THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 Ohio Highschool Football Season

Its that time again.

This year Colerain is getting some national preseason love. Defending State Champions St. Edward is also getting some preseason love from a few national rankings.

At the top of Div. I are the usual's

St. Ign

Mentor

Wayne

Moeller

St. X

Ed's

Elder

Who's your favorite and who do you see standing out as the season move forward?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McKinley has been on a steady decline for years.

Not a lot of surprises in week 1.

Mentor vs. St. Ig. this week and Glenville vs. St. Edward also.

That's a lot of D1 talent in those two games. Both should be close games.

Berea Midpark is of to a good start, they've got some talented athletes....my sleeper pick to make a little noise this year.(playoffs anyways...)

• 2 weeks later...

McKinley has been on a steady decline for years.

Not a lot of surprises in week 1.

Mentor vs. St. Ig. this week and Glenville vs. St. Edward also.

That's a lot of D1 talent in those two games. Both should be close games.

Berea Midpark is of to a good start, they've got some talented athletes....my sleeper pick to make a little noise this year.(playoffs anyways...)

I played two years for midpark (the meteors, not the titans obviously) so I always hope they do well even if they merged with rival Berea.

looks like Mentor is stepping up there schedule next year also by putting St. Edward on the schedule.

St. Ig. is not that good this year, neither is St. Eds. (they're still good just not elite)

The Cincy teams are very tough this year and like every year beat themselves up during the regular season. Very tough schedules.

Whoever wins the state title(Div 1) is not going to have an undefeated record.

This past week alone

Colerain lost to LaSalle

St.X slaughtered Mentor\

St, Eds lost 22-20 to a NJ team

St. Ig. squeaked by a Parma middleschool team.

Moeller won and Elder won.

The week before Wayne beat Moeller. Playing some of the most difficult schedules possible is what seasons these teams come playoff time.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is probably a question with an obvious answer for you guys, but somebody fill me in on what's wrong with Massillon. They haven't won a state championship in like 40 years right? I watched "Go Tigers." Great movie. Can't believe they aren't winning with their resources.

I know this is probably a question with an obvious answer for you guys, but somebody fill me in on what's wrong with Massillon. They haven't won a state championship in like 40 years right? I watched "Go Tigers." Great movie. Can't believe they aren't winning with their resources.

Well, they don't have nearly the resources that the parochial schools have. Massillon is an older industrial town that has lost a lot of population due to suburban flight (Perry, Jackson have grown larger around it)....and due to job losses. And it is just a public school. The likes of St. Eds and St. Ig. and SVSM have "more to offer" wink, wink, nudge nudge, than do regular public schools.

It is still a good program, but just can't compete with the money those other schools offer.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Gipper is taking his yearly dump in the highschool football thread.....

Things are shaking out in D1

St Edward is at the top of the state rankings and is the highest nationally ranked team from Ohio.

Huber Heights Wayne is undefeated and needs to get past a very difficult Region including St.X, Elder and Colerain if they want to return to the StateChampionship.

Some local teams getting high local rankings include Stow, BereaMidpark, Hudson and Mentor.

Region 1 seems to have a big let down of talent once you get past St. Edward while Region 2 is loaded.

Playoffs are a month away still, lots of football left to play.

Doesn't seem like anyone is lol...

Plain Dealer has upped their coverage of local schools doing well. Ohio has great highschool football they are in the top five for quality and talent on a yearly basis.

Its interesting how each state handles their playoff systems and divisional placements differently.

Iggy vs Moeller this week, the top two teams with state championships go at it while both are fighting for a playoff spot.

Doesn't seem like anyone is lol...

Plain Dealer has upped their coverage of local schools doing well. Ohio has great highschool football they are in the top five for quality and talent on a yearly basis.

Its interesting how each state handles their playoff systems and divisional placements differently.

Iggy vs Moeller this week, the top two teams with state championships go at it while both are fighting for a playoff spot.

I think if you go back in time far enough you will find that Massillon probably has more titles than those two. If you are just counting playoff period...since mid 70s, those two probably have it.

