THE BROWNS BOARD

Congrats on beating the Steelers take it easy on us this week!

Jag4life00

Hey guys, figured I'd stop back in and say hi as our matchup comes this week.

A little about my Jaguars as the week aproaches. I don't expect for us to be much of a struggle for you guys, I'm hopeful but that's a different story.

The Jags are seeing improvement in some areas, mostly Bortles at QB. He tends to get a little anxious in the 2nd half and is forming a habbit of throwing a few INTs but I'm not to worried he's a gunslinger no doubt about it. Our passing game however is suffering because our young recievers and tight ends just simply drop to many balls. I expect Joe Haden to take away half the field Sunday wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with a pick at the end of the day.

Don't worry about the running game, we don't have one.

On Defense we've improved on the pass rush front and seem to have regressed in the secondary. The secondary has been our biggest weakness so Hoyer might have a really good day. I expect however we will put some pressure on him, not sure how he reacts under pressure? Is Hoyer better under pressure or does it rattle him? Might be your only concern come game time.

Anyways pulling for you guys from a far to take the North or at least get a good run at it. Sucks your division is stacked this year but really enjoyed you guys beating the squeelers the way you did.

Take it easy on us, and if by some chance we catch you sleeping and get our first win, thanks!

Curious question are you guys wanting to even see Manziel play seems like Hoyer is a good fit? Any idea whats their plans with him?

yeah sorry we kind of have to stomp all over you offensively so our defense can take it somewhat easy. I want our defense to be able to play like it's the pro bowl cause we're up by 50. Sorry...lol. We are way too dinged up to go easy on anyone...have to take teams out of the game by the 1st quarter so it has to be air Hoyer from here on out.

I've been surprised by the overall team effort that Quin has gotten out of the Jags. The talent isn't there in the secondary but the discipline is. The front 7 isn't bad and they aren't terrible at stopping the run.

However they lack mature playmakers. Robinson and Lee may one day be good complementary receivers but they're young and need time. From what I know the Jags Oline is a huge weakness as well.

Those are terrible ingredients for a rookie QB and I never understood why they made the switch to Bortles, but it isn't my team. The Browns have had more than their fair share of young QB's shell shocked by

those circumstances.

I expect the Jags to battle early and wear down in the second half. I'd say something to the tune of 31-17 33-20 should be the final.

I've been surprised by the overall team effort that Quin has gotten out of the Jags. The talent isn't there in the secondary but the discipline is. The front 7 isn't bad and they aren't terrible at stopping the run.

However they lack mature playmakers. Robinson and Lee may one day be good complementary receivers but they're young and need time. From what I know the Jags Oline is a huge weakness as well.

Those are terrible ingredients for a rookie QB and I never understood why they made the switch to Bortles, but it isn't my team. The Browns have had more than their far share of young QB's shell shocked by

those circumstances.

I expect the Jags to battle early and wear down in the second half. I'd say something to the tune of 31-17 33-20 should be the final.

Pretty spot on analysis, we do lack mature playmaker across the board. I know the plan wasn't to start 6 rookies on offense but that's what we have right now. The line is slowly improving, last week was probably their best week as a unit, but it was against a lack luster titans team.

I was all for playing Bortles from the start of the season, this season was a wash anyways and Bortles isn't going to develop on the bench. He's proven capable to handle the game from early on and hopefully this season will help spring him into a strong sophmore season. That's the hope all this suffering and sucking this year will payoff next year.

It's more of a joke. At this point I'm all for Manziel sitting on the bench and working on being a true QB.

We had this same debate over in Jacksonville this season. Our place holder Henne to know ones surprise wasn't getting it done so the switch was made. Honestly I'm of the opinion with the new CBA I just don't see how young QB's can develop on the bench. The snaps are so limited and restricted the backup stands almost no chance of even practicing with the one's, so unless you're just not convinced he's capable of grasping the playbook you gotta play the kid.

I think Bortles and Manziel are two different prospects as well and what works for one might not work for the other. Trying to remain objective I do think Bortles was more mature coming out and more likely to grasp the NFL playbook then Manziel but who knows, maybe Bortles ends up shell shocked playing behind such a horrible line with little help.

That was more of my thinking. Cleveland fans will never know how good Couch, Garcia, Frye could have been because they played behind terrible Oline and had few offensive weapons.

I do believe Bortles a superior pro talent compared to Manziel. I just hope for Jags fans he isn't ruined before the rest of the team can be improved.

Hopefully our players aren't already counting the Jags as a win like some of our fans are.......... When that happens, it's typically called a loss.

Hey guys, figured I'd stop back in and say hi as our matchup comes this week.

The Jags are seeing improvement in some areas, mostly Bortles at QB.

Is Hoyer better under pressure or does it rattle him? Might be your only concern come game time.

Anyways pulling for you guys from a far to take the North or at least get a good run at it. Sucks your division is stacked this year but really enjoyed you guys beating the squeelers the way you did.

Curious question are you guys wanting to even see Manziel play seems like Hoyer is a good fit? Any idea whats their plans with him?

Howdy... improvement beats the alternative no matter where you are.

Hoyer goes thru his reads very quickly and if all goes well the ball is gone before any pressure comes his way. Above all else he's a timing guy. If backside pressure is coming he'll stand in and deliver the ball if he has a target. Any throw he can step into is highly likely to be a quality throw.

Brian will shy from frontside pressure and early on made some questionable, back-footed throws, but got away with them. Also while he throws well off designed moves, if flushed and forced into a running, back-foot throw, again things have gotten a little dicey.

