THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Williams Hired

darren15

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is they lured Williams with the prospect of having the #1 pick go to defense

been hearing this from a lot of people in here. that's all and good if the pick isn't a bust. then it'll be biz as usual around here.

don't get me wrong. i think the hire is a move in the right direction BUT if everyone thinks that one hire is going to fix what we saw this past season they're nuts.

Seems like we drafted for the 4-3 last year. Ahead of the curve, finally?

Z

Alot of our OLB in the 3-4 were natural 4-3 DE in college. Plus Meder is more of a typical 4-3 DT.

Pardone' me for a moment... why is it Garrett if it's a 4-3 base? Allen can do both.

I'm not sold on Garrett's intensity. Allen outshines him in that regard bigtime. Allen is

a wrecking crew by himself - Garrett reminds me of Courtney Brown or Mingo.

just my dumb opinion. But If I was picking, Allen is the guy I'm drafting. He plays violently,

aggressively like Danny Shelton does - same kind of attitude. Not seeing that at all with

Garrett. Allen's speed/quickness is amazing for his size.

I honestly couldn't be mad with either guy. They are saying Garrett, if in a draft with Bosa and Clowney, would be picked ahead of both players. That is the type of ability and ceiling GMs are seeing. But Allen is also a freak player, and also #1 player in the draft for PFF, a site based around analytics.

Connecting some dots here, I think Browns will go with Allen.

- Jim Donovan reported on CBD that Sashi Brown and Co. scouted at Alabama game and they were blown away by Allen.

- Rams with Williams drafted a DT in Aaron Donald in 2014, the same year and shortly after they hired Williams.

- Browns have Nassib and Ogbah who can play as 4-3 DE, making Garrett less necessary.

- Good possibility the Browns will get extended time with Allen coaching the south in senior bowl. Meaning they will get to know him better than Garrett.

My guess is they lured Williams with the prospect of having the #1 pick go to defense and Williams will lure Waufle with the prospect of getting to coach Allen.

I guess you can promise him that you plan to go defense, but I don't think you lure anyone to coach for you by saying we are going to pick player X at this point in the offseason, unless that player X is a Andrew Luck caliber QB. Also outside of Ogbah, who knows if any of our other pass rushers are good. Yes 4-3 DE was the natural position in college for Nassib and Orchard, but who knows if they will even be able to play starting roles.

been hearing this from a lot of people in here. that's all and good if the pick isn't a bust. then it'll be biz as usual around here.

don't get me wrong. i think the hire is a move in the right direction BUT if everyone thinks that one hire is going to fix what we saw this past season they're nuts.

Exactly. Bitch about Horton all you guys want, but he had nothing to work with as a defensive coordinator.

As usual, I waited to post until I saw this hiring on the Browns' site.

Tough, aggressive, and proven track record with a 4-3. I love it. I think this will be an exciting off season & this certainly is a fine start.

Mike

Williams works for me...

I don't necessarily see the increased preference for Allen over Garrett in the 4-3 look others do, however. Allen just has the look of a traditional 3-4 DE to me while Garrett with his hand primarily in the dirt as a 4-3 edge guy removes my concerns there. This is the role OAK emphasized for Khalil this season. In his three seasons he's gone from primarily a stand-up OLB to a DE/OLB split to primarily a DE.

For those when a better attuned eye for DL schemes than I have.... I assume Shelton primarily takes an A gap putting Allen over the opposite OG? If so, then I can see Allen as a modern-day Michael Dean Perry aside Danny's James Jones or Bill Johnson.

I will say that Allen's persona would seem to be better aligned with Williams' than Myles the Mild's would be...

Also occurs to me that practicing against Williams' "style" could inject added "nasty" into our OL...

Tony Grossi tweeted. . .

Told Gregg Williams will be bringing assts. Brandon Fisher, Dennard Wilson & Blake Williams to #Browns. Possibly more.

Fischer - Secondary

Wilson - Secondary

Blake Williams - not currently listed with Rams staff, but appears to be Gregg's son, and...

HAMMOND, La. – Former St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Blake Williams has accepted the same position for two-time Southland Conference champion Southeastern Louisiana, Lion head coach Ron Roberts announced on Tuesday.

Williams' hire is pending the approval of the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors. Williams replaces Karl Scott, now the safeties coach at Louisiana Tech.

"Blake is going to be a tremendous addition to our staff," Roberts commented. "He brings with him a wealth of experience as a coach at the professional level, as well as playing experience from his time at Princeton. Blake shares the same philosophy that we do, so we expect to be very similar on defense in 2015. But, Blake is going to bring a fresh perspective that is going to be a plus for our program."

Williams was brought in as the linebacker coach with the 2012 Rams, before taking over as defensive coordinator for his father, Gregg. Under Williams' tutelage, St. Louis ranked No. 15 in the NFL against both the run and the pass, while also ranking in the top half of the league with 21.8 points per game allowed.

http://www.lionsports.net/news/2015/2/24/FB_0224155208.aspx

lol... another Ivy-leaguer joining the fold...

So he seems to have been "in" while Dad served his indefinite suspension. Maybe the Rams had nepotism issues/rules. However...

PFR seems at odds with the article listing no DC for the 2012 season and Tim Walton as the 2013 before Gregg arrived in 2014.

Omg dude stop. It would be his 1st year c'mon. Theres gonna be "alot" of guys leaving cause they dontbfit the 4-3

there should be a lot of guys leaving anyway. They can't play

We may not have a whole lot of players that he likes or can work with. I mean these guys dont like to wrap up we've been screaming about this for awile now. The def production may not be substantially better next year, he may offload "alot" of guys after next season.

Can u guys handle that ir is it gonna be fire thst williams hack by game 3 or 4?

Williams works for me...

