The Gipper

Browns ownership, 1961

National Insurance Co. 30%

Bob Gries 20% <--- and future partner of Modell

Homer Marshman 14%

Jones Ryan 12%

Ellis Ryan 12%

Paul Brown 12%

Enter Modell, Fred "Curly" Morrison, a former Browns running back who worked as an advertising executive for CBS television, learned in 1960 that Dave Jones was looking to sell the Browns and told the story to Art Modell, a 35-year-old advertising and television executive from Brooklyn.

Modell was intrigued, partly because of the potentially lucrative television rights that one of the NFL's most successful franchises could bring as football began to challenge baseball as America's biggest sport. Having borrowed as much money as he could, Modell completed the purchase in March 1961 for $3.925 million. Bob Gries, who had a share in the Browns from the beginning, agreed to buy in again at the new valuation and take a stake of almost 40%, defraying Modell's costs substantially, he only put in $250,000 of his own money having borrowed the rest.

Not exactly the Rooney story at all.

Had to look that up mjp- $250k in 2017 dollars is about $2 million. Artie did quite well on his investment.

He won the SB. Cleveland treated him like scum. Cleveland wanted rid of him since the day he righteously fired Paul Browns. Cleveland got what it wanted. It took getting the fuck out of Cleveland for Modell to win a superbowl, so, yeah, he gets the last laugh.

Bull s**t. Art's dead Tom, he's not laughing much. Get rid of Modell? Yeah, there were a few disgruntled fans, I well remember the "Jump Art, and land on Bill" banners. That was the minority opinion though. Modell got treated like royalty in Cleveland. Stadium lease for a buck a year, got to keep all the concession money (even from his captive tenants, the Indians). Had the first "luxury" boxes too. When the Tribe moved out, Artie was in deep financial doo-doo. Ya see- and it's been well documented- Modell just couldn't leave well enough alone. He kept on borrowing against his Browns equity that was growing by orders of magnitude, until his cash flow couldn't keep up with his loan payments. Even the Baltimore\Maryland $70 million bribe wasn't enough to keep him afloat. Enter Steve Biscotti to save Art's sorry ass, and save him the indignity of getting foreclosed on by Fleet Bank. Look it up if you don't believe me. Nope, Art was all about what's best for Art, screw the fans who wildly supported the team. His pious bleating "I had no choice" rings totally hollow. There was an issue on the Cleveland ballot for money to renovate CBS- all Art publicly asked for, or did you forget that? He could have sold the team to Al Lerner then and there, but nope, he wanted to pass the team down to his cigar chompin' kid (who died of cancer recently, RIP). So he got neither. Outside of Baltimore, he's looked on as a pariah, and he ended up with no team too. Nothing short of Divine Justice from my POV.

I'll end my rant with one of my favorite quotes from Frank DeFord after Art was forced to sell out. "Sorry Art, you're just not rich enough to own a football team anymore."

Again.

you guys are the hypocrites. Entitled. Always someone else's fault. Always the ref's fault,,. Always luck, always "this guy wants too much".

Where to even start with your testicle sniffers?

Regarding Modell. HE WONT THE SB. Biscotti didn't buy controlling interest until a few years later. Art Modell was a great man, He did the right thing by firing Paul Brown. If it wasn't for Modell, Paul would never have been able to buy the Bengals. Great owner, Art was. He knew more about football than most head coaches. Certianly, more than anyone in Cleveland.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/history/art-modell-memory.html

Art did not control things. Like I said, he was just El Cid. A dead man propped up on a horse. And David was just a fly hanging around the horse's ass.

Only persons deserving any credit were Biscotti....and Ozzie Newsome.

If you want to give Art any credit, give him credit for hiring Ozzie. But even with that, no decent team without Biscotti's money.

?...You were even given the definition, yet still don't know it means.

I'm mildly amused at the mental gymnastics necessary to type all the bullshit. ?

Please don't stop now...Just got my popcorn ready

Typical lies made up because you can't rip the team's success, so you create myths to drag them down.

FACT: The San Diego Chargers initiated TEAM WIDE steroid use in the early 1960s. Not the Steelers.

FACT: I've posted documentation before of the Cleveland Brownies own 'roid use in the '60s. Don't make me do it again.

FACT: You have no idea how the Steelers tried to help Webster. Or at what point you can't help someone anymore.

FACT: Roethlisberger was never even charged with jaywalking, let alone "rape." The first case was with some nut who wrote emails to her friend bragging about how she was going to get pregnant with Little Ben. The second case was investigated by a DA who declared the forensic evidence didn't back up the accuser's claim (an accuser who changed her story three times).

The problem with you yahoos is you have no concept of gratitude. Some idiot here actually wrote "Fuck Dan Rooney." Really? Fuck the guy who bothered to give a shit about your sorry asses when the rest of the league couldn't care less if you had football or not? Fuck the guy who then worked to get the team back (and spare me the Ralph Wilson line, yeah he voted against the move but it was Rooney who took the inititiative to get the team back in Cleveland)? You should be bowing down to the name of Rooney and kissing the ass of every Steeler fan on earth. If you had any common sense.

