THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer named starting QB

LondonBrown

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK by me. Cleveland has been the boneyard for starting rookie QBs. If they are going to shape the player to the offense instead of the other way around, then it's best to give JM a lot more time.

He's always been a full fast tempo 2 minutes in 60 kind of player and this huddle up every play kind of O just does not fit him coming into the league. If he never adjusts to it, then some up tempo team will get him for a song and a dance.

Hoyer deserves it based on his play in practice and last year before he was hurt.

OK by me. Cleveland has been the boneyard for starting rookie QBs. If they are going to shape the player to the offense instead of the other way around, then it's best to give JM a lot more time.

He's always been a full fast tempo 2 minutes in 60 kind of player and this huddle up every play kind of O just does not fit him coming into the league. If he never adjusts to it, then some up tempo team will get him for a song and a dance.

Hoyer deserves it based on his play in practice and last year before he was hurt.

+1

That's the smart move. And for the next couple preparation weeks they can concentrate on getting Brian Hoyer ready to quarterback the team. Another good point is that he will be playing a less aggressive offense since some of the plays are beyond his physical abilities.

If the offensive line, the running game and the defense hold up.....

We should know by the break.

WSS

Yup... was really the only decision to make.

While Hoyer did not make the throws against WSH, he remained poised in the pocket and with one exception made the reads. Add that we know he can make the throws and there's the decision.

While I am still concerned that the pressure of the competition may have gotten to him, hopefully a 3-game commitment (I doubt he gets more) is enough to get him on track.

Here's to a good week of practice and a solid, home preseason opener...

Now that the sideshow is over, and the ticket sales are up, and the marketing scheme that only benefitted the Browns front office has played out, I have one thing to say to the Browns front office. You damned well better put a product on the field we as fans can be proud of. Fans are getting real tired of the mediocrity ! The pyramids were built faster than this football team !

Glad they named a starter. This at least quiets some of the distraction surrounding this team, and now they can focus on scoring TDs instead of "who's going to start." I hope Hoyer works out. Problem is, if he struggles at all... at all... even in the first game... the media, and fans, are going to clamor for Manziel... this hasn't gone away...

By the way, this in no way slams the door on Manziel. He was dead-even in a competition with a 5-year vet, and was passed over based on experience, something he cannot control. The kid is only 21 years old. He needs to mature, learn the offense, and get his feet wet a little more. I still believe he will be good, but I just hope we don't have to see him until next season...

I just wish we had stability. It doesnt matter who they named starter. Being at best 1-2 after our first 3 games they will change qbs again. The one thing the browns never have....stability. Just commit and give us stability.

Best decision possible currently for this team. Hoyer's issues aren't his reads or pocket presence, he's sometimes had a bit too much zip on the ball or just a little off on accuracy.

Still... its the lesser of two evils. I'm just hoping the rest of the offense, especially the Oline will galvanize after their performance on Tuesday and that this offense can at worst be efficient.

Archived