I don't necessarily see the increased preference for Allen over Garrett in the 4-3 look others do, however. Allen just has the look of a traditional 3-4 DE to me while Garrett with his hand primarily in the dirt as a 4-3 edge guy removes my concerns there. This is the role OAK emphasized for Khalil this season. In his three seasons he's gone from primarily a stand-up OLB to a DE/OLB split to primarily a DE.

For those when a better attuned eye for DL schemes than I have.... I assume Shelton primarily takes an A gap putting Allen over the opposite OG? If so, then I can see Allen as a modern-day Michael Dean Perry aside Danny's James Jones or Bill Johnson.

I will say that Allen's persona would seem to be better aligned with Williams' than Myles the Mild's would be...

Also occurs to me that practicing against Williams' "style" could inject added "nasty" into our OL...

Why would you not want allen on the tackles outside shoulder? We have a really good interior rotation webdont need allen at DT. Now in some nascar packages sure, we would have og and nas outside and bryant/allen inside. Love that.

Williams works for me...

Depends on what you're trying to exploit. If you see the center has issues anchoring or with protection calls, you can run a double A gap look. You can go with Danny at the traditional 1 still holding the double team and that would leave Allen at the 3-5 spot doing what he does best.

We may not have a whole lot of players that he likes or can work with. I mean these guys dont like to wrap up we've been screaming about this for awile now. The def production may not be substantially better next year, he may offload "alot" of guys after next season.

Can u guys handle that ir is it gonna be fire thst williams hack by game 3 or 4?

From all the quotes I keep reading about Williams. He seems to scheme toward his players strengths. He's not a guy who says "run it my way".

The only problem with that is, you are correct, we don't have much talent for Williams to start with.

Which players are you talking about?

There are more guys on that defense that should go away then we should keep

Which players are you talking about?

Basically the entire seconday. If he watches tape of collins getting washed over on to his ass by a one hand slap from a 2nd string ol....he might tell them not to give collins that contract he's looking for. The lb'ers might stay for now but they'll be on a leash....im not sure they're mean enough for him. He prob would have loved scooby. Front 4 prob stays for now but og and nas will have to get alot stronger and meaner in the offseason

You are a fucking idiot. Horton gave Hue the defense Hue asked for. Assistants are coffee fetchers. he defense is on Hue.

NO DIFFERENCE IN 2017.

GHOOLIE GUARANTEE

You "may" be right but not because of the DC....because we currently dont have the players are goid/mean enough to matter. Anybody think bountygate williams is gonna relate to some of these fgts that dont like to get their jerseys dirty?

You are a fucking idiot. Horton gave Hue the defense Hue asked for. Assistants are coffee fetchers. he defense is on Hue.

NO DIFFERENCE IN 2017.

GHOOLIE GUARANTEE

Your absolutely right Horton was completely on Hue. This DC is a pure FO decision. Williams has more HC experience than Hue. And if the team should falter he will replace hue at the bye... That's why we only looked at DC's with HC experience... Williams is not Hue's "Type" of coach anyway.

Anybody watching the steelers game, that dolphins D is precisely the kind of 4-3 i dont want. Its predicated on going after the qb cause its a "passing league". So they've got these DE's that look real nice in cutoffs but they dont deal well at the point. They got a decent mlb'er in alonso but he aint a hitter. 4-3's like what carolina was the other year or the bengals....its about the players.

Just running a 4-3 doesnt mean shit if the niggas aint nasty. Gotta have a D front that is disciplined against the run. And we have to have at least one LB'er that tries to kill the ball carrier on every play. Dudes going across the middle always have one eye on where burfict is. Thats what i want in clev.

Your absolutely right Horton was completely on Hue. This DC is a pure FO decision. Williams has more HC experience than Hue. And if the team should falter he will replace hue at the bye... That's why we only looked at DC's with HC expe.. Williams is not Hue's "Type" of coach anyway.

It certainly sounds as if hue wanted horton gone. Its been in the back of my mind that the nas and og drafts were maybe more hues idea cause he was trying to push horton to run more 4-3 looks. Now we get a full time 4-3 guy that will stock 4-3 edge guys and lb'ets.

I think the Browns are a lock to get Allen at one. It makes no sense to me that they would pick someone else.

He's a one man wrecking crew, and with a four three, they have to fix their rotation and starting unit.

The 12 pick is the tough one. But if Foster was there, I'd have to pick him.

But then I also want Hooker at fs. But then I wonder about moving Joe Haden to fs, more likely nickle back...?

and drafting the best cb available at 33.

This draft is really going to be GRRRRRRREAT !

Ghoolie... fetchin' coffee since 1999.

Asst's are teachers first and foremost with motivation part of the teaching. Coord's teach as well, but they are primarily schemers. HC's? Masterminds, administrators... can do some of the scheming and teaching But the danger is the more they dive into the minutia, the more they will tend to lose focus on the big picture.

It certainly sounds as if hue wanted horton gone. Its been in the back of my mind that the nas and og drafts were maybe more hues idea cause he was trying to push horton to run more 4-3 looks.

... and aggression... which kills your "nas and og" theory.

Not sure, but I think my answer is... Yes?

I think the Browns are a lock to get Allen at one. It makes no sense to me that they would pick someone else.

He's a one man wrecking crew, and with a four three, they have to fix their rotation and starting unit.

The 12 pick is the tough one. But if Foster was there, I'd have to pick him.

But then I also want Hooker at fs. But then I wonder about moving Joe Haden to fs, more likely nickle back...?

and drafting the best cb available at 33.

This draft is really going to be GRRRRRRREAT !

Joe Haden is to small to play safety. I wouldn't want him playing nickel either. He already gets burned on every crossing pattern. That's who the nickel corner covers most times

Archived