THE BROWNS BOARD

How Bout Those Cardinal Mooney Cardinals

The Cardinal Mooney Cardinals..........once again prove their metal...................winnng another STATE TITLE .........going 15-0 crushing every opponent and ending up no two in USA by USA today (disgrace no one would beat them) and number nine in the midwest region.............shoulda been one

Gotta love WINNERS WHO KEEP BEING WINNERS

dump brady quinn he is a loser

The Cardinal Mooney Cardinals..........once again prove their metal...................winnng another STATE TITLE .........going 15-0 crushing every opponent and ending up no two in STATE by USA (disgrace no one would beat them) and number nine in the midwest region.............shoulda been one

I didn't get to see them this year. Although, didn't they drop down another class to D-4?

The Cardinal Mooney Cardinals..........once again prove their metal...................winnng another STATE TITLE .........going 15-0 crushing every opponent and ending up no two in STATE by USA (disgrace no one would beat them) and number nine in the midwest region.............shoulda been one

Congrats to the Cardinals. They are a powerhouse. i'm still bummin over the Mount Union loss last weekend. Those 2nd half fumbles were killers.

Mt Union lost again to the same team.. SPANKED!!!

Actually, the same two teams have played 5 years in a row. Mt. Union and Wis.-Whitewater. In the matchups Mt. Union is up 3-2. This year, W_W won. Last year MU won. The year before W-W won, the two years before that MU won.

Does that clear things up for you putzarama?

And since when does a limpdick Steeler fan care about a D-III school in Wisconsin?

recuiting from the city of Youngstown.they should be state champs every year.

60-70 of the best ball players in the area,how many did they have in there band this year 8,10 maybe 12?

Actually, they have to share recruiting in Youngstown with Ursuline...who coincidentally won the D IV title

Congrats to the Cardinals. They are a powerhouse. i'm still bummin over the Mount Union loss last weekend. Those 2nd half fumbles were killers.

Yeah, I love the Purple Raiders as well my local paper never even gave the score

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I love the Purple Raiders as well my local paper never even gave the score

Not only did the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals move up to D 3 in Ohio and finish 15-0

In the computer HIGH SCHOOL BOWL among all of the USA they made it to the finals

and then they lost because of a computer glinch to Don Bosco of New Jersey

finishing runner up in the whole USA

dey got screwed...............computer virus

Cardinal Mooney Cardinals best in OHIO and almost best in America

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Russ Hanson aka RifferX used to blow alot of those players when he was in high school. He is gay!

akronfag is smarter than than average go...........dawgs are for idiots

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the uptick! They said it was rebuilding year and they play a D-I schedule all year.........lost only one game in 08 and none last year...........

So, it seems it is a rebuliding year........meanwhile 7 State Titles is nuttin to sneeze at............The best the legacy is incredible

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the uptick! They said it was rebuilding year and they play a D-I schedule all year.........lost only one game in 08 and none last year...........

So, it seems it is a rebuliding year........meanwhile 7 State Titles is nuttin to sneeze at............The best the legacy is incredible

Cardinal Mooney started off the 2011 season as a dvi III school again and kicked the snot out of Canton McKinley one of Ohios top div 1 schools.................................".with our fight will let you know with our might will let you know that our spirit will never never die, where that we may go we will fight and win for Mooney High"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well.... they did keep St. Edwards awake for the first half.

A lesson in manners surely won't hurt them either.

Mooney wins regional finals in 2011 against Dover scoring 70 points

the best damn team in the land

Well here we go again the Greatest of the Great the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals defeated another undefeeated team and play in the State Championship game again this week

The best of the best the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals

Chagrin Falls the latest undefeated team to fall

Well here we go again the Greatest of the Great the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals defeated another undefeeated team and play in the State Championship game again this week

The best of the best the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals

Chagrin Falls the latest undefeated team to fall

How bout those Mooney Cardinals winning their eight Ohio State Championship and beating more than one undefefeated teams in the playoffs.................you gotta love MOONEY the best of the best

Scholarship, Sanctity, Discipline the school mantra and ongoing even in these tough times

By TOM WILLIAMS

williams@vindy.com

CANTON

For Cardinal Mooney High School, eight is great.

gallery.gif Gallery: Cardinal Mooney State Champs 12022011rkymooneye50b6a_t180.jpg?d7845ce1117d86242961692c3462052fb8f99b7e<br style="clear: left;">Mooney bested the Shawnee Braves for their 8th State Championship 21-14

After the Mooney football team’s Division III state championship win on Friday at Fawcett Stadium, the student section serenaded their fans with the chant: “I believe in arithmetic.”

