lesser known attractions in that area. Cedar Breaks, Pink Sand Dunes, Goblin St. Park, PIpestem, Snow Canyon, The Escalante, Capitol Reef, Rainbow Bridge. And if you get a chance, again, try to check out Sedona. You will be happy if you do and you will regret it if you don't.

Best Architecture, Home Residence: Taliesin West, Scottsdale AZ (Frank Lloyd Wright), Winchester Mystery House, San Jose CA

I have since been to Falling Waters, and it certainly take home a blue ribbon.

MANY years back the wife and I took a trip to Uniontown, PA and took an impromptu unplanned trip to all the sites in the Mt. Washington/Ft. Neccesity area it was quite fun -but- I kept seeing the Falling Water signs and being a Frank Lloyd Wright fan wanted to see it but we just ran out of time.

We drove back in the fall through beautiful Scenery, PA and up through northern WVA but I've always regretted not seeing Falling Water.....before the major safety renovations.

MANY years back the wife and I took a trip to Uniontown, PA and took an impromptu unplanned trip to all the sites in the Mt. Washington/Ft. Neccesity area it was quite fun -but- I kept seeing the Falling Water signs and being a Frank Lloyd Wright fan wanted to see it but we just ran out of time.

We drove back in the fall through beautiful Scenery, PA and up through northern WVA but I've always regretted not seeing Falling Water.....before the major safety renovations.

I don't know what major safety renovations they may have made.....but whatever they did did not take away from the auspiciousness of the place....at least from what I can tell.

I don't know what major safety renovations they may have made.....but whatever they did did not take away from the auspiciousness of the place....at least from what I can tell.

http://old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20011208lowry1208fnp3.asp

I saw this on PBS, it was quite interesting.

....Analysis showed that the living room cantilever supports not only itself but the one above it -- the master terrace that leads from the master bedroom and rests on the living room's steel window frames. To stop the deflection, Silman determined there was only one pragmatic solution: Strengthen three of the four concrete beams under the living room with a post-tensioning system that will hold them tautly in place. High-strength steel cables will be added along each side of the beams, with one end anchored in new concrete blocks attached to the beams and the other end fed through a hole drilled through the outside wall of the living room.

Hydraulic jacks will gradually tighten the cables and then permanently anchor them, stopping the deflection. The engineers won't try to correct it; at this point that would only cause more problems. Just as importantly, the deflection will continue to tell, at a glance, the 20th-century history of the house.

In addition to making other structural repairs, workers also are waterproofing the flat-roofed house. Water damage is especially evident in the guest bathroom, where the cork walls are stained and concrete is spalling.

The house that cost $155,000 to build will take $11.5 million to restore, a figure that also includes water treatment, sewage and landscape improvements to be done over the next few years. Restoration of the house will be completed next year......

Chris, as long as it isn't United!

WSS

My somewhat "bad" experience was with Frontier. I have flown mostly Delta and United and that has been OK generally. I mean, you get treated like a piece of luggage no matter which airline you go with. Fees for luggage, no free real food anymore (pretzels and pop...which sometimes they make you pay for), cramped seating. But Frontier was just worse.

OK so what the fuck is the deal with the different time zones between Utah, Arizona, Navajo etc. Seriously, wtf. We have a tour booked that says like "11am (Arizona Time, Pacific Daylight Time)" and then "all our times are quoted in Mountain Standard Time"

So I google to check and they are different times. So which is it? MST is clearly different to PDT and yet they're completely ignoring that. Does anyone have a clue what the answer is?

OK so what the fuck is the deal with the different time zones between Utah, Arizona, Navajo etc. Seriously, wtf. We have a tour booked that says like "11am (Arizona Time, Pacific Daylight Time)" and then "all our times are quoted in Mountain Standard Time"

So I google to check and they are different times. So which is it? MST is clearly different to PDT and yet they're completely ignoring that. Does anyone have a clue what the answer is?

Ah! I guess you should have been warned about that. The state of Arizona does not change when the rest of the nation does.....except on the Navajo reservation. So, yes, while they are in the mountain time zone, for part of the year they have the same time as the Pacific time zone, and for part of the year they have the same as the Mountain Time Zone. Just be careful with it.

You have a Retard country in some ways.

What we have are 50 states that set their own rules and laws about various things......and actually more than that because as you may be aware by now, the Indian reservations also have their own set of rules and laws that may vary even from the state in which they are located.

Its why you have sports gambling and prostitution legal in Nevada....but nothing of the sort in neighboring Utah where you can't even buy a lottery ticket. It is why you have time zone differences such as the ones you have experienced. It is why you have some states that have not had the death penalty in like 100 years, and others, like Texas, that are executing people at a rate of 50-60 a year.

Are there not variances in laws/rules/statutes between say England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland? Multiply those differences you have by about a factor of 10 or 15.

Nope, no differences in law. It's more like differences between EU countries to be honest, which I get, but you have one country. And think about this - I start on the AZ/NV border, and it's midday. I go east, in to Navajo land, it's 1pm. I keep going east, and it's back to 12pm.

Nope, no differences in law. It's more like differences between EU countries to be honest, which I get, but you have one country. And think about this - I start on the AZ/NV border, and it's midday. I go east, in to Navajo land, it's 1pm. I keep going east, and it's back to 12pm.

You are probably in the only part of the country where that would happen.