THE BROWNS BOARD

Time to Choose...

Tour2ma

Really eye-opening to see the veteran Hoyer struggle like that. Manziel needs time and probably should have stayed in school another year.

The offensive line didn't seem to play well at all, which helped neither QB.

Recievers did not look good overall.

Defense looks good, but not great.

Best thing would probably be start Hoyer and see how it goes. Get Manziel in if its a blowout game (which I dont expect).

If it's not going well, perhaps make a QB change during the bye week IF you think Mamziel is progressing satisfactorily. Otherwise, sit him until needed. Because if the Oline doesnt start playing better, he and perhaps Grossman will be needed.

I expect Shaw to be on the scout team.

Zombo-I agree. And it is obvious now that Shanny is no Chip Kelly. He does not know how to run a full time no huddle offense and seems unwilling to learn. When did it work? When Shaw had to run it. Shanny needs to either go to school on that O or the Browns need to trade JM to a team that uses his no huddle skills. Maybe for a quality RT?!

With what we saw from Shaw, I say we let him start getting some first team reps this week. I would even add Grossman to the mix (dont want him to feel left out!). Fuck....we might as well get some 'Invincible' action going on and hold some try outs in the Cleveland area, whoever wins gets added to the mix.

Then we'll have 5 QBs competing. Each QB gets 30 mins with the 1s each day, and then the fans can vote one QB off the island each week.

On a serious note, I would just start Manziel. It just makes the most sense at this point. I don't like saying that. I don't like JM. I think he looks more like a Muskrat than a professional QB, but I digress. Hoyer had a PERFECT opportunity to solidify the starting job, and he's done absolutley nothing with it. If the competition is going to be this close, then you give the tiebreaker to the rookie you just spent a 1st round pick on.

If Manziel crashes and burns, our record should be bad enough to get a very high pick next year. Don't trade down, and just take the best QB left.

Pressure might have gotten to both of them tonight.

Certainly in Hoyer's case...

1. The R side of the O line is in big time trouble especially at T. Feet are just not there.

Been saying that since draft day 2012. Schwartz cannot handle a speed rush and focuses on it so hard that he becomes susceptible to the bull rush.

Have not broken down the tape yet, but Wallace (LT2) has shown the feet in the past.

Been saying that since draft day 2012. Schwartz cannot handle a speed rush and focuses on it so hard that he becomes susceptible to the bull rush.

Have not broken down the tape yet, but Wallace (LT2) has shown the feet in the past.

Tour-well at least the browns have 2 first rounders next year to fix that problem. I'd give Wallace a chance to move up because Schwartz is clearly not the answer. He got both QB's sacked in the first three possessions. Not good.

I don't see the issue with Schwartz - the sack given up on play 1 was clearly on Alex Mack jumping the snap count.

Start Hoyer and prepare JF as the backup - it's time to move past this nonsense.

I do have three words from last night's game everyone should be excited about....

GOAL LINE STAND!

4 observations:

1. The R side of the O line is in big time trouble especially at T. Feet are just not there.

2. I agree with those above who say Pettine screwed this up with the 2 possession rotation. He should have honestly given JM all 1st team reps the whole week and given him all the 1st team reps in the game just as he did for Hoyer the 1st game. This was unfair to all concerned and doomed to utter failure for both QBs.

3. The Browns D will have to carry the season until the O line is fixed. Watch the waiver wire very carefully for a RT. otherwise that is the first person to draft next year.

4. Goes without saying the WRs once again did not help the QBs. However that is only secondary to a better O line.

JF probably would have got the start if he wasn't an hour and 15 minutes late for that meeting he missed.

Certainly in Hoyer's case...

You did say some of this in an earlier post, and l've really focused on numero 72 the last couple preseason games trying to see what you see.

He doesn't look too bad when he's the aggressor, like when run blocking. Even then they seem to team him up with a TE to tag team a guy.

Traditional pocket passing protection he don't look so good though. Like he takes too many steps back, and then a couple more when the defender plows into him. And by then the defender is basically right on top of the QB.

I saw somewhere some conjecture that he might make a good guard. Maybe? He seems able to redirect defenders pretty well in some situations.

All this is crap. We should just start Johnny Manziel and let the kid learn on the job. Build ur offense around a mobile QB with good Accuracy and be done with it. So what if Hoyer didn't get his shot. Every good team has to have a serviceable backup QB that pushes the Qb and is good enough to come in, if needed, and win the game... especially with a QB like Manziel, who is fearless and puts his body on the line(much like an RG3). We need both Hoyer and Shaw. Hoyer is coming off a major sports injury. There is no rush to bring him back so soon. Yeah, I get it, he doesn't want to lose his job to Manziel. But, let's face it, the writing was on the wall for Hoyer when they drafted a QB in the first round(Much like Colt McCoy's situation with Weeden). I know Hoyer is a great hometown guy and he's got some game but that is going to be best served if Hoyer is a backup and can help Manziel grow into this position. Hoyer, much like anybody that has to train their successor, might be holding back on the mentoring in fear of giving Manziel an edge. This is just speculation on my part but it's common sense and a natural human reaction.

The sooner that Manziel steps into that starting position and this offense is allowed to go through it's growing pains... the better it is going to be for the Cleveland Browns and all of us.

By waiting you are just delaying the inevitable and stunting the offense from becoming what it must.

