THE BROWNS BOARD

Steeler Week

Gafreleets

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mediocre offenses score only around 2 TD's on them this year. Ours has been less than mediocre. And we still can't stay with 1 QB who doesn't have to keep looking over his shoulder. Does not portend well to be such a defensive struggle IMO.

Home game in name only. Unless Steeler fans are bailing. Stadium was overrun with Cowboy fans last "home" game, it might be worse Sunday. :(

50,000 paying Steeler fans... sitting in our stadium... watching us upset them...

Sounds to me like icing on the cake...

Would be nice to win... but , I'm just not seeing it...

Than we got them right where we want them ;) Came back after 3 year hiatus to open on SNF with Pitts in 99 to a 43-0 home loss, but in same year traveled to 3 rivers in November to a 16-15 win. In 09 December with -10 degrees off the lake we win 13-6. But it's our even year at home,Oct./November. 2012 Nov. we get 8 turnovers on C.Batch with win 20-14.(Hello "step on my ankle"Laundry Jones) 2014 Oct. We put Mike Tomlin on his 1st Hot seat Breaking Ben's big a$$ 31-10..If our young guns get a visit from Uncle Moe this week. Old Eyeballs Tomlin can thank Old Big bitchin Ben on the way out the Door..our 1st win & Steelers Sucking this season, could lead to a Squeelers coaching change..Sign Me Up.. It's a Nov. It's a even year..Even several Squeeler say... Go Browns!!

Am I missing something? I just see a guy leaning over. Is this a video? Is he doing something? It's kinda blurry.

Its a video. Click on Twitter. The dude smashes his TV.

But browns fans being civil as they are are understandably shocked by this behavior.

There's gotta be a dozen videos of fans smashing their TV's.

My favorite this Seattle fan.

To be fair, if you're a winless team, you could have a lot worse than a 4-5 team on a run of four straight losses, and whose only real pass rush comes from a guy who was drafted before the invention of the forward pass. Maybe Kessler will have the time in the pocket and confidence to let it rip downfield a bit more - I think that's all that's missing, a bit of aggression. That will come with confidence, which is an annoying feedback loop when you're not on the inside.

I can only go with hope. This QB coming in is tied for the most wins in the new stadium since 99 by any QB.

God that's depressing. And a trivia question. "Which QB has won the most games in first energy/whatever stadium?" Not Hoyer, or weeden, or couch, or anderson, but Ben fucking Roethlisberger. We need to stop that from happening.

God that's depressing. And a trivia question. "Which QB has won the most games in first energy/whatever stadium?" Not Hoyer, or weeden, or couch, or anderson, but Ben fucking Roethlisberger. We need to stop that from happening.

Actually, it is Derek Anderson......at 10. BR could tie him though this week.

Well a Thursday look ahead at Sunday's 1 pm game in Cleveland from vegasinsider.com:

CLE-QB-Robert Griffin III-OUT | TV: CBS, DTV: 705 | MOSTLY CLOUDY, 30% CHANCE SNOWSHOWERS. NORTHWEST WIND 15-25, GUSTY. GAME TEMP 36, RH 67% WIND CHILL 25 <--- Oooh brutal on the field or in those cold seats in the stands

Line opened CLE +9 now about +8 or even +7', can the BROWNS steal one in the nasty weather? That would be great.

To be fair, if you're a winless team, you could have a lot worse than a 4-5 team on a run of four straight losses, and whose only real pass rush comes from a guy who was drafted before the invention of the forward pass. Maybe Kessler will have the time in the pocket and confidence to let it rip downfield a bit more...

Their suspect secondary should be susceptible, if we can run at all. Heyward out helps prospects of a run game, however Shazier is expected to be back.

My fear is Kess throwing downfield without committing to the throws. Uncertainty around what he is seeing is the reason he has not been going there with any regularity, and he won't overcome that with a benching and one more week of coaching emphasis.

And clearly one or two shots is not going to do the trick. The winner of this game looks for all the world to have to post 35+.

Something in our favour is Pryor and Coleman's ability to go up and get a jump-ball so as long as there's enough air on it we should be ok. It was a very pretty throw to DeValve, but it was still a touch throw, and only 25 yards or whatever.

Not to mention Seth was wide open early, but even then the throw was not exactly on target...

Downfield is just not in Kess' "comfort zone" at this time.

This is not the same Steelers team that many of us are used to watching, and I think they know that. They've had issues with keeping their stars on the field, whether due to injury or suspension, and they appear to be a little disjointed. They gave the Cowboys hell last week, and that should scare everyone in the league because I don't know a hotter team than Dallas. Honestly, the Steelers SHOULD'VE won, but their propensity to go for two, rather than kick extra points, really burned them. I believe they were 0-4 on two point conversions, and that's unacceptable. Other than last week, the Steelers have been pretty damn good with their two point attempts, but it certainly cost them in a very big game.

I'm not sure what our defense's percentage is of keeping the opposition out of the end zone on two pointers, but I'm not thinking it's very good. Again, I could be wrong, but our defense is bad at everything else, why would THIS be different?

