THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer named starting QB

LondonBrown

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he sure earned it....not....hoyer sucks.....now the browns get to lose their first three games......

so you reward the hometown sweetheart who played like shit.....oh yeah, that makes sense....

So you pick the guy that's done even less to earn it?

Both qbs sucked and were even. Manziel keeps pissing management off. If you cant figure that out, your an idiot. All things being equal, you start who you foresee giving you less problems.

Dont worry, he will start by week 4. The browns cant commit long term

Best news I have heard out of Browns camp in a while. Now give the starter ALL of the reps and hopefully we'll some much better play out of the entire offense on Saturday.

Its a decision that should've been made a month ago.

Can't be happy with how this was handled. Pettine admits one guy was the guy the whole time, and yet you put the team through the last few weeks? For what?

Should've done what Jax did, say right away "Manziel sits, #6 starts" and if Manziel plays great then start to secretly consider it, but if not, nobody "lost" it was the plan all along. Don't agree with how this was done.

Its a decision that should've been made a month ago.

Can't be happy with how this was handled. Pettine admits one guy was the guy the whole time, and yet you put the team through the last few weeks? For what?

Should've done what Jax did, say right away "Manziel sits, #6 starts" and if Manziel plays great then start to secretly consider it, but if not, nobody "lost" it was the plan all along. Don't agree with how this was done.

Sadly, Pettine has a boss as well. If you think Haslam hasn't severely influenced several decisions not only of the front office, but the coaching staff - then you're terribly mistaken.

Hopefully he doesn't play as embarrassing as he did in these preseason games. Haha not to say Manziel did any better. They both were garbage. But preseason is preseason.

He actually didn't play too terrible the first Pre-Season game - against Washington the whole Offense was dysfunctional.

I expected Hoyer to be the Starter from the get go, it's just the smart thing to do.

This Offense is just too complex and there's a lot too learn on top of coming from College to the NFL.

Sadly, Pettine has a boss as well. If you think Haslam hasn't severely influenced several decisions not only of the front office, but the coaching staff - then you're terribly mistaken.

100% correct. Hell, Johnny Finger is the boss's draft pick, and we all know it (well, some of us know it). Jimmy got caught up in the excitement of JF's free fall, and enforced his will. It's his team and he of course has the right to do whatever he wants, but let's not get it twisted who drafted the Finger.

I also think this is the right decision to make. However, I think it should have been made after the Spring camps or after the Akron scrimmage ( as soon as they were comfortable with Hoyer's knee ). Why start a "not ready" rookie QB in an away game against Pittsburgh!

Why didnt they name Hoyer the starter earlier???.....

Simply to create competition at camp...... The coaches have said all along that they want to create a competitive atmosphere at camp....they want the players to feel pressure to perform.....they dont want anyone sitting back thinking they got it in the bag(or dont, ftm)....Yes, they favored Hoyer, but I guarantee they would have loved for JFF to step up and take the job.... and they gave him several chances too.....It just didnt happen, that's all.

It's a competitive league. And if the pressure of competition orces you to screw up, then maybe you're not ready. GREAT players rise to the occasion, while lesser players fold under pressure.....

Unfortunately, our QB's didnt rise.......BUT, Im behind the coaches for forcing the competition and making the players work for it. I think it HAS helped with Skrine & Gilbert..... Roberts & Kirksey.....Gilkey & Greco......Tate & West.....etc, etc, etc....

Simply to create competition at camp...

It's a competitive league. And if the pressure of competition forces you to screw up, then maybe you're not ready. GREAT players rise to the occasion, while lesser players fold under pressure.....

Unfortunately, our QB's didnt rise.......BUT, Im behind the coaches for forcing the competition and making the players work for it. I think it HAS helped with Skrine & Gilbert..... Roberts & Kirksey.....Gilkey & Greco......Tate & West.....etc, etc, etc....

Reasonable perspective...

Perhaps the error was not in the competition, but in the daily QB updates by staff. How much were you made aware of the status of any other "competition" by any coach on any basis other than who started with what team in the games?

I know Manzeil has been disappointing, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hoyer. Hoyer has better composure but he is struggling to hit anything past 10 yards. He has had at least 3 passes that should have been picked and he hasn't even played a full games worth of snaps.

If we want to win now Manzeil starts the season opener.

Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

If the Browns win, or he plays well when the teams lose. Yea I expect JF to sit the whole year. Maybe last 3 games if we have no shot at playoff.

Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

I can actually believe this is John Football.

Players in the Nfl are faster than those at Duke and Vanderbilt

I'm excited to see Hoyer against the Rams Saturday knowing he's the guy. Distractions are behind him now and he can play likely the whole first half with our starters and not doing the stupid alternating series crap.

^+1. I'll be there. :)

Yup... was really the only decision to make.

While Hoyer did not make the throws against WSH, he remained poised in the pocket and with one exception made the reads. Add that we know he can make the throws and there's the decision.

While I am still concerned that the pressure of the competition may have gotten to him, hopefully a 3-game commitment (I doubt he gets more) is enough to get him on track.

Here's to a good week of practice and a solid, home preseason opener...

Thinking Hoyer was trying to be too perfect with all the pressure on him.

he sure earned it....not....hoyer sucks.....now the browns get to lose their first three games......

so you reward the hometown sweetheart who played like shit.....oh yeah, that makes sense....

Yeah, and Manziel could do soooo..... much better. Better listen to Boomer Fan Boy..... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24667689/boomer-esiason-if-manziel-starts-vs-steelers-hell-get-his-ass-kicked

I know Manzeil has been disappointing, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hoyer. Hoyer has better composure but he is struggling to hit anything past 10 yards. He has had at least 3 passes that should have been picked and he hasn't even played a full games worth of snaps.

If we want to win now Manzeil starts the season opener.

Manziel is still struggling big time with the playbook. As above Esiason thinks Manziel "will get killed" if he starts against the Steelers. He couldn't handle the Redskins vanilla blitzes. Care to take a guess what he'd look like against Le Beau's disguised ones? Le Beau is like 13-1 against rookie quarterbacks. Start JFF, and you can make that 14-1.

Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

Do you plan to post this in every thread?

Archived