Sorry, I've been busy this season and haven't had a chance to attend a lot of games.

I did however attend the Mentor @ St. X game in Cincinnati ... my observation, the Cincy programs are talented, and I never seen Mentor so lethargic before in many decades. Maybe it was the long bus trip (they stopped at OSU and toured the facilities along the way). Not sure why this was a Friday night game. I do know one thing, that it always appears that this travel across the State to play each others seems a HUGE disadvantage to the traveling team. Case in point: St. Ignatius beat St. X last Saturday.

It will be St, Ed's verse Cincinnati's best in the Finals, IMO. Ed's killed Moeller last week (49-17) and have wins over Elder as well.

Sorry if I am a Johnny come lately on some of these topics, but I live here in Berea and my kids attend the Berea Schools. Berea-Midpark Titans won't do anything in the playoffs until they start getting better competition on the regular schedule. They had ONE (yes one) D1 opponent on their schedule this season and it was Lakewood who is currently 0-9. I like many of the Big programs attitude of, "If we can't beat'em in the regular season than we don't deserve to be in the playoffs"

I feel bad for Ignatius. I hear that in inking a new deal to play at Byers field that they had to agree to play the other teams that share that stadium (Normandy, Valley Forge and Parma) who are a combined 4-23 at this stage in the season. That is hurting Iggy's chances of making the playoffs. If Berea-Midpark had Iggy's schedule they would be 3-5 and sitting home this post season.

Iggy may have to beat Ed's in order to make the playoffs.

Mentor is missing something this year. They are not that good, but remind me of OSU. They have talent but are just not clicking. Their schedule isn't "tough" but it is solid with opponents combining for a 48-41 record to-date. Wins over St. Ignatius (5-3), Euclid (7-2) are the highlight. A crushing blow-out to St. X (5-4) and a loss to Solon (7-2) pit them within mediocrisy. I don't expect much from them in the playoffs and possibly even a first round exit.

Don't count Ignatius out. I've seen Coach Kyle take a stumbling mediocre first-half of the season team and have them more than ready for the playoffs. It's why them and Mentor usually split wins/losses against each other when they face one another in the regular season and then again in the post season.

It may take Ignatius beating Eds in order for Moeller to get into the playoffs ... ouch.

My Sleeper pick to "make some noise" is EUCLID (as much as I hate to say that, as growing up in Mentor they were our hated rival). They were returning a huge amount of Seniors who now have another season under their belt. With losses only to Glenville & Mentor and a win over Solon, Strongsville, Elyria, Brunswick & Medina in consecutive weeks - they are fairly solid and could make a post season run and cause an upset. They are currently #4 in computer points.

Here is the standings at this hour for Region #1:

#1 St. Eds (Clinched #1 seed)

#2. Westerville Central

#3. Stow-Monroe Falls (hasn't played a D1 school yet this year)

#4. Euclid

#5. Mentor

#6. Olentangy

#7. GlenOak

#8. Olentangy Liberty

#9. Whitmer

#10. Solon

#11. Canton McKinley

#12. Start (Toledo)

The last 4 spots are up for grabs, with front runners being: Austintown Fitch, Berea-Midpark, and Elyria. Those with a fighting chance are Ignatius, Jackson, Lorain and Strongsville.

Here is the standings at this hour for Region #2:

#1. Colerain
#2. Hilliard Davidson
#3. Lancaster
#4. Huber Heights Wayne
#5. Gahanna-Lincoln
#6. Upper Arlington
#7. Mason
Controls own destiny: Elder, Pickerington Central, St. X, Fairfield, Hilliard Darby, Dpirngboro and Centerville. Others with a chance include: Lakota West, Reynoldsburg, Central Crossing, Moeller, Beavercreek and Dublin Coffman.
Bring On Post Season Play!

I don't have a problem with the Divisions, I just don't like how a lot of the bigger programs have jumped or been kicked from one league to another. Then there are the programs who are still playing teams from the leagues they use to be in and it just seems like by the time schools start fitting into where they belong it all changes again. Instead of classifying divisions, more effort should be in structuring leagues for long term competitiveness.

