THE BROWNS BOARD

Outstanding article written by a former soldier who got raided himself by mistake...

Clevfan4life

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/in-iraq-i-raided-insurgents-in-virginia-the-police-raided-me/ar-AAdtsd2

He got lucky he didn't make any sudden movements. Very troubling that cops decided to SWAT raid his apt before talking to a single person in his complex, not even the security people downstairs that would have told the cops why he was staying in a different apt. His overall point about the over militarization of the police is solid.

Was going to post this. The arrogance and recklessness of "shoot now, pay later"

is a serious problem.

This this story, they may have seen a reflection in the glass of the storm door this

husband and father was standing behind, with his hands up.

And the city settled the civil case.... and after over a year, hasn't "decided" to file charges against the stupid officer
that murdered him.

So cal, do you see how maybe other people who did not have this guys training....would pop up at the sound of men entering their apt while they sleep and make what would to the officers appear to be aggressive movements? I know I would. How many of you that own a firearm would instinctively reach for the piece if you had it next to the bed? How do you think that would turn out?

This is what people in the minority community have been complaining about for decades. Not the instances where police raid some hardened gangbangers, but where they come upon people of color with no prior warning of any violent or aggressive circumstances but presume it to be the case so they fly in. One of the problems I had with the shooting of the Cleveland kid is that had that officer not pulled up within 10-15ft of the kid he would have had buffer distance to avoid having to drop him the instant he saw the hand go for the waistband. Basically the kid had no time to scream it's a BB gun. The kid should absolutely not have been playing with a realistic firearm in the park, so his death is abs ultimately on the parents. But there's just way too much evidence to suggest that many PD's across the country like to practice their training on minorities OR simply just people of lower socioeconomic status. This stuff though happens to enough white people and things will change, and that's an unfortunate statement to have to make.

So many of these shootings wouldn't have happened if cops just simply be cops first and SWAT operators 2nd.

So cal, do you see how maybe other people who did not have this guys training....would pop up at the sound of men entering their apt while they sleep and make what would to the officers appear to be aggressive movements? I know I would. How many of you that own a firearm would instinctively reach for the piece if you had it next to the bed? How do you think that would turn out?

This is what people in the minority community have been complaining about for decades. Not the instances where police raid some hardened gangbangers, but where they come upon people of color with no prior warning of any violent or aggressive circumstances but presume it to be the case so they fly in. One of the problems I had with the shooting of the Cleveland kid is that had that officer not pulled up within 10-15ft of the kid he would have had buffer distance to avoid having to drop him the instant he saw the hand go for the waistband. Basically the kid had no time to scream it's a BB gun. The kid should absolutely not have been playing with a realistic firearm in the park, so his death is abs ultimately on the parents. But there's just way too much evidence to suggest that many PD's across the country like to practice their training on minorities OR simply just people of lower socioeconomic status. This stuff though happens to enough white people and things will change, and that's an unfortunate statement to have to make.

So many of these shootings wouldn't have happened if cops just simply be cops first and SWAT operators 2nd.

That entire spiel was a bit of a reach Cleve unless you can provide evidence that this is what blacks have been complaining about for decades...that cases like the Cleveland kid is the rule rather than the exception in thug infested inner cities.

Your most Retarded line was your implication that PD's like to practice their training on minorities. Aside from the fact that most crime takes place in inner cities where blacks and minorities dominate the population, suggesting that police are practicing on minorities is ignorant.

Again, you run off at the mouth, and you make no sense.

The victim was white, idiot. There is no racist garbage in this story.

And, it was in the stupid afternoon. In the middle of the day, I

might reach for my gun, then toss it on the couch when I saw

that it was the police banging on my door.

In the middle of the night, how is anybody supposed to discern

between a hellish home invasion, and a "wrong address" police raid?

It has happened in the past, that deliberate, wrong information has been

fed to the police, and a raid done, only to find that the person was completely

innocent, and that someone angry with them created the false charge.

I forget the name of the scam. It only takes the police to knock on a door and

have someone answer it, for the occupant to know what's up.

In the middle of the night, you could be half asleep, listening to Coast to Coast,

and with no warning, a "wham" ..

yeah, I'll have my gun out. Because I know it should never be the police.

And inevitably, I imagine if I can tell the police to shut the f up and back off,

because they have the wrong address,

and they go "oh, sh***, we are at the wrong address". That's in my imagination....

This should never happen. If it does, it is incompetence, a flagrant, serious violatation

of an American's civil rights, I don't care what color they are, and they need to know

that in Ohio, we have the Castle Law.

Some fatheaded, corrupt cops get their jollies by going nutso over a raid so they

can practice being assholes... based on little or nothing to go on.....should be illegal, and the sentence a serious one.

Should be a felony.

No reason, ever, of a quick, deadly raid based on incomplete information and knee jerk trigger happy happy dance.

