THE BROWNS BOARD

About free speech, and the truth about Robert E. Lee

calfoxwc

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/black-lives-matter-activists-float-criminalization-of-confederate-imagery/

"Even the most liberal Supreme Court justice knows that the remedy to hateful or offensive speech is opposing speech," Eddie Zipperer, an assistant professor of political science at Georgia Military College, told LifeZette. "This would be a blatant violation of the First Amendment."

"Leftists always haul out the argument that you can't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater, so free speech has limits," he said. "But that argument is nonsensical. Historically, the Supreme Court goes to any length to protect political speech — even wildly unpopular speech."

"The greatest threat to Congressional Black Caucus' new 'cultural revolution,' inspired by an illiberal and anti-democratic worldview, is an environment in which free and uninhibited discussion and disagreement can take place," Cheek continued.

"In fact, diversity of thought is the opposite of their desires, but is at the heart of a free society. The proponents of historical cleansing are on the ascendency, and the authentic study of the American South is the victim," he said.

The particular assault on statues of Gen. Robert E. Lee showcases the degree to which emotion has overridden important historical context.

Robert E. Lee, that alleged symbol of white supremacy and racism, not only personally opposed overt displays of Confederate symbolism after the war but also believed that the entire war — the Confederate defeat and the personal loss of his Arlington property and fortune — was worth it to see slavery ended.

"I am rejoiced that slavery is abolished," said Lee in 1870. "I believe it will be greatly for the interests of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this, as regards Virginia especially, that I would cheerfully have lost all I have lost by the war, and have suffered all I have suffered, to have this object attained."

Lee is not referred to as a general at West Point or anywhere else by the US military. He was a general of the confederacy - not of the US.

He was a proponent of ENDING the lost cause and actually being one country.

So, if you actually want to honor Lee, don't just talk about him - do what he urged everyone to do.

Archived