THE BROWNS BOARD

Tiamat's 2017 Camp observations and thoughts

tiamat63

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll post what I have now.. More to come so enjoy. Ignore if I jump the Gun

3/4tech - Bryant--Enough Depth at position if traded?

MIKE - Tank​-never did like his lateral either

SLB - Kirk - helmet visor is fucking siiiiiiiick.​mirrored?

SS - Kindred--nice he's back with Campbell out

FS - Kai Though a lot of players saw looks at this spot. McCourtny/Pryor?

2nd team line - Coley--I was shocked by this guys size & arm length and Ogunjobi--what did you see here,ahead of Meder?

DB's There's just nobody with the combination of range and experience with instincts to successfully man deep centee from game 1 to game 16 and play at a high level.. Was draftee Wilson from Houston anywhere on field?

Cam Erving - Coach Williams even shit talked him. they'd call you Big Tit Turd Erv at my school Shon Coleman- Just needs to keep polishing his game.great to hear..

DL - Meder really struggled today and I'm wondering if he makes this team.Not great to hear. Bryant I'll say straight up was pushed around on early downs as well. At the moment, Des is a liability in that regard. Coley needs to be in there and I'd like to say that I've harped a ton on hand usage every time I watch ANY lineman. Trevon looks like he's trying to knock you the fuck out with his hands. They're heavy, they're violent and he lands his punches everytime. AGREED,but got to keep 1? Des or Meder Should have drawn two holding calls when he was singled up. Maybe even a third but the zebra's didn't toss any laundry today for that.Got the right guy at camp to complain about refs still. Who are these refs? NFL scrubs,Ncaa,HS in area?

Brantley has the fastest get off of all our lineman. That includes Coop. If he puts it together, the technique, the leverage, the pad level... holy shit. I was there with one of my team mates, my center, and the first words out of his mouth "Fuck no, I feel bad for the guards that get singled up on him". NICE did not play much preseason 1.attention getter

LB's - I was fucking shocked he wasn't the guy selling nachos at one point. Sure he was Tank-- Two down linebacker in every sense of the word unless some minor miracle happens in the next few weeks. LB & CB maybe WR--Am lost on this final cut down. Do we not get the 1st waiver crack at all these guys that hit waivers?

RB -Not sure when this well paid O-line will see time to gell on timing but Hue should be all in on running the rock down some throats

Awesome Camp Report Tia..Threw up some stuff in Red. They can wait till your later visits if needed..Again Solid Stuff & Hope we get more Mary-less Reports

Awesome Camp Report Tia..Threw up some stuff in Red. They can wait till your later visits if needed..Again Solid Stuff & Hope we get more Mary-less Reports

I've got more coming, I didn't expect to put in 12 hours today. My fault all around, fellas.

To answer your questions in order.

- Yes there's enough depth but it's unproven depth. Coley & Brantley would be next up. However Des is still great at pushing the pocket in the live passing drills. Coach Williams LOVES pass rushers.

- Kirk's visor is mirrored and its nasty.

- McCourty sat. Pryor didn't get any looks in the single high stuff as deep center field. Kai, Kindred and Peppers.

- Larry needs some work physically but I fear, like Meder, he's maxed out. Ultimately he showed better than Meder which is why I said on the bubble.

- Between Des or Meder it's Des.

- Couldn't tell who the refs were but I saw the clear holds on Myles

- Not sure about waiver priority but I'll tell you team need stands as QB, DB & WR in that order at the moment.

- Oline looks to be getting rest for the dress rehearsal game 4. I suspect you'll get a long look at them then.

Get used to the uncalled holds with Myles. SEC Jr NFL rarely even called the rodeo bulldogs around the neck as he'd blow by. Those O linemen would rather take the chance than they would have their QB blindsided. Refs rarely make that call with him unless someone clearly is holding the back of his jersey without letting go for more than a couple of seconds after he has gotten past. It's not right but that's how it is.

And I too thought game 3 is the dress rehearsal. But you never know since this crew wants to go into the season on a winning run.

I think Meader will be a casualty.

I didn't like the fact that he had to play LAST year...because our DL was in such need.

I know that he blocked a kick that helped us get our only win...and for that I'm eternally grateful to him. (I REALLY wanted our guys to get at least ONE freakin' lousy win...and be able to smile at one another after a game).

I'm sure Meader is a great guy, works his tail off, etc. etc. But I'd like to have better football players.

I think Meader will be a casualty.

I didn't like the fact that he had to play LAST year...because our DL was in such need.

I know that he blocked a kick that helped us get our only win...and for that I'm eternally grateful to him. (I REALLY wanted our guys to get at least ONE freakin' lousy win...and be able to smile at one another after a game).

I'm sure Meader is a great guy, works his tail off, etc. etc. But I'd like to have better football players.

Here is why I think he remains on the team: From Terry Pluto

Williams said: "A defensive lineman has a fist fight in a phone booth for three hours, then he has to run back-and-forth." He was explaining why he wants to play most of his linemen around 50 percent of the snaps to keep them fresh. He mentioned Myles Garrett playing 80-90 snaps at Texas A&M last season. "You can't play 80 snaps."

In the words of Pac - "part 2, still ballin".

Follow up notes from all the short hand I put down.

- Garrett OWNED Rod Johnson. Like, it was bad. What I saw was illegal in at least 6 different states.

- A lot of 21 personnel groupings. Didn't see any of the gun with the double back side pulls like I witnessed with RG3 last year.

