THE BROWNS BOARD

Pep Hamilton Leaves

DKAllDay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Good point. Not to mention the supposed shouting match between Hue and Ray that Tour mentioned. Interesting.

Have to say I can't find where I read that... and neither can google. I think it was in the Browns reddit sub... still looking.

Doesn't surprise me that Pep would seek to move on. He's in a very odd position under a play-calling HC.

Nothing is outside of Haslam's control if he wants to control it, but I do think this is Hue...

Perhaps the move(s) is induced by one of the frank, end-of-season retreats the top brass has held since Jimmah bought us. Easily can see a dose of "not putting up with is another year" combined with "what do you need staff-wise" and "here's who looks to be available".

But in the end I think it's Hue.

I thought Jimmy said no changes were to be made?

Just like he said the rebates were to be given?

He was clearly talking about the top positions. Assistant coaches are determined by the head coach. Haslam doesn't make those decisions, just as he doesn't decide if one of the groundkeeprs need to be replaced.

Note on #Browns AHC-offense Pep Hamilton: #Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh has been telling recruits for a few days that he’s joining the staff.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 8, 2017

I would not have guessed Pep would be that big of a selling point... is it simply that he has NFL experience?

I would not have guessed Pep would be that big of a selling point... is it simply that he has NFL experience?

Well, it is just a rumor now. These are the same guys that said Harbaugh would never leave the NFL for Michigan, so take that with a grain of salt.

But yes, one of the biggest pulls Michigan has on recruits is preparation for the NFL. Our staff is full of NFL playing and coaching experience, plus we run a pro style offense. We can sell that staff's ability to get players NFL ready. Especially at positions like QB, where a more college spread style offense won't do that. Pep would be our "Passing Game Coordinator". So not quite an OC, but he'll work with WRs, QBs, TEs, etc.

It also just let's recruits know who their coach will be, and not necessarily a selling point.

He was OC with Harbaugh at Stanford I believe. I cant fault the guy for wanting to just go back to coach college, especially when he can work with a guy he had worked for before.

Sounded right... I checked and Pep joined the Harbaugh's Stanford staff in 2010 as WR coach. Jim then left for SF in 2011 and Pep rose to OC/QB Coach under Harbaugh's replacement David Shaw who had held the dual position under Jim H.

So I guess the question is who is brought in to replace him? He was QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator. Seems like the target would be a current QB Coach with another team, but I guess there are some recently fired OC who might take the job to get back on their feet.

Or....an offensive minded ex HC. ..to serve, despite what you may call it, as OC.

Hey! Chip Kelly? (Ok, no)

Mike McCoy, recently of the Chargers?

Whisenhunt?

Hard to see a current, or even recent, OC taking a responsibility downgrade. And definitely not seeing an Offensive-minded HC taking a double downgrade.

Excepting job desperation, of course...

welp looks like i was correct one both ray and pep

Half credit for Pep... tops... don't push it... ;)

Archived