Manziel needs a special playbook and an offense and a coordinator that is able to tailor the game to match Manziel's strengths... otherwise we wasted a pick.

Put Johnny football out there and see if he get's better throughout the season, it's now or never really. This is the same this as Anderson/Quinn. With Derek playing well that year Quinn rode the bench, pumped himself up and fucked up his accuracy. Let the kid play and let's see what we've got... or at worst, what we don't got. And if by the end of the year we are shitty and have a top pick in the draft(we'll actually have 2 of them) then we'll know what we need. And based on Gordon's outlook(although I feel we dodge a bullet this time) we could be drafting a QB/WR combo in the first round.

Let's do this. Man, everybody sucks in preseason, unless you're Connor Shaw or Brandon Weeden. When it counts, that's when it counts.

All this is crap. We should just start Johnny Manziel and let the kid learn on the job. Build ur offense around a mobile QB with good Accuracy and be done with it. So what if Hoyer didn't get his shot. Every good team has to have a serviceable backup QB that pushes the Qb and is good enough to come in, if needed, and win the game... especially with a QB like Manziel, who is fearless and puts his body on the line(much like an RG3). We need both Hoyer and Shaw. Hoyer is coming off a major sports injury. There is no rush to bring him back so soon. Yeah, I get it, he doesn't want to lose his job to Manziel. But, let's face it, the writing was on the wall for Hoyer when they drafted a QB in the first round(Much like Colt McCoy's situation with Weeden). I know Hoyer is a great hometown guy and he's got some game but that is going to be best served if Hoyer is a backup and can help Manziel grow into this position. Hoyer, much like anybody that has to train their successor, might be holding back on the mentoring in fear of giving Manziel an edge. This is just speculation on my part but it's common sense and a natural human reaction.

The sooner that Manziel steps into that starting position and this offense is allowed to go through it's growing pains... the better it is going to be for the Cleveland Browns and all of us.

By waiting you are just delaying the inevitable and stunting the offense from becoming what it must.

Manziel needs a special playbook and an offense and a coordinator that is able to tailor the game to match Manziel's strengths... otherwise we wasted a pick.

Put Johnny football out there and see if he get's better throughout the season, it's now or never really. This is the same this as Anderson/Quinn. With Derek playing well that year Quinn rode the bench, pumped himself up and fucked up his accuracy. Let the kid play and let's see what we've got... or at worst, what we don't got. And if by the end of the year we are shitty and have a top pick in the draft(we'll actually have 2 of them) then we'll know what we need. And based on Gordon's outlook(although I feel we dodge a bullet this time) we could be drafting a QB/WR combo in the first round.

Let's do this. Man, everybody sucks in preseason, unless you're Connor Shaw or Brandon Weeden. When it counts, that's when it counts.

Pettine answered you with a simple: NO.

I don't see the issue with Schwartz - the sack given up on play 1 was clearly on Alex Mack jumping the snap count.

Agree in that specific instance, but...

JF probably would have got the start if he wasn't an hour and 15 minutes late for that meeting he missed.

Ummmm... no...

Maybe the owner is telling him what to do.........what does that spell for the organization?

Not feeling that... Jimmah has been critical of JM in public statements.

On the other hand I have had the feeling that our OC has been infatuated with JM all along. Back when Pettine described BH as being substantially ahead, Shannie was talking as if it was a coin flip.

He doesn't look too bad when he's the aggressor, like when run blocking. Even then they seem to team him up with a TE to tag team a guy.

Traditional pocket passing protection he don't look so good though. Like he takes too many steps back, and then a couple more when the defender plows into him. And by then the defender is basically right on top of the QB.

I saw somewhere some conjecture that he might make a good guard. Maybe? He seems able to redirect defenders pretty well in some situations.

As long as the DE is not too fast Scwartz's run blocking looks fine, but he has wiffed faster DEs. Chipping with a TE or back is always possible; it's just not desirable.

If he sets with space to spare, then he does deliver a good "punch" in pass protection. Problem occurs when there's no space. That's a concern inside as well as outside.

He can handle a bullrush when he expects it, so inside does seem like a better choice. However, soon, IMO, Ds will just slant the DT outside, across his face, and loop DEs (or OLBs) inside... and the issue resurfaces.

...especially with a QB like Manziel, who is fearless and puts his body on the line(much like an RG3).

Manziel needs a special playbook...

Comparison to RG3 should make you wince... I know it made me.

"Special playbook" is just begging for a smart-ass comment deluxe... yet I'll pass this time.

Pettine brought his own dilemma on himself. I think it's pretty simple logic to a coach at any level and even us fans that alternating series between two distinctly different style QB's in practice is only going to serve to keep your own offense guessing.

Maybe the owner is telling him what to do.........what does that spell for the organization?

He delayed the announcement for one day. BFD.

Hey there is going to be a special playbook for each player they have different skill sets.

that actually worries me making me think it might not be a bad idea to trade Brian Hoyer (who I am rooting for) start Johnny and have Connor Shaw, a similar type quarterback, as a backup.

at least the starter goes down you don't have to change your offense.

WSS

ohhh PoG we love you BUT.......

He's such a nice upbeat guy....always has a positive attitude and gives players the benefit of the doubt.

But good god, even probability dictates he should have been right at least once. I hope and pray its this time.

Archived