THE BROWNS BOARD

That's Not "Confidence"

Spectralcow

First of all, let me make it clear that I think WAY too much has been made of the Richard Sherman post-game interview, and it is silly that it is still being discussed. That being said, it IS still being discussed. So, I wanted to comment on something I've noticed.

Before I do, though, let me quickly lay out my take on the Sherman interview. In general, I don't like loudness and bragging. I like humility and reservation. I do think trash-talking has a place on the field during the game and even off the field before the game. After the game, though, I like good sportsmanship and class. Shake your opponent's hand and tell him he played a good game, even if you kicked his ass up and down the field, I say. However, while I wasn't a fan of Sherman's post-game rant, and I would rather he hadn't done it, I think people are WAY overreacting to it. It wasn't offensive or hurtful toward anyone. It wasn't what I would have suggested anyone do, and I'm not impressed by anyone who even feels the urge to do that, but it certainly was not worth even a portion of the negative feedback it got.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way... let's move on to the point of this post. I hear a lot of people who intend to support Sherman's right to rant the way he did saying that he's just "confident"; that what is being mistaken for "classlessness" and "poor sportsmanship" is actually just "confidence." I understand what people are trying to say, but that's not the correct word for it. "Confidence" suggests a "believe" in one's abilities. A "belief" suggests that there is room for some doubt. For these reasons, it makes sense to have confidence in something that you think you CAN do, that you WILL do, or that you COULD do. When you just did that thing 4 minutes ago, though, and everyone saw it, and it's preserved on film so that it cannot be disputed, it doesn't make much sense to say that you're "confident" about it.

Am I being clear here? Being excited about something AFTER you do it isn't "having confidence"; it is "being proud." Personally, I'm not a fan of people being overtly prideful, but if you are okay with him "being proud", I'm fine with that. You can like him for "being proud" if you want. Just don't say that "he's just confident" or "he's just got confidence". He can be "confident" that he will perform well in the SB. He can be "confident" that he's the best corner in the NFL. Screaming about a play that just happened or about an altercation that happened recently is not "confidence", though; that's the wrong word.

It is not "confidence" when Cam Newton scores a TD and does the shirt-ripping mime. It is not "confidence" when someone flexes after they dunk, or when they flash a "3" sign after making a 3-point shot. It is not "confidence" when a pitcher does a fist-pump after striking someone out. These are celebrations and displays of happiness and/or pride, but, by definition, they are not displays of "confidence."

Regardless of the semantics, I thought Sherman's rant made him look weak. It appeared to me that he was trying to convince himself that he was the best, and his over the top emotional meltdown told me that he had a lot of doubt. I'm sure he wasn't surprised that he played well, but his post game spectacle gave me that impression.

Guys that are confident don't give their opponents so much mental real estate, and they certainly don't give them the satisfaction of knowing that their opinion, at least at one point, carried some weight. "Act like you've been there before" not like a teenage girl dealing with the emotional rush of her first period and ass-cancer at the same time.

If the tables were turned on that play, and Crabtree immediately approached Sherman after the play, how do you think Sherman would've reacted?

I was always taught rubbing it in the face of the loser is poor sportsmanship. I don't see why that shouldn't be true even on the pro level of sports.

As fans, sure, that's part of the fun of being a fan to dig on your opponents. But for the players themselves, not so much. The only exception I can see is if they know each other well enough, and the trash talk is all in fun and both parties can laugh about it. I don't know if these two have a history or what, just saying from a neutral standpoint. Crabtree could've handled it better if all he said was "good game". But Sherman's timing in the situation, as Mike H said, is not with good intentions. At least not likely, IMO.

I have no problem with Sherman. Brilliant player, brilliant play. You stick a microphone in a football players face 1 minute after all his hard work paid off and he sent his team to the Super Bowl ... you just might get that guy.

What concerns me is all the people on social media etc. disparaging him and calling him a "thug". There's a lot of Retards and racists in this country.

The guy has a degree from Stanford and is the best person at his job in the entire world. Have some more guacamole dip and call him a thug on twitter again ... you're cool.

Zombo

I have no problem with Sherman. Brilliant player, brilliant play. You stick a microphone in a football players face 1 minute after all his hard work paid off and he sent his team to the Super Bowl ... you just might get that guy.

What concerns me is all the people on social media etc. disparaging him and calling him a "thug". There's a lot of Retards and racists in this country.

The guy has a degree from Stanford and is the best person at his job in the entire world. Have some more guacamole dip and call him a thug on twitter again ... you're cool.

Zombo

+1.

Not a fan of trash-talking, but as Z said, you stick a microphone in front of a guy seconds after he made a play to send his team

to the Super Bowl, against a heated rival, and that's what you're going to get. Several years ago the NFLPA wanted to ban the

media from the locker rooms for 30 minutes following the game, in order to give players time to calm down, to let the adrenalin ease,

to gain some perspective. The media howled in protest, because it's much better television if an amped up player speaks his mind

without having some time to calm down. Fans love having the players miked up because they want to get closer to the game, they

want to know what it's really like on the field. Well folks, that's what it's like. I guarantee you that many of the people upset over

Sherman are also against giving the players some time to calm down before facing the media.

