THE BROWNS BOARD

Best modern guitarist

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By modern I mean somebody who's heyday wasn't 30+ years ago. This isn't a question about the hendrix, page, Clapton and van halen's of yesteryear. We all know they were/are great

Hey it possibly might mean current as in today. Not those old stick-in-the-mud has beens from 50 years ago or your favorite guys from twenty years ago.

:)

WSS

My phrasing is mainly to dissuade Gipper from classifying van Halen as modern

To me, Van Halen would be modern....even by your definition.

So....let's ask this.....do any of the "modern" guys you may come up with measure up to Hendrix, Clapton, Townshend, Harrison...or Van Halen?

(and why has there been not much in the way of contribution to this thread...other than to discuss the "old" guy).

And you know what this guy said: Rock n Roll hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died.Picture+2.png

To me, Van Halen would be modern....even by your definition.

So....let's ask this.....do any of the "modern" guys you may come up with measure up to Hendrix, Clapton, Townshend, Harrison...or Van Halen?

(and why has there been not much in the way of contribution to this thread...other than to discuss the "old" guy).

And you know what this guy said: Rock n Roll hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died.Picture+2.png

Not to seem disloyal to my generation depending on what parameters you assign which would include technical virtuosity, I don't see how George Harrison or Eric Clapton make it onto the list. As opposed to Glen Campbell, Roy Clark Steve Vai, Al di Meola, Duane Allman, Warren Haynes etc etc.

WSS

Maybe somebody here thinks the kid in the Black Keys doesn't suck?

WSS

Auerbach is ok. Little black submarines has a nice jam at the end where he conjures up a bit of zeppelin esqe vibe. In terms of what music is these days he's way ahead of typical 3 chord power ballading. Jack white is way ahead of him though.

Slash can be argued as modern. He's still actively playing with myles Kennedy. I never put an age limit on it but I don't want to hear about guys who haven't put out a song since 1975.

Andy mckee though not well known is an amazing guitar player. I chose jack white as the greatest modern guitar player due to his talent and his pretty well known library. He even has an arguably iconic riff in 'seven nation army'

I didn't ask for top five and I posted it at 8 this morning. If you don't have anything to add and you can't speak on it why don't you go elsewhere and let sone other people decide if they do or can

Because this is a silly thread and deserves to be nuked.

You asked for who the best guitarists of the last 25 years....yet you don't want anyone to list even like their top 5?

Here are a few that I do know just off the top of my head.....and I am by no means an afficionado of current guitar players....just a few I have seen bits and pieces of:

The local guy from Firestone High: Dan Auerbach

Jack White (riff from Nine Mile nation or whatever that song is now a staple at sporting events)

Derek Trucks...considered top blues guy

Skrillex. ...don't know his shit, just know his name.

What about Vai/Satriani/Bonnamassa.......I assumed these guys have been around too long to qualify for you.

Keep in mind the days of becoming a radio star are largely done unless you're a Taylor Swift / Beyonce type

Ah but that's always been the case. Hot guitar players very rarely make it into the radio sweetheart role.

I don't think I've heard as many successors to the guitar thrown in the last 20 years as we did back a few decades ago. I'm sure there are still great ones, I'm just not aware.

WSS

Ah but that's always been the case. Hot guitar players very rarely make it into the radio sweetheart role.

Exactly.....probably some of the very best aren't even in a known band per se and could just be studio studs.....being a drummer, I would use Hal Blaine as an example.....he never was the drummer in a famous band and very few people(except us drummers) even know who he is....

But....he is the most recorded drummer in history and even drummed on many albums for bands that had drummers.....just to make it right......including most of the hits from the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkle, Tony Bennet, Herb Alpert, John Denver, Barbara Striesand, The Monkees, The Supremes, Neil Diamond and hundreds of others.....

A few of the songs he played on were Mr. Tamborine man....Monday Monday....I got you Babe...Strangers in the night....The way we were....Love will keep us together....Good Vibrations....Bridge over troubled waters.....and hundreds more...

Same with Steve Gadd.....the best drummer EVER....yet, everyone is like....Steve who?......if you dont know him, think about that wicked opening shuffle on Paul Simons 50 ways to leave your lover.....or Steely Dans Aja.....or just about anything from Eric Clapton.....simply a drum god!

Because this is a silly thread and deserves to be nuked.

You asked for who the best guitarists of the last 25 years....yet you don't want anyone to list even like their top 5?

Here are a few that I do know just off the top of my head.....and I am by no means an afficionado of current guitar players....just a few I have seen bits and pieces of:

The local guy from Firestone High: Dan Auerbach

Jack White (riff from Nine Mile nation or whatever that song is now a staple at sporting events)

Derek Trucks...considered top blues guy

Skrillex. ...don't know his shit, just know his name.

What about Vai/Satriani/Bonnamassa.......I assumed these guys have been around too long to qualify for you.

Jesus Gipper lawyer much? You can name as many as you want as long as they're not the sainted 60s and 70s guys. Even the van Halen heyday was 30 years ago. Just because you don't like a topic and it's not your idea doesn't make it stupid.

Archived