That said, rattled is no longer an applicable adjective. It may have been in camp with the "QB competition", but now Manziel is so far in the rearview mirror that he is irrelevant at this point. And I for one hope he stays that way for a couple more years...

As for our division... all long as we are in the stack, I'm fine with it.

I think Bortles and Manziel are two different prospects as well and what works for one might not work for the other. Trying to remain objective I do think Bortles was more mature coming out and more likely to grasp the NFL playbook then Manziel but who knows, maybe Bortles ends up shell shocked playing behind such a horrible line with little help.

Agree for the most part except I think that "learning on the bench" is a misnomer since there are film sessions and practice and... I watched Blake's second start at SD and thought he had grown since pre-season. There was some rookie bad there, but a lot more rookie good.

Speaking of pre-season... that sideline throw he made rolling/ running right from his own endzone is still the sickest throw I've seen in a long time. I forget who it was against, but it was just over the outstretched arm of one DB underneath and in front of a second to a toe-dragging WR already at a 60 dg angle or so... just gorgeous...

No offense taken... our Johnny boy's top issue is his immaturity. Blake has no such issues...

That was more of my thinking. Cleveland fans will never know how good Couch, Garcia, Frye could have been because they played behind terrible Oline and had few offensive weapons.

I do believe Bortles a superior pro talent compared to Manziel. I just hope for Jags fans he isn't ruined before the rest of the team can be improved.

You and me both, But the good QB's seem to make their teams better rather then get dragged down by sub-par talent. I just look at Indy for encouragement with out Manning or Luck they where a horrible team, insert great QB and they're contenders.

Howdy... improvement beats the alternative no matter where you are.

Hoyer goes thru his reads very quickly and if all goes well the ball is gone before any pressure comes his way. Above all else he's a timing guy. If backside pressure is coming he'll stand in and deliver the ball if he has a target. Any throw he can step into is highly likely to be a quality throw.

Brian will shy from frontside pressure and early on made some questionable, back-footed throws, but got away with them. Also while he throws well off designed moves, if flushed and forced into a running, back-foot throw, again things have gotten a little dicey.

That said, rattled is no longer an applicable adjective. It may have been in camp with the "QB competition", but now Manziel is so far in the rearview mirror that he is irrelevant at this point. And I for one hope he stays that way for a couple more years...

As for our division... all long as we are in the stack, I'm fine with it.

Good to know, what I've seen from Hoyer (mostly highlights) I'm impressed. Really glad you guys seem to have found someone. Hopefully Gordon can get his act together then you guys might really have something. Also hoping our own version of Gordon (Blackmon) get's his act together and comes back to us one day.

Agree for the most part except I think that "learning on the bench" is a misnomer since there are film sessions and practice and... I watched Blake's second start at SD and thought he had grown since pre-season. There was some rookie bad there, but a lot more rookie good.

Speaking of pre-season... that sideline throw he made rolling/ running right from his own endzone is still the sickest throw I've seen in a long time. I forget who it was against, but it was just over the outstretched arm of one DB underneath and in front of a second to a toe-dragging WR already at a 60 dg angle or so... just gorgeous...

No offense taken... our Johnny boy's top issue is his immaturity. Blake has no such issues...

I think it was against the Lions, if we're talking about the same pass. It was the Lions game that made me a believer in Bortles. Honestly if not for Bortles I'd be spending sunday's fishing at this point.

There is more parody this year in the NFL than any year that I can remember, so while I like our chances in this game I wouldn't take this game lightly if I were Mike pettine.

I disagree on jf learning on the bench. He didn't have a handle on the playbook early on and while you do need reps you also need to be a leader. A leader knows wtf is going on, clearly he didn't, now he is being humbled. Not sure he is there yet with the grab assing on the sidelines when we were getting killed by the titans.

Plus he isn't getting traded, not even for a first. He has all of the intangibles to run this offense. Not unless he does something to hurt the team anyway.

There is more parody this year in the NFL than any year that I can remember, so while I like our chances in this game I wouldn't take this game lightly if I were Mike pettine.

I disagree on jf learning on the bench. He didn't have a handle on the playbook early on and while you do need reps you also need to be a leader. A leader knows wtf is going on, clearly he didn't, now he is being humbled. Not sure he is there yet with the grab assing on the sidelines when we were getting killed by the titans.

Plus he isn't getting traded, not even for a first. He has all of the intangibles to run this offense. Not unless he does something to hurt the team anyway.

Can't take any game lightly in the NFL. It's not like college these teams can win any given Sunday.

Also, I'd be happy if hoyer proves to be the guy well into his 30s. Too early to tell now, but manziel won't be a backup forever.

If hoyers still the guy in a couple years, I don't see manziel sticking around in Cleveland but you never know.

QB Tangibles? They are there... arm... agility... ball skills, but I'd argue that JM has none of the intangibles to run this offense... or any offense this side of college for that matter. Maturity... work ethic... just are not in evidence... yet. The "grab-assing" you cited was fucking embarrassing.

My bench point was simply that there's more opportunity available there than the "name" implies. Whomever is sitting simply has to apply himself. If you say JM now knows the play book (an if in itself), something he clearly did not at the end of TC, then he has learned on the bench.

Totally agree on the parity... I think we can count on Pettine to not get or let his team get complacent any week... especially in the face of mounting injuries. That said, it is a game we should win. It is not a game we cannot lose.

Hey any of you guys who were around since the AOL board, who was the Jaguars fan?

I remember there was one who posted on the board quite a bit...

WSS

I remember him well, he always bit hard on "This Week in the AFC North". Really defended the bottlegate ref gaffe too. Can't remember his name right now ... I wanna say something Thompson? Maybe not.

Zomboo

Archived