I don't have a problem with the Divisions, I just don't like how a lot of the bigger programs have jumped or been kicked from one league to another. Then there are the programs who are still playing teams from the leagues they use to be in and it just seems like by the time schools start fitting into where they belong it all changes again. Instead of classifying divisions, more effort should be in structuring leagues for long term competitiveness.

Well, yep, that has happened with the league that the school my wife works at (and kids went to) is in. The Suburban League. Just this year, big changes have been made. Two schools, Green and Cloverleaf out.....and like 8 new schools in. Plus they went to a division format. Plus, they put Wadsworth in the division where all the schools are furthest away.....instead of being in the division with Barberton/Copley/Revere/Highland they are in with Stow/Aurora/Twinsburg/Brecksville/Nordonia.....ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburban_League

But, still 7 divisions are too many. I wouldn't mind if they went back to 3....or 4 at most.

Why is 7 divisions too many? OHSAA realized that school sizes across the board were declining and added the DIvision's 6 and 7, because of smaller and smaller schools.

And does 7 divisions take away from the other divisions? Really?

Returning to three or four divisions would be "fair" (I know, no such thing) if small rural schools had some kind of forced consolidation. Some of these Division 7 schools have class sizes of 30 to 40 kids (girls and boys) combined.

My school/my children's school might be faced with not having a team next year - When my son and his class graduates this year, there will be a whopping thirteen boys left from this years JV and Varsity programs. And the 8th grade had to be combined with the 7th grade squad this year so maybe five to eight kids that played junior high ball will play high school ball.

Why is 7 divisions too many? OHSAA realized that school sizes across the board were declining and added the DIvision's 6 and 7, because of smaller and smaller schools.

And does 7 divisions take away from the other divisions? Really?

Returning to three or four divisions would be "fair" (I know, no such thing) if small rural schools had some kind of forced consolidation. Some of these Division 7 schools have class sizes of 30 to 40 kids (girls and boys) combined.

My school/my children's school might be faced with not having a team next year - When my son and his class graduates this year, there will be a whopping thirteen boys left from this years JV and Varsity programs. And the 8th grade had to be combined with the 7th grade squad this year so maybe five to eight kids that played junior high ball will play high school ball.

Having 7 divisions smacks to me of it being basically a "participation trophy" for those smaller schools. Like I said, I think 4 divisions would suffice.

But....of course....you know it is all about money. The OHSAA gets the money from the gate fees of all those games.

Sure, it then divvies it out to the schools....but it keeps a fair portion of it.

Mentor losing to Elyria (6-4) and Berea-Midpark losing to Westlake (3-7) in Week #10 ... ouch!

My Playoff Bitch:

Stow (2nd Seed) & Berea-Midpark (#15 seed) play a full schedule against D2 schools and get in. Stow played only TWO D1 schools and they had a combined record of (3-17), meanwhile Berea-Midpark played ONE D1 School with a record of (1-9) ... these two (Berea-Midpark @ Stow) will face each other in Round #1, so one of them will advance to second round, meanwhile St. Ignatius who could beat 15 of the 16 teams in the playoffs, is left out because of their (hard) schedule.

Let's just move on to the Championship, St Edwards takes Region-1 without breaking a sweat. My guess is that Ed's will face Westerville Central or Euclid face them in the semi's.

I hate to make such predictions against my Mentor Cardinals, but I'm not sure they get past Glen Oak in Round #1 ... at least it is at Mentor where they have been nearly flawless for a decade ... errr ... until last Friday against Elyria.

Mentor losing to Elyria (6-4) and Berea-Midpark losing to Westlake (3-7) in Week #10 ... ouch!

My Playoff Bitch:

Stow (2nd Seed) & Berea-Midpark (#15 seed) play a full schedule against D2 schools and get in. Stow played only TWO D1 schools and they had a combined record of (3-17), meanwhile Berea-Midpark played ONE D1 School with a record of (1-9) ... these two (Berea-Midpark @ Stow) will face each other in Round #1, so one of them will advance to second round, meanwhile St. Ignatius who could beat 15 of the 16 teams in the playoffs, is left out because of their (hard) schedule.