- With that 21 personnel came a lot of 4 wide and bunch sets and as you can imagine, Duke split into the slot role. Surprisingly flex on the LOS quite a bit. He beat Currie on a Texas (angle route for some of you) and Oz never looked his way.

- Nothing in the way of flanker or TE's screens that I saw. No package plays for Peppers. Entirely possible it's being withheld or not happening at all. Again, carries on offense take their toll.

- His throwing motion might look better but his ball action fake is still shit. Kizer HAS to sell that stretch better otherwise he's going to get splattered by backside pursuit after the fake.

- Ricardo not only looks night and day better from last year but he didn't bobble a single catch. Had a great backshoulder adjustment against man thrown by Oz. Then Kess had a bad overthrow on a 12 yard comeback. You could tell Louis was frustrated by that because he stuck his left hand down and yelled where he wanted the ball placed.

- Hue is still trying to set our QB's up with easy reads quite often. And no, I don't just mean Kizer. Motion to some flood was pretty common.

- Your 'move' TE looks to be a feature this year. 21 and 31 personnel had Devalve flying all over the place

- More open/weak side runs than last year. Which is encouraging to see as Crow and Dayes both played the cutbacks well throughout the day.

- I was surprised how effective Fabiano was at combo blocking. As a center, that's kind of his bread and butter... but he worked off initial contact and got the second level a couple times and did it in a hurry.

All in all, the defense looks improved. I expect the Oline to be better and thus the running game. So long as coach sticks with his word and remains committed to pounding the rock. I also see signs of an offense and coaching staff trying to find the best ways to get the ball into the hands of the playmaking pass catchers through personnel and formation groupings, but I cannot stress this enough, do not expect the offense to hum with ANY of our QB's unless we find a running game that's like 2011 Niners dominant.

You see pieces, you see improvement. But you still have another draft and development of young players to go. Of course this includes adding the most important piece on the board - your QB. I'm still convinced a top flight receiver is in order. However QB and secondary really need to addressed in the 2018 offseason unless Kizer progresses that much. There are flashes with him like any sought after rookie, and it was very nice to see him stay behind in practice to throw extra passes making that motion second nature. It doesn't make up for game speed reads, anticipation and timing. He still has a long way to go. If you want to start him week 1, be my guest. I can all but promise you though he won't be leaps and bounds better than Oz or Kess at this time.

Outstanding note taking...

Tour - Shon held his own quite well. Still needs to polish his kick step but RT appears to be solidified.

Good to read... Joe will work on the kick with him.

- Garrett OWNED Rod Johnson. Like, it was bad. What I saw was illegal in at least 6 different states.

- His throwing motion might look better but his ball action fake is still shit. Kizer HAS to sell that stretch better otherwise he's going to get splattered by backside pursuit after the fake.

- I was surprised how effective Fabiano was at combo blocking. As a center, that's kind of his bread and butter... but he worked off initial contact and got the second level a couple times and did it in a hurry.

Rod is raw with a little "Cam" in him, but not so much that he cannot overcome it.

Only Kess has shown much PAP proficiency... and he had it last year.

Fabs does have some game...

Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

... Larry Ogunjobi...

Kid that seemed to keep making plays late was hybrid-LB, Kenneth Olugbode...

Announcers everywhere have to hope one or the other gets cut...

Thanks man, appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of people who can't make it.

Just wondering, do you have any more information on Larry Ogunjobi that you saw? I'm a proud UNC-Charlotte alumni and I'm hoping he excels in Cleveland. It seems like Coley and Brantley might be getting more initial looks though.

Sorry I didnt catch this. Larry was in with the third team. I never saw him make much of a splash so nothing great to report.

so 3 starters out of 36 picks in the last 2 years?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show your math? Looks more a minimum of seven to me... three O and three D plus one K... and could go as high as 10.

• O: S. Coleman, C. Coleman, Louis or Payton with Devalve a possible... so 3 to 4.
  • D: Garrett, Ogbah, Kindred with Peppers and Schobert as possibles... so 3 to 5 or 6.

Show your math? Looks more a minimum of seven to me... three O and three D plus one K... and could go as high as 10.

• O: S. Coleman, C. Coleman, Louis or Payton with Devalve a possible... so 3 to 4.
  • D: Garrett, Ogbah, Kindred with Peppers and Schobert as possibles... so 3 to 5 or 6.

out of 36?

what is that like 10%?

3 starters out of 24 equals what?...... a whopping 12.5 %.

exactly. there's ur math bucko.

LOL! He just gave you 3 to 4 on O and 3-6 on D, so minimum of 6 and max of 10, so how does that add up to 3 mik? Back to math 101 you go. :D

Sashi Brown knows math?.

• O: S. Coleman, C. Coleman, Louis or Payton
  • D: Kindred with Peppers

6 of your maybe picks relate to the Wentz trade.. He better not miss .. :ph34r: (Kizer,Kessler & Durango are on deck with the safety net)

LOL! He just gave you 3 to 4 on O and 3-6 on D, so minimum of 6 and max of 10, so how does that add up to 3 mik? Back to math 101 you go. :D

Hahaha!!

Key word was 'possible'.

Show me proven NFL talent...Nassib, Coleman, Ogbah ....really???????? That's 3 BTW.

6 of your maybe picks relate to the Wentz trade.. He better not miss .. :ph34r: (Kizer,Kessler & Durango are on deck with the safety net)

Did not realize that.

Hahaha!! Key word was 'possible'. Show me proven NFL talent...Nassib, Coleman, Ogbah ....really???????? That's 3 BTW.

The key word was yours: "starter". Not all starters are created equal. Some are stars. Some are "solid". Some are by default.

Archived