THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Hoyer is the reason we're losing...

Tim Couch Pulls Out

according to a bunch of fucking idiots.

Passing Yards: 12th

TD's: T-18th

Interceptions: T-1st

Completion Percentage: 16th

Passer Rating: 10th

Yards/Attempt: 12th

Yards/Game: 15th

Longest Pass: 6th

Hoyer is in the top half of the league in nearly every common QB metric.

Meanwhile, our defense is sucking hind teat:

Yds/Game: 31st

Yds/Play: 32nd

3rd down %: 18th

1st downs: 30th

Pts/game: 24th

Look. I'll be the first to say I like the Johnny Manziel pick. I will also say that I agree with the Browns going with Hoyer as the starter given the glimpse we saw of him last season. Not to mention he is a hometown guy, which is a cool back story itself. We don't need to kill another QB by putting him in before he is ready, something this franchise has been notorious for doing since they returned in 1999. I'm hoping for a scenario down the road similar to Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers, Joe Montana/Steve Young. In short, let Johnny sit, learn and develop.

Amazingly third-down percentage is the best number and it was one of the defenses biggest weaknesses last year.

Stats don't win games.

Ask Lebron.

And college hype doesn't win in the NFL either. Just ask Jamarcus Russell.

Manziel has potential, but as long as Hoyer is playing like he is, Johnny Football sits. Get used to the idea.

It isn't Hoyer. The D is just not playing up to snuff. And the one play JM was involved actually worked well except the rook West was somehow flagged. Too bad. Mo was on our side at that point.

So are you a browns fan or riding the hoyer train?

manziel himself prefers this current arrangement so the issue is moot. I'm really starting to like that kid btw. It really looks like he gets it now. Being a rockstar in the NFL takes time and dedication and right now he's in a good spot where there's no pressure on him and he can go out when the coach wants to dial up a special play..and just play free. All the pressure is on Hoyer and he's playing like iceman. Hoyer is the starter for the rest of the season even if we continue to lose. I only see JF getting a few starts towards the end of the season when it doesn't matter..just so we see his progress.

Stats don't win games.

Ask Lebron.

There's a newly listed, life size Johnny Football sex doll on eBay............... and it has a Buy-It-Now option!! You better hurry, before it's gone.

I think Hoyer has done a very good job. He has given the team a chance to win in every game. He is protecting the ball and managing the offense.

Yesterdays game falls on the special teams. Billy used to kick for the Cowboys years ago and he sucked. Yesterday confirms that he still sucks.

A few things i didnt like. Gabriel has to score on the deep pass.He falls down for no reason and was too slow to run into the endzone. Haden reminds me of Newman. Great corner until someone tests them last in games. The Manziel trick play...really? You spent time practicing a play that was illegal? Come on Shanny, thats amature shit. Miles still looks great.

I just said this same thing to my brother on a short ride in the car today. Seriously how the F does our OC not know a play he puts in and spends practice time on is illegal?? That is some dime store amateur crap

Seriously how the F does our OC not know a play he puts in and spends practice time on is illegal?? That is some dime store amateur crap

.. or our HC... or...

I think it was Wilbon that called it a High School play today on PTI.

Play like a Brown needs to start with Play-calling like a Brown.

most of my complaints thus far come from the sidelines.

everyone wants to bitch about haden gilbert the run D blah blah blah...

but pettine supposedly earned his keep calling great defensive schemes. with the talent we have on paper he is not (or o'brien as well) to that end of the stick.

shanny has an ego problem and if he doesn't stop trying to out do every other OC with some stupid calls he needs a stern talking too.

i trust this staff has it in them to turn it around and i think haslam knows now that he has to give a staff more than one year to prove themselves.

really though we've been at the cusp of being great for 3-4 years now and no one seems to be able to pull each side of the ball together to get us over the hump.

a couple of plays this way and that and we are 3-0. but that has been said for the last couple of years as well.

time for someone to STOP THE FUCKING NONSENSE.

So are you a browns fan or riding the hoyer train?

I'm a Browns fan and Hoyer is doing exactly what staff is asking of him. So the answer is both. This was a very winable game and we did not lose because of QB play. It was a team effort.