As I stated in the Richard Sherman thread, I disagree with this idea that "if you stick a microphone in a players face right after he makes the play that sends his team to the SB, that's what you're going to get." I do agree with the notion that he's giving his opponents too much mental real estate. Immediately after making the play that sends your team to the SB, you should be excited about the play you made (in a positive way), and you should be even more excited that your team is going to the SB. What I heard from Sherman instead was that his main concern after making the play that sent his team to the SB was that someone had spoken negatively about him. To me, that should have been WAY down the list of things on his mind. It's too negative and too individualistic. What I would expect to hear is something like, "We're going to the Superbowl!! This is amazing!" What I heard instead was, "Don't you ever talk about me!!" Really? That's what you're concerned with in that moment?

So, to be clear, I DO expect a guy to be loud and animated and excited after making the play that sends his team to the SB. I DON'T expect that the main thing on his mind after doing that is whether or not someone had previously said something bad about him.

Anyway, none of that was the point of this thread. There was another thread for that. My point was that it is incorrect to defend this by saying, "He's just a confident guy. There's nothing wrong with being confident." Both of those things might be true in general or in other circumstances, but "confidence" is not what this reaction is called.

That's bullshit. You're a fuckin dumbass if you think that classless shit is acceptable. Hell you belong with the 'thugs' that agree with you. You're right, there are a lot of dumb fucks in this country, ppl like Sherman. The fact he's a Stanford grad is a joke. Take some fuckin accountability for your actions, and whether you do or don't want to be a role model, show some fucking class and humility and talk shit behind closed doors. Any idea how much hat effects impressionable kids that see that shit? The fact that his behavior is accepted by so many is the most disgusting part of American culture today, and it's only going to get worse because of pussies like you. You fuckin liberals always have to pull out the race card too, don't you little bitches? Fuckin wa wa wa there calling him a "thug" what racist pigs. STFU with that bitch shit and nut up. Ppl are disgusted with that type of behavior and they should be. I didn't give a shit about the SB, now I'm a die hard Denver fan because of that POS. We need more Peyton Mannings and less thugs ass Shermans..

Zombo

That's bullshit. You're a fuckin dumbass if you think that classless shit is acceptable. Hell you belong with the 'thugs' that agree with you. You're right, there are a lot of dumb fucks in this country, ppl like Sherman. The fact he's a Stanford grad is a joke. Take some fuckin accountability for your actions, and whether you do or don't want to be a role model, show some fucking class and humility and talk shit behind closed doors. Any idea how much hat effects impressionable kids that see that shit? The fact that his behavior is accepted by so many is the most disgusting part of American culture today, and it's only going to get worse because of pussies like you. You fuckin liberals always have to pull out the race card too, don't you little bitches? Fuckin wa wa wa there calling him a "thug" what racist pigs. STFU with that bitch shit and nut up. Ppl are disgusted with that type of behavior and they should be. I didn't give a shit about the SB, now I'm a die hard Denver fan because of that POS. We need more Peyton Mannings and less thugs ass Shermans..

1930f0bb9ba038008b5f6d2d1952b418f4.png

That's bullshit. You're a fuckin dumbass

And your avatar is Brandon Weeden.

I win.

Hell you belong with the 'thugs' that agree with you.

I'm not sure you understand what "thug" means.

It doesn't mean boastful, obnoxious or black.

The fact he's a Stanford grad is a joke.

Nope. No joke. He's a Stanford grad and you're not. But it's not too late to try.

Take some fuckin accountability for your actions, and whether you do or don't want to be a role model, show some fucking class and humility and talk shit behind closed doors. Any idea how much hat effects impressionable kids that see that shit?

Did he curse? No? because you are cursing on a public forum that is open to kids. Way to set an example, Chachi.

But you're right, kids shouldn't learn about real emotions or bad sportsmanhip on TV. They should get an elbow to the face playing pick up ball like the rest of us.

The fact that his behavior is accepted by so many is the most disgusting part of American culture today, and it's only going to get worse because of pussies like you. You fuckin liberals always have to pull out the race card too, don't you little bitches? Fuckin wa wa wa there calling him a "thug" what racist pigs. STFU with that bitch shit and nut up.

OK ... again ... you just typed that onto a public forum that children read. So maybe you should "nut up" and practice what you squeal.

Ppl are disgusted with that type of behavior and they should be. I didn't give a shit about the SB, now I'm a die hard Denver fan because of that POS. We need more Peyton Mannings and less thugs ass Shermans..

Well good, we're rooting for the same team.

Never mind that the whole front office got DUIs last off-season, Von Miller seems to break some law every month or that Demarious Thomas was investigated as part of a sexual assault case. I don't root for them because I'm a "liberal" and I like "thugs".

