THE BROWNS BOARD

How do you keep your toes warm when it's freezing?

wargograw

So it doesn't get too cold down here in Texas, but every once in awhile I go to a football game where it's really cold or something like that. I always prepare pretty well and wear a lot of clothes. Usually I wear two socks and a pair of cowboy boots I have that are suede on the outside and mesh on the inside. Problem is, my feet sweat just so slightly before I even leave the house/in the car, then I'm dealing with the wet AND cold down there, and I'm screwed. One time I went to the bathroom, wrapped my foot in paper towels, then put the socks back on. That's the only thing that worked but the towels were uncomfortable.

You northerners got any tips for this?

I have a pair of leather water resistant Rocky boots, insulated. I can go out in single temps for a couple of hours easy,

and about freezing, still keeps my feet fine.

Some people use various powders I'm told with the right socks.

Many years ago (1969-1980) I used to work outside occasionally in the steel mills in brutal weather in maintenance...when everything breaks naturally....and used to wear thin dress socks with other socks over them depending on how cold it really was.

Two dress socks to start but would go with the outer layer as cotton or wool as it got really cold.

Having to wear steel toed boots with steel metarsal guards over them didn't help.

Today's clothing, shoes, boots are much better.

.....great freaking memories trying to fix some outdoor overhead cranes when it's below zero. ;)

Waterproof boots and merino wool socks.

You can also get thermal insoles for your shoes which can help quite a bit. Wool socks makes the biggest difference IMO - they'll help with the sweating since merino wool repels moisture.

Oh and merino wool is naturally anti-microbial and more breathable than standard cotton socks. Order a few pairs and you'll be happy.

Waterproof/insulated boots, thin liner socks (usually poly), NO COTTON (it retains moisture & is the worst thing you can wear in the cold), then wool or a good wool blend (if pure wool is too itchy for you although liner socks eliminate itching) pair of socks as bbedward suggests. Keep in mind that wool continues to insulate even when wet.

Mike

So it doesn't get too cold down here in Texas, but every once in awhile I go to a football game where it's really cold or something like that. I always prepare pretty well and wear a lot of clothes. Usually I wear two socks and a pair of cowboy boots I have that are suede on the outside and mesh on the inside. Problem is, my feet sweat just so slightly before I even leave the house/in the car, then I'm dealing with the wet AND cold down there, and I'm screwed. One time I went to the bathroom, wrapped my foot in paper towels, then put the socks back on. That's the only thing that worked but the towels were uncomfortable.

D

You northerners got any tips for this?

I've do a good bit of ice fishing. First, splurge and get a good pair of merino wool socks. I like wigwam best. Then get some disposable toe warmers. They're pretty cheap. Wear just your socks and boots untill you reach your seats. Then put those throw away toe warmers in. Your feet will stay dry and toasty. I would advise removing the toe warmers before walking back to your car though. They can get hot. The wool keeps your feet dry in any temp. And don't be afraid to wear them on a hot day. I've worn them year round for a long time. They wear like iron too. Hope this helps

Going out on Erie without a shanty, it is all goosedown, wool and silk. Towels, disposable hand warmers Will keep ya warm and dry for a good day of hardwater walleye fishing

Going out on that unpredictable Lake Erie without a shanty? WHOA!

....I think I'd prefer a nice hotel with a view of the lake maybe a nice roaring fireplace in the dining room where I can have a great meal and cold beverage and park my boots near the hearth.... or how to keep your toes warm when it's freezing, maybe in bed with a snow bunny might also work :lol:

Going out on that unpredictable Lake Erie without a shanty? WHOA!

....I think I'd prefer a nice hotel with a view of the lake maybe a nice roaring fireplace in the dining room where I can have a great meal and cold beverage and park my boots near the hearth.... or how to keep your toes warm when it's freezing, maybe in bed with a snow bunny might also work :lol:

Go out from Catawba around mid Feb. I'd rather not do a shanty. Toe warmers and layers. Down parkas and pants, I've sat out there thinking it was getting nice only to find out I was the snowdrift. Best to go with a guide at first on Erie. Gotta watch the winds close too. North is good. It's like being on another friggin planet with nothing but 8lb walleye. The sounds and stark scenery are cool too. Dress and play smart and you're fine.

This isn't hard. Powder your feet to keep from sweating.

Use 3 layers of shocks. A cotton base white sock to wick sweat. A medium inner base of a medium wool sock, then a heavey wool sock. Then wrap that is a 800 or higher gram thinsulate boot. The boots have to be a size larger to make room for the socks.

Avoid 3" deep puddles of slush. Water proof does't mean you can walk through freezing water all day.

This isn't hard. Powder your feet to keep from sweating.

Use 3 layers of shocks. A cotton base white sock to wick sweat. A medium inner base of a medium wool sock, then a heavey wool sock. Then wrap that is a 800 or higher gram thinsulate boot. The boots have to be a size larger to make room for the socks.

Avoid 3" deep puddles of slush. Water proof does't mean you can walk through freezing water all day.

Gore Tex will keep you dry all day. Lose the cotton and stick with wool and silk. You can stand in slushy shit all day.

Archived