THE BROWNS BOARD

Planned Parenthood

No, that's not what would happen. If you repeal Roe, which is what legions of conservatives want and have working for for decades, the decision to keep it legal returns to the states. You can then pretty much pick which states where it will instantly become illegal, and those where it will remain legal, and those that were be too close to call. But saying that conservatives on the court could overturn Roe isn't saying "the supreme court of the united states would make abortion under any circumstances illegal." That's not how it works.

Your ability to have an abortion would then depend on where you live, and your ability to travel. (And in many areas of the country, it already does.) It will no longer be a right given under the Roe decision.

Could this happen with another, say, Romney appointee on the bench? Two Romney appointees? Of course it could. A view that the Roe decision was incorrect, and a desire to repeal it, is the single most important judicial opinion for conservative activists, and by a long shot. That's basically all they want to know: 1) do you agree that Roe was incorrectly decided, and 2) do you hate judicial activism, blah, blah.

As for your hypothetical, it's not such a hypothetical. That's basically what exists now. Roe only protects the right to an abortion up until viability. It allows states to restrict any other procedure, and write all other sorts of restrictions, so long as it doesn't interfere with the basic right.

Obviously, as you say, this isn't an issue you care about much, or know much about, so you're right. We don't have to talk about it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://realchoice.blogspot.com/2008/10/third-trimester-abortions-and-law.html?m=1 http://realchoice.blogspot.com/2008/10/third-trimester-abortions-and-law.html?m=1

So you're telling me (now) that right to life would not get its way no matter how many more conservative judges there were?

But we know that if roe is overturned it's because it will be considered bad law, viability and such.

And just an FYI....

WSS

Huh? I'm not sure I follow.

Right to life groups want Roe overturned more than anything else. This would remove the Constitutional protection for abortion that exists today. That's step number one in making abortion illegal in America, and it's by far the biggest step. Yes, that would be them getting their way

From there they'd instantly introduce bills in a number of states to ban abortion, and many of them would pass. It's easily a majority opinion in states like Alabama, Tennessee, Utah, etc.

Social conservatives are the voters who piss me off the most. The only thing these motherfuckers care about is the candidate's stance on abortion because they are incapable of independent thought and need a church to tell them what is important.

Your anti god stance comes out in every fucking post you make Vapor. Ever think about that? Why the hate? Open up, tell me about it............

Ya got me. All my misgivings with the church can be traced back to the size of my penis.

I don't know what you're really looking for here, outside of some smartass thing to make fun of me for. I feel that I've been lied to for the majority of my life and I bought it. The things that these people believe are a threat to evidence-based logic and reasoning which, in turn, extends to policy. The fact that the religious right is so anti-science boggles my mind.

Science, especially the sciences of military and agriculture, is the only thing keeping the US ahead of China and Russia at the moment, and that advantage is slimming down to nothing. The US is in dire need of scientists, as about half the people I work with aren't even American citizens.

Back to PP, poor people make too many babies. Not all of them get adopted, and while they're in foster care, guess who is feeding them? Oh, that's right, the American taxpayer. Abortion makes economic sense. Personally, I think it'd be great if the government offered a $1500 bonus to anyone under 30, without children, to get sterilized. If you're that desperate for $1500, you have no business raising a child.

Abortion makes economic sense. Vapor

Then, apparently?, you think that getting all the older Americans to die, makes sense too?

And you think that the Nazi's extermination the Jews made "economic sense" ???

Despots love science. They can use it at will to perpetuate crimes against humanity.

so, if a spouse murders their spouse before the spouse can divorce them....

it makes "economic sense" ???

Some people don't understand life. Sad.

BTW, the Emotional Knee-jerk reaction to adoption as an alternative to quick and easy murder of unborn, and born, children?

"Not all of them get adopted"....

There's a long waiting list. Quit emotionalizing, and

check it out:

http://www.americanadoptions.com/family_profile/browse

science is disproving the liberal political lever - global warming.