No, I'm rooting for them because I don't want to watch another team win their first SB before we do.

Just a football reason.

Because if I started judging teams by who was the least "thuggiest" I'd have to open a lot of doors that I really don't care to peer into. I'll just keep rooting for the Browns and enjoying competitive athletes like Sherman and Manning do their thing.

Hopefully nobody screams into the camera and scars the children for life afterward.

Zombo

Abso-fuckin'-lutely...

He's not confident or a thug... he's just ghetto/hood. Doesn't matter what schools someone goes to or how much money they make, some people just can't stop acting ghetto and leave the hood life behind. Like dumbasses who say ratchet instead of wretched... some dumbass in the hood who couldn't talk well says wretched wrong and all the hoodrats think it's so cool. In todays world being stupid and ghetto is the cool thing to do. I blame hip hop and rap... how could anyone use the word confident when descibing him cause confident would mean he was poised, coolheaded,unruffled and at ease.

the guy just needs to shut up.

yes he's the best corner, yes he made the game winning play, yes he's come a long way from his roots....

BUT

when all said and done you talk too much. i have so much respect for these guys of any color when they cross the goal line and just flip the ball to the official. maybe they do a tebow and point to the skies or maybe he does a high-five or something, but for an educated man such as sherman is to have to do in his way a touchdown dance or a 'look at me move' was just totally absurd and classless.

those type of moves really are just stoopid and have no place in the game. i know the league had tried to stop it when it got way out of control with TO and his marker in his sock or when shannon sharpe was interviewed at halftime saying "they better call in the national guard cuz we are just killing these guys" type of shit but got nowhere because now you aren't letting the black man speak.....................really?

class is kevin durant. class is peyton manning. always shining the light on the players that help them to achieve the level of their play.

sherman might have a great school GPA but someone on his team (of agents etc.) needs to put a sock in his mouth.

it's been 4 days now after their win and he still can't shut up. and never once has he apologized to crabtree.

he'll always be a classless dick in my book when it comes to being a sportsman. player great<man.

I agree.

and if you listen to the video where they are mic'd up Sherman goes up to Crabtree and says good game and Crabtree shoves him. Crabtree is a sore loser. And Sherman outplayed him.

but you missed that just a minute before that sherman was doing the choking sign to crabtree... and then expects him to shake his hand. Sore loser he is not.

That was the gayest fucking post I've ever read on a sports forum. Honestly. You have to be the biggest bitch on earth to believe any of that hot garbage you just tried to bark back with.

Sherman gives Stanford a bad name. The fact you don't understand why, its not worth trying to explain to you, your dumb ass will never get it.

Different ppl associate thug with different perceptions/meanings about a culture. Only a pussy liberal bitch will immediately blow the race card whistle. Like you, for example.

And your avatar is Brandon Weeden.

I win.

I'm not sure you understand what "thug" means.

It doesn't mean boastful, obnoxious or black.

Nope. No joke. He's a Stanford grad and you're not. But it's not too late to try.

Did he curse? No? because you are cursing on a public forum that is open to kids. Way to set an example, Chachi.

But you're right, kids shouldn't learn about real emotions or bad sportsmanhip on TV. They should get an elbow to the face playing pick up ball like the rest of us.

OK ... again ... you just typed that onto a public forum that children read. So maybe you should "nut up" and practice what you squeal.

Well good, we're rooting for the same team.

Never mind that the whole front office got DUIs last off-season, Von Miller seems to break some law every month or that Demarious Thomas was investigated as part of a sexual assault case. I don't root for them because I'm a "liberal" and I like "thugs".

No, I'm rooting for them because I don't want to watch another team win their first SB before we do.

Just a football reason.

Because if I started judging teams by who was the least "thuggiest" I'd have to open a lot of doors that I really don't care to peer into. I'll just keep rooting for the Browns and enjoying competitive athletes like Sherman and Manning do their thing.

Hopefully nobody screams into the camera and scars the children for life afterward.

Zombo

Hey ,,being stupid is not something thats exclusive to liberals...Your either stupid or your not, regardless of philosophy. Sherman was/is a gloating dipshit. Im an ultra,left wing liberal. But acting like a gloating thug is not accepted...I bet if Vince Lombardi were alive and was the coach. He'd knock the kid on his ass and bench him the next game SB or not.

Sherman gives Stanford a bad name. The fact you don't understand why, its not worth trying to explain to you, your dumb ass will never get it.

You give grade school a bad name.

Different ppl associate thug with different perceptions/meanings about a culture. Only a pussy liberal bitch will immediately blow the race card whistle. Like you, for example.

There is only one English language. A thug is a criminal, not an excited football player. A Buffoon is a clown. A Baffoon is a clown who can't spell Buffoon.

Here's a map to our tailgate site:

Close%20up%20of%20tailgate.jpg

If you can scrape up enough bus fare by selling your mom's prescription meds on the streets of Columbus, I'd love to see you explain to me in person how big of a pussy I am.

Zombo

Archived