I am very disappointed the D is not playing as well as I expected. But Pettine being a D coach I expect that to change in short order. I expect a rook like Gilbert to struggle in year one. I did not expect Haden would struggle as much considering the contract he got and said he would live up to. Right now that isn't happening.

Also could someone explain to me how the trick play was illegal? Why did the refs cite West and not JM or the bench if it was illegal?

I just said this same thing to my brother on a short ride in the car today. Seriously how the F does our OC not know a play he puts in and spends practice time on is illegal?? That is some dime store amateur crap

Although I was totally against it, to be fair even the commentators mentioned the rule they broke was a really obscure unknown one. The refs on the field didn't call it and it took an expert several minutes later to even bring it up. Again though, I don't understand why Shanny doesn't just keep damn momentum going sometimes. You want to try something like that early in the first quarter or when you need a spark down a couple TD's? Fine. But don't interrupt a well-oiled offense to be cute.

Also could someone explain to me how the trick play was illegal? Why did the refs cite West and not JM or the bench if it was illegal?

Apparently you're not allowed to line up within 15(?) yards of the sidelines when in front of the benches - that is, within the 30 yard lines.

I'd never heard of the rule, and the refs basically forgot about it, I think.

156 pass attempts without a pick.

290 yds against the Ravens.

No Josh Gordon.

Hoyer is playing well enough to stick around IMO. No way in hell Johnny plays this consistent when he does get his chance, it would help if Hoyer can be good for another 2-3 years and then develop Johnny Football in that timetable.

Still early in the year tho

I think Hoyer has done a very good job. He has given the team a chance to win in every game. He is protecting the ball and managing the offense.

Yesterdays game falls on the special teams. Billy used to kick for the Cowboys years ago and he sucked. Yesterday confirms that he still sucks.

A few things i didnt like. Gabriel has to score on the deep pass.He falls down for no reason and was too slow to run into the endzone. Haden reminds me of Newman. Great corner until someone tests them last in games. The Manziel trick play...really? You spent time practicing a play that was illegal? Come on Shanny, thats amature

shit. Miles still looks great.

Another classic shan-anigan

My gripe with the offense is that Shanny seems to have a need to be too cute by half.

When we have mo', we need to keep it going, not run a slow-developing reverse that

ends with Suggs staring at our sideline going "Are you fucking kidding me?"

Right now we are not a disciplined team. What was it, 12 penalties against the Ravens?

12 men in the defensive huddle? 3 fucking times?!? I look at the score box at the beginning

of the 4th quarter and we have 1 timeout left. Our run defense is non-existent. Fourth string

RB hits through the line untouched--doesn't have to make an evasive move until he's already

run 4 or 5 yards.

Hoyer is not a candidate for MVP by any stretch of the imagination, but he's doing what our recent QB's

have painfully demonstrated that they are incapable of: managing the offense, seeing the field, leading.

NO TURNOVERS.

manziel himself prefers this current arrangement so the issue is moot. I'm really starting to like that kid btw. It really looks like he gets it now. Being a rockstar in the NFL takes time and dedication and right now he's in a good spot where there's no pressure on him and he can go out when the coach wants to dial up a special play..and just play free. All the pressure is on Hoyer and he's playing like iceman. Hoyer is the starter for the rest of the season even if we continue to lose. I only see JF getting a few starts towards the end of the season when it doesn't matter..just so we see his progress.

when it doesn't matter....??? that's confidence for you.....

all the statistics you chose don't mean shit...the only statistic that counts is the ave. number of wins per game....right now the average nfl qb has won 1.5 games out of 3 played....hoyer has 1 out of 3...so he's below average in the only stat that means anything......hopefully, that will improve...but he's got to win the next game just to be an average nfl quarterback.....pretty sure that's the way pettine looks at it.....all this coming close bullshit is just that....it's winning that matters.....

I dont know why I'm just now seeing this thread but anyone who thinks Hoyer is the reason we are losing needs thrown from skyscraper scaffolding.

We are losing to a very overrated defense.

In particular Joe Haden, Whitner, Rubin, Taylor, and Justin Gil-burnt.

for sake of argument, one could easily point out that manziel won last year, went to a post season bowl game and won that too, with the worst defense in his league...sometimes the offense has to make up for the defense's shortcomings....just being "statistically" good doesn't feed the bulldog....you have to find a way to win....

Archived