1) I know the victim here was white, my point was that now that it is a white victim...people are like oh hey that's fucked up.

2) If you had a gun in your hand when those cops came into the room you wouldnt' have time to toss it.

3) completely agree with you on your last paragraph or so. But again, recognize that people in the black community have been complaining for decades that cops have used them as SWAT practice when a simple phone call would have sufficed.

Again, you run off at the mouth, and you make no sense.

The victim was white, idiot. There is no racist garbage in this story.

And, it was in the stupid afternoon. In the middle of the day, I

might reach for my gun, then toss it on the couch when I saw

that it was the police banging on my door.

In the middle of the night, how is anybody supposed to discern

between a hellish home invasion, and a "wrong address" police raid?

It has happened in the past, that deliberate, wrong information has been

fed to the police, and a raid done, only to find that the person was completely

innocent, and that someone angry with them created the false charge.

I forget the name of the scam. It only takes the police to knock on a door and

have someone answer it, for the occupant to know what's up.

In the middle of the night, you could be half asleep, listening to Coast to Coast,

and with no warning, a "wham" ..

yeah, I'll have my gun out. Because I know it should never be the police.

And inevitably, I imagine if I can tell the police to shut the f up and back off,

because they have the wrong address,

and they go "oh, sh***, we are at the wrong address". That's in my imagination....

This should never happen. If it does, it is incompetence, a flagrant, serious violatation

of an American's civil rights, I don't care what color they are, and they need to know

that in Ohio, we have the Castle Law.

Some fatheaded, corrupt cops get their jollies by going nutso over a raid so they

can practice being assholes... based on little or nothing to go on.....should be illegal, and the sentence a serious one.

Should be a felony.

No reason, ever, of a quick, deadly raid based on incomplete information and knee jerk trigger happy happy dance.

If you had a gun in your hand when those cops came into the room you wouldnt' have time to toss it. Cleve

True, but the scenario was in the middle of the day. As soon as I see the police are yelling at me from outside,

I'm unarmed.

But as I said, in the middle of the night, with no warning, if one of the invading police come in

unannounced, just barging in... and one of them gets killed,

I was protecting my family and friends from psycho nutjobs and a home invasion.

My opinion - with the Castle Law, and a lot of legal gun owners, and the rights to defend

yourself in your own home, and camper, and tent, and car.....

burglars pay when they invade the wrong house, and the police do their due diligence to raid

where they have cross-referenced their information, done stake outs, the real deal.

Knee jerk rampages for the adrenaline rush will get innocent police and innocent regular folks killed.

But, you live in a city which is a "gun free zone"..... there is no recourse but to be brutalized and murdered,

even if it is the police and they have the wrong damn house.

BTW, regarging the racial thing - crime is really high in predominatly black areas. It's just true. It might

happen more, but should never happen with this mistaken address/bad info thing.

Can you at least see though that cops have been doing these kind of misinformed raids most predominantly in black areas? You are correct that those areas correspond to higher instances of crime...but like the solidier in the article said, the more we indiscriminantly shot about just because it was an area of high insurgent activity, we actually did ourselves more harm than good. Honest botch ups are one thing, but what happened to this soldier in the article is hair raising. I'll bet the cops were all goofy smiles and aww shucks when they found out what the deal really was....cause that could have turned out all kind of bad. I bet they were real nice to the dude, like hey all's well that ends well right mate? lmao

It's a sickening subject. Here is a good article, believe it or not, from Salon.com, which I never read.

But it isn't a racial thing, it's a swat team adrenline rush power nazi kind of move to perform a raid

on the wrong address, and cover-up after the fact.

In the first story, not having a gun didn't help the family. Crashing in and wantonly murdering members

of their family...COMPLETELY INNOCENT family....

I'm real glad I live in Ohio, and not an anti-gun ownership state.

crap. I went to paste that link, and it isn't here. Too fast. Probably should slow down a bit,

since I'm retired......

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/10/militarized_police_overreach_oh_god_i_thought_they_were_going_to_shoot_me_next%E2%80%9D/

That entire spiel was a bit of a reach Cleve unless you can provide evidence that this is what blacks have been complaining about for decades...

"bit of a reach" ?

There are numerous cases of police shooting unarmed persons. What is it these unarmed persons are reaching for ?

If you were in bed, your door was suddenly kicked in, your first instinct would be to lay spread eagle on your bed ?

The officers in these cases, if these accounts are even 50% valid....need to be sent off to Isis. In no way shape or form am I joking. It's not that they made mistakes, it's the cover up...and even the incredible self lauding they did by saying hey we cleared your name, isn't that apology enough? They wanted credit for not shooting a completely innocent person. They need to be taken at the head, and then have their bodies promenaded around town with the head sitting sitting on their asses.

The 2nd story where the cops realized they had the wrong address but one of em walked out into the yard and shot the family dog anyway....I mean off with his head infront of his entire family. They all have to watch.

Archived