THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft prospect grading systems

The Gipper

I believe there are a few what you would call "Draft prospect grading systems" out there. Here is one by the National Football Post:

Numerical Grade Summary Description Verbose Description PowerHouse Grade

9.0 Rare; Elite Immediate starter; rare prospect w/ rare physical attributes; instantly one of best in NFL R1+/R1 8.5-8.9 Immediate starter; physical attributes to create mismatches; will become one of best in NFL

8.0-8.4 Immediate starter; physical mismatch vs. most opponents; will be a featured player on his team

7.5-7.9 Exceptional; Impact Becomes a starter as a rookie; physical mismatch vs. most opponents; will be a featured player on his team R1-/R2+

7.0-7.4 Outstanding; Starter Becomes a starter as a rookie; solid NFL player with no major weaknesses to exploit R2/R2-

6.9 Excellent; Potential Start Contributes as a rookie, starts second year R3

6.8 Contributes as a rookie; starts eventually

6.7 Contributes as a rookie; impactful sub/situational player

6.6 Physical tools to start, but has a limitation to overcome; boom or bust

6.5 Tools to start, but deficient in a way that he should overcome

6.4 Very Good; Solid Backup Tools to start, but deficient in a way that will be difficult to overcome R4 , R5 6.3 Tools deficient in a way that cannot be overcome, but may become a starter anyway

6.2 Lacks physical tools to start, but should make an impact as a sub/situational contributor

6.1 Tools to start, but will require significant development at pro level

6.0 Tools to start, but has not played to potential; boom or bust

5.9 Good; Chance Make Tools to contribute as a backup; should be able to overcome deficiencies
R6, R7, PFA

5.8 Tools to contribute as a backup; will struggle to overcome deficiencies

5.7 Tools to contribute as a backup; cannot overcome deficiencies

5.6 Free agent with speed, character, and competitiveness

5.5 Free agent with athletic ability, character, and competitiveness

5.4 Above Average / Developmental Free agent with size, character, and competitiveness PFA

5.3 Free agent at a high level of competition with size, speed, or athletic ability

5.2 Free agent with size or speed

5.1 Free agent with character and competitiveness 5.0 Camp body

4.0-4.9 Average / Below Average Lacks the qualities/attributes required for pro football FA

Here is another that has been used by Ourlads Guide:

PowerHouse Grade

9.99-9.00 1 First-year starter (except QBs); talent to contribute early; impact player R1+/R1, R1-/R2+

8.99-8.00 2 Eventual starter; probable first-year starter; minimal development time R1-/R2+, R2/R2-

7.99-7.00 3 Good backup; upgrades marginal starter; eventual starter with development time R3

6.99-6.00 4 Solid backup; ascending skills & production; good upside based on measurables; needs development time R4

5.99-5.00 5 Upgrades marginal backup; moderate deficiency in skill; developmental size/speed prospect; consistent producer R5

4.99-4.00 6 Upgrades roster depth; deficient measurables or size/speed prospect with inconsistent skills/production R6

3.99-3.50 7 Upgrades size/speed at position of need; borderline pro skills; has a chance to develop R7

3.49-3.00 PFA Developmental prospect with draftable qualities PFA

2.99-2.50 FA Free agent with height, weight, speed, or another special asset FA

2.49-2.00 Camp Emergency player for camp NR

Does anyone know if these systems have been applied to this year's draft prospects.....or is it way to early for that?

Here are Ourlads prospect rankings:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-draft/

note they do not have Trubisky as the #1 QB.....and nowhere near the top player.......same with CBS....PFF.....etc.....

Just wanted to point that out, before you decide how good all these rating systems really are.....

(might want to find one that agrees with you.....;) )

note they do not have Trubisky as the #1 QB.....and nowhere near the top player.......same with CBS....PFF.....etc.....

Just wanted to point that out, before you decide how good all these rating systems really are.....

(might want to find one that agrees with you..... ;) )

I don't see where they did any overall ranking system of all players. Where did you see that?

And I have never said anything about taking the highest ranked player that some service such as this or CBS or PFF etc.

I said the Browns need to do what is in the best interest of the Cleveland Browns.

These services that I have seen ranked players have it about half with Trubisky on top and half with Watson on top. Watson has always been the "touted" QB. He was supposed to win the Heisman, remember?

But, I want a pro style QB running the Browns. I don't want an RGIV.

If Watson were to be taken by the Browns, yes, I would want him to become the new Cam Newton rather than RGIV.

But, in the back of my mind, my instincts say we need to go the other way.

Or should we post the Walter Football mock? Mitch get downgraded because of "lack of experience", only flaw I'm aware of. Hooker plays one season @ OSU, but that's OK.

Or should we post the Walter Football mock? Mitch get downgraded because of "lack of experience", only flaw I'm aware of. Hooker plays one season @ OSU, but that's OK.

I mean, I guess I understand that. Playing DB is far more read/react/athletic ability first. See the receiver, cover the reciever. Playing QB is far more cerebral and complex and it takes much more time for a QB to develop

most of the criteria is apparently based on physical ability, and play in college.

the trouble starts when you draft that highly rated player, and he doesn't have

the work ethic, desire to win, gets into legal trouble etc. That is how I'd grade them,

if they don't pass my criteria, I don't care about the "physical ability/combine/college"

grade that much.

Good to know the hard part is done... "the grading system".

All that's left is to evaluate a few hundred players.

I suspect that these grading systems are much more like taking an essay exam than taking a multiple choice or fill in the blank test. So much more room for subjectivity.

All that's left is that Sashi Brown hire a couple dozen key punch operators and feed the cards then into the mainframe computer at Brown's HQ.

Holy flashback... took me back to my freshman, CompuSci-requirement days at Case.

Nothing like hunting and pecking at a key punch only to fuck up a long entry 2 characters from the end...

Archived