THE BROWNS BOARD

Why was there ever a QB competition?

DawgsRule90

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-05-12/johnny-manziel-browns-backup-starter-brian-hoyer-jimmy-haslam-josh-gordon-suspension

So before training camp, when buzz started to build that Hoyer and Manziel would compete for the starting position, i got really concerned. How did everyone forget that Haslam strongly stated that Manziel would be the backup? I was optimistic because i thought training camp wouldnt be wasted on stupid QB drama. When did this change? My guess is the national media essentially pressured the browns to do this to at least make some sort of storyline out of it when in reality, this isnt a storyline. The national media is furious that they dont get to see Johnny and honestly, no offense to Johnny, im glad that they have to suffer. I hope Hoyer can put something together this year and really screw all of them over.

I suspect that the concept of a competition was basically to keep Hoyer on his toes, and give the possibility that if Manziel plays lights out he gets the job. It was always "Hoyer unless he screws up AND JF takes it" - one out of two isn't going to cut it.

I think this whole equal competition thing is blown out of proportion....

Really.... EVERY player on EVERY team is in a constant competition....And it's a pro league, not little league(where everyone is treated as special and given equal time)...on the day JFF was drafted the competition started and he was being graded....and not doing anything to make himself look the part....

Now....neither one has done anything to stand out on a positive note, but given what they have to work with, Hoyer has looked and performed more like a professional and thats all the coaches have to go by.....

Thre is so much more to grade, than what we are able to see through the media and a few practices, Obviously, we dont see 90% of what happens behinds the scenes or in the class room....but the coaches do. And I think they just dont have trust or confidence in what JFF has shown to date.....

Manziel had every equal op to take the job.

He's more interested in parties and being a bigshot celebrity off the field.

And, it's a very big deal to adapt to the NFL from a different system so soon.

I kept drafting Bortles or Garapolo in my mock drafts, still wonder when/if Manziel

will turn the corner and become a pro, instead of just a rich, very, very smart

college qb who can step in and run with the job, and pro life.

I think this whole equal competition thing is blown out of proportion....

Really.... EVERY player on EVERY team is in a constant competition....And it's a pro league, not little league(where everyone is treated as special and given equal time)...on the day JFF was drafted the competition started and he was being graded....and not doing anything to make himself look the part....

Now....neither one has done anything to stand out on a positive note, but given what they have to work with, Hoyer has looked and performed more like a professional and thats all the coaches have to go by.....

Thre is so much more to grade, than what we are able to see through the media and a few practices, Obviously, we dont see 90% of what happens behinds the scenes or in the class room....but the coaches do. And I think they just dont have trust or confidence in what JFF has shown to date.....

Love the whole post bro, well stated. I especially love .And it's a pro league, not little league(where everyone is treated as special and given equal time) because I am just waiting for the first whiner fan boi to say "it wasn't fair"

I find it hard to believe that anybody was going to seriously consider putting maziel out there for our first 3 or so games seeing as who we're playing. So we should have just said from the beginning that Manziel is #2 on the depth chart deal with it. I agree there was likely some pressure from the NFL to make some kind of story because of how many shirts that kid was selling. This was not done right at all. And what the fuck was with bringing Thigpen in?

Lol...if they'd have done what you revisionists propose and tagged scrambles as the backup from draft day forward, you'd have said they were keeping the better QB down.

20/20 and all....wow....y'all are sooooo smart. Maybe if the Lil guy didn't waste his weekends partying....which was said won't affect his performance.... He'd know enough of the playbook to challenge.

But alas....your hero let you down. Deal with it and quit deflecting blame.

perhaps if johnny had been given time with the ones from the beginning he'd be more prepared....as it is, he needs more time....that said...hoyer is terrible....his performance on the field...(remember when that used to be the yardstick) was much worse than manziel's, particularly given he had all the time with the ones....if the browns really "wanted the best chance to win"...they would start grossman, who's done a hell of a lot more in the nfl than hometown hoyer, they'd continue to bring manziel and shaw along as quickly as possible...and they'd trade the homey boy.....

Yeah, great....let's hold the whole class back till the slow kid gets it....right???....

The rest of the first team cant get any quality reps if the quarterback doesnt even know the plays, how to call em, the correct cadence or where his receivers are supposed to be......and that describes Johnny right now....and he knows it too....

It would be a foolish move to stunt the growth of a whole team, trying to learn a new offense, for the sake of one unprepared rookie.....

perhaps if johnny had been given time with the ones from the beginning he'd be more prepared....as it is, he needs more time....that said...hoyer is terrible....his performance on the field...(remember when that used to be the yardstick) was much worse than manziel's, particularly given he had all the time with the ones....if the browns really "wanted the best chance to win"...they would start grossman, who's done a hell of a lot more in the nfl than hometown hoyer, they'd continue to bring manziel and shaw along as quickly as possible...and they'd trade the homey boy.....

Bullshit. Perhaps if Johnny had shown he was serious instead if playing jet set party boy he would have deserved more reps. You've seen him in a little per season game work and the coaches have seen him daily and are infinitely more qualified than us than us to decide who's best for the team. Lastly to insinuate they wouldn't start who they believe is the best chance to win is laughable. Winning is how they keep jobs.

Obviously, we dont see 90% of what happens behinds the scenes or in the class room...

I want to know where you see that 10%... ;)

It was a "competition" only to please the fans. There was never any serious attempt to give JM reps or better than that insane 2 possession chaos. The plan all along was to bring JM along slowly.

I really hope that was not the case... price was too great for what turned out to be a net negative.

Yeah, great....let's hold the whole class back till the slow kid gets it....right???....

The rest of the first team cant get any quality reps if the quarterback doesnt even know the plays, how to call em, the correct cadence or where his receivers are supposed to be......and that describes Johnny right now....and he knows it too....

It would be a foolish move to stunt the growth of a whole team, trying to learn a new offense, for the sake of one unprepared rookie.....

Another seriously well-done post...

Hey a president from Texas invented "No Child Left Behind". Give the kid a break. :D

LOL... but around ten years before that we had the "Robin Hood ruling"...

Bullshit. Perhaps if Johnny had shown he was serious instead if playing jet set party boy he would have deserved more reps. You've seen him in a little per season game work and the coaches have seen him daily and are infinitely more qualified than us than us to decide who's best for the team. Lastly to insinuate they wouldn't start who they believe is the best chance to win is laughable. Winning is how they keep jobs.

so criticizing what manziel does in his time off, some how justifies starting hoyer, who's played worse than manziel in preseason games......is that how the browns make decisions.....??? if hoyer starts the entire year the browns will have another losing season.....in truth, i wouldn't start manziel now either.....shanahan's got him too confused with his idiotic playbook..shanahan's claim to fame is being fired from his first nfl job after 3 disastrous years in dc.....hardly encouraging......cleveland has 2 new quarterbacks...both of which can developed to be better than hoyer.....he's had 6 years....he ain't a franchise quarterback....homey or not....get over it.....start grossman and bring in either manziel or shaw when they're ready......quit rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic....hoyer isn't the answer...never was.....

Archived