THE BROWNS BOARD

Bama v Clemson

LondonBrown

Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

Arizona just signed our Boulware.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game... Here are a few of my takeaways:

General:

• Davo's game plan as reported by Herbie was executed to perfection. The goal was to run 80 plays; they ran 90+. By game's end BAMA's D was worn down to a nub.
  • All the Clemson scheming would have been undone in by one or two more accurate deep throws by BAMA's true frosh QB. A couple deep completions would have sealed the deal. The kid looked poised, but in the end the stage was simply too big for him at this point in his career.

BAMA:

• One of the keys to Clemson's above "war of attrition" was targeting Allen... they wore his ass out with double teams and were willing to sacrifice pressure by other players to do it. By the end, or near to it, Allen was reduced picking sides rather than engage and control blockers. No where was it more obvious than Clemson's gap-closing TD run in the 4th. Yet throughout he played hard and at least early was effective in getting in on plays and/or freeing teammates to make them. He did nothing to diminish his draft value in my eyes.
  • Foster answered any questions I had of his suitability to play MLB in the 4-3. Many BAMA alignments put him in that position. His play, his speed, his passing lane awareness all combined to allay any concerns I had. Plus there was the sideline shot of him after Clemson's 3rd TD, IIRC. He was mad and flashed "Singletary" eyes... I smiled.
  • Did not see dominance by the "best OL in the draft", Cam Robinson, that I was expecting. I look forward to scouting his tape.

Clemson:

• There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *Spoiler Alert* I did not. I saw throws to first options when available, but when not an almost immediate dropping of eyes to the rush, whether real or not, and a shift into scramble mode which occasionally ended in finding an open receiver. Bottom line: a processing question remains.
  • Love Boulware's fire, but don't see the speed to make him effective at the next level. I see another Chris Borland-like candidate for early retirement, very early retirement when his style writes checks his body, and head, cant cash.
  • Mike Williams is a great WR prospect. He's Mike Evan's with even more grace.
  • Most of my Clemson, prospect-scouting interest is in their DL.

Clemson:

• There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *

I answered. Watched the whole game last night. My answer still stands, about half dozen. Those include formations to help make his reads easier. I saw him constantly check the safety to Williams' side, but not know much of what to do with it afterward. By check, I mean, if the safety wasn't rolling immediately over the top, he wouldn't even think twice about seeing if he dropped underneath.

I answered. Watched the whole game last night. My answer still stands, about half dozen. Those include formations to help make his reads easier. I saw him constantly check the safety to Williams' side, but not know much of what to do with it afterward. By check, I mean, if the safety wasn't rolling immediately over the top, he wouldn't even think twice about seeing if he dropped underneath.

I saw your earlier one.... thanks.

I think the Agreement scorecard now stands at Agree: 3 Disagree: 1... but whose counting.

The pro talent isn't limited to 'Bama or Clemson ya know. There's a few guys us Ohio State homers have out eyes on. Now about that kid from North Carolina.... if we can't have him, at least give me Shazier as a consolation prize. :D

Oh, was OSU in the championship game? ;)

Oh, was OSU in the championship game? ;)

Ohio State could have like 5-6 players taken in the first two rounds......in what is considered a "down" year for them.

(Hooker, Lattimore, Elflein, Conley, McMillan, Samuel)

Alabama will have 6-7.

Clemson probably 5-6.

Florida probably 4

FSU 3

LSU between 4-7

Miami 2

Michigan 4-5

Pitt 2

USC 2

Stanford 2

Tennessee 2

Utah 2

Washington 4-5

Western Michigan 2

Wisconsin 2

For A&M Garrett is the only prospect that ranks in the top 80

Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

but need to make sure he has no Brian Bosworth in his background.

Ohio State could have like 5-6 players taken in the first two rounds......in what is considered a "down" year for them.

Alabama will have 6-7.

Clemson probably 5-6. <--- thank you Clemson to shut up the ALA-SEC clan for awhile

Florida probably 4

FSU 3

LSU between 4-7

Miami 2

Michigan 4-5 <--- if I were an m fan I'd be concerned about that, plus others drafted or just gone

Pitt 2

USC 2

Stanford 2

Tennessee 2

Utah 2

Washington 4-5

Western Michigan 2

Wisconsin 2 <--- not exactly a banner year for B1G high draftees

Alabama will have 6-7.

Clemson probably 5-6.

Florida probably 4

FSU 3

LSU between 4-7

Miami 2

Michigan 4-5

Pitt 2

USC 2

Stanford 2

Tennessee 2

Utah 2

Washington 4-5

Western Michigan 2

Wisconsin 2

Walter football:

49 Washington Redskins: Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M

Drafttek:

78 uparrow_hp.gif+70 Avery Gennesy Texas A&M OT 6'5" 305

Walter football:

49 Washington Redskins: Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M

Drafttek:

78 uparrow_hp.gif+70 Avery Gennesy Texas A&M OT 6'5" 305

I looked only at CBS who had neither of those guys rated in the top 80

(so, you see....these rankings can be highly variable)

I think there is a better than even chance Evans goes late 2nd/early 3rd. He's a hitter and most teams want safeties unafraid to hit. He can also double in KO returns in a pinch. One I would like to see us give a UFA tryout to is WR Josh Reynolds, 6-4 with better hands than I have seen from any of our rookies so far.

61 1039 17.0 92 longest 12 TD

I think there is a better than even chance Evans goes late 2nd/early 3rd. He's a hitter and most teams want safeties unafraid to hit. He can also double in KO returns in a pinch. One I would like to see us give a UFA tryout to is WR Josh Reynolds, 6-4 with better hands than I have seen from any of our rookies so far.

61 1039 17.0 92 longest 12 TD

Fair enough. Maybe he is the one TAMU guy the Browns get. ;)

Archived