Obviously you play to win the game, but barely losing to the Cowboys is still pretty significant. You saw what they did to US, and it was scary. We literally couldn't do anything against the Boys, and we CERTAINLY couldn't come close to stopping them. I think we had the ball in the second half about 48 seconds. All kidding aside, we have to hope that this "rivalry" will bring out the best in our team, and give us that edge we need to compete, because I have to be honest with you, it doesn't look good at ALL for us this weekend.

We've all heard how Hue Jackson was pretty rough on Cody, and it was driven home on his benching against the Ravens. Hue has since backed off some of his statements, and even conceded that he was a little tough on the kid. I was very happy to see this, as I felt the criticism on Cody and statements like "it's the QB's job to win the game" was total crap. We're going to put the entire game on the shoulders of a rookie who NEVER has a running game, never has time to throw, and is virtually ALWAYS down in the score. Could Cody be better? Of course he could, but he's taking care of the ball. To me, that's the HARD part. In time, I believe he'll have the chance to figure out when to take shots, when to look down field, and when to audible to a more successful play. But the good news is that he takes care of the ball, and I believe that's significant.

I think we all realize how potent the Steelers' offense can be, but the interesting thing is how poorly their defensive is performing (statistically, anyway). They don't have an immense pass rush, and their best player at getting to the QB is probably the ageless James Harrison....who always seems to knock Browns out of consciousness. If I'm Cody, I'm probably terrified, LOL. Even though the Steelers' defense isn't performing great, you can still be sure that they're going to bring all sorts of different blitzes. Yes, Cody is going to study his ass off, but you can bet he's going to get lit up a few times because we'll still have Cam "Can't Find My Own Ass" Erving in there.

So what can we do? Well, we MUST find a way to run the ball, and I don't care if it's a gimmicky type thing. I don't care if it's Pryor or Hogan running the shotgun, or if we run the ball from a more traditional formation, but I DO KNOW that we MUST run the damn ball to keep the Steelers honest and to keep our 3rd downs more manageable. We CANNOT have perpetual 3rd and longs and expect success, and we can't have this "use the pass to set up the run" type crap. We need to line up, hit people in the mouth, and grind out some damn yards. I don't care if it's a 3 yard gain. I don't want to see our backs getting hit in the backfield, and I want to see some offensive creativity. I want a reverse with Coleman or Pryor, and possibly a reverse throw. I'd love a direct snap to Duke Johnson, or a jet sweep to Coleman. I also want to see Hue Jackson figure out a way to scheme up some protection so Cody can launch it deep. As I've said before, I saw a few times where we had the play in to go to a deeper route, but Cody didn't have time. Either we bring in an extra protector, roll the pocket to the right, or do something tricky (flea flicker?), we MUST take some shots this game, and I don't care if it's a long interception.

If...IF...we're going to win a game, this one would certainly be the one in my book. Not saying we're going to win, I don't believe that at ALL...but it sure would be sweet to a dejected, frustrated crowd. Go Browns, baby. One time...

Ultimately I still think the Bengals are the most talented team in the division ....and should ultimately win it. But...they ARE the Bungles...and are doing what they can to bungle this AFCW race.

Who is next talented: Pittsburgh or Balt. Pitt has the slightly better offensive talent imo. BR over Flacco, A. Brown over any Balt WR. Bell over ...West?

Ravens have the better defense though. Steelers defense basically a sham. (though...sure, they will probably handle our OLine)

9-7 at best wins the division....or...maybe 8-7-1?

Cinci plays Ravens twice. Jan.1st game could be for the division crown. Only other winning teams they play are the 5-4 Eagles and the 6-3 Texans.

Two games vs. Browns gives Steelers a seemingly easier schedule the rest of the way. They also have Bengals/Ravens/Bills/Colts and Giants left.

Ravens have the toughest road: Cowboys/Patriots, Dolphins who are hot, Eagles, two vs. Bengals, Steelers. It is plausible that they might not win another game.

Ultimately I still think the Bengals are the most talented team in the division ....and should ultimately win it. But...they ARE the Bungles...and are doing what they can to bungle this AFCW race.

Not sure about "most talented" anymore... even in the relatively weak AFCN... ;)

It had clearly been the case for a couple years, but they lost too many WRs. Plus losing Hue seems to have hurt as well. May hinge on Eifert's contributions, which when healthy are considerable.

Most balanced? I think that title is still theirs and it's really not close. Run/pass and Off/Def... no one else in our division is even close.

Not sure about "most talented" anymore... even in the relatively weak AFCN... ;)

I think man for man they are more talented than the other 2 teams...errr, 3 teams.

Now.....along with that seems to be the fact they they are certainly underachieving this year so far.

It had clearly been the case for a couple years, but they lost too many WRs. Plus losing Hue seems to have hurt as well. May hinge on Eifert's contributions, which when healthy are considerable.

Still, with AJ Green they have one of the most talented players in the game at WR. Not sure about their other WRs. And yes, the intangible of losing Hue is a factor we can't really quantify....unless you want to look at their W/L record.

Most balanced? I think that title is still theirs and it's really not close. Run/pass and Off/Def... no one else in our division is even close.

Yes...but, again, there is that underachieving thing.

Archived