I don't expect you to love the Steelers. But if you don't respect Rooney for what he did for Cleveland, then you're an idiot.

Yes!.. and fuck you too!

I see the moron himself has arrived.

Just remember, the only reason you're even watching your sorry team draft today is Dan Rooney.

Umm no.. it was the great fans of Cleveland that pestered the fuck out of Paul Tagliabue.. Yes.. Rooney said a few favorable things... But he was not the sole reason they came back , Goober....

Ha ha! You actually think Tagliabue in New York gave a crap about what some "pestering" yahoos out in the sticks did? No, Tagliabue gave a crap about keeping football in Cleveland because Rooney TOLD him to.

You my friend are in severe need of a lesson in gratitude. So, all Rooney did was "say a few favorable things?" Uh, read on:

Did you get that? It was Rooney who is responsible for the Cleveland Browns not being called the Baltimore Browns. Because it was Rooney who required that unless Modell left the name and colors in Cleveland, he's wasn't getting his deal in Baltimore. Bet you didn't know that, did you? DAN ROONEY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CLEVELAND BROWNS STILL BEING CALLED THE CLEVELAND BROWNS. Got that?

And where do you think Haslam came from? Hey ingrate, he was a minority owner of the Steelers first. Rooney got him to step up and buy the Browns when it had to be done. And there's more:

Just words, huh? Yeah, that's why it was Rooney who got Lerner and Policy in. Not Ralph Wilson. Not anybody else.

Football returned to Cleveland because of Dan Rooney, whose words, yes, DO mean a lot. If you think a bunch of yahoos pestering Tagliabue is what got your team back, you're even dumber than I thought. Get a clue, Gomer. You owe Rooney EVERYTHING.

he did not faggot,,, take your drivel elsewhere... I owe him nothing but a pile of shit..

Did you get that? It was Rooney who is responsible for the Cleveland Browns not being called the Baltimore Browns. Because it was Rooney who required that unless Modell left the name and colors in Cleveland, he's wasn't getting his deal in Baltimore. Bet you didn't know that, did you? DAN ROONEY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CLEVELAND BROWNS STILL BEING CALLED THE CLEVELAND BROWNS. Got that?

Well, lets get our facts correct. While yes, Dan Rooney was supportive of the Browns staying in Cleveland....he had nothing to do with the settlement...other than perhaps give moral support....which is appreciated.

But the person's responsible for the Browns staying in Cleveland is the City of Cleveland itself....who was the Plaintiff in the action for Specific Performance.

The lease required that the Browns continue to play in Municipal Stadium for the next 3 years.

It was a condition of the settlement that allowed Modell to leave that the Browns...and all that goes with them... stay here.

The real architect of that deal was a Cleveland City attorney by the name of Frederick Nance. Again, yes, Rooney had their back in the deal, but he was by no means primarily responsible for it.

And where do you think Haslam came from? Hey ingrate, he was a minority owner of the Steelers first. Rooney got him to step up and buy the Browns when it had to be done. And there's more:

Just words, huh? Yeah, that's why it was Rooney who got Lerner and Policy in. Not Ralph Wilson. Not anybody else.

Well, again, I don't think Rooney was "responsible" for either of these action. Supportive, encouraging, yes, not responsible.

Jimmy had a taste for majority ownership after his stint as minority owner of the Steelers. He approached the league to express his interest in purchasing a team. Did Rooney encourage him to do so? Perhaps, I would not doubt that. But, if the Browns were not the one for sale, he would have been more than happy to buy any other team. It just so happened that the 10 year committment that Randy Lerner made to keep the team after his Dad died had expired and it was just coincidental that it was the Browns that came up for sale. (I have no doubt that if both the Browns and the team in Tennessee has been the ones for sale he would have far more have lusted after them...but they weren't up for sale).

And on Lerner and Policy.....I don't think Rooney had anything to do at all with them being in the mix. Al Lerner had been a minority owner of the Browns for years and years. While he kind of "helped" his "friend" Art Modell broker the deal with Baltimore, he still demanded that in the end that Art buy out his interest when Art wanted to move to Baltimore.

And....when the Browns franchise came back up for sale, there was a bidding process. Al was not going to let anyone outbid him for the Browns...but there WERE other groups that had placed bids.

There were at least two other serious groups that made bids: a group involving the Dolans (Indians owners) and Don Shula. And a group led by a guy named Howard Milstein....plus I believe another group involving Dick Jacob's son. (Jacobs Field).

And as for Policy...it was Eddie DeBartolo that got him into the NFL business, but when Eddie got in trouble, Policy wanted to stay in the game and thus hooked up with Lerner.

All these guys did all this on their own. Again, moral support/encouragement by Rooney? Probably. Actual control and decision making? No.

Archived