Let's just move on to the Championship, St Edwards takes Region-1 without breaking a sweat. My guess is that Ed's will face Westerville Central or Euclid face them in the semi's.

I hate to make such predictions against my Mentor Cardinals, but I'm not sure they get past Glen Oak in Round #1 ... at least it is at Mentor where they have been nearly flawless for a decade ... errr ... until last Friday against Elyria.

Stow may beat them all. That is my point about the divisions. Your complaint is that Stow plays mostly D-2 schools as their league is made of mostly D-2 schools. I say that there is a sliver of difference between a D-2 school and a D-1 school.

And no one told Ignatius they had to play a "hard" schedule. Maybe they should just play a schedule consisting of the other parochial schools around NE Ohio. What would be wrong with that?

Stow is last years Hudson.

Was really surprised Berea lost to Westlake, there is word of some internal issues in Berea...

St Edward is the favorite but everyone is dangerous in the playoffs. St. Edward vs. Wayne in the title game. Colerain is a very good team but like Wayne they haven't stepped out of there comfort zone a lot, as far as opponents go.

As far as scheduling for a St. Ig. or St. Edward teams will not schedule them. The playoff system does not reward you for losing to good teams. Props to Mentor for adding eds and st x though in the next couple years.

But, for purposes of the OHSAA, the following school have the highest enrollment of males:

1. Mason HS: 1350

2. St. Xavier: 1217

3. St. Ignatius: 1170

4. Fairfield: 1104

5. Centerville: 1071

6. Canton McKinley & Timken: 1056 (not sure why they are combined)

7. Lakota East: 989

8. Mentor: 960

9. Hamilton: 950

10. Cincinnati Oak Hills 932

.....Strongsville 931

11. Beavercreek 923

12. Kettering Fairmount 889

13. Gahanna Lincoln: 868

14. Brunswick: 859

.....Huber Heights Wayne 857

15. Berea-Midpark: 845

16. Lakota West: 834

17. Reynoldsburg: 827

18. Toledo Whitmer: 804

19. Medina: 798

20. Springfield: 777

21. Elyria: 769

22. Grove City: 760

23. Olentangy Liberty: 757

.....Pickerington North: 757

24. Colerain: 741

.....Hilliard Davidson 734

.....Middletown 734

25. Dublin Coffman: 730

26. St. Edward: 721

27. Shaker Hts.: 720

28. Euclid: 719

29. Rhodes: 717

30. Lancaster: 715

.....Jackson: 713

31. Stow: 709

32. GlenOak: 702

32. Cin. Sycamore: 702

33. Milford: 701

Maybe any school with over 700 male students should have a separate division. I know that the divisions go much further down than that....as where I live, Wadsworth, there are 569 male students.

Now, why should a school that size be competing in the same division with schools that are 1300...1200...1100..1000 strong?

Note: I had to edit because I missed some....but I didn't want to renumber everything....so I just inserted using.....

Stow is last years Hudson.

Was really surprised Berea lost to Westlake, there is word of some internal issues in Berea...

St Edward is the favorite but everyone is dangerous in the playoffs. St. Edward vs. Wayne in the title game. Colerain is a very good team but like Wayne they haven't stepped out of there comfort zone a lot, as far as opponents go.

As far as scheduling for a St. Ig. or St. Edward teams will not schedule them. The playoff system does not reward you for losing to good teams. Props to Mentor for adding eds and st x though in the next couple years.

I am not sure they should be given any great props......they are merely scheduling the other teams in the state that are in the Top 10 in enrollment as they are (see above).....and as they should do.

Having 7 divisions smacks to me of it being basically a "participation trophy" for those smaller schools. Like I said, I think 4 divisions would suffice.

But....of course....you know it is all about money. The OHSAA gets the money from the gate fees of all those games.

Sure, it then divvies it out to the schools....but it keeps a fair portion of it.

just curious - do you ever watch any games in the smaller divisions? Or is this a view from afar?