The 21-14 victory over Springfield Shawnee’s Braves gives Mooney eight state championships, including four in the past eight seasons. Only St. Ignatius in Cleveland with 10 has more.

Mooney’s record in championship games improved to 8-3.

As the Cardinals players celebrated their victory, several Braves fell to the turf after their school’s first state title appearance.

At the same time, quarterback P.J. Quinn, tailback Roosevelt Griffin and lineman Carmen Lanzo snuck up on head coach P.J. Fecko and delivered a shower of ice.

As the championship trophy was presented, the Cardinals were saluted by their fans as well as hundreds of Shawnee supporters who remained in the stands.

In the Mooney stands, senior Matt McCauley said the Cardinals’ student section didn’t create any special cheers against Shawnee.

“Our thing is that we are for Mooney and against no one,” McCauley said. “We’re here to cheer for our guys.”

Mooney’s win was anything but secure until late in the fourth quarter. Trailing 21-7 at halftime, the Braves (14-1) scored the only points of the second half when quarterback Brad Jarzab scored on a 7-yard run with 5:38 to go.

On their final possession, the Braves (with the help of two pass-interference penalties) drove to the Mooney 12. But on fourth and six, Cardinals defensive back Ryan Farragher

batted away Jarzab’s final pass in the end zone to seal the win.

Lineman Austin Trgovich said his reaction after that play “is indescribable. The whole stands going nuts — that was one of the greatest feelings in the world.”

After winning four state titles (two in Division IV, two in Division III), Fecko was asked to compare this one to the others in 2004, 2006 and 2009.

“At this point, it’s a little bit difficult for me to evaluate how they are different or not different,” Fecko said. “It’s impossible to rate them, and I won’t.”

Instead, he anticipates a time to look back.

“It usually takes a little time to reflect on the season,” Fecko said. “That’s a wonderful thing when you win a state championship, that you go the distance and then you step back on a positive note and you get a chance to think back on all the special moments that have occurred.”

Fecko’s calm demeanor was noticed in the postgame press conference.

“What you see is what you get — I don’t get very excited, I don’t get very depressed,” Fecko said. “Our team takes on that personality. It’s a matter of showing up and going to work, punching a clock. I’m from a blue-collar

family, and one thing my dad taught me is to work as hard as you can.

“At the end of the day, your rewards will come,” Fecko said, “And they have.”

One of the Cardinals’ three losses was to arch-rival Ursuline High School (25-21) in Week 9.

Quinn said the defeat by the Fighting Irish taught them a great lesson for the postseason.

“We knew we didn’t want that feeling again, so we really buckled down, didn’t take any team lightly,” Quinn said.

Other stories of interest

• 2 weeks later...

The Cardinal Mooney Cardinals..........once again prove their metal...................winnng another STATE TITLE .........going 15-0 crushing every opponent and ending up no two in USA by USA today (disgrace no one would beat them) and number nine in the midwest region.............shoulda been one

As much as I hate Coldwater I love that State final they played against Cardinal Mooney a few years ago when they were huge under dogs and came back after being down 14 at half time to win 28-21. That was the year Mooney had like 4 or more D1 commits, 3 of which went to Penn State and Coldwater only had Adam Homan... the back up FB at Ohio State.

Also Nice to see Marion Local dominate again and bring the MAC another state ring and once again even though I hate Coldwater it was nice to see them make it to the finals after losing their great football coach John Reed to cancer. Best damn football conference in Ohio.

Archived