But you libs hate THAT science.

I posted a scientific article about an asteriod coming close to earth.

You had no intelligent comment.

Even Vapor got that one.

We conservatives just don't use cherry picked conomics and science as weapons to further any agenda.

Abortion makes economic sense. Vapor

Then, apparently?, you think that getting all the older Americans to die, makes sense too?

And you think that the Nazi's extermination the Jews made "economic sense" ???

Despots love science. They can use it at will to perpetuate crimes against humanity.

so, if a spouse murders their spouse before the spouse can divorce them....

it makes "economic sense" ???

Some people don't understand life. Sad.

Sure. I'm unopposed to state-sponsored euthanasia.

Also, it seems to me that you guys thought terrorism was bullshit.

You know insulting anybody that used the term war on terror, or terrorist.

It was law enforcement responsibility as I recall.

WSS

Not true, also not true, and then, of course, not true.

No one thought the problem of Islamic terrorism didn't exist, or doesn't still exist.

I don't remember what the "insults" were. People didn't think the term served us well, or described what we were actually doing, and they changed it. And judging by what we now know of what Bin Laden was doing before he died, turns out we were right:

The al-Qaeda brand had become a problem, Bin Laden explained, because Obama administration officials “have largely stopped using the phrase ‘the war on terror’ in the context of not wanting to provoke Muslims,” and instead promoted a war against al-Qaeda. The organization’s full name was “Qaeda al-Jihad,” bin Laden noted, but in its shorthand version, “this name reduces the feeling of Muslims that we belong to them.” He proposed 10 alternatives “that would not easily be shortened to a word that does not represent us.”

And the response to terrorism was always described as multi-faceted - sometimes military, sometimes intelligence, sometimes law enforcement.

You'd save yourself a lot of time if you familiarized yourself with the actual policies of the left rather than using your wild versions, which often sound like something out of a chain email.

The left has one policy - to own society, the gov, turn everything upside down and inside out in the process,

so they can FEEL like they have worth on this planet.

so, there ya go. Everything they do is based on the feelings they have, and all their feelings relate to what I posted above.

Oh, and they like to reek of dirty water buffalo scent.

The left has one policy - to own society, the gov, turn everything upside down and inside out in the process,

so they can FEEL like they have worth on this planet.

so, there ya go. Everything they do is based on the feelings they have, and all their feelings relate to what I posted above.

Oh, and they like to reek of dirty water buffalo scent.

Cal, how do you know you have worth on this planet?

Love. Honor. Pride. Belief. Integrity. Friendship. These things are the ultimate in worth.

As they are such, so am I through them.

Most are. Some aren't. If you adhere to the right principles, and find

fullfillment in the above.... there's the ability to feel worthy.

And the planet, our society, our hometowns, our homes, are

far the better for it. That is worth.

Love. Honor. Pride. Belief. Integrity. Friendship. These things are the ultimate in worth.

but for liberals to do that, they need to turn everything inside out and upside down?

What about Gay love?

Not true, also not true, and then, of course, not true.

No one thought the problem of Islamic terrorism didn't exist, or doesn't still exist.

I don't remember what the "insult"

You'd save yourself a lot of time if you familiarized yourself with the actual policies of the left rather than using your wild versions, which often sound like something out of a chain email.

Old spare me the snow job.

As far back as the kerry campaign your strategy was to belittle anyone who seemed to be patriotic as being crazy fear ridden warmongers.

I certainly understand the tactic of just saying the opposite of what ever your opponent seems to be doing.

Probably the most dangerous result of that tactic has been the afghanistan war.

But that's another subject.

so's this for that matter.

WSS

So apparently gay people are incapable of loving to you guys?

and the common response is:

its perversion

something from the 1890s

and NAMBLA

... none of which change the topic....

No it certainly does not.

Of course gay people are capable of love.

NAMBLA members are capable of love too.

WSS

Archived